Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Coach Murphy explains schedule - I owe him an apology
Bookmark and Share
Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

I Root For: EMU
Coach Murphy explains the reasons why EMU schedules lower level competition. On this note, i owe Coach Murphy an apology. I need to be more positive as we all do for basketball even though i get frustrsted with an exclusive zone defense. Lets get behind Coach Murphy and team: https://m.soundcloud.com/andrewmascharka...um=twitter
12-08-2015 11:37 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TheWoodenNickle Offline
Heisman

(12-08-2015 11:37 PM)Luckeyone Wrote:  Coach Murphy explains the reasons why EMU schedules lower level competition. On this note, i owe Coach Murphy an apology. I need to be more positive as we all do for basketball even though i get frustrsted with an exclusive zone defense. Lets get behind Coach Murphy and team: https://m.soundcloud.com/andrewmascharka...um=twitter

That was an amazing rant. I enjoyed that. I'm not sure who he was talking about but I can only assume it was totem. Has the echo written anything negative? I mean, who else is there that writes about EMU?

I'm extremely disappointed that Mlive does not cover EMU. I am also pissed at them for the way they cover other local subjects. Ironically, in a world with more media outlets then ever before, EMU gets less coverage. There was a time when the Ann Arbor News and Ypsi Press both covered EMU. The Detroit TV channels would often send a camera crew to games for highlights (those days are done because it is cheaper to buy highlights from ESPN). EMUs attendance for all athletics was much better then also. Its not a coincidence. When you are off the media radar nobody knows you exist.
12-09-2015 07:14 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
RE: Coach Murphy explains schedule - I owe him an apology
(12-08-2015 11:37 PM)Luckeyone Wrote:  Coach Murphy explains the reasons why EMU schedules lower level competition. On this note, i owe Coach Murphy an apology. I need to be more positive as we all do for basketball even though i get frustrsted with an exclusive zone defense. Lets get behind Coach Murphy and team: https://m.soundcloud.com/andrewmascharka...um=twitter

Good point.

We need to remember that we are all on the same side (or team).

This isn't politics with Democrats and Republicans and folks line up on one side or the other for the purpose of winning elections and defeating the other side.
12-09-2015 07:22 AM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
(12-09-2015 07:14 AM)TheWoodenNickle Wrote:  

That was an amazing rant. I enjoyed that. I'm not sure who he was talking about but I can only assume it was totem. Has the echo written anything negative? I mean, who else is there that writes about EMU?

I'm extremely disappointed that Mlive does not cover EMU. I am also pissed at them for the way they cover other local subjects. Ironically, in a world with more media outlets then ever before, EMU gets less coverage. There was a time when the Ann Arbor News and Ypsi Press both covered EMU. The Detroit TV channels would often send a camera crew to games for highlights (those days are done because it is cheaper to buy highlights from ESPN). EMUs attendance for all athletics was much better then also. Its not a coincidence. When you are off the media radar nobody knows you exist.

Well the Free Press and News have nothing negative about EMU basketball program which is because they have nothing to say about EMU's basketball program at the current time.
12-09-2015 07:33 AM
EagleTough Offline
All American

(12-09-2015 07:14 AM)TheWoodenNickle Wrote:  

Totem sucks, but he should really stop reading about what other people think, and get some thicker skin. Focus on yourself and your team and wins games. Everything else will follow.
12-09-2015 10:39 AM
HuronDave Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The MAC
DonatorsCrappiesCrappies
I miss covering EMU. He makes some good points, stuff people need to understand. But, taking shots at a guy by saying he (Murphy) hangs around with high-level media people (an indirect slam at maybe one of the few people who actually cover EMU) is a little distasteful. Maybe he should seek out that media person and explain to him some of this stuff he just revealed. Be proactive not reactive or understand this is what you will have to deal with. Remember, too, the media is not here to cheer for your team. But, to be fair, media also needs at times to strike a balance. It's a tough gig for all sides under the circumstances that are EMU athletics.
12-09-2015 11:19 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

realistEagle Offline
Special Teams

Murph is the man. Sucks he had to explain something so simple to these folks. But hey you still have to take some of these adults, sit them down on your knee and explain stuff like you would to a little child. We even have some of those adults present among us here on this board.
12-09-2015 11:49 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
(12-09-2015 11:19 AM)HuronDave Wrote:  I miss covering EMU. He makes some good points, stuff people need to understand. But, taking shots at a guy by saying he (Murphy) hangs around with high-level media people (an indirect slam at maybe one of the few people who actually cover EMU) is a little distasteful. Maybe he should seek out that media person and explain to him some of this stuff he just revealed. Be proactive not reactive or understand this is what you will have to deal with. Remember, too, the media is not here to cheer for your team. But, to be fair, media also needs at times to strike a balance. It's a tough gig for all sides under the circumstances that are EMU athletics.

Anyone who doesn't understand our financial issues and how they impact our programs, scheduling, etc. isn't a good journalist.

They need to do their homework. Ask Murphy about his schedule before running off at the keyboard...

Andrew Mascharka, now the sports editor at the Echo, has a different style.
12-09-2015 12:16 PM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
I'm sure its frustrating to Murphy and company you have back to back 20 win seasons and the reaction is one big yawn from the major media players in east Michigan, another big yawn from instate recruits, another big yawn from students, and another big yawn from the community. But its all someone else's fault not Murphy or his lack of marketing his own program. Plenty of alums live around the Ypsi-Ann Arbor area and they don't come to games.

What is interesting is the difference between Creighton and Murphy in marketing their programs. Murphy has some success to market but really doesn't and Creighton doesn't but markets the program 24/7.
12-09-2015 12:54 PM
TheWoodenNickle Offline
Heisman

(12-09-2015 12:54 PM)emu79 Wrote:  I'm sure its frustrating to Murphy and company you have back to back 20 win seasons and the reaction is one big yawn from the major media players in east Michigan, another big yawn from instate recruits, another big yawn from students, and another big yawn from the community. But its all someone else's fault not Murphy or his lack of marketing his own program. Plenty of alums live around the Ypsi-Ann Arbor area and they don't come to games.

What is interesting is the difference between Creighton and Murphy in marketing their programs. Murphy has some success to market but really doesn't and Creighton doesn't but markets the program 24/7.

I know a lot of EMU alums that are big UM fans and don't even pay attention to EMU. Can't fix that.
12-09-2015 01:19 PM
Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

(12-09-2015 01:19 PM)TheWoodenNickle Wrote:  
(12-09-2015 12:54 PM)emu79 Wrote:  I'm sure its frustrating to Murphy and company you have back to back 20 win seasons and the reaction is one big yawn from the major media players in east Michigan, another big yawn from instate recruits, another big yawn from students, and another big yawn from the community. But its all someone else's fault not Murphy or his lack of marketing his own program. Plenty of alums live around the Ypsi-Ann Arbor area and they don't come to games.

I know a lot of EMU alums that are big UM fans and don't even pay attention to EMU. Can't fix that.

Yes we can....be positive about EMU.

And.......EMU needs to do better than average in the conference like win it.

If coach Murphy could stay and build a team that could win a couple MAC titles and noise in the NCAA, the fans and media will come.
12-09-2015 01:28 PM
Advertisement

TheWoodenNickle Offline
Heisman

(12-09-2015 01:28 PM)Luckeyone Wrote:  
(12-09-2015 01:19 PM)TheWoodenNickle Wrote:  

Yes we can....be positive about EMU.

And.......EMU needs to do better than average in the conference like win it.

If coach Murphy could stay and build a team that could win a couple MAC titles and noise in the NCAA, the fans and media will come.

Unfortunately you are right. EMU will need to win big just to get coverage by their local "newspaper" (I really hate Mlive. Have I mentioned that recently?)
12-09-2015 02:19 PM
emussuperfan Offline
Heisman

Well just listen to and I'm not impressed. Yes i understand the money, but he is blaming the messager. I am constantly being asked what we can to to get attendance up and i answer stop scheduling so many non d1 teams. It is said that absence makes the heart grow fonder, if you can't get them to come here then play them road games. And as far as playing these naia teams will make you better team I've been watching us play these games for over 20 years and that is pure bs. Because if that were true we would MAC champions the last 5 years. He said Thompsons leads the MAC in scoring and rebounding and i say so what? We've played 4 naia teams he say we played state yes that was nice pen st rpi ranking is close to 200 . He thinks we fans are stupid or should be . I am not a rah rah fan i want my team to play hard, win hard and win against good D1 TEAMS! Don't tell me because I'm not all giiddy over a 4-0 against naia i am a fan! Most this isn't his fault he came into a tough situation i know man do i know . But we should only concintrate on the positive makes him sound like bush. When are I'll tell you you're good you're good, when you're bad I'll tell you thats alright you'll get better. This rant was very unprofessional. 07-coffee3
12-09-2015 05:13 PM
emussuperfan Offline
Heisman

And to say that playing naia teams makes a better team! Is pure bs!
12-09-2015 05:18 PM
emussuperfan Offline
Heisman

And if these naia are only played to make the team better why aren't exibition games why are they counted as regular season win/loss? Most of them in the past weren't counted we would play one exibition and one regular season.
12-09-2015 05:24 PM
Bob Wickersham Offline
Heisman

Blaming the "media" is dumb, blaming the head coach is dumb. The scheduling snafu falls on one person and one person only and that is the AD. I have said since day one that Heather Lyke doesn't know what she's doing. Bottom line if the AD didn't budget enough money for basketball to schedule and PAY legitimate opponents, then she is in over her head. This is Division I, not intramural, brother.
12-09-2015 05:27 PM
Advertisement

emussuperfan Offline
Heisman

This comes in the wake of the altercation i had a convo volunteer staffer now i see where it came from! If you don't support the coach if you dont close your eyes and follow blindly you don't support EMU basketball.
12-09-2015 05:29 PM
EAGLE KING Offline
1st String

Hard to not agree with Murphy on all of his points. I agree with those that say "Fans" do not need to always be positive. However there is a fine line where we are no longer trying to be constructive and helpful with the teams and become negative and hurt our programs. Is this a product of a losing culture? Most likely. However we cannot be EMU's biggest critics. No one else cares about our programs besides a select small small group of alumni. In my opinion this select group needs to be the ones that raise up our programs from the ashes and promote the positives to the "non fans and EMU Alumni Wolverines." This along with a more consistent culture of winning will bring more fans to the seats and more positive articles written in the media.
12-09-2015 06:31 PM
Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

(12-09-2015 06:31 PM)EAGLE KING Wrote:  Hard to not agree with Murphy on all of his points. I agree with those that say "Fans" do not need to always be positive. However there is a fine line where we are no longer trying to be constructive and helpful with the teams and become negative and hurt our programs. Is this a product of a losing culture? Most likely. However we cannot be EMU's biggest critics. No one else cares about our programs besides a select small small group of alumni. In my opinion this select group needs to be the ones that raise up our programs from the ashes and promote the positives to the "non fans and EMU Alumni Wolverines." This along with a more consistent culture of winning will bring more fans to the seats and more positive articles written in the media.

Eagle King, great points and we'll said. You're on the money that most of the real die hard fans that really care passionately about EMU are the ones reading and writing on these blogs.

As many of you know, the internet can be used positively or negatively to propagate a message to many. Let's band with Murphy and be positive atleast until 1/2 way thru the MAC season. Let's face it, constructive criticism is OK but do it tastefully. .....where did I read that it is not what comes out of a man that makes him unclean, it is what comes out of his mouth.......and remember, the pen can be mightier than the sword.

In my opinion, it's OK to voice a concern about our NAIA schedule, but maybe we should write Heather Lyke to invest money into the basketball program which could be on the brink of turning the corner and moving in the right direction. Let's ban together with coach Murphy and be positive.
12-09-2015 08:30 PM
emussuperfan Offline
Heisman

I stated several times about the money situation, i know why, we all know why this will not change, whinning about it and blaming the media or negative comments isn't going make it better. The better question is why are these naia games are being used to make the win lose record better than it should be? Why brag about beating an niai team? Why brag about a meaningless tournament lose in the first round?. Fans are not stupid! To claim how great it is that after 18 we play in a post season tournament is insulting. We had 8 seniors grad students players and that is the best we could do. Saddening really. Respect is earned not given! You want respect earn it win road d1 games not these useless meaningless naia games ether we are d1 or not!
12-09-2015 08:51 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.