Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Matt C. Buyout clause?
Bookmark and Share
thetachihuskie Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Matt C. Buyout clause?
I have heard Matt C.'s buyout clause is only $200,00. Is this true, it seems really low?
11-28-2015 09:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Rocketdamus Offline
2nd String

I Root For: the Rockets....
RE: Matt C. Buyout clause?
(11-28-2015 09:00 PM)thetachihuskie Wrote:  I have heard Matt C.'s buyout clause is only $200,00. Is this true, it seems really low?

That's the story. Not sure what a buyout clause really accomplish for a Toledo. It's not going to stop a deal from happening.
11-28-2015 09:10 PM
The Frisky Biscuit Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Death
To have a high buyout clause, you'd had to have to have a high salary too. Otherwise why would the coach agree to it?
11-28-2015 09:17 PM
T-Town Offline
All American

I Root For:
The way I see it is that these buyout clauses are not going to deter the BIG BOYS from hiring your coach, but if they are willing to pay your coach a salary of $2-4 million per year on a multi-year contract they not likely to quibble very much about also having to pay a one time buyout penalty of $1 million and thus soften the blow of losing the coach a bit.
11-28-2015 09:33 PM
Advertisement

eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo
Many board complaints on that very topic when the contract was made public. Not sure the reasoning from the AD's office but if a MAC school is basically nothing more than a way station, time to consider creating coaches for the next level a profit making position.
11-28-2015 09:43 PM
MidnightBlueGold Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TOL-EDO
UT must not be very good at getting buyout clauses. Coach Cullop has NO buyout clause (yes, NO BUYOUT).
11-28-2015 10:01 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

Might be O'Brien finds them cheesy. I can see that perspective too.
11-28-2015 10:14 PM
Advertisement

falconplucker Offline
1st String

Buyout clauses, especially at this level are cheesy. Do you really want to penalize rising coaches with a petty buyout clause? All you will end up with is old has beens.
11-28-2015 10:35 PM
RustonCAT Offline
1st String

I Root For: stAte/Latech
(11-28-2015 10:35 PM)falconplucker Wrote:  Buyout clauses, especially at this level are cheesy. Do you really want to penalize rising coaches with a petty buyout clause? All you will end up with is old has beens.

Not really look at Arkansas states last 5 coaches..all had decent buyouts and all have moved to bigger gigs really. Andersons buyout us 3 Million. Then 2 million after year 3
(This post was last modified: 11-29-2015 12:02 AM by RustonCAT.)
11-29-2015 12:01 AM
BusDriver Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
Buyout clauses keep the coach from job hopping on a whim. They served a good purpose. Any P5 school will pay the buyout on the coach's behalf. UT needs to keep utilizing buyout clauses. This makes it hard for a P5 school to take your coach away for an OC or DC position as well.
11-29-2015 12:02 AM
Advertisement

T-Town Offline
All American

I Root For:
(11-28-2015 10:35 PM)falconplucker Wrote:  Buyout clauses, especially at this level are cheesy. Do you really want to penalize rising coaches with a petty buyout clause? All you will end up with is old has beens.

A contract protects the employee with a buyout if he is fired prematurely while under contract in order to hire a better coach so why not a buyout penalty clause to protect the employer's interests as well in the case of the coach quits prematurely to take a better job? What exactly is cheesy about having the rights of both parties protected? How is that penalizing some poor impoverished rising coach who was given the chance to become a rising coach by his current employer? I wouldn't call it a penalty, I would call it a debt of gratitude.
(This post was last modified: 11-29-2015 12:12 AM by T-Town.)
11-29-2015 12:05 AM
MidnightBlueGold Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TOL-EDO
(11-29-2015 12:05 AM)T-Town Wrote:  

A contract protects the employee with a buyout if he is fired so why no a buyout penalty clause to protect the employer? What exactly is cheesy about having the rights of both parties protected?

Yep. I bet if UT fired MC without cause, he would be owed his entire base salary (or close to it) of what his left on his contract. But if he leaves early, he owes not even half of 1 years salary. That gives the coach everything, without UT taking anything.
(This post was last modified: 11-29-2015 12:08 AM by MidnightBlueGold.)
11-29-2015 12:07 AM
falconplucker Offline
1st String

(11-29-2015 12:05 AM)T-Town Wrote:  

A contract protects the employee with a buyout if he is fired prematurely while under contract in order to hire a better coach so why not a buyout penalty clause to protect the employer's interests as well in the case of the coach quits prematurely to take a better job? What exactly is cheesy about having the rights of both parties protected? How is that penalizing some poor impoverished rising coach who was given the chance to become a rising coach by his current employer? I wouldn't call it a penalty, I would call it a debt of gratitude.

A poor impoverished rising coach making 6 figures?
11-29-2015 12:34 AM
RocketJeff Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
(11-29-2015 12:01 AM)RustonCAT Wrote:  

Not really look at Arkansas states last 5 coaches..all had decent buyouts and all have moved to bigger gigs really. Andersons buyout us 3 Million. Then 2 million after year 3

Wow, 3 Million Dollar bars? Not sure we even get a Snickers.
11-29-2015 04:09 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.