Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

In defense of Reed Green Coliseum
Bookmark and Share
AndreWhere Offline
Banned

I Root For: Southern Miss
I see a lot of crap about this facility online and in print. I can't say I've ever heard anyone disparage this venue in person. In any case, I feel a need to share how I feel about this facility.

Reed Green Coliseum has been the home court of many, many good basketball teams. Under James Green, in 2000, we won a CUSA championship. That was back when the league merited 4 tournament berths. In the decade before that, teams that called Reed Green Coliseum home won the NIT, and took Louisville to the wire in the Metro conference finals.

After that came the Larry Eustachy era. Many of us would call that the height of Southern Miss basketball. Since then, we've dealt with Donnie Tyndall and we are trying to recover. Many people thought *that* was the height of Southern Miss basketball. They were wrong, but they filled Reed Green. And no one will dispute the assertion that Reed Green provides a big home court advantage.

Throughout that time, USM filled Reed Green close to capacity many times, even though it has a fairly high seating capacity. It is an appropriately-sized facility located right in the middle of campus. It must be upgraded, and the possibility of hosting games at the Coast Coliseum (like that first Metro Conference tournament) should not be discounted. But we have no reason to be embarrassed by Reed Green Coliseum.
(This post was last modified: 12-14-2015 07:40 PM by AndreWhere.)
12-14-2015 07:35 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Jayesseagle Offline
Special Teams

You forgot to mention "The Spoon" era..
12-14-2015 07:45 PM
UofMemphis Away
Official MT.org Ambassador of Smack

I Root For: Univ of Memphis

Donators
RE: In defense of Reed Green Coliseum
USM needs this so very badly...you guys deserve it.

[Image: rg-empty-lg.jpg]

[Image: reed-green-preview-640x360.jpg]

[Image: reedgreen2.jpg]

any update on those plans?
12-14-2015 09:11 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WKU
I've seen it once in person and it's one of the worse arenas that I watched a basketball game in. I'm sure in its day it was nice but when you put a sheet up and project stats and video on that sheet...

you need upgrades

The only good thing I could say about the arena...the students in the band are very clever with their saying when the visiting team is shooting fts. nothing offensive but clever.
12-14-2015 09:25 PM
Thegoldstandard Offline
Heisman

(12-14-2015 09:25 PM)WKUYG Wrote:  I've seen it once in person and it's one of the worse arenas that I watched a basketball game in. I'm sure in its day it was nice but when you put a sheet up and project stats and video on that sheet...

you need upgrades

The only good thing I could say about the arena...the students in the band are very clever with their saying when the visiting team is shooting fts. nothing offensive but clever.
The sure learned not to ask about green cards lol
12-14-2015 09:29 PM
EagNBran Offline
All American

(12-14-2015 09:11 PM)UofMemphis Wrote:  USM needs this so very badly...you guys deserve it.

Still need more money. When the team is doing as poorly as it is, it's hard to drum up the support needed. But I can't wait for the day it happens. Renditions look beautiful.
12-14-2015 09:41 PM
Advertisement

Thegoldstandard Offline
Heisman

(12-14-2015 09:41 PM)EagNBran Wrote:  
(12-14-2015 09:11 PM)UofMemphis Wrote:  USM needs this so very badly...you guys deserve it.

Still need more money. When the team is doing as poorly as it is, it's hard to drum up the support needed. But I can't wait for the day it happens. Renditions look beautiful.
Poorly, hell we just beat the greatest team to take a dump behind a pair of sneakers South Alabama!!
12-14-2015 09:57 PM
GCEagle Offline
Special Teams

Our video board is a projector like one used in a class room. I'm sorry that you love the yurt but it's well past its usefulness as a division 1 basketball arena.
12-15-2015 08:59 AM
nastybunch Offline
Heisman

I guess you have made your 1 mil donation towards a new one, right?
12-15-2015 09:21 AM
AndreWhere Offline
Banned

(12-15-2015 09:21 AM)nastybunch Wrote:  I guess you have made your 1 mil donation towards a new one, right?

You're the one pulling down those big commission checks selling tractors, not to mention all that cash you must earn as a public speaker.
12-15-2015 09:46 AM
Ole Blue Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Good Guys
(12-15-2015 08:59 AM)GCEagle Wrote:  Our video board is a projector like one used in a class room. I'm sorry that you love the yurt but it's well past its usefulness as a division 1 basketball arena.

oh my god you weren't even joking about your video board being a projector what??
12-15-2015 09:59 AM
Advertisement

AndreWhere Offline
Banned

When I hear things like "worst arena in D1" I think about schools like Tulane that basically play in a gym. Like, I'm sure it's nice, but it only seats about 4,000 people. I'd much rather have Reed Green. Yeah, it's dated-looking, but at least it's an actual dome.
12-15-2015 10:08 AM
tigerjeb Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

CrappiesDonatorsMemphis Hall of Fame
(12-15-2015 08:59 AM)GCEagle Wrote:  Our video board is a projector like one used in a class room. I'm sorry that you love the yurt but it's well past its usefulness as a division 1 basketball arena.

[Image: 12-13%20bb%20%20usm%20rear%20projection%...frmqat.jpg]
12-15-2015 10:14 AM
FAUAEPi Offline
1st String

I Root For: FAU
(12-15-2015 10:08 AM)AndreWhere Wrote:  When I hear things like "worst arena in D1" I think about schools like Tulane that basically play in a gym. Like, I'm sure it's nice, but it only seats about 4,000 people. I'd much rather have Reed Green. Yeah, it's dated-looking, but at least it's an actual dome.

Actually Tulane underwent some very nice renovations.
12-15-2015 10:26 AM
MasMack Offline
1st String

100% is going to happen. The biggest question is if it will start in 2017 or many years later. Probably won't be 2017, but I'm confident it will happen within a year or 2 of that.

Plans look beautiful.

RGC is terrible right now. Still, when it gets packed, it's a fun place to watch a game.
12-15-2015 10:31 AM
AndreWhere Offline
Banned

(12-15-2015 10:26 AM)FAUAEPi Wrote:  
(12-15-2015 10:08 AM)AndreWhere Wrote:  When I hear things like "worst arena in D1" I think about schools like Tulane that basically play in a gym. Like, I'm sure it's nice, but it only seats about 4,000 people. I'd much rather have Reed Green. Yeah, it's dated-looking, but at least it's an actual dome.

Actually Tulane underwent some very nice renovations.
It's a 4,100 seat gymnasium. We have had crowds around twice that for at least the last 4 years, and we're in a much worse basketball league than Tulane. I'm sorry, but I am far from jealous. It'd be like UTEP being jealous of WKU because their football stadium's newer.
12-15-2015 10:34 AM
Advertisement

shiftyeagle Offline
Deus Vult

The Yurt is a steaming pile of turds that needs to be replaced, but not at the expense of football in any way.
12-15-2015 11:13 AM
DaSaintFan Offline
Dum' Sutherner in Midwest!

(12-15-2015 10:31 AM)MasMack Wrote:  
(12-14-2015 09:11 PM)UofMemphis Wrote:  any update on those plans?
100% is going to happen. The biggest question is if it will start in 2017 or many years later. Probably won't be 2017, but I'm confident it will happen within a year or 2 of that.

Plans look beautiful.

RGC is terrible right now. Still, when it gets packed, it's a fun place to watch a game.

This.. I remember Memphis fans to Hattiesburg and they were _astounded_ by how good of an atmosphere the Yurt had and how well fans voices carried through it, they even said it was absolutely INTIMIDATING for the opposing players on the floor, and you could tell.

But yes, it needs some major updating (and has for a while).. I know Wild Bill still has the plans on the table for the upgrades, but he knows it's sidelined while we get through the Post-DT issues.

But when it's full, the Yurt is servicable...
(This post was last modified: 12-15-2015 11:47 AM by DaSaintFan.)
12-15-2015 11:45 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
AndreWhere Offline
Banned

(12-15-2015 11:13 AM)shiftyeagle Wrote:  The Yurt is a steaming pile of turds that needs to be replaced, but not at the expense of football in any way.

Would you prefer a 4,000 seat gym with a giant TV scoreboard? If so, we value different things.
12-15-2015 11:46 AM
shiftyeagle Offline
Deus Vult

(12-15-2015 11:46 AM)AndreWhere Wrote:  
(12-15-2015 11:13 AM)shiftyeagle Wrote:  The Yurt is a steaming pile of turds that needs to be replaced, but not at the expense of football in any way.

Would you prefer a 4,000 seat gym with a giant TV scoreboard? If so, we value different things.

No, just a stadium that has bathrooms better than the ones I had in Iraq, some sort of videoboard, and bleachers not made out of kindling.
12-15-2015 12:48 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.