Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Arizona Athletic Director...RichRod turns down SEC South Carolina...
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
Arizona Athletic Director...RichRod turns down SEC South Carolina...
From the Article:

Schools generally prefer that their coaching searches be conducted in private, away from prying eyes. This secrecy allows them to do things like say the coach they hired was their first choice, even if it was their fourth.

Well, on Saturday night we learned that whoever South Carolina hires, the school won't be able to say it was its first choice.

It seems that the Gamecocks offered their job to Arizona coach Rich Rodriguez. We know this because Wildcats athletic director Greg Byrne came out on Twitter and straight up said it happened.

Greg Byrne
Greg Byrne – Verified account ‏@Greg_Byrne

Great news! @CoachRodAZ did not commit to the offer from S. Carolina. He's an Arizona Wildcat. #BearDown
8:01 PM - 5 Dec 2015
569 RETWEETS517 LIKES

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball...hing-offer
(This post was last modified: 12-06-2015 12:31 AM by Maize.)
12-06-2015 12:29 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

hawghiggs Offline
All American

I Root For: Arkansas
RE: Arizona Athletic Director...RichRod turns down SEC South Carolina...
Actually surprised that RichRod didn't take the job.
12-06-2015 12:40 AM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(12-06-2015 12:29 AM)Maize Wrote:  From the Article:

Schools generally prefer that their coaching searches be conducted in private, away from prying eyes. This secrecy allows them to do things like say the coach they hired was their first choice, even if it was their fourth.

Well, on Saturday night we learned that whoever South Carolina hires, the school won't be able to say it was its first choice.

It seems that the Gamecocks offered their job to Arizona coach Rich Rodriguez. We know this because Wildcats athletic director Greg Byrne came out on Twitter and straight up said it happened.

Greg Byrne
Greg Byrne – Verified account ‏@Greg_Byrne

Great news! @CoachRodAZ did not commit to the offer from S. Carolina. He's an Arizona Wildcat. #BearDown
8:01 PM - 5 Dec 2015
569 RETWEETS517 LIKES

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball...hing-offer

Well that's pretty classless. What goes around comes around.
12-06-2015 12:42 AM
ClemVegas Offline
Banned

I Root For: Clemson
don't see why SC would be better than Arizona
12-06-2015 12:47 AM
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB
(12-06-2015 12:47 AM)ClemVegas Wrote:  don't see why SC would be better than Arizona

the SEC has deeper pockets and more prestige. Also, from a quality of life standpoint, South Carolina is really, really nice - albeit, I hear Columbia is a dump.
12-06-2015 12:54 AM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(12-06-2015 12:54 AM)nzmorange Wrote:  
(12-06-2015 12:47 AM)ClemVegas Wrote:  don't see why SC would be better than Arizona

the SEC has deeper pockets and more prestige. Also, from a quality of life standpoint, South Carolina is really, really nice - albeit, I hear Columbia is a dump.

You shouldn't respond based upon what you hear. I've been to Columbia many times. It simply doesn't have the awesome advantage of being on the South Carolina coast. But, Columbia is a nice city with reasonable amenities. But other than the "dump" part the rest of what you say is true.
(This post was last modified: 12-06-2015 01:09 AM by JRsec.)
12-06-2015 01:08 AM
Advertisement

Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
(12-06-2015 01:08 AM)JRsec Wrote:  

You shouldn't respond based upon what you hear. I've been to Columbia many times. It simply doesn't have the awesome advantage of being on the South Carolina coast. But, Columbia is a nice city with reasonable amenities.

Columbia is a sprawling dump. There is absolutely nothing going on there but the university because of the university.
12-06-2015 01:10 AM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse

No doubt South Carolina is a bigger program than Arizona in football.

Coaching in the PAC is better where every road trip is a sweet road trip.
12-06-2015 01:10 AM
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

(12-06-2015 01:10 AM)Kittonhead Wrote:  

I don't think that coaches get to enjoy the location, aside from the visiting stadium, and SEC gameday atmospheres are a lot of fun.
12-06-2015 01:14 AM
He1nousOne Offline
The One you Love to Hate.

I Root For: Iowa/ASU
(12-06-2015 12:40 AM)hawghiggs Wrote:  Actually surprised that RichRod didn't take the job.

His daughter still goes to Arizona. That may have had some influence in the choice?
12-06-2015 01:17 AM
He1nousOne Offline
The One you Love to Hate.

I Root For: Iowa/ASU
(12-06-2015 01:14 AM)nzmorange Wrote:  
(12-06-2015 01:10 AM)Kittonhead Wrote:  

I don't think that coaches get to enjoy the location, aside from the visiting stadium, and SEC gameday atmospheres are a lot of fun.

Southeast climate vs Southwest climate is a no contest comparison. The Southwest wins at every single season.
12-06-2015 01:18 AM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(12-06-2015 01:10 AM)Kaplony Wrote:  

You shouldn't respond based upon what you hear. I've been to Columbia many times. It simply doesn't have the awesome advantage of being on the South Carolina coast. But, Columbia is a nice city with reasonable amenities.

Columbia is a sprawling dump. There is absolutely nothing going on there but the university because of the university.

Hey, I love Auburn too. But it's because it is laid back, somewhat scenic (though not quite as pretty as Clemson) and has the University. That said I traveled the Southeast rather extensively. Compared to Montgomery, Atlanta, Birmingham, New Orleans, Macon, Knoxville, Memphis, Shreveport, and some others its really pleasant. So I guess all things are relative.

But as far as stacking up against Charleston, Myrtle Beach, The Beaufort / Hilton Head area, Savannah, Jekyll Island/Sea Island, Fernandina Beach, Orange Park/Mandarin, St. Augustine, Charlotte, Chattanooga and Raleigh/Durham no it is not a happening place, but still far from a dump. BTW there is no sprawl like Jacksonville sprawl.
(This post was last modified: 12-06-2015 01:21 AM by JRsec.)
12-06-2015 01:19 AM
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

(12-06-2015 01:19 AM)JRsec Wrote:  

Hey, I love Auburn too. But it's because it is laid back, somewhat scenic (though not quite as pretty as Clemson) and has the University. That said I traveled the Southeast rather extensively. Compared to Montgomery, Atlanta, Birmingham, New Orleans, Macon, Knoxville, Memphis, Shreveport, and some others its really pleasant. So I guess all things are relative.

But as far as stacking up against Charleston, Myrtle Beach, The Beaufort / Hilton Head area, Savannah, Jekyll Island/Sea Island, Fernandina Beach, Orange Park/Mandarin, St. Augustine, Charlotte, Chattanooga and Raleigh/Durham no it is not a happening place, but still far from a dump.
*Knoxville is also surprisingly nice, and I've always liked Chattanooga.
*New Orleans is an absolute dump in pretty much every way, but I love it. Weirdly enough, I think that it's dumpiness is part of the charm.
*IMHO, Birmingham and Atlanta makes the dentist's office seem really attractive.
**Heck, I'd consider living in Chapel Hill before I lived in Atlanta, and there aren't words for how much I dislike CH.
(This post was last modified: 12-06-2015 01:27 AM by nzmorange.)
12-06-2015 01:26 AM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(12-06-2015 01:26 AM)nzmorange Wrote:  
(12-06-2015 12:54 AM)nzmorange Wrote:  the SEC has deeper pockets and more prestige. Also, from a quality of life standpoint, South Carolina is really, really nice - albeit, I hear Columbia is a dump.

But as far as stacking up against Charleston, Myrtle Beach, The Beaufort / Hilton Head area, Savannah, Jekyll Island/Sea Island, Fernandina Beach, Orange Park/Mandarin, St. Augustine, Charlotte, Chattanooga and Raleigh/Durham no it is not a happening place, but still far from a dump.
*Knoxville is also surprisingly nice, and I've always liked Chattanooga.
*New Orleans is an absolute dump in pretty much every way, but I love it. Weirdly enough, I think that it's dumpiness is part of the charm.
*IMHO, Birmingham and Atlanta makes the dentist's office seem really attractive.
**Heck, I'd consider living in Chapel Hill before I lived in Atlanta, and there aren't words for how much I dislike CH.
The sad thing about Chapel Hill is that it is the attitude that poisons the atmosphere but that attitude is not native Carolinian as much as it is Corporate. But I absolutely know what you mean. As for Knoxville parts of it are charming, and other parts you don't need to be in after dark. I enjoyed and agreed with much of the rest of your analysis.
(This post was last modified: 12-06-2015 01:34 AM by JRsec.)
12-06-2015 01:33 AM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
(12-06-2015 01:17 AM)He1nousOne Wrote:  
(12-06-2015 12:40 AM)hawghiggs Wrote:  Actually surprised that RichRod didn't take the job.

His daughter still goes to Arizona. That may have had some influence in the choice?

Maybe so. Keeping his family in Tucson could be enough to tip the balance in favor of Arizona over South Carolina. Who knows, maybe his wife even said that if he took the South Carolina job she would stay in Tucson with their daughter. Wouldn't be the first time something like that happened.
12-06-2015 01:36 AM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry

But as far as stacking up against Charleston, Myrtle Beach, The Beaufort / Hilton Head area, Savannah, Jekyll Island/Sea Island, Fernandina Beach, Orange Park/Mandarin, St. Augustine, Charlotte, Chattanooga and Raleigh/Durham no it is not a happening place, but still far from a dump. BTW there is no sprawl like Jacksonville sprawl.

In the summertime it's absolutely miserable with mid to upper 90's, matching humidity and hordes of gnats and mosquitoes. Gangs have taken over Five Points, the Main St revitalization has been an absolute joke, and you can't find any parking in The Vista. You don't have anywhere near the nightlife of Greenville or Charleston, nor anywhere near the historic, cultural attractions or cuisine of Charleston. The only difference between Columbia and Spartanburg is about 15 degrees and 10% humidity in the summer and the University of South Carolina.
12-06-2015 01:44 AM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(12-06-2015 01:44 AM)Kaplony Wrote:  
(12-06-2015 12:54 AM)nzmorange Wrote:  the SEC has deeper pockets and more prestige. Also, from a quality of life standpoint, South Carolina is really, really nice - albeit, I hear Columbia is a dump.

In the summertime it's absolutely miserable with mid to upper 90's, matching humidity and hordes of gnats and mosquitoes. Gangs have taken over Five Points, the Main St revitalization has been an absolute joke, and you can't find any parking in The Vista. You don't have anywhere near the nightlife of Greenville or Charleston, nor anywhere near the historic, cultural attractions or cuisine of Charleston. The only difference between Columbia and Spartanburg is about 15 degrees and 10% humidity in the summer and the University of South Carolina.

Well I haven't been there in about a decade, but once traveled it regularly. I like Greenville, but love the coast. I was just saying that compared to many cities in the Southeast it is far from a dump (or at least used to be).
12-06-2015 02:11 AM
ClemVegas Offline
Banned

Columbia is a nice town, it has some rough looking areas like West Columbia but the Vista and 5 points has as good a nightlife as anywhere else.

there are a lot of Clemson 'rednecks' who get all worked up about Columbia but that is just b/c USC is there.

I find parking in the Vista to not be an issue, much better situation than Charleston or Greenvile.
(This post was last modified: 12-06-2015 02:17 AM by ClemVegas.)
12-06-2015 02:16 AM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
New rumor is that South Carolina will name Muschamp their new head coach.

Quote:Pete Thamel
‏@SIPeteThamel

Update on Muschamp to South Carolina. Source says there's an "agreement in principle" in place for Will to be next coach there.

10:47 PM - 5 Dec 2015
12-06-2015 02:16 AM
ClemVegas Offline
Banned

Muschamp is a decent hire. he has some energy and you need that to recruit these days.

he got screwed over at Florida, he could have had the same season or better with Florida this year as the new coach did. lol good defense,no offense. got to have a godo QB
(This post was last modified: 12-06-2015 02:19 AM by ClemVegas.)
12-06-2015 02:18 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.