Great hire if true.
12-02-2015 07:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
RE: Dennis Dodd is reporting Richt to Miami
(12-02-2015 07:02 PM)_C2_ Wrote:  Great hire if true.

ESPN is also. McMurphy and others.
12-02-2015 07:10 PM
vandiver49 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USNA/UTK
Dennis Dodd is reporting Richt to Miami
How would this hire be different from Randy Shannon?
12-02-2015 07:19 PM
Advertisement

C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
It's a lot different. Shannon wasn't proven. In turn, it's a fair assessment to say Richt was given a raw deal and is an elite coach.
12-02-2015 07:30 PM
hawghiggs Offline
All American

I Root For: Arkansas
(12-02-2015 07:30 PM)_C2_ Wrote:  It's a lot different. Shannon wasn't proven. In turn, it's a fair assessment to say Richt was given a raw deal and is an elite coach.

He's a solid coach for sure. But he wasn't given a raw deal. Georgia gave him a shot to be a head coach and for 15 season allowed him to run the bulldog program. It was just time for them to give someone else an opportunity to run the program.
12-02-2015 10:18 PM
Advertisement

C2__ Offline
Caltex2

Right, I'm just saying it was fair to say he got a raw deal.
12-02-2015 10:22 PM
Rabbit_in_Red Offline
Banned

I Root For: Louisville, ACC
Richt's a good coach and a great hire in Miami. That being said, after 15 years I think it was time for Georgia to try and move in a new direction. There's nothing wrong with that IMO, but they'd better be careful of what they wish for because otherwise they may have just full on Fulmer'd themselves like Tennessee did. Tennessee is really just now getting back on level ground after letting go of Fulmer, who was successful.
12-03-2015 06:09 AM
Advertisement

Soobahk40050 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tennessee
(12-03-2015 06:09 AM)Rabbit_in_Red Wrote:  Richt's a good coach and a great hire in Miami. That being said, after 15 years I think it was time for Georgia to try and move in a new direction. There's nothing wrong with that IMO, but they'd better be careful of what they wish for because otherwise they may have just full on Fulmer'd themselves like Tennessee did. Tennessee is really just now getting back on level ground after letting go of Fulmer, who was successful.

As much as I hate to say it, I don't know that tennesse's problem was firing fulmer. Kiffin was our problem. If he had stayed? Who knows.... And kiffin leaving led to Dooley.
12-03-2015 07:06 AM
vandiver49 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USNA/UTK
(12-03-2015 07:06 AM)Soobahk40050 Wrote:  
(12-03-2015 06:09 AM)Rabbit_in_Red Wrote:  Richt's a good coach and a great hire in Miami. That being said, after 15 years I think it was time for Georgia to try and move in a new direction. There's nothing wrong with that IMO, but they'd better be careful of what they wish for because otherwise they may have just full on Fulmer'd themselves like Tennessee did. Tennessee is really just now getting back on level ground after letting go of Fulmer, who was successful.

As much as I hate to say it, I don't know that tennesse's problem was firing fulmer. Kiffin was our problem. If he had stayed? Who knows.... And kiffin leaving led to Dooley.

I think Fulmer had overstayed his welcome as in effect he and Summit were the real AD's on campus. That last 7-5 season was simply an excuse to move him out. But I think that you're correct that had Kiffin stayed things might have worked out for UT. The team seemed to be moving in the right direction.
12-03-2015 08:05 AM
Advertisement

C2__ Offline
Caltex2

Which is why you have to be careful in wanting to push out a successful coach even if he doesn't have you losing 2 games or less every season.

And you wonder why coaches like Art Briles are willing to take on thugs/rapists just to try and win or the amount of players Mack Brown coached that had a criminal record. People at some players lose their mind if you don't win every game.
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2015 08:58 PM by C2__.)
12-03-2015 08:52 AM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
(12-02-2015 10:18 PM)hawghiggs Wrote:  
(12-02-2015 07:30 PM)_C2_ Wrote:  It's a lot different. Shannon wasn't proven. In turn, it's a fair assessment to say Richt was given a raw deal and is an elite coach.

He's a solid coach for sure. But he wasn't given a raw deal. Georgia gave him a shot to be a head coach and for 15 season allowed him to run the bulldog program. It was just time for them to give someone else an opportunity to run the program.

I think this was simply a case of "its not working out".

Richt had success at Georgia, that's why he lasted 15 years (which is an eternity in FBS). But he never really got to the level of success that gets a coach effective 'tenure'. No national championships, two SEC championships. But he hasn't had a SEC championship in 10 years, and only won the SEC East 3 of the last ten years (and zero for the last 3).

Georgia didn't say Richt was a bad coach, just that he wasn't getting Georgia where their alumni want to be. And after 15 years, it was getting harder to justify watching Georgia fall (in their alumni's eyes) to the level of parity with South Carolina and Missouri.
12-03-2015 12:01 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.