Open TigerLinks

One Beale
Bookmark and Share
umbluegray Offline
Legend

I Root For: The Tigers!
One Beale
CA: One Beale developer considers adding third tower to Downtown site

The original plan calls for 2 towers (insert LOTR references here), a 30-story apartment tower and 18-story luxury hotel, sitting on top of a 200 ft underground parking garage with 450 spaces.

The developer is considering altering the project in an effort to get state &/or federal grants to cover cost of the parking garage.

The new plan shows 3 towers, an added 12-story office building beside a larger 22-story hotel and separate 30-story apartment tower, and a larger parking garage with 600 spaces.

The new garage plans say the garage will be built at ground level rather than underground. The proposed 12-story office building would be built on top of the garage.
12-10-2015 11:18 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

memp600 Offline
Just grinding...

I Root For: Memphis
RE: One Beale
I'm a little concerned now that this project may not get off the ground.
12-10-2015 02:07 PM
21-17 Best Time I Ever Ha Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MEMPHIS BY DAMN
Not a good sign. Building such tall buildings on the unstable sand of the bluffs and then putting a multi-story garage underground? Kind of makes me cringe. I was never so glad to move out of the 100 N. Main, a tall skinny building without reinforced steel.
12-10-2015 05:05 PM
Advertisement

umbluegray Offline
Legend

I Root For: The Tigers!
(12-10-2015 05:05 PM)21-17 Best Time I Ever Ha Wrote:  Not a good sign. Building such tall buildings on the unstable sand of the bluffs and then putting a multi-story garage underground? Kind of makes me cringe. I was never so glad to move out of the 100 N. Main, a tall skinny building without reinforced steel.

Well, they can put a huge domed arena in a swamp in the bayou of New Orleans.

It's pretty amazing what engineers can do.
12-10-2015 05:36 PM
salukiblue Offline
Liaison to the Dummies

I Root For: Space Mountain
(12-10-2015 05:05 PM)21-17 Best Time I Ever Ha Wrote:  Not a good sign. Building such tall buildings on the unstable sand of the bluffs and then putting a multi-story garage underground? Kind of makes me cringe. I was never so glad to move out of the 100 N. Main, a tall skinny building without reinforced steel.

Are you an engineer?
12-11-2015 01:00 PM
Advertisement

Heisman

(12-10-2015 05:36 PM)umbluegray Wrote:  

Well, they can put a huge domed arena in a swamp in the bayou of New Orleans.

It's pretty amazing what engineers can do.

Yes, they can, but should they? I notice those skyscrapers in Dubai, too, but I also notice some scary fires in them.
12-11-2015 03:55 PM
Heisman

(12-11-2015 01:00 PM)salukiblue Wrote:  

Are you an engineer?

ha ha! No, but I had a damn fine geology teacher at Vandy who pioneered earthquake research on the New Madrid fault. I also have some knowledge of architecture from my major.
12-11-2015 03:57 PM
Advertisement

3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

I Root For: Omar Sneed
(12-11-2015 03:57 PM)21-17 Best Time I Ever Ha Wrote:  
(12-11-2015 01:00 PM)salukiblue Wrote:  

Are you an engineer?

ha ha! No, but I had a damn fine geology teacher at Vandy who pioneered earthquake research on the New Madrid fault. I also have some knowledge of architecture from my major.

Can you explain un-reinforced steel to us laymen?
12-11-2015 09:04 PM
georgiatiger Offline
Axel

I Root For: Everyone
Donators
(12-10-2015 02:07 PM)memp600 Wrote:  I'm a little concerned now that this project may not get off the ground.

I can't see it ever getting financed. It's a tough sell.
12-12-2015 11:33 AM
Advertisement

Heisman

No, I can't, although I have heard one architect and several other people say the same thing. And my geology teacher said not only would he not work in the 100 N. Main, he would not live anywhere near the bluff, because of what happened in 1811-1812, liquefaction of the unstable sand and sloughing off of the bluffs all along the Mississippi. Lately, a new fault line has been discovered underneath the Mississippi River near Memphis.

My layman's understanding ~ maybe I should have said, unreinforced concrete ~ is that there are not enough steel beams to support that skinny building in the event of a major earthquake, or that they are not tied into the concrete walls and foundation in the best way. I am more familiar with older buildings which have unsupported masonry walls, like the one that partially collapsed on South Main recently.

The other problem that I have heard voiced with that building is that it is a 37-story building built on an 8-story garage. Perhaps not the best design for earthquake country. The architect told me that interior walls, contrary to popular belief, do indeed add some support to a structure.

Apparently, 100 N. Main has a twin building in Milwaukee.

Do you have some knowledge of this?
12-12-2015 01:23 PM
3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

I Root For: Omar Sneed
(12-12-2015 01:23 PM)21-17 Best Time I Ever Ha Wrote:  No, I can't, although I have heard one architect and several other people say the same thing. And my geology teacher said not only would he not work in the 100 N. Main, he would not live anywhere near the bluff, because of what happened in 1811-1812, liquefaction of the unstable sand and sloughing off of the bluffs all along the Mississippi. Lately, a new fault line has been discovered underneath the Mississippi River near Memphis.

My layman's understanding ~ maybe I should have said, unreinforced concrete ~ is that there are not enough steel beams to support that skinny building in the event of a major earthquake, or that they are not tied into the concrete walls and foundation in the best way. I am more familiar with older buildings which have unsupported masonry walls, like the one that partially collapsed on South Main recently.

The other problem that I have heard voiced with that building is that it is a 37-story building built on an 8-story garage. Perhaps not the best design for earthquake country. The architect told me that interior walls, contrary to popular belief, do indeed add some support to a structure.

Sounds like we are equally uneducated on the subject.
12-13-2015 07:59 PM
JerryJeff Offline
All American

I Root For:
(12-13-2015 07:59 PM)3601 Wrote:  
(12-12-2015 01:23 PM)21-17 Best Time I Ever Ha Wrote:  No, I can't, although I have heard one architect and several other people say the same thing. And my geology teacher said not only would he not work in the 100 N. Main, he would not live anywhere near the bluff, because of what happened in 1811-1812, liquefaction of the unstable sand and sloughing off of the bluffs all along the Mississippi. Lately, a new fault line has been discovered underneath the Mississippi River near Memphis.

Sounds like we are equally uneducated on the subject.

Easy now, she went to Hutchison!
12-16-2015 11:17 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.