Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Gentrification: Yay or nay?
Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

I Root For: Miami, MACtion
Gentrification: Yay or nay?
What do you think? Is it necessary for urban revitalization or is it unfair economic eviction against the poor?
11-28-2015 05:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

dfarr Offline
Murse Practitioner

I Root For: UAB
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
RE: Gentrification: Yay or nay?
If people want to start fixing up old houses in crappy neighborhoods, more power to them.
11-28-2015 05:18 PM
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

I Root For: The Underdog
Depends on what we consider gentrification. If you make the property more desirable than people with more money will move in.
11-28-2015 05:18 PM
wahoowa Offline
All American

I Root For:
DonatorsDonators
(11-28-2015 05:08 PM)Love and Honor Wrote:  What do you think? Is it necessary for urban revitalization or is it unfair economic eviction against the poor?

You have a point. We should just let everything go the way of Detroit instead of letting free market investment unfairly evict the poor. Let blight do it instead.

By the way, who are you going to tax when no one is there?
11-28-2015 06:12 PM
CameramanJ Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ODU
I have mixed feelings about gentrification. On one hand, I am intrigued by the restoration/renovation/redevelopment of downtrodden urban and suburban areas. I like to see broken things fixed, old things restored with modern care, and new blood injected into places where things are stagnant. I find locales like Detroit fascinating and ripe with opportunity.

But here's the thing: Money. Improving properties on a large scale raises property tax rates, rents, cost of living, etc. The new blood can afford the flat cost and the recurring ones after in taxes, cost of living, etc. Unless certain controls are put in place, existing residents (impoverished or not) often cannot. They get priced out and they have to move somewhere else. Displacement.

I'm not saying that its the duty of gentrifying forces to solve poverty. Business is business. Gentrification primarily solves one problem: "These properties aren't generating enough revenue."
11-28-2015 06:37 PM
Advertisement

Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

I Root For: Miami, MACtion
(11-28-2015 06:12 PM)wahoowa Wrote:  
(11-28-2015 05:08 PM)Love and Honor Wrote:  What do you think? Is it necessary for urban revitalization or is it unfair economic eviction against the poor?

You have a point. We should just let everything go the way of Detroit instead of letting free market investment unfairly evict the poor. Let blight do it instead.

By the way, who are you going to tax when no one is there?

Lol at you assuming I am against it.

My opinion on the matter: Gentrification occurs because a significant amount of a region's population, primarily young professionals, find value in moving into the urban areas. It could be because of increased employment opportunities there or just because they want to be cool hipsters living outside the perceived conformity of suburbia, but regardless of that there is an underlying cause for the increased demand. That all being said, I think there really isn't any way to quell that demand in an economically healthy fashion. Rent control? One of the most destructive, counterproductive economic ideas in all of urban planning. Restrictions on sharing services like Airbnb? It just shifts the demand for housing elsewhere. So while there are drawbacks to gentrification I don't think there's much of a way to stop it, so letting the market decide things is probably the best course of action (as it almost always is).

But you can make the neighborhood transitions a lot smoother in a couple of ways. I don't have a problem with landlords 'driving out' long-standing tenants because the economic forces surrounding them make it financially illogical to maintain the status quo. I have a problem with landlords refusing to take care of their tenants as legally required by their leases, cities doubling down on rent ceilings, housing construction moratoriums, and overly restrictive building codes. I'm looking at you San Francisco.
11-28-2015 11:32 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(11-28-2015 05:18 PM)dfarr Wrote:  If people want to start fixing up old houses in crappy neighborhoods, more power to them.

Its natural. Every area can't just decay forever.

Neighborhoods change. They are nice, decline, decline some more and eventually have gentrification while the areas that displaced them as nice areas start to decline.

As best as I can tell, my neighborhood in Atlanta, which is about 100 years old, while never really significantly decaying, has been through about 3 cycles. Millionaires lived there at first, but it declined as newer areas were built and the mansions rotted or got subdivided into apartments. In the 50s it recovered with new families, but they aged and it hit bottom in the 90s. But then it recovered again with new families.
11-28-2015 11:53 PM
Hitch Offline
1st String

I Root For: Maryland
I own my home here in DC so I love it.
11-29-2015 09:13 AM
EverRespect Online
Free Kaplony

I'm not sure I understand this thread. Would you ban white people from purchasing real estate in minority occupied neighborhoods? Or take race out of it and put income restraints on residing in neighborhoods? Not sure why we should try to "do something" to stop it and how that would be legal.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
11-29-2015 09:59 AM
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

(11-29-2015 09:59 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  I'm not sure I understand this thread. Would you ban white people from purchasing real estate in minority occupied neighborhoods? Or take race out of it and put income restraints on residing in neighborhoods? Not sure why we should try to "do something" to stop it and how that would be legal.

Actually the way to stop gentrification would be to not allow gays to own homes.04-cheers

They seem to lead the way on most of these revitalizing neighborhoods.
11-29-2015 01:37 PM
EverRespect Online
Free Kaplony

My point is you can't stop people from buying property and doing what they want with it within the zoning. Rich, blacks, whites, gays, trannies... all have the same rights to purchase a given property for whatever the seller is willing to sell it for.

11-29-2015 02:41 PM
wahoowa Offline
All American

I Root For:
DonatorsDonators
(11-29-2015 02:41 PM)EverRespect Wrote:  My point is you can't stop people from buying property and doing what they want with it within the zoning. Rich, blacks, whites, gays, trannies... all have the same rights to purchase a given property for whatever the seller is willing to sell it for.

Maybe you missed the Executive Order to force diversity into neighborhoods.

<< Click It >>
11-29-2015 04:18 PM
fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
big time yay. Just toured the old Cherry neighborhood in Charlotte this past weekend. Love seeing the old ghetto homes torn down for much nicer dwellings.
12-01-2015 12:03 AM
Advertisement

vandiver49 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USNA/UTK
(11-28-2015 11:53 PM)bullet Wrote:  
(11-28-2015 05:18 PM)dfarr Wrote:  If people want to start fixing up old houses in crappy neighborhoods, more power to them.

Its natural. Every area can't just decay forever.

Neighborhoods change. They are nice, decline, decline some more and eventually have gentrification while the areas that displaced them as nice areas start to decline.

As best as I can tell, my neighborhood in Atlanta, which is about 100 years old, while never really significantly decaying, has been through about 3 cycles. Millionaires lived there at first, but it declined as newer areas were built and the mansions rotted or got subdivided into apartments. In the 50s it recovered with new families, but they aged and it hit bottom in the 90s. But then it recovered again with new families.

You pretty much described my old neighborhood in East Atlanta. The flaw many people see with gentrification is the displacement. But that is done by choice of the city and the current residents. The city could easily leave the property taxes the same for those that don't want to sell and on fixed income. But many do indeed sell because all they are looking at are the dollar signs.

Were I grew up wasn't that far from East Lake Meadows. Now people are walking their dogs at 2AM. That is gentrification at work.
12-01-2015 07:01 AM
miko33 Offline
Defender of Honesty and Integrity

I Root For: Alma Mater
I'm actually not overly familiar with the term 'gentrification' because I never lived in an area where it actually happened. I always lived in good areas. At first my assumption was that gentrification went hand in hand with eminent domain laws to clean up blight. However, I'm guessing this is actually more of a market oriented approach? Especially if it occurs via a market based mechanism, it's a wonderful thing. This is how you reverse "white flight" - or I would more accurately call "class flight" (where I'm using class for financial position only).
12-01-2015 09:38 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

Houston has had a pretty clear general pattern. Inner city areas declined and areas between Loop 610 and what is now Beltway 8 (Houston's 2nd loop) became the place to be in the 60s and 70s. But then those areas generally declined and people moved into the Beltway 8 to Highway 6/1960 areas in the 80s and 90s while the inner city areas, especially around Loop 610 started to "gentrify."

Now the areas around Loop 610 have gotten expensive and inner city areas like the Heights, 4th Ward, East End and 3rd Ward are starting to "gentrify," while areas in the 610 to Beltway 8 area are starting to get re-invigorated-Westbury, Oak Forest, Inwood Forest to name a few. The area from Beltway 8 to Highway 6/1960 is declining. New homes are being built beyond Highway 6/1960 out to Houston's 3rd Loop, the Grand Parkway.

There's a natural progression in most neighborhoods. Its new and families move in. They age. Kids move out. New families look for newer housing. Eventually the elderly move out and a lower income group tends to move in. At some point, younger people/families come in and start to renovate the aging housing and gentrification starts.
12-01-2015 09:55 AM
shiftyeagle Offline
Deus Vult

I Root For: Southern Miss
(12-01-2015 09:38 AM)miko33 Wrote:  I'm actually not overly familiar with the term 'gentrification' because I never lived in an area where it actually happened. I always lived in good areas. At first my assumption was that gentrification went hand in hand with eminent domain laws to clean up blight. However, I'm guessing this is actually more of a market oriented approach? Especially if it occurs via a market based mechanism, it's a wonderful thing. This is how you reverse "white flight" - or I would more accurately call "class flight" (where I'm using class for financial position only).

This. Let people with money clean up the shitholes that were destroyed by the leaches and make them desirable again.
12-01-2015 09:59 AM
tigertom Offline
"Illegitimus Non Tatum Carborundum"

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Donators
(12-01-2015 09:55 AM)bullet Wrote:  Houston has had a pretty clear general pattern. Inner city areas declined and areas between Loop 610 and what is now Beltway 8 (Houston's 2nd loop) became the place to be in the 60s and 70s. But then those areas generally declined and people moved into the Beltway 8 to Highway 6/1960 areas in the 80s and 90s while the inner city areas, especially around Loop 610 started to "gentrify."

Now the areas around Loop 610 have gotten expensive and inner city areas like the Heights, 4th Ward, East End and 3rd Ward are starting to "gentrify," while areas in the 610 to Beltway 8 area are starting to get re-invigorated-Westbury, Oak Forest, Inwood Forest to name a few. The area from Beltway 8 to Highway 6/1960 is declining. New homes are being built beyond Highway 6/1960 out to Houston's 3rd Loop, the Grand Parkway.

There's a natural progression in most neighborhoods. Its new and families move in. They age. Kids move out. New families look for newer housing. Eventually the elderly move out and a lower income group tends to move in. At some point, younger people/families come in and start to renovate the aging housing and gentrification starts.
If you want to see funny directions, take a look at Seattle's Bullitt Building.

http://www.seattletimes.com/business/rea...een-goals/

This is one of the funniest things I've seen or read about. Fits Seattle well. No parking, no water flushing toilets and on and on . There's lot to see on this project. When it first came about , there were people of all kinds making fun of it , in Seattle and elsewhere.

READ THE COMMENTS AFTER THE ARTICLE. http://www.seattletimes.com/business/rea...een-goals/
12-01-2015 11:35 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.