Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Greg Schiano - Where does he land
miko33 Offline
Defender of Honesty and Integrity

I Root For: Alma Mater
Greg Schiano - Where does he land
Due to the large number of vacancies in the FBS - especially among the P5 schools - I think the probability is high that he returns to the college ranks. If I had to predict a landing spot, I say he goes back to Rutgers and resumes his activities there. I could also see him landing at Maryland. I don't believe that any southern school will take him, and I think he'd be too much like Golden for Miami to talk to him IMHO.
11-23-2015 04:23 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

chrisRU Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers, NJIT
RE: Greg Schiano - Where does he land
Gonna be tough for Rutgers to cough up the money for him in today's environment unless boosters step up. I'm confident that Robert Barchi (Rutgers Pres) has little interest in investing any further in athletics on the university dime and would like prefer to punt the problem to his successor (I believe he will retire in 2016).

I believe the Bucs are still paying him until 2017 as well so any program wanting to pick him up will likely need to match or increase his current paycheck for doing nothing besides being an analyst for the NFL network.

The wildcard in all this is that Flood (and the football program in general) is under investigation by a law firm retained by the University. The outcome of that investigation could force the university's hand if major changes are required.

Any Rutgers fan who has seen the overall trajectory of Rutgers football since Schiano left and lack of options moving forward should not be discounting what he was able to accomplish here. Advancing athletics against the political and financial headwinds at Rutgers is monumental task.

To answer your question, I think he lands at any school that has had recent off-the-field issues and is looking for a coach to run a tight ship while producing acceptable (ie 7-9 win season) results. I have a feeling that Illinois may pick him up.
11-23-2015 04:49 PM
miko33 Offline

(11-23-2015 04:49 PM)chrisRU Wrote:  Gonna be tough for Rutgers to cough up the money for him in today's environment unless boosters step up. I'm confident that Robert Barchi (Rutgers Pres) has little interest in investing any further in athletics on the university dime and would like prefer to punt the problem to his successor (I believe he will retire in 2016).

I believe the Bucs are still paying him until 2017 as well so any program wanting to pick him up will likely need to match or increase his current paycheck for doing nothing besides being an analyst for the NFL network.

The wildcard in all this is that Flood (and the football program in general) is under investigation by a law firm retained by the University. The outcome of that investigation could force the university's hand if major changes are required.

Any Rutgers fan who has seen the overall trajectory of Rutgers football since Schiano left and lack of options moving forward should not be discounting what he was able to accomplish here. Advancing athletics against the political and financial headwinds at Rutgers is monumental task.

To answer your question, I think he lands at any school that has had recent off-the-field issues and is looking for a coach to run a tight ship while producing acceptable (ie 7-9 win season) results. I have a feeling that Illinois may pick him up.

This year in particular would be the right time for Greg to get back into the coaching ranks due to the number of schools needing new coaches. While the Bucs may be paying him to do nothing now, it's not assured that come 2017 he'll be able to get the same value he could get now due to the turmoil today.

Illinois may be the fit for him. Caveat in all this is what happens when PSU fires the asshat James Franklin? I think in 2 years that dumbbell is fired.
11-23-2015 04:56 PM
murrdcu Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas
CBS Sports College Football Review show with Houston Nutt.
11-23-2015 06:51 PM
Advertisement

Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
How about Temple when Matt Rhule moves on?
11-23-2015 07:14 PM
Pony94 Online

I Root For: SMU
(11-23-2015 06:51 PM)murrdcu Wrote:  CBS Sports College Football Review show with Houston Nutt.

How many jobs has he applied for? I know UNT for sure.
11-23-2015 07:15 PM
TyBull Offline
1st String

I Root For: USF / GA Tech
Rutgers
11-23-2015 08:59 PM
Advertisement

Rich52c Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Uconn
(11-23-2015 08:59 PM)TyBull Wrote:  Rutgers

No problem to find money at Rutgers.Barchi is a complete boob.His top 70 administrators make $27 million per year.20% of them could leave tomorrow and the only the university would run better without them.
11-23-2015 11:20 PM
TRest3 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UConn
I'm hearing things about the Pitt situation.
11-24-2015 08:11 AM
CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC
Likes Florida.........UCF ?
11-24-2015 08:39 AM
Advertisement

rjglassett Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Rutgers

I'm not convinced that Flood is gone, even if Maryland wins on Saturday.
11-24-2015 11:04 AM
miko33 Offline

(11-24-2015 11:04 AM)rjglassett Wrote:  

I'm not convinced that Flood is gone, even if Maryland wins on Saturday.

I can't see how the school could keep him as coach, unless they really don't give a sh!t about FB and want to go on cruise control ala Temple circa 2000 CE.
11-24-2015 11:26 AM
EvilVodka Offline
stuff

I Root For: FSU LSU
I don't know, but why no one is snapping up Greg Schiano is a mistake....

He did wonders at Rutgers, and got skilled NFL talent to come there
11-24-2015 11:40 AM
Advertisement

adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

I Root For: Louisville
(11-23-2015 04:49 PM)chrisRU Wrote:  I believe the Bucs are still paying him until 2017 as well so any program wanting to pick him up will likely need to match or increase his current paycheck for doing nothing besides being an analyst for the NFL network.

If he goes to college, I don't think that applies. I believe whatever he makes, much like his NFL analyst gig, is on top of his payout from the Bucs, whereas going to an NFL team, would just mean the Buc pay the difference between his new salary and the buyout.
11-24-2015 11:59 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JHG722 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Temple
(11-23-2015 07:14 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  How about Temple when Matt Rhule moves on?

03-lmfao
11-25-2015 12:00 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.