Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ESPN picked up on Bob's speech
RiceOwl53 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Rice Owls
ESPN picked up on Bob's speech
Maybe this is the real perception of the program outside of this board?

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_...ame-speech
11-29-2015 01:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

WIowl Offline
All American

I Root For:
New Orleans Bowl
RE: ESPN picked up on Bob's speech
(11-29-2015 01:08 PM)RiceOwl53 Wrote:  Maybe this is the real perception of the program outside of this board?

Maybe because they have his record wrong?

"The Owls are 70-68 since Bailiff took over". EDIT: Should be 53-60

It's great that the players love their coach, but that doesn't mean the school retains Bailiff solely because of it.
(This post was last modified: 11-29-2015 01:18 PM by WIowl.)
11-29-2015 01:12 PM
RiceOwl53 Offline
2nd String

(11-29-2015 01:12 PM)WIowl Wrote:  
(11-29-2015 01:08 PM)RiceOwl53 Wrote:  Maybe this is the real perception of the program outside of this board?

It's great that the players love their coach, but that doesn't mean the school retains Bailiff solely because of it.

Then front the money to buyout. We all know the school doesn't really care about athletics. And I'm interested to see the REALISTIC suggestions for replacement that would do any better.
11-29-2015 01:33 PM
ETx Owl Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Bring in a 3 million dollar coach and doubt if much would change except folks would say he was overpaid and students say it is too much and takes away focus from academics.
11-29-2015 02:12 PM
cr11owl Offline
All American

I Root For: Rice
(11-29-2015 01:33 PM)RiceOwl53 Wrote:  

Then front the money to buyout. We all know the school doesn't really care about athletics. And I'm interested to see the REALISTIC suggestions for replacement that would do any better.

+1
11-29-2015 02:13 PM
westsidewolf1989 Offline
Heisman

Great video. Testament to Bailiff's character and personal impact on our players.
11-29-2015 02:17 PM
Advertisement

Barney Offline
All American

(11-29-2015 02:13 PM)cr11owl Wrote:  

+1

+2. As many have already said in different ways, our problems are far larger than just DB.
11-29-2015 02:17 PM
Bailiff_Lingo_Bingo Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Rice U
Posted this elsewhere, but Luke was on the front page of Reddit (top 10 most visited sites in the world):
https://www.reddit.com/r/videos/comments...ch_during/
11-29-2015 02:19 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl

I really don't know what options are realistic. If he's as prudent as I think he is, I'm guessing JK has some feel for that. Don't abandon Plan A until you have at least some idea what Plan B is. I don't think DB can do better than .500 over the long haul against CUSA. Maybe we can get basketball to the level where it and baseball make us attractive to an upgrade conference. May football has to contribute more than a .500 record to get it done. I really don't know, nor at this point do I expect that anyone does.
11-29-2015 02:21 PM
ETx Owl Offline
1st String

I Root For:
If you would want to really make an impact, bring in Bobs dad as OC. He is head coach at Gilmer, but has been the brains of that outfit for years and is looked upon better (recruiting asset) than the guy who went to horns.
11-29-2015 02:23 PM
Volente Beach Owl Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(11-29-2015 01:33 PM)RiceOwl53 Wrote:  Then front the money to buyout. We all know the school doesn't really care about athletics. And I'm interested to see the REALISTIC suggestions for replacement that would do any better.

Are you aware that yesterday a Rice football game was played in front of a completely empty stadium? When I read your post about a replacement "doing better" than Bailiff, how is it even possible to do worse than a losing record against one of America's weakest schedules and playing in front of an empty stadium?

For the "front the money" brigade, are you suggesting that we do nothing? Our program is descending into completely irrelevance, if it's not already there. Ridiculously easy schedules over the past several years have masked the descent and tricked those who don't follow the program closely into thinking that the team was improving. Meanwhile, our crosstown rival hired our former offensive coordinator and is thriving. So don't tell me that it's impossible to find a coach who can do better than Bailiff -- because we had one on our staff already.
11-29-2015 02:58 PM
Advertisement

Rick Gerlach Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
The Parliament AwardsCrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
(11-29-2015 02:58 PM)Volente Beach Owl Wrote:  
(11-29-2015 01:33 PM)RiceOwl53 Wrote:  Then front the money to buyout. We all know the school doesn't really care about athletics. And I'm interested to see the REALISTIC suggestions for replacement that would do any better.

Are you aware that yesterday a Rice football game was played in front of a completely empty stadium? When I read your post about a replacement "doing better" than Bailiff, how is it even possible to do worse than a losing record against one of America's weakest schedules and playing in front of an empty stadium?

For the "front the money" brigade, are you suggesting that we do nothing? Our program is descending into completely irrelevance, if it's not already there. Ridiculously easy schedules over the past several years have masked the descent and tricked those who don't follow the program closely into thinking that the team was improving. Meanwhile, our crosstown rival hired our former offensive coordinator and is thriving. So don't tell me that it's impossible to find a coach who can do better than Bailiff -- because we had one on our staff already.

It was a lousy crowd, very small, but it was not completely empty. The pictures posted on this site were from the Stadium Club in the upper deck looking down at the East side.

There were fans on the lower west side who came out to support the Owls. I was there, with my son and a friend of his. Not many fans given the record of the opponent, the weather, the holiday weekend. It was a bad crowd, no doubt, but not completely empty.
11-29-2015 03:16 PM
AnotherOldOwl Offline
2nd String

(11-29-2015 02:58 PM)Volente Beach Owl Wrote:  Are you aware that yesterday a Rice football game was played in front of a completely empty stadium? When I read your post about a replacement "doing better" than Bailiff, how is it even possible to do worse than a losing record against one of America's weakest schedules and playing in front of an empty stadium?

Much has been made about the attendance at yesterday's game, well I was there so the stadium wasn't "completely empty". I would estimate the crowd at 3-5K, which is certainly not much in HRS. It was a cold, rainy day on the Saturday of Thanksgiving weekend for a meaningless game between two not very good teams. To make the low attendance some kind of vote on interest in Rice football is, I believe, disingenuous. I have a vague memory of a Rice-Baylor game in the late '60s played under the same circumstances (in Waco, I believe) that set a SWC record for low attendance (<1k?). No one suggested that game was anything other than what it was - poorly attended due to the circumstances.
11-29-2015 03:17 PM
RiceFootball2K5 Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Are you aware that yesterday a Rice football game was played in front of a completely empty stadium, on a tv channel that no one gets, against a team ranked 127 of 128 D1 teams, in a game that had no bearing whatsoever on who wins our division of our terrible conference, and we played to a scoreless tie at halftime? When I read your post about a replacement "doing better" than Bailiff, how is it even possible to do worse than a losing record against one of America's weakest schedules and playing in front of an empty stadium?

FIFY
11-29-2015 03:32 PM
Orange County Owl Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice/Bradley/Iowa

New Orleans Bowl
(11-29-2015 03:16 PM)Rick Gerlach Wrote:  It was a lousy crowd, very small, but it was not completely empty. The pictures posted on this site were from the Stadium Club in the upper deck looking down at the East side.

There were fans on the lower west side who came out to support the Owls. I was there, with my son and a friend of his. Not many fans given the record of the opponent, the weather, the holiday weekend. It was a bad crowd, no doubt, but not completely empty.

It's posts like this that make me realize that we're not even talking the same language here.
(This post was last modified: 11-29-2015 04:01 PM by Orange County Owl.)
11-29-2015 03:43 PM
RiceOwl53 Offline
2nd String

(11-29-2015 03:32 PM)RiceFootball2K5 Wrote:  

Are you aware that yesterday a Rice football game was played in front of a completely empty stadium, on a tv channel that no one gets, against a team ranked 127 of 128 D1 teams, in a game that had no bearing whatsoever on who wins our division of our terrible conference, and we played to a scoreless tie at halftime? When I read your post about a replacement "doing better" than Bailiff, how is it even possible to do worse than a losing record against one of America's weakest schedules and playing in front of an empty stadium?

FIFY

I got the station. Maybe upgrade your sports package?

Also, thank you for saying my teammates and I were part of a descent of a football program and what we did doesn't really matter.

By the way, I wonder why he left Rice? Oh wait, because he wasn't getting paid. He moved on to a place that would pay him for his skill. It's not that difficult of a concept. You get what you pay for. Get the school to pump money into the salaries of the coaches, then talk to me. Otherwise you'll get more of the same. Guys sticking around towards the end of their career or bright minds moving on because they can get paid better elsewhere.
11-29-2015 03:50 PM
Advertisement

WIowl Offline
All American

I Root For:
New Orleans Bowl
(11-29-2015 03:43 PM)Orange County Owl Wrote:  
(11-29-2015 03:16 PM)Rick Gerlach Wrote:  It was a lousy crowd, very small, but it was not completely empty. The pictures posted on this site were from the Stadium Club in the upper deck looking down at the East side.

It's posts like this that make realize that we're not even talking the same language here.
Exactly.
One person there and Rick can say, it wasn't completely empty.
11-29-2015 03:58 PM
ETx Owl Offline
1st String

I Root For:
I got the station, on mid range cable. Tyler paper actually had our score printed this morning as well.
11-29-2015 04:03 PM
Rick Gerlach Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
The Parliament AwardsCrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
(11-29-2015 03:43 PM)Orange County Owl Wrote:  

It's posts like this that make me realize that we're not even talking the same language here.

AnotherOldOwl read the post that same as I. He and I were both there.

I have no problem with anyone saying it was a very bad turnout.

To some of us, 'completely empty' means completely empty. I've never understood the need to use hyperbole and exaggeration, particularly when:

1. It might be assumed to be literally true by someone who wasn't at the game.

2. When there were a number of fans at the game, who are rendered completely inconsequential, non-existent by the hyperbole. The people who showed up deserve some credit under the conditions.

3. Stating the truth in more accurate terms gets the point across just as well.

Say it was a lousy crowd. Say that only Rice diehards would be foolish enough to attend the game given the circumstances. Add the qualifier - - "Figuratively speaking only, . . . . ."
11-29-2015 04:32 PM
Antarius Offline
Say no to cronyism

VBO- the answer is yes. They want us to sit back and do nothing. its the easier option.

Meh. There are better things to spend time on. MBB for starters.
11-29-2015 04:47 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.