RE: Press Conference Today
Perhaps Candle staying on as HC?
11-29-2015 03:47 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MidnightBlueGold Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TOL-EDO
$10 says it is just to announce that MC is gone, Heacock is interim HC, and a national search is underway.
11-29-2015 03:47 PM
BarsemaBone2 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU, White Sox
(11-29-2015 03:47 PM)BobL Wrote:  Perhaps Candle staying on as HC?

Doubtful if they've already named Heacock interim HC.
11-29-2015 03:48 PM
TampaRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
I'm thinking he's just addressing the media to confirm that Campbell bailed, who is stepping in as interim HC and that a national search is underway.
11-29-2015 03:49 PM
Advertisement

TampaRocket Offline
Heisman

(11-29-2015 03:47 PM)MidnightBlueGold Wrote:  $10 says it is just to announce that MC is gone, Heacock is interim HC, and a national search is underway.

Geez...I just typed the same thing...Great Minds! 04-cheers
11-29-2015 03:49 PM
BobL Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU
(11-29-2015 03:48 PM)BarsemaBone2 Wrote:  

Had not heard that
11-29-2015 03:50 PM
BarsemaBone2 Offline
All American

(11-29-2015 03:50 PM)BobL Wrote:  
(11-29-2015 03:48 PM)BarsemaBone2 Wrote:  

Had not heard that

Yeah, they named him this morning I believe, so it's different than what happened with Carey in 2012.

My assumption is Candle's going to ISU with Campbell since they already named someone else interim HC.
11-29-2015 03:51 PM
cnyrocketfan Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo
I'm assuming the news conference is being shown online by UT, but does anybody know for sure? I didn't see it mentioned on the UT site, though I just took a quick look and that was a few minutes ago.
11-29-2015 04:03 PM
T-Town Offline
All American

I Root For:
(11-29-2015 03:47 PM)MidnightBlueGold Wrote:  $10 says it is just to announce that MC is gone, Heacock is interim HC, and a national search is underway.

Personally I would like for him to announce Candle as the new coach and indicate that Candle is already at work putting together his staff and is also contacting all of the 2016 UT recruits to assure them that nothing has changed with regards to their place within the program. However, I think that you are probably 100% correct that nothing will be revealed that we don't already know.

As I recall when Beckman left, MOB named Campbell interim coach immediately and then named him head coach a few days later. Heacock has head coach experience so maybe MOB is following the same scenario, but I don't know enough about Heacock to be sold on him at this point and one previous post raised possible concerns about his relationship with the players.
11-29-2015 04:06 PM
Advertisement

rocketpaul Offline
1st String

(11-29-2015 04:03 PM)cnyrocketfan Wrote:  I'm assuming the news conference is being shown online by UT, but does anybody know for sure? I didn't see it mentioned on the UT site, though I just took a quick look and that was a few minutes ago.
if there is a press conference will they show it on the internet?
11-29-2015 04:09 PM
bcunn3128 Away
Heisman

I Root For: U of Toledo
(11-29-2015 04:06 PM)T-Town Wrote:  

Personally I would like for him to announce Candle as the new coach and indicate that Candle is already at work putting together his staff and is also contacting all of the 2016 UT recruits to assure them that nothing has changed with regards to their place within the program. However, I think that you are probably 100% correct that nothing will be revealed that we don't already know.

As I recall when Beckman left, MOB named Campbell interim coach immediately and then named him head coach a few days later. Heacock has head coach experience so maybe MOB is following the same scenario, but I don't know enough about Heacock to be sold on him at this point and one previous post raised possible concerns about his relationship with the players.

Not a huge Heacock fan myself. D was certain improved--no question. But it was lacking something in both the Northern and Western losses. If it has to come down to either he or Candle, and those are our choices, I'll take Candle.

Pure speculation here, but I'm guessing that Heacock either doesn't want the job or has been told he won't be the choice, and that Candle may want it, and this time around O'Brien is doing a "search" of sorts. That way Heacock is interim and Candle can go to Iowa State and still be a candidate for this job.
11-29-2015 04:21 PM
BarsemaBone2 Offline
All American

(11-29-2015 04:21 PM)bcunn3128 Wrote:  

Not a huge Heacock fan myself. D was certain improved--no question. But it was lacking something in both the Northern and Western losses. If it has to come down to either he or Candle, and those are our choices, I'll take Candle.

Pure speculation here, but I'm guessing that Heacock either doesn't want the job or has been told he won't be the choice, and that Candle may want it, and this time around O'Brien is doing a "search" of sorts. That way Heacock is interim and Candle can go to Iowa State and still be a candidate for this job.

I don't see that being the case.

Why would O'Brien announce one coordinator as the interim head coach only to announce later on that the other one will be the permanent head coach going forward? Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

This is based off of what happened when Kill and Doeren left NIU, but if Candle wasn't named interim head coach, then I would doubt he stays at all, or is even a candidate for the HC position at this time.

When Kill left NIU in 2010, they named the linebacker's coach as interim head coach. Very soon after, it was announced that both coordinators were following Kill to Minnesota. Seems likely this is what will happen with Candle since Heacock was named interim HC instead.

My guess would be that in the next few days, or even hours, you'll have an announcement from ISU saying which assistants Campbell will bring with him to Ames. Those that are not announced as going, are likely to remain a part of the future staff.
11-29-2015 04:32 PM
MotoRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
not sure I'd want to keep the guys on that Campbell doesn't want to take with him. When Pinkel left, he took all but a couple if I am correct. One was Dave Walkowsky who I believe has been out of coaching for quite awhile. Not sure why he didn't go to Mizzou - maybe he was offered and turned it down. Don't know. Not sure who else did not follow him to Mizzou. Amstutz went, then got hired at Toledo. I thought there was another guy that Mizzou wanted to keep from the prior staff.

I would say Candle and Manning go for sure - Mt. Union buddies. Not sure about others.
11-29-2015 04:39 PM
T-Town Offline
All American

I Root For:
(11-29-2015 04:32 PM)BarsemaBone2 Wrote:  
(11-29-2015 04:21 PM)bcunn3128 Wrote:  

I don't see that being the case.

Why would O'Brien announce one coordinator as the interim head coach only to announce later on that the other one will be the permanent head coach going forward? Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

This is based off of what happened when Kill and Doeren left NIU, but if Candle wasn't named interim head coach, then I would doubt he stays at all, or is even a candidate for the HC position at this time.

When Kill left NIU in 2010, they named the linebacker's coach as interim head coach. Very soon after, it was announced that both coordinators were following Kill to Minnesota. Seems likely this is what will happen with Candle since Heacock was named interim HC instead.

My guess would be that in the next few days, or even hours, you'll have an announcement from ISU saying which assistants Campbell will bring with him to Ames. Those that are not announced as going, are likely to remain a part of the future staff.

I suspect that you are probably right except I would expect that any new outside hide would be given the opportunity of naming his own staff and not required to necessarily retain those that Campbell might decline to carry with him, although MOB may have made some future commitment to Heacock as a condition for accepting the interim appointment.
11-29-2015 04:42 PM
Advertisement

BarsemaBone2 Offline
All American

(11-29-2015 04:39 PM)MotoRocket Wrote:  not sure I'd want to keep the guys on that Campbell doesn't want to take with him. When Pinkel left, he took all but a couple if I am correct. One was Dave Walkowsky who I believe has been out of coaching for quite awhile. Not sure why he didn't go to Mizzou - maybe he was offered and turned it down. Don't know. Not sure who else did not follow him to Mizzou. Amstutz went, then got hired at Toledo. I thought there was another guy that Mizzou wanted to keep from the prior staff.

I would say Candle and Manning go for sure - Mt. Union buddies. Not sure about others.

Don't assume that someone is not a good coach if the previous HC doesn't take them with when they move on.

When Doeren left NIU for NC State, he only took a few assistants with him, and neither of the coordinators. Granted, that might've had to do with the fact that one of the coordinators (Carey) was named head coach in his place, but I would not dismiss assistants outright just because the old head coach doesn't want to take them with.

It might in fact be a gesture by Campbell to say that he doesn't want to leave the entire cupboard barren by leaving. I know that sounds bad, but it's a possibility to consider.
11-29-2015 04:49 PM
cnyrocketfan Offline
Legend

(11-29-2015 04:09 PM)rocketpaul Wrote:  
(11-29-2015 04:03 PM)cnyrocketfan Wrote:  I'm assuming the news conference is being shown online by UT, but does anybody know for sure? I didn't see it mentioned on the UT site, though I just took a quick look and that was a few minutes ago.
if there is a press conference will they show it on the internet?

No mention of a news conference on RocketVision that I can see (I don't know where else it would be shown) and there's a tweet that says the news conference is scheduled for 5 Eastern but that's all it says.
11-29-2015 05:01 PM
MidnightBlueGold Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TOL-EDO
11-29-2015 05:04 PM
cnyrocketfan Offline
Legend

Great. Thanks!!!!!
11-29-2015 05:05 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.