Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

If the B1G wants to go to 16,...
shizzle787 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UConn
If the B1G wants to go to 16,...
could it try to lure Kentucky and grab UConn to get to 16. The SEC does not have a GOR and as the SEC and B1G make comparable money,and Kentucky is more of a basketball school and would meet up with one of its greatest rivals (Indiana). Is it possible that the B1G could think up something dastardly like that. For the conference I would have 4 divisions of 4 with 9 conferences games (you play 2 teams in each of the 3 divisions every other year).

East:
Penn St.
UConn
Rutgers
Maryland

North:
Ohio St.
Michigan St.
Michigan
Northwestern

South:
Indiana
Purdue
Illinois
Kentucky

West:
Minnesota
Iowa
Wisconsin
Nebraska

The two division winners with the best records advance to the CCG.
12-07-2015 10:20 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Rich52c Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Uconn
RE: If the B1G wants to go to 16,...
(12-07-2015 10:20 PM)shizzle787 Wrote:  could it try to lure Kentucky and grab UConn to get to 16. The SEC does not have a GOR and as the SEC and B1G make comparable money,and Kentucky is more of a basketball school and would meet up with one of its greatest rivals (Indiana). Is it possible that the B1G could think up something dastardly like that. For the conference I would have 4 divisions of 4 with 9 conferences games (you play 2 teams in each of the 3 divisions every other year).

East:
Penn St.
UConn
Rutgers
Maryland

North:
Ohio St.
Michigan St.
Michigan
Northwestern

South:
Indiana
Purdue
Illinois
Kentucky

West:
Minnesota
Iowa
Wisconsin
Nebraska

Only AAU members.Thus no UConn or Kentucky
12-07-2015 10:22 PM
shizzle787 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UConn
(12-07-2015 10:22 PM)Rich52c Wrote:  
(12-07-2015 10:20 PM)shizzle787 Wrote:  could it try to lure Kentucky and grab UConn to get to 16. The SEC does not have a GOR and as the SEC and B1G make comparable money,and Kentucky is more of a basketball school and would meet up with one of its greatest rivals (Indiana). Is it possible that the B1G could think up something dastardly like that. For the conference I would have 4 divisions of 4 with 9 conferences games (you play 2 teams in each of the 3 divisions every other year).

East:
Penn St.
UConn
Rutgers
Maryland

North:
Ohio St.
Michigan St.
Michigan
Northwestern

South:
Indiana
Purdue
Illinois
Kentucky

West:
Minnesota
Iowa
Wisconsin
Nebraska

UConn isn't far from membership though, and if the B1G wanted us, all of the schools would vote in the AAU vote for us.
12-07-2015 10:26 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
(12-07-2015 10:26 PM)shizzle787 Wrote:  

East:
Penn St.
UConn
Rutgers
Maryland

North:
Ohio St.
Michigan St.
Michigan
Northwestern

South:
Indiana
Purdue
Illinois
Kentucky

West:
Minnesota
Iowa
Wisconsin
Nebraska

UConn isn't far from membership though, and if the B1G wanted us, all of the schools would vote in the AAU vote for us.

03-lmfao it isn't quite that way...60+ members
(This post was last modified: 12-07-2015 11:19 PM by TexanMark.)
12-07-2015 11:19 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

I Root For: UCONN
(12-07-2015 11:19 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  
(12-07-2015 10:26 PM)shizzle787 Wrote:  

East:
Penn St.
UConn
Rutgers
Maryland

North:
Ohio St.
Michigan St.
Michigan
Northwestern

South:
Indiana
Purdue
Illinois
Kentucky

West:
Minnesota
Iowa
Wisconsin
Nebraska

03-lmfao it isn't quite that way...60+ members

There's always a way to game the system...
12-07-2015 11:25 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
Big 10 schools might vote D1 FBS schools to be an AAU member. If they wanted Kentucky? Could they offer Kentucky a spot in the AAU as long as they join the Big 10?
12-07-2015 11:31 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC
Well Calipari has already said He will not play in Indiana's Assembly Hall so that is out.
12-07-2015 11:34 PM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
(12-07-2015 10:26 PM)shizzle787 Wrote:  UConn isn't far from membership though, and if the B1G wanted us, all of the schools would vote in the AAU vote for us.
After the Big Ten snuck in then-AAU member Nebraska, two members voted to kick Nebraska out.

So, no, it doesn't work that way. Indeed, after pulling that fast one on the academic snobs in Big Ten institutions, it seems likely that the snobs are on the lookout for the Big Ten trying to pull another fast one.

And, of course, the add has to be even more compelling than Maryland to justify stepping up from 14 to 16. Either UConn or Kentucky would be fairly weak candidates as a #16 school, so if the pair were the only available expansion, the Big Ten would stand pat at 14.
12-08-2015 12:11 AM
allthatyoucantleavebehind Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Penn State
I suppose this was a basketball-driven proposal...but UConn and Kentucky?!?! That's gotta be the first time I've seen that combo!

Mizzou and UConn are my option 1a.
Kansas and OU are my option 1b.

Other than blowing up the ACC, I don't really see any other semi-feasible options for the Big Ten to expand.
12-08-2015 01:01 AM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UND
(12-08-2015 01:01 AM)allthatyoucantleavebehind Wrote:  I suppose this was a basketball-driven proposal...but UConn and Kentucky?!?! That's gotta be the first time I've seen that combo!

Other than blowing up the ACC, I don't really see any other semi-feasible options for the Big Ten to expand.

Mizzou and Vanderbilt are 1c

Vanderbilt gives the B1G a number of contiguous AAU choices to 18 or 20.
12-08-2015 01:23 AM
Old Dominion Navy Offline
The Lion King

I Root For: ODU SDSU
Kentucky? Really? No SEC team in their right mind would leave other then maybe Mizzou. Kentuckys got it made for bball, as there are no schools that are close to their level besides Florida.
12-08-2015 01:28 AM
Advertisement

BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
(12-08-2015 01:23 AM)NoDak Wrote:  Mizzou and Vanderbilt are 1c

So the idea here is that Tennessee borders on not just Kentucky, Virginia and Missouri (all already contiguous), but also North Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, and Arkansas.

And because Missouri is contiguous, adding Missouri makes Vanderbilt contiguous.

So this really is a game of Conference Realignment Risk? Are you hoping that the Big Ten can get Vanderbilt by rolling enough 5's and 6's?

No team would be added at 15 and 16 because of the contiguity that it provides for a possible 17 and 18 expansion ... they would be added because they are expected to bring a net increase in value per team to the conference.

And nobody leaves the SEC, just like nobody leaves the Big Ten ... once somebody throws in an SEC team or a Big Ten team in conference realignment speculation, all it shows is that its lost even a tenuous contact with reality. If Vanderbilt stayed in the SEC when all it had for high status academic company was Florida, why would it leave now that Mizzou and Texas A&M have joined the conference? And also why would it walk away from the equity it is building up as we speak in the SECN, in order to start over from scratch building up equity in the BTN?
(This post was last modified: 12-08-2015 06:27 AM by BruceMcF.)
12-08-2015 06:25 AM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
(12-08-2015 01:23 AM)NoDak Wrote:  
(12-08-2015 01:01 AM)allthatyoucantleavebehind Wrote:  I suppose this was a basketball-driven proposal...but UConn and Kentucky?!?! That's gotta be the first time I've seen that combo!

Mizzou and Vanderbilt are 1c

Vanderbilt already have the carrot, and would not budge from the SEC. There is nothing that the Big 10 could give to them. To lure an SEC school from the the conference? You have to give them a promise. Which SEC school would jump at the chance if the Big 10 give that school a vote of confidence for them joining the Big 10 by giving them votes to become an AAU school?
12-08-2015 08:41 AM
quo vadis Online
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(12-07-2015 10:20 PM)shizzle787 Wrote:  could it try to lure Kentucky ...

I've always felt that Kentucky could eventually join the B1G. Proximity, basketball focus. But the cultural/academic rift is pretty wide.
12-08-2015 09:30 AM
CliftonAve Online
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
No way does Kentucky or Vandy leave the SEC for the B10. You have to understand the schools involved here, they are proud to be in a southern-based conference. Their alums-- particularly UK's-- would storm the university with pitchforks if they joined a league with schools in New Jersey, Illinois, Minnesota, etc.
12-08-2015 09:39 AM
EvilVodka Offline
stuff

I Root For: FSU LSU
Add Kansas and Rice to the West, move Purdue to the East
12-08-2015 09:45 AM
Advertisement

5thTiger Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Missouri
(12-08-2015 06:25 AM)BruceMcF Wrote:  
(12-08-2015 01:23 AM)NoDak Wrote:  Mizzou and Vanderbilt are 1c

So the idea here is that Tennessee borders on not just Kentucky, Virginia and Missouri (all already contiguous), but also North Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, and Arkansas.

And because Missouri is contiguous, adding Missouri makes Vanderbilt contiguous.

So this really is a game of Conference Realignment Risk? Are you hoping that the Big Ten can get Vanderbilt by rolling enough 5's and 6's?

No team would be added at 15 and 16 because of the contiguity that it provides for a possible 17 and 18 expansion ... they would be added because they are expected to bring a net increase in value per team to the conference.

And nobody leaves the SEC, just like nobody leaves the Big Ten ... once somebody throws in an SEC team or a Big Ten team in conference realignment speculation, all it shows is that its lost even a tenuous contact with reality. If Vanderbilt stayed in the SEC when all it had for high status academic company was Florida, why would it leave now that Mizzou and Texas A&M have joined the conference? And also why would it walk away from the equity it is building up as we speak in the SECN, in order to start over from scratch building up equity in the BTN?

Assuming the next B1G TV deal surpasses everyone (and almost every projection says it does), there would be more money in it. Of course, the equity thing is a damper, but deals can be made. Also, if the money while building equity is the same as they are getting now, it would make dollars and sense. 6 years is nothing, especially when Nebraska made over $20M while building equity (more than the best ACC and PAC schools)

The only team that would ever switch from the PAC, SEC, or B1G, would be Missouri. The B1G is our unicorn. It has been for decades. The fan base might not like or understand it, but it is clearly a better fit. Not to mention the academic prestige you gain. (10-20 spot bump in rankings usually).

I really don't think that the B1G would be interested in Vandy. They damn sure aren't interested in Kentucky, so you can throw that in front of an oncoming train.

Leaving out ACC schools, because they are easily first choice, I imagine the pool of "potentials" (not saying they would even be invited, just generate interest from the conference) would be something like this:

Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, UConn, Pitt, Syracuse, Notre Dame.

Now, most have flaws out of that group. If you aren't the #1 brand in your state, you can likely forget about even sniffing the B1G's excrement.

Pitt is likely never getting in, over Penn State's dead body. Syracuse is likely out as well after losing AAU status. UConn and Oklahoma aren't in the AAU, but both fan bases claim to be "really close". It is very difficult to get in, and the B1G has little to say about it (13 votes/62 members) Notre Dame isn't AAU, but is a clear exception. They are getting in if they want. Texas is a no brainer, but not contiguous, and known for not playing well with others. Missouri, aside from recent drama, would be a decent addition, but not a home run that they are likely looking for. Kansas has a similar story, except a smaller population and terrible football.
12-08-2015 10:06 AM
miko33 Offline
Defender of Honesty and Integrity

I Root For: Alma Mater
(12-08-2015 12:11 AM)BruceMcF Wrote:  
(12-07-2015 10:26 PM)shizzle787 Wrote:  UConn isn't far from membership though, and if the B1G wanted us, all of the schools would vote in the AAU vote for us.
After the Big Ten snuck in then-AAU member Nebraska, two members voted to kick Nebraska out.

So, no, it doesn't work that way. Indeed, after pulling that fast one on the academic snobs in Big Ten institutions, it seems likely that the snobs are on the lookout for the Big Ten trying to pull another fast one.

And, of course, the add has to be even more compelling than Maryland to justify stepping up from 14 to 16. Either UConn or Kentucky would be fairly weak candidates as a #16 school, so if the pair were the only available expansion, the Big Ten would stand pat at 14.

LOL, you seriously believe that? AAU has nothing to do with conference realignment. ND is not in the AAU. B1G has had a standing invitation to ND for many years, although it was recently revoked when ND said "NO" a gazillion times. No disrespect to ND academics because it is a very good school - AAU or no AAU.

And really now, do you honestly think that the academic types at the B1G schools didn't know that Nebraska was getting the boot from the AAU? Sure they did - or at least the guys in charge did.
12-08-2015 10:22 AM
Minutemen429 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UMass
Nobody is "close" to AAU because they don't have invite you. If you pass some of the bottom AAU schools in their metrics it seems they'd currently prefer to kick out the school you passed.
12-08-2015 10:33 AM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

I Root For: NDSU/Minnesota
No SEC team is leaving for the B1G.

That would be analogous to Siberia defecting from Russia to join the USA.
12-08-2015 10:38 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.