Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

College football attendance drops for fifth straight year, but at slower rate
Transic_nyc Offline
1st String

I Root For: Return To Stability
College football attendance drops for fifth straight year, but at slower rate
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball...lower-rate

Quote:Football Bowl Subdivision attendance for home games averaged 43,288 fans per game, down less than 1 percent from 43,483 in 2014, according to a CBS Sports analysis of NCAA attendance data. Crowds declined by 4 percent in 2014.
12-18-2015 04:16 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

RutgersGuy Offline
All American

I Root For: Rutgers
RE: College football attendance drops for fifth straight year, but at slower rate
(12-18-2015 04:16 PM)Transic_nyc Wrote:  http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball...lower-rate

Quote:Football Bowl Subdivision attendance for home games averaged 43,288 fans per game, down less than 1 percent from 43,483 in 2014, according to a CBS Sports analysis of NCAA attendance data. Crowds declined by 4 percent in 2014.

Football is the one sport that is better to watch from home. The other 3 major sports in the US are more fun in person. Also fans at FB games have become more and more violent in the last few decades. Always AHoles fighting or throwing beer/drinks. Would never bring a kid or a woman to a FB game with me.
12-18-2015 04:38 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
RE: College football attendance drops for fifth straight year, but at slower rate
(12-18-2015 04:38 PM)RutgersGuy Wrote:  
(12-18-2015 04:16 PM)Transic_nyc Wrote:  http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball...lower-rate

Football is the one sport that is better to watch from home. The other 3 major sports in the US are more fun in person. Also fans at FB games have become more and more violent in the last few decades. Always AHoles fighting or throwing beer/drinks. Would never bring a kid or a woman to a FB game with me.

NFL games? I never see that at UC unless WVU is visiting.
12-18-2015 04:41 PM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

I Root For: NDSU/Minnesota
This statistic is vastly too simple to take serious.

- What if athletic depts. simply decided to make 1% fewer overall tickets available?? How do we know?

- More importantly, is the total overall ticket revenue also decreasing or increasing? That's what matters.
12-18-2015 04:54 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(12-18-2015 04:54 PM)MplsBison Wrote:  This statistic is vastly too simple to take serious.

- What if athletic depts. simply decided to make 1% fewer overall tickets available?? How do we know?

- More importantly, is the total overall ticket revenue also decreasing or increasing? That's what matters.

They have gone from 113 to 128 teams since 2000. That's the main reason it is declining. 9 of those additions were the last 5 years.

If you take out those 9 new schools, average attendance is:
2009 43,742
2010 44,401
2011 43,953
2012 43,864
2013 44,098
2014 43,986

So its been basically flat. The bigger issue is no shows. Those have grown in a lot of the bigger schools like Alabama and Georgia.
12-18-2015 07:29 PM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(12-18-2015 04:41 PM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  

The schools with the large t-shirt fan base (fans who never went to the school) are much more like NFL crowds than schools whose fan base consists mostly of alums and students. When I lived in Columbus, I saw it all the time in the Ohio State fan base. The t-shirt crowd would come in from out of town and act like they were at Mardi Gras-- drinking everything in sight, tearing crap up and wanting to fight. It would embarrass the hell out of the guys I knew who actually went to that school.
12-21-2015 03:38 PM
Advertisement

DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
It is the MAC schools that are bringing the attendance down a lot.
12-21-2015 03:40 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Carolina_Low_Country Offline
1st String

I Root For: Go Pirates
I bet if you took out the number of move ups from FCS the past ten years and compare just the FBS schools that have been playing FBS for ten years the attendance would have increased.
12-21-2015 03:43 PM
domer1978 Offline
All American

I Root For: Notre Dame/Chaos
(12-21-2015 03:38 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  

The schools with the large t-shirt fan base (fans who never went to the school) are much more like NFL crowds than schools whose fan base consists mostly of alums and students. When I lived in Columbus, I saw it all the time in the Ohio State fan base. The t-shirt crowd would come in from out of town and act like they were at Mardi Gras-- drinking everything in sight, tearing crap up and wanting to fight. It would embarrass the hell out of the guys I knew who actually went to that school.

Notre Dame fans may come off as arrogant but rarely hear them starting fights or doing the type of behavior you're describing . SO I wouldn't make that a blanket statement, for that matter Nebby ain't bad either.
12-21-2015 03:45 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-21-2015 03:43 PM)Carolina_Low_Country Wrote:  I bet if you took out the number of move ups from FCS the past ten years and compare just the FBS schools that have been playing FBS for ten years the attendance would have increased.

I would not say that. The only ones could be Charlotte and Georgia State, but the others have strong fan support.
12-21-2015 04:59 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
(12-21-2015 03:40 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  It is the MAC schools that are bringing the attendance down a lot.

The MAC schools have been around the whole time with the same relative attendance. It's mostly the startup schools dragging it all down.
12-22-2015 05:15 AM
Advertisement

nzmorange Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB
(12-21-2015 03:45 PM)domer1978 Wrote:  
(12-21-2015 03:38 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  

Notre Dame fans may come off as arrogant but rarely hear them starting fights or doing the type of behavior you're describing . SO I wouldn't make that a blanket statement, for that matter Nebby ain't bad either.

1. Wait. What?! Yeah you do.
2. Spoken like a true Notre Dame alum.
12-22-2015 06:42 PM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

(12-18-2015 07:29 PM)bullet Wrote:  
(12-18-2015 04:54 PM)MplsBison Wrote:  This statistic is vastly too simple to take serious.

They have gone from 113 to 128 teams since 2000. That's the main reason it is declining. 9 of those additions were the last 5 years.

If you take out those 9 new schools, average attendance is:
2009 43,742
2010 44,401
2011 43,953
2012 43,864
2013 44,098
2014 43,986

So its been basically flat. The bigger issue is no shows. Those have grown in a lot of the bigger schools like Alabama and Georgia.

Great point!

It all gets back to: what does attendance really matter??

A stadium has 60k seats for the last five years, and the program sells out every game for the last five years.

That means no growth, because there are no more physical seats to be had.

But ticket revenue can grow.

So, I conclude that the statistic is rather meaningless.
12-23-2015 03:38 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-22-2015 05:15 AM)_C2_ Wrote:  
(12-21-2015 03:40 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  It is the MAC schools that are bringing the attendance down a lot.

The MAC schools have been around the whole time with the same relative attendance. It's mostly the startup schools dragging it all down.

Not UTSA, South Alabama and Old Dominion. They have a much better fan support than Georgia State and Charlotte. I saw the the Oklahoma State game against UTSA in San Antonio, and the stadium was packed full for a start up program, and UTSA could be a diamond in the rough in the future if they improved and start upsetting P5 schools like a couple of times they did against Arizona. They stayed close to Oklahoma State at home as well.
12-23-2015 03:59 PM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

UTSA needs to stop scheduling so strong until they get good, otherwise they will be a liability for attendance.
12-24-2015 06:56 AM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

And if San Antonio ever gets an NFL team, that could hurt UTSA attendance. Perhaps.
12-24-2015 12:47 PM
Advertisement

C2__ Offline
Caltex2

"Perhaps?" Not even a string a BCS title game runs would be able to salvage UTSA as big time if the Raiders moved there as rumored. The city already does all it can to support the Spurs. There's only so many corporate entertainment dollars to throw around and San Antonio is not close to being a major market. If you wanna be optimistic and say Austin is in the market, then they have UT.
12-24-2015 08:19 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

If you subtract Eastern Michigan, Akron, San Jose State and Georgia State from the overall picture? The fans may be in the possitive instead of down.
12-24-2015 09:41 PM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

And if you removed ten million guys from the picture, I'd have a shot at Kate Upton. The numbers are what they are and there's not one single outlier that dramatically drops the average nor one that significantly gives it rise.
12-25-2015 12:15 AM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports

Interesting assertion. It just isn't true.

Of the 9 FBS conferences which reported lower attendance, the MAC had the smallest decrease. They drew 664 fewer per game this year (0.3%). By contrast, the ACC and PAC were both down by 2.9%. The Sunbelt was down 7.8% and the MWC by 4.5%.

95% of the reduction in attendance was accounted for by the P5 conferences in aggregate.

The only conference to improve average attendance was the AAC, which drew 8.1% more fans than 2014.
12-25-2015 08:50 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.