Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

President Baker in the dog house?
Bookmark and Share
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU
President Baker in the dog house?
Seems that President Baker is under some type of investigation by a watch dog group and possibly the IL Inspector General.

http://m.daily-chronicle.com/2015/11/09/...43/?page=1

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015...t-doug-ba/
(This post was last modified: 12-21-2015 10:42 AM by HuskieJohn.)
12-21-2015 10:42 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BarsemaBone2 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU, White Sox
RE: President Baker in the dog house?
I posted this in an earlier thread.

Stems from a guy named Keith Jackson, who apparently was a Controller at the university and was one of the people charged in the "coffee-gate" investigation, although the charges were eventually dropped.

He filed a Civil Rights lawsuit against NIU in October of this year after the university tried to fire him.

http://www.daily-chronicle.com/2015/10/0...s/acyiv90/

No offense, but to me this seems like one of EW's old buddies who's pissed off because Baker & the BOT tried to boot him and took away his power.

His wife is the one who filed the complaint with the Inspector General's office and based on her quotes in the DC story, where she says she didn't like the way Baker was brought in (probably because it meant her husband and EW's buddies were on their way out), I think it confirms that he's one of EW's people who's pissed off because Baker was brought in, and that in and of itself gets him no sympathy from me.
(This post was last modified: 12-21-2015 11:10 AM by BarsemaBone2.)
12-21-2015 10:59 AM
BarsemaBone2 Offline
All American

Also, judging by the comments in the original DC article (and yes, I know it's not wise to read the comments, but I did so anyway), many of which mention things like University Village and other changes that have happened in the last 5 years, it sounds even more like this came about because Baker cleaned house after he was brought in and this is people trying to get back at him.
12-21-2015 11:22 AM
NIU75 Offline
All American

Whatever happen to EW? They had him on the ropes then it just faded away.
12-21-2015 11:40 AM
Advertisement

BarsemaBone2 Offline
All American

(12-21-2015 11:40 AM)NIU75 Wrote:  Whatever happen to EW? They had him on the ropes then it just faded away.

He resigned and just pretty much faded away as you said. Seems like a couple of his buddies are still around though, which is probably the genesis of this entire thing.
12-21-2015 11:50 AM
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

Can the MODS merge the 2 threads?
12-21-2015 11:56 AM
Doggone Offline
1st String

(12-21-2015 11:50 AM)BarsemaBone2 Wrote:  
(12-21-2015 11:40 AM)NIU75 Wrote:  Whatever happen to EW? They had him on the ropes then it just faded away.

He resigned and just pretty much faded away as you said. Seems like a couple of his buddies are still around though, which is probably the genesis of this entire thing.

He still has family working for NIU.
12-21-2015 12:25 PM
Advertisement

BarsemaBone2 Offline
All American

(12-21-2015 12:25 PM)Doggone Wrote:  
(12-21-2015 11:50 AM)BarsemaBone2 Wrote:  

He still has family working for NIU.

That would make sense.
12-21-2015 12:27 PM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

Oh, Illinois politics how I love thee.......
12-21-2015 01:17 PM
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU Huskies

Donators
(12-21-2015 01:17 PM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  Oh, Illinois politics how I love thee.......

Then I think you should move here. We need to start replacing all the people who have left the state or there won't be anyone left here.
12-21-2015 01:37 PM
Advertisement

Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

(12-21-2015 01:37 PM)Dog Fan Wrote:  
(12-21-2015 01:17 PM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  Oh, Illinois politics how I love thee.......

Then I think you should move here. We need to start replacing all the people who have left the state or there won't be anyone left here.

I left in 2005 and turned down a promotion and a full relocation back to Illinois in 2008. I knew what was good for me and my family.
12-21-2015 01:42 PM
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU Huskies

Donators
(12-21-2015 01:42 PM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  
(12-21-2015 01:37 PM)Dog Fan Wrote:  

I left in 2005 and turned down a promotion and a full relocation back to Illinois in 2008. I knew what was good for me and my family.

Come back, LS, come back! I'll try to pull some strings and get you an autographed picture of Michael Madigan and one of Governor Rauner's flannel farmer shirts.
12-21-2015 01:48 PM
GeorgeBorkFan Offline
All American

I Root For:
A couple of things...

If this is truly related to EW affiliated people, I'd wait for all the facts to come out.

If one chooses to read the comments attached to the article, I'd take those with a grain of salt, especially those generated by one specific poster. Motivations for comments aren't always clear.
12-21-2015 04:14 PM
Advertisement

uiniu57 Offline
All American

I Root For: Amanda Sauer
(12-21-2015 10:59 AM)BarsemaBone2 Wrote:  No offense, but to me this seems like one of EW's old buddies who's pissed off because Baker & the BOT tried to boot him and took away his power.
His wife is the one who filed the complaint with the Inspector General's office and based on her quotes in the DC story, where she says she didn't like the way Baker was brought in (probably because it meant her husband and EW's buddies were on their way out), I think it confirms that he's one of EW's people who's pissed off because Baker was brought in, and that in and of itself gets him no sympathy from me.

As Lee Corso would say: Not so fast.
First and foremost, never was a fan of EW, but his exit was in place before Baker took over. No idea if these are EW's buddies or not, but here's a link to an article entitled Cronyism and Procurement Violations at NIU:

http://edgarcountywatchdogs.com/category/feature/ (scroll down about two-thirds to find this)

Key parts include the following: ...Baker apparently determined a new senior administrative position [Senior Associate Vice President for Human Resources (SAVP)]. ...hard to reconcile the creation of new position with claims he was reducing senior level administrative positions.
Talance Group from Portland Oregon apparently submitted the best proposal ...signed effective November 21, 2014. (NIU) requires at least three references from higher education institutions of like size that have had experience with the Vendor providing solutions similar to what is requested.” There is not one institution of higher education on their response, let alone one of comparable size. .... Questionable if Talance Group was "highly experienced," but consultant friend of Baker (Dr. Pfeiffer) was previous supervisor to a Ms. Cadaswan, who began assisting Baker back in April of 2014. After first FOIA (Freedom of Information Act) was submitted, NIU decided to cancel the contract.

Not long after Baker was hired, NIU paid a consultant a six-figure salary similar to what Baker was getting as a president to make recommendations on a master plan. That's the one that talked about connecting NIU to a dead downtown DeKalb, buying up old Johnson Street homes, etc. with no indication how any of this would be paid for, disregarding the current economic state of Illinois and the decreasing funding for education.

It's one thing to hire a Sean Frazier with a background rooted in places like Alabama and Wisconsin, and it's another to get a spud from Idaho, an institution almost everyone on this board loathes from an athletic standpoint. What Moscow, ID, and the Vandals have that relates to DeKalb and the Huskies was then and remains a mystery. Word on campus is that Frazier and athletics have to beg for Baker's attention.

Today, local radio stations were reporting that members of the BOT are concerned because the Boston legal firm Baker has to defend him (something he had added to his contract to come to NIU) charges at a higher rate than what is allowed under NIU's budget. Since the university is obligated to pay despite the lack of funds coming from Springfield, this definitely has an impact on the university finances.
Thanks to the clods on both sides in Springfield, building on the new Stevens Building had to be stopped because of a lack of funds. Unfortunately, NIU had to come up with thousands to winterize the partial structure or else the partial building would not make it that theoretical point in time when funds will exist to complete the project.

Then came a follow-up entitled: NIU's Intentional Abuse of State Procurement and Travel Rules.

arcountywatchdogs.com/2015/12/nius-intentional-abuse-of-state-procurement-and-travel-rules/

Once again, it's revealed a consulting firm hired is run by another friend of Baker's. Like any organization of size, there is no limit on stupid decisions or people scratching the backs of people who then return the scratch. Sadly, much-hated ex-AD Gerald O'Dell was a paid consultant to meet with NIU's athletic administration during a retreat in Wisconsin. Would be interesting to know if O'Dell spoke on hiring ala bringing Charlie Sadler to DeKalb.
(This post was last modified: 12-21-2015 07:09 PM by uiniu57.)
12-21-2015 07:08 PM
NIU75 Offline
All American

FOIA will follow the money. Checks are hard to hid if you do the digging. Nothing changes in the good old boys club, only the names.
12-21-2015 08:36 PM
spanky Offline
Bench Warmer

Most OCR complaints are the last act of a desperate person who was either:

1) fired with cause
2) eliminated due to budget reasons
3) restructuring

It could be something else. Just going with the odds here.
12-22-2015 01:56 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.