Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Question about the B1G stopping deregulation
Bookmark and Share
Bathtub Gin Offline
All American

I Root For: Free Market
Question about the B1G stopping deregulation
So can the B1G stop deregulation by themselves or do other conferences have to get involved too? I am trying to see just how likely it is that they can stop deregulation from happening
12-08-2015 11:49 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Titans3775 Offline
All American

I Root For: Nuclear Power
RE: Question about the B1G stopping deregulation
(12-08-2015 11:49 AM)Bathtub Gin Wrote:  So can the B1G stop deregulation by themselves or do other conferences have to get involved too? I am trying to see just how likely it is that they can stop deregulation from happening

They can't stop it by themselves. They likely have the PAC on their side with the ability to sway the SEC. You have to figure the G5 will vote with the Big12 and ACC though to keep from being raided.
12-08-2015 11:52 AM
UofMstateU Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
(12-08-2015 11:52 AM)Titans3775 Wrote:  
(12-08-2015 11:49 AM)Bathtub Gin Wrote:  So can the B1G stop deregulation by themselves or do other conferences have to get involved too? I am trying to see just how likely it is that they can stop deregulation from happening

They can't stop it by themselves. They likely have the PAC on their side with the ability to sway the SEC. You have to figure the G5 will vote with the Big12 and ACC though to keep from being raided.

P5 conferences get double the votes. I'm not sure if the need a simple majority or 2/3rds for passage.

Out of 15 votes, they would need 8 for a simple majority. The ACC and B12 are a sure 4. They would need 4 G5 conferences to make that work. Thats doubtful, because the teams in those leagues only hope of moving up (either to the P5 or AAC) is for the B12 to expand.

If its 2/3'rds, then its dead as long as the PAC, B10, and SEC vote against it.
12-08-2015 12:01 PM
MemTigerFan Offline
The People's Photographer

I Root For: Tigers!

Donators
G5 vote doesn't matter, since the P5 has autonomy now. (AFAIK)

This was always going to be the next step. The vote for deregulation was just to wipe out the current requirements but didn't automatically allow the game to happen. Big 12 would have still needed the other P5 schools to allow them to do so amongst themselves. And it's in the best interests of the other P5 schools to not allow it.
12-08-2015 12:01 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tigx Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Sanity

I would assume it would take 3 of the P5 conferences to vote to stop the deregulation/waiver.

It does make one wonder why the B12 would get to vote on their own waiver. Seems like they should be forced to abstain. If so, only 4 votes. If two - the B10 and the PAC12 - vote no and the ACC and SEC vote yes, what happens? A tie means not approved? So many details that we don't have access to.
(This post was last modified: 12-08-2015 12:03 PM by Tigx.)
12-08-2015 12:02 PM
Advertisement

Tygrys Offline
Heisman

(12-08-2015 12:02 PM)Tigx Wrote:  

I would assume it would take 3 of the P5 conferences to vote to stop the deregulation/waiver.

It does make one wonder why the B12 would get to vote on their own waiver. Seems like they should be forced to abstain. If so, only 4 votes. If two - the B10 and the PAC12 - vote no and the ACC and SEC vote yes, what happens? A tie means not approved? So many details that we don't have access to.

Probably because a lot of those details do not exist. The NCAA has always just made things up as they go...
12-08-2015 12:07 PM
UofMstateU Offline
Legend

There are 15 votes. The 5 P5 get 2 votes, and the 5 G5 gets one vote, for a total of 15 votes.

There is no tie, as to get a majority would be 8 votes, with only 7 left over.

If its 2/3'rds, it would need 10 for passage.

I'm not sure which it would be, as I'd need to read the by-laws to see if a repeal of the 12 team minimum can be done by simple majority or 2/3'rds vote.
12-08-2015 12:07 PM
tigerjamesc Offline
Heisman

I Root For: more wins
I think too much is being made of this B1G stuff. They've said explicitly they are not trying to stop the deregulation but wanted more discussion. This says dereg is not a slam dunk but not that Delany wants it stopped
12-08-2015 12:23 PM
Tigx Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-08-2015 12:23 PM)tigerjamesc Wrote:  I think too much is being made of this B1G stuff. They've said explicitly they are not trying to stop the deregulation but wanted more discussion. This says dereg is not a slam dunk but not that Delany wants it stopped

But Tigerjamesc, in my opinion, that is happy talk for public consumption.

B10/Delaney is going to try to force the B12 to have a CCG, end of story. They don't want their best teams to risk a loss in a 13th game when the B12 does not have to risk this.
12-08-2015 12:29 PM
Advertisement

tigerjamesc Offline
Heisman

(12-08-2015 12:23 PM)tigerjamesc Wrote:  I think too much is being made of this B1G stuff. They've said explicitly they are not trying to stop the deregulation but wanted more discussion. This says dereg is not a slam dunk but not that Delany wants it stopped

http://espn.go.com/college-football/stor...regulation

"I agree a conference should not have to expand in order to have a championship game," Delany told ESPN.com. "That wouldn't be right. That's tail wagging dog. On the other hand, I want to have some familiarity -- some knowledge as to how these things are going to play out. I don't want unintended consequences. I don't want to wake up one morning and see some odd structure that's unfamiliar.

"We don't think he should have to expand to have the same option we have," Delany said, "but we feel he should have a structure similar to ours."

The Big Ten's amendment calls for championship games to be between two members that are divisional champions. Deregulation opens the possibility of having the top two teams in the league play each other without divisions.
12-08-2015 12:30 PM
tigerjamesc Offline
Heisman

(12-08-2015 12:29 PM)Tigx Wrote:  

B10/Delaney is going to try to force the B12 to have a CCG, end of story. They don't want their best teams to risk a loss in a 13th game when the B12 does not have to risk this.
I hope so. I think you're right to a point. But, does it "force" them to add? No Imo
All this does is force them to have two divisions of 5. That's not preferable to the B12, so they may expand. Plus, there's no guarantee Delany's proposition has support
(This post was last modified: 12-08-2015 12:34 PM by tigerjamesc.)
12-08-2015 12:31 PM
UofMstateU Offline
Legend

There are at least two parts to deregulation. 1 part is getting rid of the 12 team minimum for a CCG.

Deregulation is used in too broad of a term by everyone. Even Bowlsby used it both broadly & vaguely a couple of months ago when he said deregulation was gaining speed and would certainly pass. Some of us called BS on that, because he didnt explicitely mention the 12 team minimum part of deregulation. I believe most everyone supports the other part of deregulation, which allows the conference to select which teams are in the CCG.

The B12 teams had been getting $26M from the conference. I thought I read somewhere where the disbursement for 2015 was going to be $31M per team. Plus Texas gets another $15M with the LHN, and some other schools which sell their 3tier rights get much more as well. A conference championship game could bring another $2M to $4M per team for ten teams.

Thats why the PAC and B10 dont want the B12 to hold a CCG with only ten teams. Those ten teams can more easily become superrich, and more easily outpace the B10 or PAC teams since there are fewer mouths to feed. 20%-40% fewer schools mean a big pop whenever they hit a revenue stream, and its harder for the 14 team conference to keep up that pace on a per team basis.
12-08-2015 12:40 PM
Tigx Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-08-2015 12:31 PM)tigerjamesc Wrote:  
(12-08-2015 12:29 PM)Tigx Wrote:  

I hope so. I think you're right to a point. But, does it "force" them to add? No Imo
All this does is force them to have two divisions of 5. That's not preferable to the B12, so they may expand. Plus, there's no guarantee Delany's proposition has support

Agreed, and I said "try" to force. I don't know if it will succeed, but admire Delaney for trying. And for not being afraid to look like the bad guy.
12-08-2015 12:52 PM
Advertisement

Pastnerized Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TIGERS
They would also have to change the divisional requirement of at least 6 teams per division. This is where Delaney gets slippery. Like a fox.
(This post was last modified: 12-08-2015 01:36 PM by Pastnerized.)
12-08-2015 01:35 PM
TigersOhMy Offline
Not 1st String

I saw somewhere yesterday this could also be his play to get Texas/Oklahoma into the B1G. Force the B12s hand, and if they balk, just offer an invitation to OU/Texas. The B1g is extremely sneaky in the things they have done in regards to realignment, so I put nothing past them.
12-08-2015 01:52 PM
Tigx Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-08-2015 01:52 PM)TigersOhMy Wrote:  I saw somewhere yesterday this could also be his play to get Texas/Oklahoma into the B1G. Force the B12s hand, and if they balk, just offer an invitation to OU/Texas. The B1g is extremely sneaky in the things they have done in regards to realignment, so I put nothing past them.

One other theory is that Oklahoma wants it known that the B10 is interested in them, because Oklahoma wants to expand. But OK knows some B12 member schools need a kick in the butt to move, and floating the idea of leaving the B12 accomplishes that.
12-08-2015 01:58 PM
former guest Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis Tigers!
Ok, here's a question for the group: exactly how would a "conference" vote? Are we talking about the head of the conference? Because, if that's how, why in the world would a president or conference head (Aresco for the AAC) vote for a measure that pretty much guarantees his conference gets raided? I know the individual university presidents might have some push, but in the end it's one vote from the AAC and I bet our vote would be for whatever way stabilizes the conference alignment picture.

The devil is in the details of how this whole thing is worded/presented/lobbied and the bent around for the benefit of the P5 when it is all said and done.
12-08-2015 03:29 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.