Parrish Tweet - Pastner's and Calipari's Win Total at Memphis To Date
Bookmark and Share
Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

I Root For: Tigers - GTG!

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
Parrish Tweet - Pastner's and Calipari's Win Total at Memphis To Date
David Kellum (voice of the Black Bears Tweeted):
John Calipari in his 7th year at Memphis met Ole Miss in his 216th game & was 154-61. Josh Pastner meets Rebs 7th year, game 216, 155-60.
https://twitter.com/RebVoice

Parrish tweeted in response:
This is a wild but factual stat that highlights why most outsiders think unhappy Memphis fans are crazy.
https://twitter.com/GaryParrishCBS?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

The commonly held belief that our fans are "crazy" will likely have ramifications on our next coaching search.
(This post was last modified: 12-18-2015 08:14 AM by Tiger1983.)
12-18-2015 08:09 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Marc Mensa Offline
You'll Get Nothing and Like It

I Root For: The Underdog
RE: Parrish Tweet - Pastner's and Calipari's Win Total at Memphis To Date
In year 7, the two boats are headed in very different directions
(This post was last modified: 12-18-2015 08:21 AM by Marc Mensa.)
12-18-2015 08:20 AM
batman Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Josh feasted on C USA cupcakes early on and then summarily drove the program into the ground. And the outsiders are just that, outside the program and don't see what the rest of us do. And before anyone says that we are unfairly basing Josh on what Cal did, I would take a Larry Finch led Tigers any day over Josh.

Can anyone name one Finch team that did not have at least one shooter? Anyone remember Johnny Mac, Rodney Newsome ( Cincinnati game) Justin Wimmer, Mingo Johnson?
12-18-2015 08:23 AM
batman Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(12-18-2015 08:20 AM)Marc Mensa Wrote:  In year 7, the two boats are headed in very different directions

^^^
This
12-18-2015 08:23 AM
ZachMan Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Tigers
This numbers crap is so old, how has Pastner done since we moved to the American conference, which is a decent notch above CUSA. If we all like beating the SEMO's of the world, then we are in good hands.
12-18-2015 08:32 AM
Tigermaniac Offline
BBB Enthusiast

I Root For: Memphis/Army
(12-18-2015 08:09 AM)Tiger1983 Wrote:  David Kellum (voice of the Black Bears Tweeted):
John Calipari in his 7th year at Memphis met Ole Miss in his 216th game & was 154-61. Josh Pastner meets Rebs 7th year, game 216, 155-60.

This is a wild but factual stat that highlights why most outsiders think unhappy Memphis fans are crazy.

The commonly held belief that our fans are "crazy" will likely have ramifications on our next coaching search.

Do we really need to break all of this down?

This guy is an idiot sometimes with his Pastner comments...

If a coach chooses to pass on Memphis because we expect to get good recruits, advance in the tourney, and be a regular top 25 team then we don't need or want him anyway. I want a coach who wants to live up to those expectations and who can meet those expectations. Not some guy looking to come here, beat up on Southern, Southeast Missouri State, and UCF and get a free 7 figure salary. We've already been robbed enough.
(This post was last modified: 12-18-2015 08:41 AM by Tigermaniac.)
12-18-2015 08:35 AM
Advertisement

Mimi Offline
Who farted??

I Root For: reasonableness
Actually, Narcissist had a terrible record against ranked opponents, and also feasted on CUSA opponents, not coming close to a CUSA title until the 2005-06 season. However, starting with that season, his sixth, things were much better as the team was in the beginning of a four year sweet sixteen or better, including a finals appearance run...which is what is the real reason why so many have lambasted Pastner from day two.

In his seventh year his team is not likely to be a final four threat...there have been a few more transfers, some really hitter disparagement of our own program by a players attorney no less, and an 18-14 season. That is too much to bear for many, who do seem to conveniently forget that Memphis had teams with very high expectations, the 2002 and 2005 squads, that were not even good enough to get beat in the NCAA round of 32, but made the NIT only.

It is unlikely our teams start on a four year run of thirty win seasons and elite eights or even better right now, but it is also not a situation that was anywhere close to as bad as the levels of poo would suggest.

Watch them go ape now.
12-18-2015 08:59 AM
Tygrys Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis
(12-18-2015 08:20 AM)Marc Mensa Wrote:  In year 7, the two boats are headed in very different directions

Right, one coach was coming off of an Elite Eight the year before and headed for another while the other coach did not make NCAA tournament and is unlikely to make it again this year...

Anybody who actually looks beyond wins and losses can identify the differences pretty easily...
12-18-2015 09:00 AM
macgar32 Offline
Legend

(12-18-2015 08:09 AM)Tiger1983 Wrote:  David Kellum (voice of the Black Bears Tweeted):

I think the comparison is fair accept it is acutally flipped.

Cal started in a conference about the strength of the American and finished in a weak conference where he had his best seasons.

Josh started in a weak conference where he had his best seasons and now is in a better conference where he has started to struggle.

It will be interesting to see if Josh can keep pace in the tougher conference since he had the weak conference head start
12-18-2015 09:09 AM
HometownTiger Offline
Hall of Famer

Pointless stat.

Cal made an Elite 8 in Year 6. If Josh had made a Sweet 16 or an Elite 8, most of us wouldn't be upset. It's pretty obvious the program is trending down, whereas Cal found his stride at this point in his career here.
(This post was last modified: 12-18-2015 09:17 AM by HometownTiger.)
12-18-2015 09:16 AM
fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
you guys really need to relax and enjoy the basketball. Things will play out in March.
12-18-2015 09:20 AM
Advertisement

midtowncowboy Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Cal and the program were trending up when he bolted. Cal was going to land the top players in the nation.
JP and the program have settled in to a state of mediocrity. JP has not and IMHO will not get the top players in the nation.

Time for change.
12-18-2015 09:20 AM
EdmondTiger Offline
Special Teams

(12-18-2015 09:16 AM)HometownTiger Wrote:  Pointless stat.

Cal made an Elite 8 in Year 6. If Josh had made a Sweet 16 or an Elite 8, most of us wouldn't be upset. It's pretty obvious the program is trending down, whereas Cal found his stride at this point in his career here.

Any chance Pastner "finds his stride" over the next couple of years? Cal had successful college head coaching experience when he took over (granted he took over a mess).

I was thinking Pastner is just now gaining experience as his recruiting has taken a big hit. If he could get to the tournament this year with say 22 wins and then maybe get a transfer like Tomas to go along with a good late period signing maybe he gets things going?
12-18-2015 09:22 AM
Dylan Offline
All American

I Root For:
can we just skip this crap for a day and support the team? Have some pride, leave the coach out of it and root for the kids and your university. I'm as over him as anyone but come on, this horse has been buried.
12-18-2015 09:24 AM
HometownTiger Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-18-2015 09:22 AM)EdmondTiger Wrote:  
(12-18-2015 09:16 AM)HometownTiger Wrote:  Pointless stat.

Any chance Pastner "finds his stride" over the next couple of years? Cal had successful college head coaching experience when he took over (granted he took over a mess).

I was thinking Pastner is just now gaining experience as his recruiting has taken a big hit. If he could get to the tournament this year with say 22 wins and then maybe get a transfer like Tomas to go along with a good late period signing maybe he gets things going?

I just don't see it. He's proven that he can't win big even with talented recruits, so I'm not sure a solid recruiting class (not looking realistic anyways) would help him find his stride here. It's hard to correct momentum when it starts going the wrong way on ya...coaches almost never bounce back - most just delay the inevitable.

I've said many times, the year with the "4 Kings" was THE year for Josh. We had Elite 8 talent. If Josh's resume was 100% the same, BUT we made an Elite 8 that year ... we're all good. Also wouldn't hurt if he didn't lose so many transfers...
(This post was last modified: 12-18-2015 09:31 AM by HometownTiger.)
12-18-2015 09:30 AM
Tiger46 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Tigers
(12-18-2015 08:59 AM)Mimi Wrote:  Actually, Narcissist had a terrible record against ranked opponents, and also feasted on CUSA opponents, not coming close to a CUSA title until the 2005-06 season. However, starting with that season, his sixth, things were much better as the team was in the beginning of a four year sweet sixteen or better, including a finals appearance run...which is what is the real reason why so many have lambasted Pastner from day two.

In his seventh year his team is not likely to be a final four threat...there have been a few more transfers, some really hitter disparagement of our own program by a players attorney no less, and an 18-14 season. That is too much to bear for many, who do seem to conveniently forget that Memphis had teams with very high expectations, the 2002 and 2005 squads, that were not even good enough to get beat in the NCAA round of 32, but made the NIT only.

It is unlikely our teams start on a four year run of thirty win seasons and elite eights or even better right now, but it is also not a situation that was anywhere close to as bad as the levels of poo would suggest.

Watch them go ape now.

I agree. Even before Cal got into his rhythm you (I) had confidence in what he was doing and the kids he got. Once he got in his groove we were tough to beat, impossible in CUSA and a force in the tournament.

I don't feel that way now. Losing Austin Nichols was inexcusable, even if the Dad pushed it.
(This post was last modified: 12-18-2015 09:36 AM by Tiger46.)
12-18-2015 09:36 AM
Advertisement

Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

I Root For: Tigers - GTG!

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
If Parrish is correct that our fans are crazy, then what is the effect on the next coaching search? Will it tend to drive off coaches or tend to draw coaches to the job?
12-18-2015 09:39 AM
salukiblue Offline
Liaison to the Dummies

I Root For: Space Mountain
Ok, so let's ask every single D1 school in the NCAA right now:

"You need a head coach (either will accept the offer), money not an issue, do you hire Pastner or Cal?"
(This post was last modified: 12-18-2015 09:51 AM by salukiblue.)
12-18-2015 09:50 AM
tigergg Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(12-18-2015 09:50 AM)salukiblue Wrote:  Ok, so let's ask every single D1 school in the NCAA right now:

"You need a head coach (either will accept the offer), money not an issue, do you hire Pastner or Cal?"

No brainer..
12-18-2015 09:52 AM
Tygrys Offline
Heisman

(12-18-2015 09:39 AM)Tiger1983 Wrote:  If Parrish is correct that our fans are crazy, then what is the effect on the next coaching search? Will it tend to drive off coaches or tend to draw coaches to the job?

"Crazy" is an extremely relative word. I believe "passionate" is a much more fare description of our fans. I do not see our fans going out and doing crazy things to get their point across that they do not believe in Josh. There are no planes being flown over stadiums or signs in the Forum. They have simply stopped coming to games. I think most coaches would desire a passionate fan base. Again, a college coach can look beyond a few stats and see what is actually going on in the program, complete disarray, obscene number of transfers, trending downward, etc. They will know why fans are so off put at this point, especially given some of the talent JP's teams have had.
(This post was last modified: 12-18-2015 10:01 AM by Tygrys.)
12-18-2015 09:57 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.