Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Concerns about Odom taking over
Bookmark and Share
Bathtub Gin Offline
All American

I Root For: Free Market
Concerns about Odom taking over
Obviously our defense will improve but it seems to me that defensive minded head coaches are slowly fading away. The reason why is offenses now are so dynamic and quarterback development is so vital which gives you the best chance to win games. Not only that, this team was built for offense, I would be really pissed if some defensive head coach came in and tried to install some pro style offense that won't work. Sorry for the rant but does anyone else feel this way?
11-24-2015 11:21 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Titans3775 Offline
All American

I Root For: Nuclear Power
RE: Concerns about Odom taking over
(11-24-2015 11:21 AM)Bathtub Gin Wrote:  Obviously our defense will improve but it seems to me that defensive minded head coaches are slowly fading away. The reason why is offenses now are so dynamic and quarterback development is so vital which gives you the best chance to win games. Not only that, this team was built for offense, I would be really pissed if some defensive head coach came in and tried to install some pro style offense that won't work. Sorry for the rant but does anyone else feel this way?

After sitting through this season of Galen, I would gladly take an Odom/Dickey pair.
11-24-2015 11:22 AM
mairving Offline
Ignant Homer

I Root For: Memphis
(11-24-2015 11:21 AM)Bathtub Gin Wrote:  Obviously our defense will improve but it seems to me that defensive minded head coaches are slowly fading away. The reason why is offenses now are so dynamic and quarterback development is so vital which gives you the best chance to win games. Not only that, this team was built for offense, I would be really pissed if some defensive head coach came in and tried to install some pro style offense that won't work. Sorry for the rant but does anyone else feel this way?

Unless Odum hires Gray Avenger as his OC I think we will be good. Not sure though if Missouri is going to hire him first.
11-24-2015 11:22 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TiminMem23 Offline
All American

If Mizzou passes on Odom, maybe he is willing to come to Memphis to prove a point.
11-24-2015 11:24 AM
Tigers2B1 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Take Odom... in a heartbeat. 04-bow
EdmondTiger Offline
Special Teams

Stoops and Patterson are two defensive minded coaches doing OK. The key is a good offensive coordinator that the head coach trust. The key will be does the next coach have the resources and contacts to put together a quality staff.
Advertisement

bubbapt Offline
Uh, what?

Donators

I agree, sort of. Defense is the luxury of the elite schools, who can coax three-deep linebacker corps to attend their university. TCU, Oregon, and Boise St. all made it big by cultivating offenses.

On the other hand, you don't win bowl games (or national championships) unless your defense is solid. The big question would be if Odom brings an offensive coordinator.
11-24-2015 11:26 AM
mairving Offline
Ignant Homer

(11-24-2015 11:24 AM)EdmondTiger Wrote:  Stoops and Patterson are two defensive minded coaches doing OK. The key is a good offensive coordinator that the head coach trust. The key will be does the next coach have the resources and contacts to put together a quality staff.

I heard that guy at Alabama likes defense too.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TiminMem23 Offline
All American

(11-24-2015 11:24 AM)Tigers2B1 Wrote:  Take Odom... in a heartbeat. 04-bow

Odom is young and he's been successful wherever he's been. He could be the next hot young coach.
EdmondTiger Offline
Special Teams

(11-24-2015 11:26 AM)mairving Wrote:  
(11-24-2015 11:24 AM)EdmondTiger Wrote:  Stoops and Patterson are two defensive minded coaches doing OK. The key is a good offensive coordinator that the head coach trust. The key will be does the next coach have the resources and contacts to put together a quality staff.

Agreed and he does OK. LOL. Stoops and Patterson seem a little more willing to open the offense, but that may be because they don't have Bama's talent.
11-24-2015 11:28 AM
HoopDreams Offline
Better Than Diamond Rings

I Root For: EXPECTATIONS
Stoops and Patterson both hired really progressive OCs recently.

Stoops had been in a rut for a couple of years and Patterson was troubling to score after moving from the BE to the B12.

If Odom wants to hire a progressive OC and leave him alone, I'd be all for hiring a defensive guy.
(This post was last modified: 11-24-2015 11:29 AM by HoopDreams.)
11-24-2015 11:29 AM
Advertisement

EdmondTiger Offline
Special Teams

(11-24-2015 11:29 AM)HoopDreams Wrote:  Stoops and Patterson both hired really progressive OCs recently.

Stoops had been in a rut for a couple of years and Patterson was troubling to score after moving from the BE to the B12.

If Odom wants to hire a progressive OC and leave him alone, I'd be all for hiring a defensive guy.

Stoop's mistake was getting away from the air raid offense after Manziel made his defense look stupid in the Cotton Bowl a few years back. He went from signing 4 and 5 star passing QB's to 2 and 3 star dual threat QB's. Completely lost the offensive identity until switching back to a more open offense this year.

I agree a progressive offensive philosophy is a must here.
11-24-2015 11:36 AM
TIGERCITY Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-24-2015 11:26 AM)TiminMem23 Wrote:  

Odom is young and he's been successful wherever he's been. He could be the next hot young coach.

With Lynch to the NFL I wonder if quality coaches like Odom would hesitate? Otherwise I'm fully on board the Odom bus.
11-24-2015 11:36 AM
EdmondTiger Offline
Special Teams

(11-24-2015 11:36 AM)TIGERCITY Wrote:  

With Lynch to the NFL I wonder if quality coaches like Odom would hesitate? Otherwise I'm fully on board the Odom bus.

Losing Lynch hurts, but Brady Davis was a highly rated recruit. Can we keep the Keon Howard commitment? The next coach needs to have confidence in his recruiting ability. I think one of the factors pushing Fuente towards the door is he doesn't think he can sustain high level recruiting at Memphis.
11-24-2015 11:39 AM
salukiblue Offline
Liaison to the Dummies

I Root For: Space Mountain
(11-24-2015 11:29 AM)HoopDreams Wrote:  Stoops and Patterson both hired really progressive OCs recently.

Rip Scherer was an OC.
11-24-2015 11:40 AM
Brother Bluto Offline
Banned

I Root For: Jamammy
(11-24-2015 11:26 AM)mairving Wrote:  

We tried to be like that from 1983-2003. Didn't work 3-0 Ole Miss final. No bowl games and the best season was 6-5
11-24-2015 11:40 AM
Advertisement

HoopDreams Offline

(11-24-2015 11:40 AM)salukiblue Wrote:  

Rip Scherer was an OC.

You'll note I said "progressive" OC.

I wouldn't hire the OC from Iowa or New Mexico either.

Dumbazz
11-24-2015 11:42 AM
TIGERCITY Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-24-2015 11:39 AM)EdmondTiger Wrote:  

Losing Lynch hurts, but Brady Davis was a highly rated recruit. Can we keep the Keon Howard commitment? The next coach needs to have confidence in his recruiting ability. I think one of the factors pushing Fuente towards the door is he doesn't think he can sustain high level recruiting at Memphis.

Maybe --- but I think we all know the primary reason. If you're career minded and want to make a mark in college football --- you need to be at a decent P5 school.
11-24-2015 11:44 AM
EdmondTiger Offline
Special Teams

(11-24-2015 11:44 AM)TIGERCITY Wrote:  

Maybe --- but I think we all know the primary reason. If you're career minded and want to make a mark in college football --- you need to be at a decent P5 school.

Agreed. Which probably means that Fuente knows the Big XII invite isn't coming in a time frame that works for his career (if ever).
(This post was last modified: 11-24-2015 11:48 AM by EdmondTiger.)
11-24-2015 11:48 AM
HoopDreams Offline

(11-24-2015 11:48 AM)EdmondTiger Wrote:  
(11-24-2015 11:44 AM)TIGERCITY Wrote:  
(11-24-2015 11:26 AM)TiminMem23 Wrote:  Odom is young and he's been successful wherever he's been. He could be the next hot young coach.

Agreed. Which probably means that Fuente knows the Big XII invite isn't coming in a time frame that works for his career (if ever).

BOOM
11-24-2015 11:49 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.