UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Why play Hiwassee?
blazerjay Offline

I Root For: UAB
Donators
Why play Hiwassee?
Quote:Haase anticipated a question about why UAB is playing a non-Division I team midway through the season and shared his reasons for it.

"It's a combination of before Christmas, being able to continue to work on what we're working on," Haase said. "It's a combination of trying to get our RPI to the highest we possibly can. Since we lost a couple of games early, our RPI (147, per realtimerpi.com) is not where it needs to be, but when we play a non-Division I, it does not hurt your RPI or help it. It's like it never happened.

"In terms of the grand scheme of things, it's a balancing act when you do scheduling and we thought this was the right time and right place to play a non-Division I."

AL.com:UAB taking break from Division I competition with game against Hiwassee College
(This post was last modified: 12-22-2015 11:05 AM by blazerjay.)
12-22-2015 11:04 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

The Answer UAB Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB!!!
RE: Why play Hiwassee?
Still doesn't make sense. Put the USC upstate or myriad of other cupcakes on our schedule in this slot. Add another D1 cupcake if nothing else. This game
Does nothing for us..
12-22-2015 11:22 AM
blazers9911 Offline
Hall of Famer

Survivor Runner-up
(12-22-2015 11:22 AM)The Answer UAB Wrote:  Still doesn't make sense. Put the USC upstate or myriad of other cupcakes on our schedule in this slot. Add another D1 cupcake if nothing else. This game
Does nothing for us..

Technically it helps our rpi. Playing another 300+ team at home actually makes the rpi number worse.
12-22-2015 11:35 AM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Another cupcake drops our RPI further.

UAB needs so many home games to fill out a season ticket package. He can't get good tams to come to Bartow so he fills an empty slot with someone that doesn't affect the RPI.
(This post was last modified: 12-22-2015 11:41 AM by Memphis Blazer.)
12-22-2015 11:35 AM
Big Dee Offline
Banned

I Root For: The U, UaB
Go on the road and get exposure for the round of 32 team returning, some SEC away game involving UaB could get picked up for TV.
12-22-2015 11:37 AM
BlazerGold09 Offline
All American

Lots of talk about it on Twitter right now. In my opinion, Haase and the ADep couldn't get a game scheduled. It's possible we could have had a D1 opponent that backed out for whatever reason. I believe it was as a combination of our football/conference affiliation debacle and our NCAA run.
12-22-2015 11:45 AM
Advertisement

Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(12-22-2015 11:37 AM)Big Dee Wrote:  Go on the road and get exposure for the round of 32 team returning, some SEC away game involving UaB could get picked up for TV.

Like, say Auburn.
12-22-2015 11:55 AM
Big Dee Offline
Banned

(12-22-2015 11:55 AM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  
(12-22-2015 11:37 AM)Big Dee Wrote:  Go on the road and get exposure for the round of 32 team returning, some SEC away game involving UaB could get picked up for TV.

Like, say Auburn.

Nall, Alabama.

Mizz,Tenn,LSU,VANDY,Ark, and Fla pretty sure coach White owes UaB a beat down still tech didn't make the big dance.
12-22-2015 12:36 PM
BlazerGold09 Offline
All American

Scheduling is a nightmare these days for good mid-majors. SFA had 7 open spots in June! They play 4 D2 teams this year. Most in NCAA. Tied with Eastern Michigan.

http://sawmillsports.com/2015/08/underwo...-play-sfa/
12-22-2015 12:38 PM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

(12-22-2015 12:38 PM)BlazerGold09 Wrote:  Scheduling is a nightmare these days for good mid-majors. SFA had 7 open spots in June! They play 4 D2 teams this year. Most in NCAA. Tied with Eastern Michigan.

Don't they know that all they have to do is what Big Dee expects Haase to do. Call a team, tell him what time they will be there to play and expect them to put them on the schedule.

Newsflash to the dense: Teams in Power conferences don't want good mid majors to come into their building and beat them. It makes their fans unhappy and ruins the delusion that they are so much better than said mid majors. Nor do they want to go to the mid-majors arenas and play games.

This is not a Haase problem. He is not the first UAB coach to deal with scheduling problems. This problem was had by Davis, Anderson, M. Bartow and even Gene Bartow. It's a problem all good teams have that is not in a major conference.

I am not going to criticize a coach for a schedule when these problems have gone on for decades. Some here just want to use it as a weapon to beat up on a coach they don't like.
12-22-2015 01:02 PM
Pavy78 Offline
Special Teams

The big question is... Will everyone here that's complaining be warming a seat at Bartow tonight? I'll be there (+1) just as if we were playing UNC.
12-22-2015 01:02 PM
Advertisement

blazerjay Offline

Donators
(12-22-2015 01:02 PM)Pavy78 Wrote:  The big question is... Will everyone here that's complaining be warming a seat at Bartow tonight? I'll be there (+1) just as if we were playing UNC.

I'll be there as always.
12-22-2015 03:03 PM
58-56 Offline
Blazer Revolutionary

I Root For: Fire Ray Watts

BlazerTalk Award
(12-22-2015 01:02 PM)Pavy78 Wrote:  The big question is... Will everyone here that's complaining be warming a seat at Bartow tonight? I'll be there (+1) just as if we were playing UNC.

I will be there!

There's never a bad time to chant Fire Ray Watts!
12-22-2015 04:50 PM
rook360 Offline
All American

So what happen to "Let's Coach handle it?"
Memphis is right. P5 teams don't want to play G5 teams that can show them up. I'd you've been in this board long enough you know that.
And Haase can't help scheduling all the time. He's doing what's best for Bball. It's a fan's right to complain, but aim it at the right target. The P5 teams who are scared to play us at home.
12-22-2015 05:46 PM
BTR Offline
The Royal Order of Rooster

I Root For: UAB!!!

Folding@NCAAbbsBlazerTalk AwardDonators
Why play Hiwassee?

I will be there +3
12-22-2015 06:12 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
(12-22-2015 05:46 PM)rook360 Wrote:  So what happen to "Let's Coach handle it?"
Memphis is right. P5 teams don't want to play G5 teams that can show them up. I'd you've been in this board long enough you know that.
And Haase can't help scheduling all the time. He's doing what's best for Bball. It's a fan's right to complain, but aim it at the right target. The P5 teams who are scared to play us at home.

Who a team DOES play is public record for all to see. Who they have REFUSED to play is not so publicly known. There are G5 teams that feel their records are good enough to warrant H&H contracts with P5 teams, but they can't get "past the front door" in scheduling many of those teams.
12-22-2015 06:34 PM
Advertisement

Big Dee Offline
Banned

(12-22-2015 01:02 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  
(12-22-2015 12:38 PM)BlazerGold09 Wrote:  Scheduling is a nightmare these days for good mid-majors. SFA had 7 open spots in June! They play 4 D2 teams this year. Most in NCAA. Tied with Eastern Michigan.

Don't they know that all they have to do is what Big Dee expects Haase to do. Call a team, tell him what time they will be there to play and expect them to put them on the schedule.

Newsflash to the dense: Teams in Power conferences don't want good mid majors to come into their building and beat them. It makes their fans unhappy and ruins the delusion that they are so much better than said mid majors. Nor do they want to go to the mid-majors arenas and play games.

This is not a Haase problem. He is not the first UAB coach to deal with scheduling problems. This problem was had by Davis, Anderson, M. Bartow and even Gene Bartow. It's a problem all good teams have that is not in a major conference.

I am not going to criticize a coach for a schedule when these problems have gone on for decades. Some here just want to use it as a weapon to beat up on a coach they don't like.

When did I said I don't like Haase oh sense one? So you pick one G5 team who was actually great last year and its par the course for all? I could potentially see it being a G Bartow and Anderson problem.
12-22-2015 06:56 PM
UAB Band Dad Offline
Occasionally Reasonable

I Root For: A Free UAB!
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award

That's wonderful. We still require a given number of home games.
12-22-2015 08:47 PM
Big Dee Offline
Banned

(12-22-2015 08:47 PM)UAB Band Dad Wrote:  

That's wonderful. We still require a given number of home games.

Great, stick to weak schedules and low turnout numbers
12-22-2015 09:14 PM
KevMo4UAB Offline
#FreeUAB

Middle Tennessee is scheduled to play Trevecca Nazarene on Dec. 30th.

http://www.tnutrojans.com/schedule/0/6.php

Western Kentucky plays Brescia on Dec. 28th.

http://www.bresciabearcats.com/schedule/0/1.php

LA Tech has already played Millsaps and LSU-Shreveport.
(This post was last modified: 12-23-2015 10:02 AM by KevMo4UAB.)
12-23-2015 09:56 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.