Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Which ACC football teams need to schedule for 6 wins?
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
Exclamation Which ACC football teams need to schedule for 6 wins?
BC has been discussed in another thread, but really the question should be opened up to the rest of the league: which teams should stop trying to schedule for strength of schedule and start scheduling for 4 non-conference wins?

BC is probably one, and I'd definitely add NC State, Syracuse and Wake Forest from the Atlantic. In the Coastal, Duke and UVa should forget the playoffs and get to a bowl game as well (something Duke is already doing, by the way). Are there others that need to "get real"?
12-21-2015 12:29 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

dawgitall Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU/ASU/NCSU
RE: Which ACC football teams need to schedule for 6 wins?
(12-21-2015 12:29 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  BC has been discussed in another thread, but really the question should be opened up to the rest of the league: which teams should stop trying to schedule for strength of schedule and start scheduling for 4 non-conference wins?

BC is probably one, and I'd definitely add NC State, Syracuse and Wake Forest from the Atlantic. In the Coastal, Duke and UVa should forget the playoffs and get to a bowl game as well (something Duke is already doing, by the way). Are there others that need to "get real"?

I would think schools need to strike a balance between under and over scheduling. These teams need to avoid scheduling FCS schools and try and schedule G5 that are traditionally strong and P5 that are winnable. Regional games are good but State, Wake and Duke needs to be playing ASU, Georgia Southern or ECU, not WCU, ODU and Charlotte.
12-21-2015 01:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
WakeForestRanger Offline
1st String

I Root For: Wake Forest
Wake's current scheduling philosophy is fine.
12-21-2015 01:40 PM
cavman Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UVa, UofL
(12-21-2015 12:29 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  BC has been discussed in another thread, but really the question should be opened up to the rest of the league: which teams should stop trying to schedule for strength of schedule and start scheduling for 4 non-conference wins?

The wolfpack have been feeding on garbage for years and padding their record. They are consistently playing the easiest out of conference schedules in the ACC and actually among the easiest in the country. They were ranked #127 in the nation this year.
https://www.teamrankings.com/college-foo...2015-12-21
They need to do a little more the other direction.
12-21-2015 02:01 PM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
There are two independents that would probably love to have home and home arrangements with ACC teams: UMass and Army. Given that several ACC teams who need OOC wins also have small enough stadiums that seven home games isn't as important, we could accommodate them easily.

Both those indies would be good fits for at least BC, Syracuse and Wake, and possibly Duke as well.
12-21-2015 02:04 PM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-21-2015 02:01 PM)cavman Wrote:  

The wolfpack have been feeding on garbage for years
and padding their record. They are consistently playing the easiest out of conference schedules in the ACC and actually among the easiest in the country. They were ranked #127 in the nation this year.
https://www.teamrankings.com/college-foo...2015-12-21
They need to do a little more the other direction.

That's certainly true in recent years, but not necessarily over the long haul. But given that State averages fewer than 4 conference wins a year (3.35 over the past 20 years) it is in both their and the league's interest that they schedule for at least three OOC wins a year. If they have rival ECU fairly often, that doesn't leave a lot of room for other strong opponents.
12-21-2015 02:10 PM
Advertisement

nole Offline
1st String

I Root For: FSU
Virginia overschedules way too much. It is nuts.
(This post was last modified: 12-21-2015 03:03 PM by nole.)
12-21-2015 03:03 PM
Lucy Offline
All American

DonatorsCrappies
(12-21-2015 02:04 PM)ken d Wrote:  There are two independents that would probably love to have home and home arrangements with ACC teams: UMass and Army. Given that several ACC teams who need OOC wins also have small enough stadiums that seven home games isn't as important, we could accommodate them easily.

Both those indies would be good fits for at least BC, Syracuse and Wake, and possibly Duke as well.

Wake has been scheduling both Army & Navy to home & homes.
12-21-2015 03:19 PM
EvilVodka Offline
stuff

I Root For: FSU LSU
(12-21-2015 03:03 PM)nole Wrote:  Virginia overschedules way too much. It is nuts.

exactly

Honestly I'd say Miami and Virginia

I know these things are done years in advance, but it wouldn't hurt to have a couple years of light schedules while you build your program and a winning tradition....

This year Virginia played @ UCLA, and home against Notre Dame, Wililam & Mary, and Boise State....they went 1-3

Miami needs some lay-ups so they can get back to pounding people

If Miami, NC, and Virginia all grow, then look out...this conference is about to transform
12-21-2015 03:48 PM
EvilVodka Offline
stuff

I Root For: FSU LSU
(12-21-2015 03:19 PM)Lucy Wrote:  
(12-21-2015 02:04 PM)ken d Wrote:  There are two independents that would probably love to have home and home arrangements with ACC teams: UMass and Army. Given that several ACC teams who need OOC wins also have small enough stadiums that seven home games isn't as important, we could accommodate them easily.

Wake has been scheduling both Army & Navy to home & homes.

Navy is pretty good....I'd favor them to beat WF
12-21-2015 03:49 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams

Excellent post! 04-clap2

BTW, now that Navy is in the AAC they won't have nearly as many OOC openings as Army, but UMass should have plenty of weekends free.
12-21-2015 06:55 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

WakeForestRanger Offline
1st String

Wake has six games scheduled with Army plus one with Air Force but Navy has dropped off the schedule since they joined the AAC.
12-22-2015 12:31 AM
WakeForestRanger Offline
1st String

Utah State is the only team we have scheduled that I don't think we should be playing and that one was a 2 for 1 deal.

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/acc/wake...eacons.php
12-22-2015 12:33 AM
Marge Schott Offline
Banned

I Root For: YouAreButtHurt
(12-22-2015 12:33 AM)WakeForestRanger Wrote:  Utah State is the only team we have scheduled that I don't think we should be playing and that one was a 2 for 1 deal.

Why shouldn't you play them?
12-22-2015 08:31 AM
Marge Schott Offline
Banned

I Root For: YouAreButtHurt
If "scheduling for 6 wins" means "scheduling 4 ooc opponents that you expect you will go 4-0 against rather often because long-term your program just isn't strong enough to regularly make bowls otherwise", then Wake, BC, Cuse, Duke and UVA are all in that category at present. All of those schools save for Duke are pretty awful right now, and Duke is going to fall back to their historical norm eventually. I hold Pitt, NC State and UNC in that mid-tier regard that kind of ebbs and flows from season to season. GT will almost always make a bowl even if their coach is pathetic. And everybody else (FSU, Clemson, VT, UL, Miami) have proven their worth over the last 10-25 years.
12-22-2015 08:40 AM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
(12-22-2015 08:31 AM)Marge Schott Wrote:  
(12-22-2015 12:33 AM)WakeForestRanger Wrote:  Utah State is the only team we have scheduled that I don't think we should be playing and that one was a 2 for 1 deal.

I'm interested in hearing that too...If you recvd a 2 for 1...that is a pretty good deal. I hate playing games west though...
12-22-2015 09:18 AM
Advertisement

TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
(12-22-2015 08:31 AM)Marge Schott Wrote:  

I'm interested in hearing that too...If you recvd a 2 for 1...that is a pretty good deal. I hate playing games west though...
12-22-2015 09:18 AM
WakeForestRanger Offline
1st String

Utah State is a team that is more than capable of beating us in a recruiting wasteland. The game has no chance of getting on tv. They also do not have a name that will draw casual fans to fill up the stands either.

Why should we play them?
(This post was last modified: 12-22-2015 09:45 AM by WakeForestRanger.)
12-22-2015 09:41 AM
WakeForestRanger Offline
1st String

Charlotte or Old Dominion make much better sense for the slot Utah State took up.
12-22-2015 09:47 AM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-22-2015 09:47 AM)WakeForestRanger Wrote:  Charlotte or Old Dominion make much better sense for the slot Utah State took up.

Agree. Charlotte seems like a natural fit for both schools.
12-22-2015 09:53 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.