Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UT To Bring Concerts To Savage Arena
Bookmark and Share
DetroitRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Looks like we're getting back into the concert business. Good news.
http://utrockets.com/news/2015/12/9/ATHL...=athletics
12-10-2015 04:56 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Redwingtom Offline
Progressive filth

I Root For: B-G-S-U !!!!
RE: UT To Bring Concerts To Savage Arena
Why did they stop?
12-10-2015 04:59 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo
Who should they book first?
12-10-2015 05:03 PM
therockets046 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: The Mud Hens
Busta Rhymes or Blessid Union of Souls!
12-10-2015 05:26 PM
Stpetebeachrocketfan Offline
1st String

(12-10-2015 05:03 PM)eastisbest Wrote:  Who should they book first?

It says they are being handled by the athletic department so sounds like a win-win for all on revenue side and those that want to attend the concerts. Probably something the students would really like to have on campus too!
12-10-2015 05:27 PM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
One reason they did the makeover was to have the capacity to support (literally) modern light and sound. Right after completion they hosted O.A.R. and I never saw a word about any subsequent shows. That's exciting.
12-10-2015 07:35 PM
Advertisement

eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

Are those lower bowl seats retractable?

You find a riser, something on the radar but not yet big. I recall BG had Moby before he was MOBY.

What shows don't we get enough of? Probably the wrong crowd to be asking. I'd imagine comedians and circuses. Can't have enough circuses. And clown cars. And those trapezes ladies that tell your wee-wee it has other functions you hadn't yet thought it had.
12-10-2015 09:01 PM
indianasniff Offline
All American

The configuration for Savage has not been great for concerts acoustically. Maybe the renovation improved it since the last concert I went to there

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk
12-10-2015 09:20 PM
emanoh Offline
All American

I Root For:
I think one of the reasons they stopped doing shows is because The rafters in Savage were not designed to carry the load of today's modern arena shows. Lots of that stuff is rigged from the roof. When they did the renovation, I think they did some structural improvements? Toledo has always been a tough concert market. Savage was the biggest venue for years, then the Huntington center, which still isn't huge. Why play and sell out Toledo when Detroit or Cleveland isn't that much further away and you can double the seats?
(This post was last modified: 12-10-2015 10:28 PM by emanoh.)
12-10-2015 09:59 PM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

(12-10-2015 09:59 PM)emanoh Wrote:  I think one of the reasons they stopped doing shows is because The rafters in Savage were not designed to carry the load of today's modern arena shows. Lots of that stuff is rigged from the roof. When they did the renovation, I think they did some structural improvements? Toledo has always been a tough concert market. Savage was the biggest venue for years, then the Huntington center, which still isn't huge. Why play and sell oxut Toledo when Detroit or Cleveland isn't that much further away and you can double the seats?

That's what I meant re: support. The old Savage couldn't bear the weight, which is the answer to RET's question. But I was told they planned to have regular shows once the redo was complete and after one show they stopped. That's what stumps me.
12-10-2015 10:05 PM
emanoh Offline
All American

I Root For:
They probably intended to have more concerts, then the Huntington center popped up outta nowhere. Can't say that there are a lot of shows there other than the occasional country act and the regular stuff the sports arena used to host. Circus, ice capades, monster trucks. Man that place was a dump, but I loved going to hockey games there. It was like you stepped into slap shot.
12-10-2015 10:28 PM
Advertisement

eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-10-2015 10:28 PM)emanoh Wrote:  They probably intended to have more concerts, then the Huntington center popped up outta nowhere. Can't say that there are a lot of shows there other than the occasional country act and the regular stuff the sports arena used to host. Circus, ice capades, monster trucks. Man that place was a dump, but I loved going to hockey games there. It was like you stepped into slap shot.

There was a lot of stuff to step into at the Arena.
12-10-2015 11:10 PM
therockets046 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: The Mud Hens
(12-10-2015 09:01 PM)eastisbest Wrote:  You find a riser, something on the radar but not yet big. I recall BG had Moby before he was MOBY.
Moby is cool, and a very humble and likable guy, but Savage Hall brought in the Dave Matthews Band when they were playing arenas instead of amphitheaters. They got Kenny Chesney before he was hosting ubiquitous reality tv shows. They hosted the SnoCore tour with Trapt while they were full of themselves over the one hit they had in their career, with Finger Eleven opening before they had their two gigantic US hits. UT wins again.

They're not gonna get Adele to play at Savage Arena, they're not gonna get The Foo Fighters, but getting the next tier down should be a slam dunk. I'm mad that they got away from the concert scene to begin with.
12-10-2015 11:30 PM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

Savage had ZZ Top at the peak of their career, Mellencamp when he was huge, and lots of other major acts but the place seated nearly 2,000 more than it does now. Wonder how the boxes and loges will work for concerts- do the corporate folks who rent them get to use them,?
12-10-2015 11:44 PM
DetroitRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
One of the reasons they stopped doing concerts was they had a big internal staff that was very expensive. They let almost all of those people go. Also concerts really tear up a building.

BTW, the Huntington Center is constantly ranked among the top 5 arenas in the nation for its size by whatever magazine it is that does that stuff.
12-11-2015 04:56 AM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-11-2015 04:56 AM)DetroitRocket Wrote:  One of the reasons they stopped doing concerts was they had a big internal staff that was very expensive. They let almost all of those people go. Also concerts really tear up a building.

BTW, the Huntington Center is constantly ranked among the top 5 arenas in the nation for its size by whatever magazine it is that does that stuff.

Our old debate. And it probably also would have been highly ranked if it had been built to anchor the highway side of the warehouse district (where's there's TONs of land) and of a size to at least compete with Dayton and Ft. Wayne. Building a nice little house isn't all that tough. The Sports Arena had it's day to. Building one someplace and of a size it could be remodeled as tastes and needs changes? That would have took some other model of thinking.

BTW: who owned those buildings and land where Huntington went up, anyone know?
12-11-2015 06:44 AM
Advertisement

cnyrocketfan Offline
Legend

This got me thinking about who performed there earlier, when it was still known as Centennial Hall. Found an old basketball media guide and according to that, here's who performed at Centennial back in the seventies (seems like an interesting cross-section of entertainers). Englebert Humperdinck, Seals and Crofts, Elvis Presley, Olivia Newton-John, The Captain and Tennille, America, Lawrence Welk, and Liberace.

The week Centennial Hall opened, it was Al Hirt, Bob Hope, and Gordon Lightfoot.

And I think there was a basketball game that week too. Let me think ...

Oh, yeah I remember - Toledo 59 Indiana 57. 03-2thumbsup

Next December 1st will be the 40th anniversary of that one.
12-11-2015 08:15 AM
RangerRocket Offline
Rangers Lead The Way

I Root For: Toledo Rockets

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
(12-11-2015 08:15 AM)cnyrocketfan Wrote:  This got me thinking about who performed there earlier, when it was still known as Centennial Hall. Found an old basketball media guide and according to that, here's who performed at Centennial back in the seventies (seems like an interesting cross-section of entertainers). Englebert Humperdinck, Seals and Crofts, Elvis Presley, Olivia Newton-John, The Captain and Tennille, America, Lawrence Welk, and Liberace.

The week Centennial Hall opened, it was Al Hirt, Bob Hope, and Gordon Lightfoot.

And I think there was a basketball game that week too. Let me think ...

Oh, yeah I remember - Toledo 59 Indiana 57. 03-2thumbsup

Next December 1st will be the 40th anniversary of that one.

Saw John Denver there too I believe. Far Out...
12-11-2015 08:30 AM
NewMex RocketFan Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-10-2015 09:01 PM)eastisbest Wrote:  Are those lower bowl seats retractable?

You find a riser, something on the radar but not yet big. I recall BG had Moby before he was MOBY.

What shows don't we get enough of? Probably the wrong crowd to be asking. I'd imagine comedians and circuses. Can't have enough circuses. And clown cars. And those trapezes ladies that tell your wee-wee it has other functions you hadn't yet thought it had.

Well it is the political season . . . .
12-11-2015 08:59 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
adunifon Offline
Heisman

(12-10-2015 11:30 PM)therockets046 Wrote:  
(12-10-2015 09:01 PM)eastisbest Wrote:  You find a riser, something on the radar but not yet big. I recall BG had Moby before he was MOBY.
Moby is cool, and a very humble and likable guy, but Savage Hall brought in the Dave Matthews Band when they were playing arenas instead of amphitheaters. They got Kenny Chesney before he was hosting ubiquitous reality tv shows. They hosted the SnoCore tour with Trapt while they were full of themselves over the one hit they had in their career, with Finger Eleven opening before they had their two gigantic US hits. UT wins again.

They're not gonna get Adele to play at Savage Arena, they're not gonna get The Foo Fighters, but getting the next tier down should be a slam dunk. I'm mad that they got away from the concert scene to begin with.

Dave Matthews Band was 1996

Hootie & The Blowfish played there during their peak back in 1998.

Beach Boys.

Chicago.
12-11-2015 09:23 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.