GoodOwl Offline
The 1 Hoo Knocks

I Root For: New Horizons
Rice vs Charloote Postgame Thread: FB
Final home game of this 2015 football season. Here's your theme:

Artist: Ollie Olsen
EP: Whirlywirld
Track: "Win/Lose"
February 1980 Missing Link Records/ re-recorded by Ollie Olsen in 1986 Chase Records Aus

11-28-2015 10:23 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Antarius Offline
Say no to cronyism

I Root For: Rice
RE: Rice vs Charloote Postgame Thread: FB
Thank god this season is over.

After calling for Bailiffs head for 6 odd years, its been a long and tiresome journey. Sadly, what I expected when we hired him and for the last six years has come true, and our program is now as or more irrelevant than we were a decade ago. Combined with the CFB landscape moving and UH seeming to rise to some semblance of relevance, this might be the fateful death by a thousand cuts.

next year will likely be as bad or worse with major turnover with several seniors and our QB (with no picked or practiced replacement).

I am tired. Bailiff and his mediocre football and bandwagon have beaten me down. So so tired.
(This post was last modified: 11-28-2015 10:30 PM by Antarius.)
11-28-2015 10:29 PM
Wiessman Away
All American

(11-28-2015 10:29 PM)Antarius Wrote:  I am tired. Bailiff and his mediocre football and bandwagon have beaten me down. So so tired.

The point's been made. Either something will be done or it won't; either way, JK has to know that there is some serious dissatisfaction out there.

Time to turn our attention to other more inspiring sports. There is still a lot of good happening in athletics at Rice.
11-28-2015 10:43 PM
greyowl72 Offline
Heisman

The game, ultimately, was seized by the Owls in the second half. And I was glad about that. Great for the team and especially the Seniors.

Disappointed in the season. I definitely feel we regressed from the Texas game onward. It seemed like we never had any coherence on either side of the ball. Just sorta sleep-walking.
In general, after the game in Austin, we seemed poorly prepared and intermittently clueless. We've had those spells in the past and righted the ship. Not this year.

I'm not as emotionally involved in dumping Bailiff as some posters here are. I think it's reasonable to call an end to the Bailiff era at this point. I'd like us to find a coach like Memphis or Western Kentucky has.

But I trust Dr K. There's a lot going on with his decision, I imagine. Most of which is not known by the Parliament. If we get a new coach it will be great. But I won't get my hopes up. He will have his work cut out for him. But I'll be behind him 100%. If Bailiff's back it won't be the end of the world for me. I'll still try to go to as many games as possible and support my team, regardless.
11-28-2015 10:50 PM
Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards

I'm surprised you didn't pick Good Charlotte for this week's video.
11-28-2015 11:17 PM
loki_the_bubba Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice Owls
I keep refreshing this thread hoping for coaching change news. I'm pathetic.
11-28-2015 11:19 PM
Advertisement

Volente Beach Owl Offline
1st String

I Root For:
I have never seen a stadium completely empty like I saw today. It was totally empty -- a sign of complete irrelevance for the program. We need a fresh start and a new energy -- there is no way to do worse than a completely empty stadium, so we have nothing to lose here.

Karlgaard has to be concerned that his work as AD, and his career's upward ascent, is at MAJOR RISK by doing nothing.
11-28-2015 11:26 PM
GoodOwl Offline
The 1 Hoo Knocks

I Root For: New Horizons
(11-28-2015 11:26 PM)Volente Beach Owl Wrote:  I have never seen a stadium completely empty like I saw today. It was totally empty -- a sign of complete irrelevance for the program. We need a fresh start and a new energy -- there is no way to do worse than a completely empty stadium, so we have nothing to lose here.

Karlgaard has to be concerned that his work as AD, and his career's upward ascent, is at MAJOR RISK by doing nothing.

There's always the hope of Monday:

...but I'm not holding my breath. I predict it likely "those ones will be on him" (my quotes) in 2016 and 2017...and 2018..and 2019...wonder how Bailiff will fare when we play Boise State?
11-28-2015 11:30 PM
WRCisforgotten79 Offline
Hall of Famer

Michelle Phillips at 22.

04-jawdrop
11-28-2015 11:38 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ranger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: SOF/Owl Basebal
(11-28-2015 11:26 PM)Volente Beach Owl Wrote:  I have never seen a stadium completely empty like I saw today. It was totally empty -- a sign of complete irrelevance for the program. We need a fresh start and a new energy -- there is no way to do worse than a completely empty stadium, so we have nothing to lose here.

Well stated. I think energy is the key. It seems to me that Rhoades has it, DB doesn't..
11-28-2015 11:53 PM
SaintsOwl Offline
2nd String

We are so irrelevant that I just watched Channel 2 news(Sports) segment. No mention of Rice Owls football. Sam Houston State mentioned, High school football. But no Rice. Joe Kaarlgard you are on the clock
11-29-2015 12:00 AM
Advertisement

FresnoTXOwl Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: rice
(11-28-2015 10:29 PM)Antarius Wrote:  Thank god this season is over.

After calling for Bailiffs head for 6 odd years, its been a long and tiresome journey. Sadly, what I expected when we hired him and for the last six years has come true, and our program is now as or more irrelevant than we were a decade ago. Combined with the CFB landscape moving and UH seeming to rise to some semblance of relevance, this might be the fateful death by a thousand cuts.

next year will likely be as bad or worse with major turnover with several seniors and our QB (with no picked or practiced replacement).

I am tired. Bailiff and his mediocre football and bandwagon have beaten me down. So so tired.

Get over yourself already. I want Bailiff gone, but we won a conference title two years ago and made bowl games the last 3 years. Stop acting like David Bailiff ruined your life for six years. He deserves to be gone now, but your hyperbole is more tiresome than Bailiff himself.
11-29-2015 12:04 AM
Antarius Offline
Say no to cronyism

(11-29-2015 12:04 AM)FresnoTXOwl Wrote:  

Get over yourself already. I want Bailiff gone, but we won a conference title two years ago and made bowl games the last 3 years. Stop acting like David Bailiff ruined your life for six years. He deserves to be gone now, but your hyperbole is more tiresome than Bailiff himself.

No one cares about those. That was clear from the empty stadium today and Zero press coverage.

The last 6 years has been a slow continuous slide into further irrelevance. And your citing of bowl games as a counter example shows how insidious and subtle the slide was.

Point is, I'm tired. Not sure this much investment in something this misguided is worth it anymore. If you knew me personally, you'd see how much exactly this slide has infuriated me - since you don't, I guess it's easier to call it hyperbole. Bailiff has caused far too many wrecked Saturday's over the last 6 years - guess shame on me for still coming back to see it happen every time.

I doubt you'll be hearing any more hyperbole next year. At least from me.
(This post was last modified: 11-29-2015 12:26 AM by Antarius.)
11-29-2015 12:17 AM
RiceOwl53 Offline
2nd String

(11-29-2015 12:17 AM)Antarius Wrote:  

No one cares about those. That was clear from the empty stadium today and Zero press coverage.

The last 6 years has been a slow continuous slide into further irrelevance. And your citing of bowl games as a counter example shows how insidious and subtle the slide was.

Point is, I'm tired. Not sure this much investment in something this misguided is worth it anymore

So you're saying my career at Rice was pointless, no...detrimental to the football program? Maybe I should have gone somewhere else that would appreciate a bowl win and a conference championship in back to back years. Good God...yes this season was awful and there needs to be changes. But going to three straight bowl games and winning conference in 3 years isn't a downgrade.

If you got your way and Bailiff was gone tomorrow would you rather say to prospects "we haven't been to a bowl game since 2008 and haven't won conference in God knows how long" or that we had a down year but have a recent history of making bowl games and even a conference championship in our back pocket. C'mon man.
11-29-2015 12:22 AM
Antarius Offline
Say no to cronyism

(11-29-2015 12:22 AM)RiceOwl53 Wrote:  

Point is, I'm tired. Not sure this much investment in something this misguided is worth it anymore

So you're saying my career at Rice was pointless, no...detrimental to the football program? Maybe I should have gone somewhere else that would appreciate a bowl win and a conference championship in back to back years. Good God...yes this season was awful and there needs to be changes. But going to three straight bowl games and winning conference in 3 years isn't a downgrade.

If you got your way and Bailiff was gone tomorrow would you rather say to prospects "we haven't been to a bowl game since 2008 and haven't won conference in God knows how long" or that we had a down year but have a recent history of making bowl games and even a conference championship in our back pocket. C'mon man.

Don't worry about it. gone down this road too many times before. And whether Bailiff stays or goes at this point is irrelevant to me - either way works.

What I want or don't want hasn't isn't and won't be relevant. Maybe the empty stadium today might hammer the point home. Maybe not. Either way - more seats for the few to enjoy 2016.
(This post was last modified: 11-29-2015 12:34 AM by Antarius.)
11-29-2015 12:30 AM
RiceOwl53 Offline
2nd String

(11-29-2015 12:30 AM)Antarius Wrote:  

Don't worry about it. gone down this road too many times before.

What I want or don't want hasn't isn't and won't be relevant. Maybe the empty stadium today might hammer the point home. Maybe not. Either way - more seats for the few to enjoy 2016.

No, I will worry about it. Calling my playing days a slide into irrelevance is enraging. Maybe if we hadn't accomplished anything I could understand. I gave my blood, sweat, and body for the football team. My two years at Rice we won a bowl game and won conference. We had votes for the Top 25 after the conference championship. If Rice had gone 8-4 this year and won a bowl you wouldn't be saying this crap.

Now I see why recent grads don't post on here. We aren't respected and anything we accomplish is a subtle slide into irrelavance.
11-29-2015 12:40 AM
Advertisement

InterestedX Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Oxford
53, don't sweat it. Your efforts were very much appreciated by Rice fans.
11-29-2015 12:45 AM
Buho00 Offline
1st String

I Root For:

03-lmfao

I don't think he's made the program less relevant. NFL Sundays are full of Rice mentions these days, or at least it's common to see Rice players contributing, most of them Bailiff recruits. 3-1 record in bowl games, it is what it is. A conference title. A new facility being built. I complained about DB to a friend of mine today and he said he thought Bailiff was the best coach Rice has ever had. Minor bowl appearances do matter. But what he's accomplished doesn't change that he didn't do a good job this season. It's fair to say that this was a re-building year, considering we're the youngest team out there, but Rice should be at the point where even our freshmen should beat UTSA or compete with La Tech. Now I fear a slump of a couple of seasons, if we don't find a QB. Unless we hire a big name or an exciting young coach who stays many years at Rice, I wouldn't expect a big impact in attendance. DB didn't put us in C-USA, but he isn't a coach who can get us out either, apparently. We'll see what JK decides, I'd be surprised if he's not retained. At this point, I'd be surprised if we made a bowl game next season. So I expect a new coach in the near future anyway, just not for next season.

Some frustrating patterns in this game. This entire season our offense has sputtered and the run game has regressed. Jowan had his best drive of the season in our final score. Driphus was never healthy enough to be a true dual-threat, but the scheme limited him to being less dynamic than he could be. On the other hand, today we saw some success from the option, finally. And the defense showed some potential. Overall, Driphus had a good career at Rice, so did Luke Turner. We'll be better next season. Our 31 freshmen will be bigger and for the most part, better. Our senior class will be bigger IIRC, and better than this one. Hope some kind of change is made, even if it's a new scheme, or new assistants.
11-29-2015 12:46 AM
Antarius Offline
Say no to cronyism

Rice owl 53- if you think 8-4 and a bowl changes the big picture of where we are and where we need to be, you missed my point completely. The problem is so much deeper than wins and losses and being in one of 80 bowl games.

And this has nothing to do with what you did as a player - the problem is levels above that.For example, if someone called the final year of Enron a corporate shitshow - that doesn't mean that everyone working at Enron was complicit in the demise or didn't work hard. It just means the Top and a handful of those with influence drove the ship aground.

You and others are welcome to post all you want going forward. My days of dissent are over. Several others like me Seem to be at this point too. So enjoy the dissent free zone or whatever it becomes.

Maybe some day you'll see that fans are Being driven away and interest in the program is declining; unless young alums step up we will have none left in a few decades. Or maybe not - but I can tell you this season and the last several with Bailiff and no end in sight has lost a handful of young alums and we may lose more fans. You can either tell me why we are horrible fans or whatever or listen and see that people genuinely don't care. Your pick - either works for me

Good luck and Godspeed.
(This post was last modified: 11-29-2015 12:58 AM by Antarius.)
11-29-2015 12:48 AM
wiessguy Offline
1st String

I Root For: Da Owls

Owl53, I think the frustration is more of where the program has lapsed since the SWC and not necessarily what you and your team mates accomplished during your time, which is tremendous. The problems here are far larger than Bailiff, and JK will need to make changes to address the bigger issues - regardless of whether or not Bailiff stays.

First, more needs to be done to reach out and engage alumni (both former players and non players). There are lots of former players in all sports within easy driving distance and they never come to games - even though they can get in free. Add to that a good deal of local alumni that don't come to games and you get an empty HRS. Rice knows who these people are and more targeted engagement with this core of potential fans needs to happen.

Second, someone needs to figure out how to get more students into the stands. I've chatted with younger alumni who never went to a football game in their 4 years at Rice. This astounded me. If we can't get students to be interested, we won't have engaged alumni. I know the athletic dept understands this, but we need to solve this problem.
11-29-2015 12:50 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.