Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

WHERE will the 5-7 teams be bowling?
Okie Chippewa Offline
All American

I Root For: The MAC
WHERE will the 5-7 teams be bowling?
It appears APR will be used to determine which 5-7 teams get to go bowling. Presumably the 5-7 school with the highest APR will get to decide if they wish to play in the post-season, then the next highest, etc., until there are no more vacancies.

But one major question remains:

Which bowls will be the ones making the picks? Certainly there will be some squabbles. For instance, "I'll take 5-7 Nebraska and you can have 7-5 Central Michigan", or "Why do I have to take 5-7 Rice when I can have 8-4 South Florida?".

Who in the heck has the authority to establish some guidelines and what are they going to be? College football certainly had to know that some day teams with losing records would have to be used to fill out the bowl lineups. Where's the rubrick?
11-30-2015 02:14 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Zombiewoof Offline
1st String

I Root For: players
RE: WHERE will the 5-7 teams be bowling?
The OMG is this embarrassing Bowl and the How the Hell are we going to sell tickets to this Bowl.
11-30-2015 02:17 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
(11-30-2015 02:17 PM)Zombiewoof Wrote:  The OMG is this embarrassing Bowl and the How the Hell are we going to sell tickets to this Bowl.

Most of the lower bowls don't survive on ticket sales...plus they'll extort the invited schools to guarantee 7k tix at list prices.

#MadeForTV
11-30-2015 02:21 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
I bet we hear of some 5-7 teams declining spots.
11-30-2015 02:22 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
(11-30-2015 02:22 PM)stever20 Wrote:  I bet we hear of some 5-7 teams declining spots.

...but 15 extra practices are enticing...maybe the schools undergoing a regime change.
11-30-2015 02:26 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
Just guessing here:

Seems likely that they would use 5-7 teams first to fill their own conference's unused bowl slots if there are any. E.g., Nebraska is at the top of the APR list among 5-7 teams and will probably fill one of the Big Ten's bowl slots.

After that, they'll probably try and place 5-7 teams as close to home as possible because their fans won't want to travel far for a 5-7 team. There might also be some politicking from teams who don't want to be matched up against a 5-7 opponent, e.g., an 8-4 team might resent having a 5-7 bowl opponent, so the bowls might try to match remaining 5-7 teams against 6-6 opponents.
11-30-2015 02:30 PM
ohio1317 Offline

I Root For: Ohio State
(11-30-2015 02:30 PM)Wedge Wrote:  Just guessing here:

Seems likely that they would use 5-7 teams first to fill their own conference's unused bowl slots if there are any. E.g., Nebraska is at the top of the APR list among 5-7 teams and will probably fill one of the Big Ten's bowl slots.

After that, they'll probably try and place 5-7 teams as close to home as possible because their fans won't want to travel far for a 5-7 team. There might also be some politicking from teams who don't want to be matched up against a 5-7 opponent, e.g., an 8-4 team might resent having a 5-7 bowl opponent, so the bowls might try to match remaining 5-7 teams against 6-6 opponents.

That's my understanding too. They allow how ever many 5-7 teams to go to bowls as they need before bowl invites go out and will along the normal bowl procedures after that. Nebraska will go to one of the lower tier Big Ten bowl slots, etc.
11-30-2015 03:10 PM
Advertisement

miztigers55 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Mizzou, SLU, BC
Mizzou won't be going to a bowl at 5-7. They want to focus on the coaching search.
11-30-2015 06:12 PM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
(11-30-2015 06:12 PM)miztigers55 Wrote:  Mizzou won't be going to a bowl at 5-7. They want to focus on the coaching search.

Mizzou sets the standard and saves face for not be embarrassed by the public of sending a 5-7 team to a bowl. (Coaching search or not)
Who is the next school to save face?

Which bowl is going to get embarrassed by the public for taking a 5-7 team?
(This post was last modified: 11-30-2015 06:25 PM by MWC Tex.)
11-30-2015 06:17 PM
Advertisement

Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
(11-30-2015 06:17 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  
(11-30-2015 06:12 PM)miztigers55 Wrote:  Mizzou won't be going to a bowl at 5-7. They want to focus on the coaching search.

Mizzou sets the standard and saves face for not be embarrassed by the public of sending a 5-7 team to a bowl. (Coaching search or not)

Who is the next school to save face?

K-State, IMO, is the only other team that might say no if they finish 5-7. Nebraska ought to say no, out of historical pride, but the first-year coaching staff probably would like to take advantage of the extra practice time and game experience. Same for the interim-until-very-recently head coaches at Minnesota and Illinois. San Jose State and Rice are G5 teams that probably would be happy to take any extra opportunities they can get, no matter what anyone thinks of 5-7 bowl teams.
11-30-2015 06:46 PM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
1 likely in orlando. cure bowl
11-30-2015 06:53 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.