Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Semi-Sports Related... Possible Hotel/Apartments going up on Lincoln Ave Tract
Bookmark and Share
NIUfilmmaker Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU!
Semi-Sports Related... Possible Hotel/Apartments going up on Lincoln Ave Tract
http://www.daily-chronicle.com/2015/12/1...n/at7yddx/

A Marriott hotel property in the downtown area would be great for homecoming and the like. The extra apartments would help keep the city-center shops/restaurants healthy. Hope it goes forward.
12-15-2015 12:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

beachboy Offline
1st String

I Root For: huskies
RE: Semi-Sports Related... Possible Hotel/Apartments going up on Lincoln Ave Tract
Old-timers may remember the boarded-up house as God's Country, a well-known off-campus residence of bygone years.
12-15-2015 01:04 PM
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU
RE: Semi-Sports Related... Possible Hotel/Apartments going up on Lincoln Ave Tract
The hotel is in the Baker NIU master plan in that same location so you know that the University (and athletics) is 100% for this.

I don't understand where the apartment will be. Anne St is West of Pearl but I thought the property was East of Pearl St. Any idea?

I hope they do approve the demolishing of the empty properties asap. That area looks so bad with the empty old subway and boarded up pink house.

I do agree that the number of parking spaces per unit needs to be improved since they are only accounting for 2/3 of the required spots. I wonder how close they could come if the apartment building was 4 stories instead of 5.

Since the city has not seemed crazy about this can I assume that eminent domain was not used on these properties?

Getting this hotel built along with a banquet hall that could hold a football team and its staff would be a good thing for athletics.
(This post was last modified: 12-15-2015 01:50 PM by HuskieJohn.)
12-15-2015 01:49 PM
jjprender Offline
Special Teams

(12-15-2015 12:48 PM)NIUfilmmaker Wrote:  http://www.daily-chronicle.com/2015/12/1...n/at7yddx/

A Marriott hotel property in the downtown area would be great for homecoming and the like. The extra apartments would help keep the city-center shops/restaurants healthy. Hope it goes forward.

Agreed....would love to stay downtown DeKalb for a homecoming!
12-15-2015 01:55 PM
HuskieBowWow Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU Huskies
(12-15-2015 01:49 PM)HuskieJohn Wrote:  The hotel is in the Baker NIU master plan in that same location so you know that the University (and athletics) is 100% for this.

I don't understand where the apartment will be. Anne St is West of Pearl but I thought the property was East of Pearl St. Any idea?

I hope they do approve the demolishing of the empty properties asap. That area looks so bad with the empty old subway and boarded up pink house.

I do agree that the number of parking spaces per unit needs to be improved since they are only accounting for 2/3 of the required spots. I wonder how close they could come if the apartment building was 4 stories instead of 5.

Since the city has not seemed crazy about this can I assume that eminent domain was not used on these properties?

Getting this hotel built along with a banquet hall that could hold a football team and its staff would be a good thing for athletics.

I wasn't aware there was any development happening on Anne St. That would seem unlikely since it's a dead end. I think everything is planned for east of Pearl.

Isn't the student center used for football banquets? I think Faranda's is also big enough.
12-15-2015 02:03 PM
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-15-2015 02:03 PM)HuskieBowWow Wrote:  I wasn't aware there was any development happening on Anne St. That would seem unlikely since it's a dead end. I think everything is planned for east of Pearl.

Isn't the student center used for football banquets? I think Faranda's is also big enough.

I was going back to the rumor on here that Frazier had some type of conversation with people within the B12 and they gave him a hit list of things that must happen before we would even be considered as an expansion option.

A hotel large enough to hold a visiting football team along with the banquet facilities to be able to feed them was one of the requirements.

The HSC will not work for this requirement. A stand alone banquet hall will not work for this requirement.

Now we can argue if that conversation ever took place...HOWEVER this hotel and conference/banquet hall is on the Baker NIU master plan in this exact location so its obviously important to NIU.
12-15-2015 02:13 PM
Advertisement

NIUSox10 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU, White Sox
PLEASE HAPPEN!
12-15-2015 02:30 PM
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-15-2015 02:30 PM)NIUSox10 Wrote:  PLEASE HAPPEN!

The meeting was last night...does anyone know the result?
(This post was last modified: 12-15-2015 03:14 PM by HuskieJohn.)
12-15-2015 03:03 PM
GOONSQUAD41 Offline
2nd String

I was told marriot was going to build by the convo. Either way it would be excellent to stay at a marriot in dekalb. The marriot in blow-no is great.
12-15-2015 08:39 PM
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

The 13 homes were approved for demolition by the city council on Monday.

They plan on starting demo next week and plan to clear 1 property a day.

http://www.daily-chronicle.com/2015/12/1...t/ad1l1cd/
(This post was last modified: 12-16-2015 10:45 AM by HuskieJohn.)
12-16-2015 10:41 AM
HuskiePride12 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU, WHITE SOX
(12-16-2015 10:41 AM)HuskieJohn Wrote:  The 13 homes were approved for demolition by the city council on Monday.

Well if nothing ends up getting built quickly, at least the eyesore houses will be gone. Makes that portion look really run down before you hit downtown.
12-16-2015 01:30 PM
Advertisement

HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-16-2015 01:30 PM)HuskiePride12 Wrote:  
(12-16-2015 10:41 AM)HuskieJohn Wrote:  The 13 homes were approved for demolition by the city council on Monday.

Well if nothing ends up getting built quickly, at least the eyesore houses will be gone. Makes that portion look really run down before you hit downtown.

Yup. Also I am hoping that the LA Tan lot gets going too. While that lot is great for non donor tailgating for the Saturday games the look of the lot and building is aweful.
12-16-2015 01:41 PM
Monty Python Offline
2nd String

(12-16-2015 01:41 PM)HuskieJohn Wrote:  

Yup. Also I am hoping that the LA Tan lot gets going too. While that lot is great for non donor tailgating for the Saturday games the look of the lot and building is aweful.

LA Tan goes down in the spring. Could be gone by spring game
12-17-2015 12:23 AM
Monty Python Offline
2nd String

12-17-2015 01:24 AM
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-17-2015 01:24 AM)Monty Python Wrote:  http://www.daily-chronicle.com/2015/12/1...t/d4ixeik/

In Thursday's paper

Nice! I wonder if they read the board.

If that is the case then the next story I wonder about is the status of the Sec 8 housing (university village?). There was a development company looking to take over it and turn it into something better but there was a city code thing that was holding up the project.

Also if I read it correctly Chipotle was given a "full liqueur license"...is that the restaurant type license or are they going to try some sort of after hours Chipotle bar?
(This post was last modified: 12-17-2015 08:52 AM by HuskieJohn.)
12-17-2015 08:50 AM
HuskiePride12 Offline
Heisman

(12-17-2015 12:23 AM)Monty Python Wrote:  

Eh better than nothing I guess. Wish it was something different than a Popeyes
12-17-2015 09:08 AM
Advertisement

HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-17-2015 09:08 AM)HuskiePride12 Wrote:  

The LA Tan lot will be split into 3 (but 1 will be just a retention pond area) so there will be something planned in addition to Popeyes.

KFC/Long Johns is moving out too and already has a replacement yet to go public but is said to be from CA.
12-17-2015 09:19 AM
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

Now if we could only get the Travel Inn to be taken over by a more upscale operation that does not allow meth labs!

Does Fatty's own that lot across the street from them that they are using as a parking lot on home gamedays?
12-17-2015 09:37 AM
Stay Cool Offline
The Masked Moderator

I Root For: NIU, tOSU, UC
(12-17-2015 09:37 AM)HuskieJohn Wrote:  Now if we could only get the Travel Inn to be taken over by a more upscale operation that does not allow meth labs!

Does Fatty's own that lot across the street from them that they are using as a parking lot on home gamedays?
Yes, they do

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
12-17-2015 01:06 PM
HuskiePride12 Offline
Heisman

(12-17-2015 09:19 AM)HuskieJohn Wrote:  
(12-17-2015 09:08 AM)HuskiePride12 Wrote:  
(12-16-2015 01:30 PM)HuskiePride12 Wrote:  Well if nothing ends up getting built quickly, at least the eyesore houses will be gone. Makes that portion look really run down before you hit downtown.

The LA Tan lot will be split into 3 (but 1 will be just a retention pond area) so there will be something planned in addition to Popeyes.

KFC/Long Johns is moving out too and already has a replacement yet to go public but is said to be from CA.

They didn't last that long. CA fast food...Jack in the Box??
12-17-2015 01:13 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.