Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NIU Benefits in Name Recognition from 8th Straight Bowl Trip: Tribune
Bookmark and Share
DiehardHuskie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Hard Way
Exclamation NIU Benefits in Name Recognition from 8th Straight Bowl Trip: Tribune
Athletic director Sean Frazier doesn't need to make introductions for Northern Illinois football these days.

The program has transcended its mid-major roots and cultivated a national presence entering Wednesday's Poinsettia Bowl in San Diego, the Huskies' eighth consecutive postseason appearance.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/col...ed-content
12-17-2015 11:21 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

The Frisky Biscuit Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Death
RE: NIU Benefits in Name Recognition from 8th Straight Bowl Trip: Tribune
Now we just need to hire an obnoxious coach and major conference offers will come rolling in.
12-18-2015 12:22 AM
DogPoundNorth Offline
Coach Carey Loves His Wife

I Root For: NIU
"...officials have to figure out how to draw notoriously fickle students and fans to fill the existing 23,595-seat stadium, which marked its 50th anniversary in 2015. NIU averaged just under 14,000 fans for six home dates.

"At the end of the day, it's time to show up," Frazier said. "It's not because we're not winning. If you want the Boises of the world to come to Huskie Stadium, the BYUs, you've got to show up."
12-18-2015 08:17 AM
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU Huskies

Donators
(12-18-2015 12:22 AM)The Frisky Biscuit Wrote:  Now we just need to hire an obnoxious coach and major conference offers will come rolling in.

Some post-season wins first would help.
12-18-2015 08:19 AM
uiniu57 Offline
All American

I Root For: Amanda Sauer
(12-17-2015 11:21 PM)DiehardHuskie Wrote:  The program has transcended its mid-major roots and cultivated a national presence entering Wednesday's Poinsettia Bowl in San Diego, the Huskies' eighth consecutive postseason appearance.

Can ---filmmaker explain how this is possible for a school with a directional name?
Perhaps he's right, it is time to change the Northern Illinois University name; let's get the ultimate corporate sponsorship: the University of Old Style (UOS), Miller Lite University (MLU), the University of Budweiser (UOB) -- we could probably replace an unused residence hall with the country's largest brewing plant / facility / classroom. Talk about a one of a kind major to excite the students; imagine being the only school in the nation to offer an MBA (Master's in Brewing Administration)! Research and development of hops, barley, etc. would be the way to get around the UofI's lock on attracting farmers to their agriculture program.
Oh the marketing possibilities; our school name in neon red! Schedule tastings in conjunction with tailgating, men's and women's home soccer matches, increased incentive to join the Convo's executive suite for men's and women's hoops, more fun at the baseball or softball ballpark; just add a pony keg to the bottom of Victor E's collar with the school's initials. VCB's sales of school mugs would go through the roof.
12-18-2015 10:03 AM
pantone1935 Offline
All American

I Root For: huskies
(12-18-2015 10:03 AM)uiniu57 Wrote:  
(12-17-2015 11:21 PM)DiehardHuskie Wrote:  The program has transcended its mid-major roots and cultivated a national presence entering Wednesday's Poinsettia Bowl in San Diego, the Huskies' eighth consecutive postseason appearance.

Can ---filmmaker explain how this is possible for a school with a directional name?
Perhaps he's right, it is time to change the Northern Illinois University name; let's get the ultimate corporate sponsorship: the University of Old Style (UOS), Miller Lite University (MLU), the University of Budweiser (UOB) -- we could probably replace an unused residence hall with the country's largest brewing plant / facility / classroom. Talk about a one of a kind major to excite the students; imagine being the only school in the nation to offer an MBA (Master's in Brewing Administration)! Research and development of hops, barley, etc. would be the way to get around the UofI's lock on attracting farmers to their agriculture program.
Oh the marketing possibilities; our school name in neon red! Schedule tastings in conjunction with tailgating, men's and women's home soccer matches, increased incentive to join the Convo's executive suite for men's and women's hoops, more fun at the baseball or softball ballpark; just add a pony keg to the bottom of Victor E's collar with the school's initials. VCB's sales of school mugs would go through the roof.

Not a masters but: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/colorado-sta...eer-major/

GO HUSKIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
12-18-2015 10:14 AM
Advertisement

The Frisky Biscuit Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Death
(12-18-2015 08:19 AM)Dog Fan Wrote:  
(12-18-2015 12:22 AM)The Frisky Biscuit Wrote:  Now we just need to hire an obnoxious coach and major conference offers will come rolling in.

Some post-season wins first would help.

If we had beat FSU, we'd be in the SEC now, clearly.
12-18-2015 11:31 AM
NIUfilmmaker Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU!
(12-18-2015 10:03 AM)uiniu57 Wrote:  

Just because the Trib threw out a cute blurb about us being less of a mystery because of our bowl streak, all of a sudden we're Notre Dame and being a directional is a blessing? Bottom line I still think a name change is a very viable discussion, either way, you must lead a sad life to lash out at someone in a college sports chat room just because you don't like their opinion. Take it down a notch psycho and people will take you more seriously.
(This post was last modified: 12-18-2015 12:30 PM by NIUfilmmaker.)
12-18-2015 12:28 PM
uiniu57 Offline
All American

I Root For: Amanda Sauer
(12-18-2015 12:28 PM)NIUfilmmaker Wrote:  Just because the Trib threw out a cute blurb about us being less of a mystery because of our bowl streak, all of a sudden we're Notre Dame and being a directional is a blessing? Bottom line I still think a name change is a very viable discussion, either way, you must lead a sad life to lash out at someone in a college sports chat room just because you don't like their opinion. Take it down a notch psycho and people will take you more seriously.

Lighten up NIUfilmmaker. Aside from the reality that a name change isn't a realistic solution, if you can't tolerate others reacting sarcastically to your opinion, then perhaps you're the one that's difficult to be taken seriously.
And for the record, please read the part of the Trib article where Sean Frazier says: When I put the NIU tag out there, people know where we're from, know what we do and what games we've played in. It's pretty phenomenal to be in a small part of Alabama — where my people are from — and for somebody to say in the Piggly Wiggly: 'Oh, NIU, you guys played in the Orange Bowl. You guys are big time.' The brand has grown into a national brand, and we're proud of it."
Just maybe, NIU has made some major inroads toward being more than just a directional school, so why undo what has been gained?
Rod Carey added. "The position we've been in the last five years, not only with making the MAC championship but with the 'MACtion', really gives us a leg up in getting our brand out there. Five years later, you are really seeing a comfort and a good response to that."

Otherwise, reconsider the suggestions previously made. I'm raising my (UOS / MLU / UOB) mug and wishing you a Merry Christmas.
12-18-2015 01:45 PM
NIUfilmmaker Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU!
(12-18-2015 01:45 PM)uiniu57 Wrote:  
(12-18-2015 12:28 PM)NIUfilmmaker Wrote:  Just because the Trib threw out a cute blurb about us being less of a mystery because of our bowl streak, all of a sudden we're Notre Dame and being a directional is a blessing? Bottom line I still think a name change is a very viable discussion, either way, you must lead a sad life to lash out at someone in a college sports chat room just because you don't like their opinion. Take it down a notch psycho and people will take you more seriously.

Lighten up NIUfilmmaker. Aside from the reality that a name change isn't a realistic solution, if you can't tolerate others reacting sarcastically to your opinion, then perhaps you're the one that's difficult to be taken seriously.
And for the record, please read the part of the Trib article where Sean Frazier says: When I put the NIU tag out there, people know where we're from, know what we do and what games we've played in. It's pretty phenomenal to be in a small part of Alabama — where my people are from — and for somebody to say in the Piggly Wiggly: 'Oh, NIU, you guys played in the Orange Bowl. You guys are big time.' The brand has grown into a national brand, and we're proud of it."
Just maybe, NIU has made some major inroads toward being more than just a directional school, so why undo what has been gained?
Rod Carey added. "The position we've been in the last five years, not only with making the MAC championship but with the 'MACtion', really gives us a leg up in getting our brand out there. Five years later, you are really seeing a comfort and a good response to that."

Otherwise, reconsider the suggestions previously made. I'm raising my (UOS / MLU / UOB) mug and wishing you a Merry Christmas.

I'm happy with any progress we've made untangling ourselves from our directional ball-and-chain. Having said that, most people will quickly recognize the amazing quotes above as standard and required coach/AD speak. Hope you and yours enjoy the holiday.
12-18-2015 02:30 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
(12-17-2015 11:21 PM)DiehardHuskie Wrote:  Athletic director Sean Frazier doesn't need to make introductions for Northern Illinois football these days.

The program has transcended its mid-major roots and cultivated a national presence entering Wednesday's Poinsettia Bowl in San Diego, the Huskies' eighth consecutive postseason appearance.

We're better known nationally than we are by the Chicago media. The Tribune has an article occasionally, when it's convenient for them.
12-18-2015 04:24 PM
Advertisement

NIUTrekker Offline
2nd String

Re: RE: NIU Benefits in Name Recognition from 8th Straight Bowl Trip: Tribune
(12-18-2015 04:24 PM)NIU007 Wrote:  
(12-17-2015 11:21 PM)DiehardHuskie Wrote:  Athletic director Sean Frazier doesn't need to make introductions for Northern Illinois football these days.

We're better known nationally than we are by the Chicago media. The Tribune has an article occasionally, when it's convenient for them.

Living in DC area, I talk football to people who attended colleges across the country. It's a rarity that someone is unfamiliar with NIU. Most of whom have high regard for our school and football program. It's baffling to me why people from Illinois don't give NIU the respect it deserves.
12-18-2015 05:34 PM
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(12-18-2015 05:34 PM)NIUTrekker Wrote:  

Living in DC area, I talk football to people who attended colleges across the country. It's a rarity that someone is unfamiliar with NIU. Most of whom have high regard for our school and football program. It's baffling to me why people from Illinois don't give NIU the respect it deserves.

In this area, it's pro sports first and nothing after that.
12-18-2015 06:59 PM
Skinut Offline
1st String

(12-18-2015 02:30 PM)NIUfilmmaker Wrote:  
(12-18-2015 01:45 PM)uiniu57 Wrote:  

I'm happy with any progress we've made untangling ourselves from our directional ball-and-chain. Having said that, most people will quickly recognize the amazing quotes above as standard and required coach/AD speak. Hope you and yours enjoy the holiday.

Really, lighten up Francis!
12-18-2015 10:23 PM
HuskieFootball Addict Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU, NIU, NIU
(12-18-2015 06:59 PM)Dog Fan Wrote:  
(12-18-2015 05:34 PM)NIUTrekker Wrote:  

In this area, it's pro sports first and nothing after that.

In MY area it is all Illness. But more & more people are recognizing the name NIU
12-19-2015 11:15 AM
Heisman

(12-18-2015 08:17 AM)DogPoundNorth Wrote:  "...officials have to figure out how to draw notoriously fickle students and fans to fill the existing 23,595-seat stadium, which marked its 50th anniversary in 2015. NIU averaged just under 14,000 fans for six home dates.

"At the end of the day, it's time to show up," Frazier said. "It's not because we're not winning. If you want the Boises of the world to come to Huskie Stadium, the BYUs, you've got to show up."

Maybe it needs to enter their heads that with HALF of our home games being played on weeknights in Nov. that makes a big impact on season tickets sales.
I think attendance has gone down & down thanks to those cold weeknight games.

Does anyone recall, how long have we been doing Nov. weeknight games? what are the corresponding attendance numbers?

That and the younger generations can't look up from their GD phones long enough to truly experience anything.
12-19-2015 11:21 AM
Advertisement

Heisman

Stupid trib won't let me read the article without signing up. 01-lauramac2
12-19-2015 11:22 AM
huskiebob Offline
Heisman

Donators
(12-19-2015 11:21 AM)HuskieFootball Addict Wrote:  
(12-18-2015 08:17 AM)DogPoundNorth Wrote:  "...officials have to figure out how to draw notoriously fickle students and fans to fill the existing 23,595-seat stadium, which marked its 50th anniversary in 2015. NIU averaged just under 14,000 fans for six home dates.

Maybe it needs to enter their heads that with HALF of our home games being played on weeknights in Nov. that makes a big impact on season tickets sales.

Does anyone recall, how long have we been doing Nov. weeknight games? what are the corresponding attendance numbers?

The first Nov. weeknight game in DeKalb was in 2004 in against Toledo. The game was on Nov. 9th, a Tuesday. Reported attendance was 27,719. We also had a Friday night game in Sept. in 2004 against BG. Reported attendance was 25,819.
(This post was last modified: 12-19-2015 12:06 PM by huskiebob.)
12-19-2015 12:03 PM
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators

That and the younger generations can't look up from their GD phones long enough to truly experience anything.

Agree 100% with everything you've said.
12-19-2015 01:18 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
(12-19-2015 01:18 PM)Dog Fan Wrote:  

Agree 100% with everything you've said.

Yea the E$PN deal is not under NIU's control. The crappy OOC scheduling for more than a decade was. Both of them combined I'm sure lost a lot of customers.
12-19-2015 01:29 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.