Open TigerLinks

NCAA Rules Violations - Worth the Risk?
Bookmark and Share
Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

I Root For: Tigers - GTG!

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
Memphis has been hit by NCAA sanctions resulting in vacating two Final Fours.

It is my belief that behavior (including "institutional control") resulting in an NCAA investigation and sanctions is not an option for the next basketball coach. It is just my opinion and I could be wrong.

Are you willing to accept NCAA sanctions as the price to pay for getting to the FF and beyond? Are you worried about the impact of an NCAA investigations and sanctions on our P-5 goal? Assume we will get caught (like in the past).
12-21-2015 08:59 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bubbapt Offline
Uh, what?

I Root For: Memphis

Donators
RE: NCAA Rules Violations - Worth the Risk?
I was going to answer, but it just occurred to me that the question shows how corrupt college sports are.

You can't even remove $8,000 in cash from a bank without inviting scrutiny from the feds, but somehow payments of as much as $500,000 can be made to college kids under the current system; just think Chris Webber, Albert Means, and Cam Newton, as just the ones made public.

We're asking coaches to violate laws that ordinarily would put people in prison.
12-21-2015 09:06 AM
Pony94 Offline

I Root For: SMU
The new rules are worse
12-21-2015 09:07 AM
fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
what really was our punishment the last time? We just had to vacate some wins and pay back some money.
12-21-2015 09:20 AM
bubbapt Offline
Uh, what?

Donators
(12-21-2015 09:20 AM)fsquid Wrote:  what really was our punishment the last time? We just had to vacate some wins and pay back some money.

And that penalty was for a family member's free plane ride and a sketchy SAT score, which were probably pretty small misdemeanors when compared with what was probably really going on with Furgate, WWW, etc.

And that probably pales in comparison with what's been going on at North Carolina, where fraud involving a couple thousand athletes is probably just the tip of the iceberg.
(This post was last modified: 12-21-2015 09:33 AM by bubbapt.)
12-21-2015 09:31 AM
btiger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
CrappiesDonators
(12-21-2015 08:59 AM)Tiger1983 Wrote:  Memphis has been hit by NCAA sanctions resulting in vacating two Final Fours.

It is my belief that behavior (including "institutional control") resulting in an NCAA investigation and sanctions is not an option for the next basketball coach. It is just my opinion and I could be wrong.

Are you willing to accept NCAA sanctions as the price to pay for getting to the FF and beyond? Are you worried about the impact of an NCAA investigations and sanctions on our P-5 goal? Assume we will get caught (like in the past).

well, we've only been to two final fours and it appears we have to cheat to get there

id like to get to a couple more so lets do it!!
12-21-2015 09:59 AM
Advertisement

Gray Avenger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS
The shame and humiliation which bad publicity and NCAA punishment brings has always been bad enough, but now the downside might be far worse: it would blow whatever chance we have for Big 12 membership. Such an end, of course, is precisely what nearby SEC schools hope for.
(This post was last modified: 12-21-2015 10:09 AM by Gray Avenger.)
12-21-2015 10:07 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HoopDreams Offline
Better Than Diamond Rings

I Root For: EXPECTATIONS
Obviously no one would accept an NCAA run then sanctions if it affected membership to a P5.

But some of us are getting old as well - we'll likely see another Final Four run before the school is ever invited to sit at the big boys table.

Just win, baby.
12-21-2015 10:08 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ksigtigerdood Offline
Heisman

The biggest violations within the last 3 years have been made by North Carolina, SMU, and Louisville. Here's how they currently stack up:

North Carolina: #11 in AP Poll
SMU: #18 in AP Poll
Louisville: #19 in AP Poll
12-21-2015 10:12 AM
Brother Bluto Offline
Banned

I Root For: Jamammy
So we should keep Josh because he hasn't been caught yet?
12-21-2015 10:21 AM
fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
(12-21-2015 09:59 AM)btiger Wrote:  
(12-21-2015 08:59 AM)Tiger1983 Wrote:  Memphis has been hit by NCAA sanctions resulting in vacating two Final Fours.

well, we've only been to two final fours and it appears we have to cheat to get there

thought we've been to three?
12-21-2015 10:32 AM
Advertisement

btiger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
CrappiesDonators
(12-21-2015 10:32 AM)fsquid Wrote:  
(12-21-2015 09:59 AM)btiger Wrote:  

thought we've been to three?

yeah, youre right.

two in the modern era
12-21-2015 10:43 AM
btiger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
CrappiesDonators
(12-21-2015 10:07 AM)Gray Avenger Wrote:  The shame and humiliation which bad publicity and NCAA punishment brings has always been bad enough, but now the downside might be far worse: it would blow whatever chance we have for Big 12 membership. Such an end, of course, is precisely what nearby SEC schools hope for.

I have yet to meet a single person that was ashamed or humiliated
12-21-2015 10:46 AM
Brother Bluto Offline
Banned

(12-21-2015 10:46 AM)btiger Wrote:  
(12-21-2015 10:07 AM)Gray Avenger Wrote:  The shame and humiliation which bad publicity and NCAA punishment brings has always been bad enough, but now the downside might be far worse: it would blow whatever chance we have for Big 12 membership. Such an end, of course, is precisely what nearby SEC schools hope for.

I've not met one outside of this board. That's for sure
12-21-2015 10:47 AM
HometownTiger Offline
Hall of Famer

If you look at the penalties for cheating and weigh them against the potential upside of cheating ... yes, I'd say they are worth the risk (especially if you're not a believer in the Memphis-P5 dream, like I am). Just get someone who knows how to do it...
(This post was last modified: 12-21-2015 11:03 AM by HometownTiger.)
12-21-2015 10:54 AM
Strat57 Offline
Rock & Roll Shaman

CrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
(12-21-2015 10:46 AM)btiger Wrote:  

Never lost a minute's sleep. 04-cheers
12-21-2015 11:25 AM
Advertisement

Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

I Root For: Tigers - GTG!

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
(12-21-2015 10:08 AM)HoopDreams Wrote:  Obviously no one would accept an NCAA run then sanctions if it affected membership to a P5.

But some of us are getting old as well - we'll likely see another Final Four run before the school is ever invited to sit at the big boys table.

Just win, baby.

It will be nice to belong to the P5 club so we do not have to worry as much about it.
12-21-2015 12:21 PM
Brother Bluto Offline
Banned

(12-21-2015 10:54 AM)HometownTiger Wrote:  If you look at the penalties for cheating and weigh them against the potential upside of cheating ... yes, I'd say they are worth the risk (especially if you're not a believer in the Memphis-P5 dream, like I am). Just get someone who knows how to do it...

VCU, Wichita St and Butler seemed to do it. Why can't we ?
12-21-2015 12:24 PM
HoopDreams Offline
Better Than Diamond Rings

I Root For: EXPECTATIONS
(12-21-2015 12:24 PM)Brother Bluto Wrote:  
(12-21-2015 10:54 AM)HometownTiger Wrote:  If you look at the penalties for cheating and weigh them against the potential upside of cheating ... yes, I'd say they are worth the risk (especially if you're not a believer in the Memphis-P5 dream, like I am). Just get someone who knows how to do it...

VCU, Wichita St and Butler seemed to do it. Why can't we ?

Right - Xavier, Dayton, Gonzaga, etc.
12-21-2015 12:26 PM
TigerBo Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Just follow the proven protocol...
12-21-2015 01:34 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.