Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Battle of I-75 - Name Change?
Bookmark and Share
Redwingtom Offline
Progressive filth

I Root For: B-G-S-U !!!!
I think we discussed this last year and I thought you guys also agreed that this name is absolutely horrible...as well as having a dumb looking trophy.

Anyway...in discussing whether a rematch in the MACC would also count as a game for this trophy...we thought a name change was in order.

One idea that several BG folks liked a lot was something on the lines of "Battle for the Black Swamp"

Although trophy ideas may be tough with a name like that.

Thoughts?

Good luck today!
11-27-2015 11:59 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

pono Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
RE: Battle of I-75 - Name Change?
Battle of the peace pipe
11-27-2015 01:56 PM
emanoh Offline
All American

I Root For:
No issues with battle of I-75 moniker. If we win a few more they should rename it the Toledo trophy.
11-27-2015 02:02 PM
RangerRocket Offline
Rangers Lead The Way

I Root For: Toledo Rockets

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
Did someone mention this trophy?
11-27-2015 02:05 PM
MidnightBlueGold Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TOL-EDO
Why do people not like the "Battle of I-75"? That is 100x better than the "Peace Pipe"
11-27-2015 04:09 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo
(11-27-2015 04:09 PM)MidnightBlueGold Wrote:  Why do people not like the "Battle of I-75"? That is 100x better than the "Peace Pipe"

Things like this are generally organic, rising out of the situation. This one was made up by trying too hard to find some middle ground and chose something no one cares the schools have in common. It's so bad, no one seems to want to take credit for making it up. No one wants to take responsibility. Hey Nana, we're going to rename the UT-BG rivalry game and make up a really dumb trophy for it, what do you want to call it?

There's not even a reason to name it but even the war of 25 would have made more sense, if someone were intent on naming it after a road.

If something is special, it's named after someone or something that is special, not a highway. If they were going to make this name special, then it would result in the state designating that portion of the highway in the name of the winning school. Best just to leave it to history and stop trying to create a marketing situation until something organic comes up. Someone needs to lose that trophy.
11-27-2015 04:40 PM
Advertisement

falconplucker Offline
1st String

Why? I like the battle of I-75. The Battle of the Black Swamp sounds like a bunch of colonial re-enactors, selling crappy pottery and iron works at that stupid festival in the BG. Maybe BG needs to concentrate on winning the trophy first.
11-27-2015 04:49 PM
owen Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ham sandwich
I like BGSU's chances to win a MACC trophy.
And i'll bet it will take away some of the sting of never getting their hand's on the fancy new Battle of I-75 trophy.
11-27-2015 04:52 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-27-2015 04:49 PM)falconplucker Wrote:  Why? I like the battle of I-75. The Battle of the Black Swamp sounds like a bunch of colonial re-enactors, selling crappy pottery and iron works at that stupid festival in the BG. Maybe BG needs to concentrate on winning the trophy first.

You said why you didn't like BofBS (which I kind of agree with) but you didn't say why you DO like Battle of I-75? What's the attraction to you because I certainly can't come up with a reason to like it. I think "battle" of anything sounds kind of weak but that's just taste, no reasoning against it.

If I were really going to try and manufacture a name for a competition, I'd at least look for something that captured the emotion of it, competing ideologies, something deeper than a road.
11-27-2015 05:13 PM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
Can't be more than a dozen D1 programs within a few miles of 75. I'm sure UT-BG is the first one in everyone's mind when they hear about a trophy for the "Battle".
11-27-2015 05:17 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-27-2015 05:17 PM)H2Oville Rocket Wrote:  Can't be more than a dozen D1 programs within a few miles of 75. I'm sure UT-BG is the first one in everyone's mind when they hear about a trophy for the "Battle".

I doubt UT-BG is in much of anyone's mind beyond NWO, let alone I-75. Certainly they have something more importantly in common than a road created several decades AFTER the rivalry? Even limiting the "name" of this local rivalry to something "in common" is limiting.

What you're referring to as "being in mind" seems to me to be something, a word or something that someone could say and everyone would know immediately they were referring to "the game," without so obviously saying it. These are the things that make memorable names, things organically derived. In 50 years of watching UT-BG match-ups, knowing people and athletes at both schools, before this manufactured effort I never once heard it referred to as having anything to do with the interstate. It was always just the UT-BG game. If there's any UT-BG connection to a road, it would be 25 and the bootleggers that traveled that road or just the path south. But that had no connection to the Universities and most of Toledo doesn't know BG anymore than Rossford.
11-27-2015 05:48 PM
Advertisement

indianasniff Offline
All American

(11-27-2015 11:59 AM)Redwingtom Wrote:  I think we discussed this last year and I thought you guys also agreed that this name is absolutely horrible...as well as having a dumb looking trophy.

Anyway...in discussing whether a rematch in the MACC would also count as a game for this trophy...we thought a name change was in order.

One idea that several BG folks liked a lot was something on the lines of "Battle for the Black Swamp"

Although trophy ideas may be tough with a name like that.

Thoughts?

Good luck today!

Plus 1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
11-27-2015 06:34 PM
indianasniff Offline
All American

I75
Length: 1,786.47 mi
Let's list division one football programs along I 75
Toledo
BG
U Cincinnati
U Kentucky (Lexington)
U Tennessee (Knoxville)
Georgia Tech (Atlanta)
South Florida (Tampa)

The 50 odd miles between UT and BG are hardly representative of the Interstate

Both schools uniquely reside in the old Black Swamp

Bring back the peace pipe or pick something unique to the region

11-27-2015 06:45 PM
San Giuseppe Jato Rocket Offline
1st String

I Root For: il Rockets
Interstate 75 is sterile and wholly unimaginative.

Black swamp is better.
11-27-2015 06:54 PM
crusher38 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: USC and Toledo
should have never been changed from the peace pipe.
11-27-2015 07:11 PM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

(11-27-2015 05:48 PM)eastisbest Wrote:  
(11-27-2015 05:17 PM)H2Oville Rocket Wrote:  Can't be more than a dozen D1 programs within a few miles of 75. I'm sure UT-BG is the first one in everyone's mind when they hear about a trophy for the "Battle".

I doubt UT-BG is in much of anyone's mind beyond NWO, let alone I-75. Certainly they have something more importantly in common than a road created several decades AFTER the rivalry? Even limiting the "name" of this local rivalry to something "in common" is limiting.

What you're referring to as "being in mind" seems to me to be something, a word or something that someone could say and everyone would know immediately they were referring to "the game," without so obviously saying it. These are the things that make memorable names, things organically derived. In 50 years of watching UT-BG match-ups, knowing people and athletes at both schools, before this manufactured effort I never once heard it referred to as having anything to do with the interstate. It was always just the UT-BG game. If there's any UT-BG connection to a road, it would be 25 and the bootleggers that traveled that road or just the path south. But that had no connection to the Universities and most of Toledo doesn't know BG anymore than Rossford.

Well, yes, that's my point. South Florida and Miami could just as easily call their game Battle of I75, and a lot more people recognize those programs and their location.
11-27-2015 07:28 PM
Advertisement

eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

Any idea who came up with the name?
11-27-2015 08:56 PM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I blame Ranger.
11-27-2015 09:24 PM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

(11-27-2015 06:45 PM)indianasniff Wrote:  I75
Toledo
BG
U Cincinnati
U Kentucky (Lexington)
U Tennessee (Knoxville)
Georgia Tech (Atlanta)
South Florida (Tampa)

Did they move BG down to Findlay? But, yeah, add Miami and you have 56 possible combos, I think.
11-27-2015 09:27 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-27-2015 09:27 PM)H2Oville Rocket Wrote:  
(11-27-2015 06:45 PM)indianasniff Wrote:  I75
Toledo
BG
U Cincinnati
U Kentucky (Lexington)
U Tennessee (Knoxville)
Georgia Tech (Atlanta)
South Florida (Tampa)

Did they move BG down to Findlay? But, yeah, add Miami and you have 56 possible combos, I think.

From Showgirls in the north to the last house trailer in BG, it could be 50 miles?

Maybe we can call the Miami game the Battle for the I-75 trophy? They still on the schedule?
11-27-2015 09:38 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.