Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT - MTSU to get own Board of Regents
Bookmark and Share
BeliefBlazer Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: UAB

DonatorsDonators
OT - MTSU to get own Board of Regents
Plan is to give Memphis, MTSU, and others their own Boards, taking them out from under the UT Board of Regents. http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/gov...60871.html
12-01-2015 11:11 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Ole Blue Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Good Guys
RE: OT - MTSU to get own Board of Regents
Wow. Didn't think this would ever happen. Hope it's a positive for us.
12-01-2015 12:09 PM
stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
(12-01-2015 12:09 PM)Ole Blue Wrote:  Wow. Didn't think this would ever happen. Hope it's a positive for us.

XACLY! WOW!

I don't see how that can be a bad thing.....whatever it takes to control one's affairs can only be a good thing moving forward....assuming one hires competent people (that's always an issue)

I can see Old Tiger grabbing his chest and feigning ala Redd Foxx right now 03-wink
(This post was last modified: 12-01-2015 12:30 PM by stinkfist.)
12-01-2015 12:29 PM
ThreeifbyLightning Online
Heisman

I Root For: Univ of Middle Tennessee
(12-01-2015 11:11 AM)BeliefBlazer Wrote:  Plan is to give Memphis, MTSU, and others their own Boards, taking them out from under the UT Board of Regents. http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/gov...60871.html

We are not under the UT Board.

Only UTK, UTC and UT Martin are part of the UT board.

MT, Memphis, TSU, etc., all fall under the Tennessee Board of Regents (TBR) which has oversight from the Tennessee Higher Education Commission.

The UT system is completely separate from the TBR, but the UT system regardless exerts an immense amount of pressure on the TBR even though UT has nothing to do with it.

This is a huge break for us though I'm sure the state will still figure out ways to bend us over.
12-01-2015 12:52 PM
Ole Blue Offline
Hall of Famer

We will have lots of possibilities now with our own Board of Regents... huge development.

Beer in Floyd Stadium, new schools of law/medicine possible?, name change can't be stopped (ideally) by the outside elites, etc...
12-01-2015 12:56 PM
MUHERD76 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall Thundering Herd
Re: RE: OT - MTSU to get own Board of Regents
(12-01-2015 12:56 PM)Ole Blue Wrote:  We will have lots of possibilities now with our own Board of Regents... huge development.

Beer in Floyd Stadium, new schools of law/medicine possible?, name change can't be stopped (ideally) by the outside elites, etc...

I always thought the "University at Middle Tennessee" would be a good name change. Has a nice sound to it.
12-01-2015 01:07 PM
Advertisement

SpaceRaider Offline
All American

I Root For: MiddleTennessee
(12-01-2015 12:52 PM)ThreeifbyLightning Wrote:  
(12-01-2015 11:11 AM)BeliefBlazer Wrote:  Plan is to give Memphis, MTSU, and others their own Boards, taking them out from under the UT Board of Regents. http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/gov...60871.html

We are not under the UT Board.

Only UTK, UTC and UT Martin are part of the UT board.

MT, Memphis, TSU, etc., all fall under the Tennessee Board of Regents (TBR) which has oversight from the Tennessee Higher Education Commission.

The UT system is completely separate from the TBR, but the UT system regardless exerts an immense amount of pressure on the TBR even though UT has nothing to do with it.

This is a huge break for us though I'm sure the state will still figure out ways to bend us over.

IMO, this move was not done for the benefit of MT, though it may ultimately be good. Remains to be seen. This was the way to give Memphis what they've wanted without a lot of political backlash from the various other interests represented by the TBR.

Just hope an MT board is not filled with the governor's utk cronies or political supporters. Need a board filled with MT alums that do not spend their money and time on weekends in knoxville.
(This post was last modified: 12-01-2015 01:13 PM by SpaceRaider.)
12-01-2015 01:12 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MTowho Offline
1st String

(12-01-2015 01:07 PM)MUHERD76 Wrote:  I always thought the "University at Middle Tennessee" would be a good name change. Has a nice sound to it.

So does basically anyone that cares about MT in any capacity. Check that - "University of Middle Tennessee"

You want to talk about a can of worms.....
(This post was last modified: 12-01-2015 01:29 PM by MTowho.)
12-01-2015 01:25 PM
Blue Raider Dave Offline
1st String

I Root For: Middle Tenn
(12-01-2015 01:07 PM)MUHERD76 Wrote:  
(12-01-2015 12:56 PM)Ole Blue Wrote:  We will have lots of possibilities now with our own Board of Regents... huge development.

I always thought the "University at Middle Tennessee" would be a good name change. Has a nice sound to it.

That very name is what many of us have wanted for a very long time. Hopefully this announcement can get us a step closer.
12-01-2015 01:30 PM
MTowho Offline
1st String

As Space said, this certainly wasn't done to 'help' us, but could end up being absolutely huge. The three big things that jump out in my mind are...

1. Name Change to THE UNIVERSITY OF MIDDLE TENNESSEE (please, please)
2. New professional programs (law school, medical school, etc)
2. Beer sales in Murphy Center/Floyd Stadium (will help offset COA, new facilities, etc)
(This post was last modified: 12-01-2015 01:37 PM by MTowho.)
12-01-2015 01:36 PM
wh49er Offline
All American

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
Wish we could pull this off, then we be able to change the name to the University of Charlotte and start a medical school.
12-01-2015 01:53 PM
Advertisement

Ole Blue Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-01-2015 01:36 PM)MTowho Wrote:  As Space said, this certainly wasn't done to 'help' us, but could end up being absolutely huge. The three big things that jump out in my mind are...

1. Name Change to THE UNIVERSITY OF MIDDLE TENNESSEE (please, please)
2. New professional programs (law school, medical school, etc)
2. Beer sales in Murphy Center/Floyd Stadium (will help offset COA, new facilities, etc)

I would love all of these things. I can't wait to see what happens. And I would love some beer at the Murph for b-ball games.
12-01-2015 01:59 PM
TOPSTRAIGHT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WKU
Sounds good--but also seems like some MT folks aren't so sure.Will we just have to see how the politics play out(?) or is this a big win?
12-01-2015 02:47 PM
MTowho Offline
1st String

(12-01-2015 02:47 PM)TOPSTRAIGHT Wrote:  Sounds good--but also seems like some MT folks aren't so sure.Will we just have to see how the politics play out(?) or is this a big win?

Yeah, it's a wait and see. We've always been **** on because we don't have the political power. It's one of those things that seems too good to be true. It'll be interesting.
12-01-2015 02:52 PM
SpaceRaider Offline
All American

(12-01-2015 02:47 PM)TOPSTRAIGHT Wrote:  Sounds good--but also seems like some MT folks aren't so sure.Will we just have to see how the politics play out(?) or is this a big win?

A little leary of this because of the politics. When the government does anything, it usually screws the pooch. One of my concerns is the budgets if we're one of many going against the ut board vs the tbr against the utk board.

I posed this question on the gomiddle board "...if we had had a separate board back at the time when the utk president was campaigning bumping his capital bldg requests in front of MT's long delayed Science Building which was at the top of the list, would MT still be waiting for funding...." I think I know the answer.
12-01-2015 03:00 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
FAUAEPi Offline
1st String

I Root For: FAU
Keeping my fingers crossed that this ends up in Middle's favor. Good luck Raiders!
12-01-2015 05:53 PM
Advertisement

stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
(12-01-2015 05:53 PM)FAUAEPi Wrote:  Keeping my fingers crossed that this ends up in Middle's favor. Good luck Raiders!

I alluded to that in my original post....the MT fellers obviously feel the same way....

politics and football should never mix company.....it's unfortunate.....but we all know what the outcome could be if the maneuver is handled like manure....
12-01-2015 05:57 PM
FAUAEPi Offline
1st String

I Root For: FAU
(12-01-2015 05:57 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  
(12-01-2015 05:53 PM)FAUAEPi Wrote:  Keeping my fingers crossed that this ends up in Middle's favor. Good luck Raiders!

I alluded to that in my original post....the MT fellers obviously feel the same way....

politics and football should never mix company.....it's unfortunate.....but we all know what the outcome could be if the maneuver is handled like manure....

Something that some of our CUSA friends are all too familiar with.
12-01-2015 05:58 PM
BlueRaiderBoy Offline
All American

I Root For: MTSU
Having a combined Board of Regents for all of the universities (other than UT) has never been our real problem. The real problem has always been that members of the Board of Regents have almost always consisted of individuals who graduated from UT, Vanderbilt, TSU, APSU, TN Tech, Memphis State, UTC, UTM, or anywhere other than MTSU! It is high time that folks who give a damn about MT govern MT!
12-01-2015 09:46 PM
Ole Blue Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-01-2015 09:46 PM)BlueRaiderBoy Wrote:  Having a combined Board of Regents for all of the universities (other than UT) has never been our real problem. The real problem has always been that members of the Board of Regents have almost always consisted of individuals who graduated from UT, Vanderbilt, TSU, APSU, TN Tech, Memphis State, UTC, UTM, or anywhere other than MTSU! It is high time that folks who give a damn about MT govern MT!

This.
12-01-2015 10:39 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.