Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Access Bowl coming down to 3 win Champs?
Bookmark and Share
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo and G5
Access Bowl coming down to 3 win Champs?
If you've got WKU, BGSU/NIU, SDSU, USF, and Arkansas State as G5 champions, and none are in the CFP top 25...who gets the nod? Can they leave out the G5 all together and take only P5 at larges? Or will they make the best of that group #25 and send them?
11-23-2015 11:51 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

george14 Offline
1st String

I Root For: CMU
RE: Access Bowl coming down to 3 win Champs?
The highest ranked champion from the G5 gets an automatic bid. So from my understanding, it is what it is. You win your conference then you get a bid if you are the highest ranked.

However, I don't know if highest ranked literally means top 25, or just the highest ranked team in general (i.e. #35).
11-23-2015 12:10 PM
wleakr Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Eastern Mich
(11-23-2015 11:51 AM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  If you've got WKU, BGSU/NIU, SDSU, USF, and Arkansas State as G5 champions, and none are in the CFP top 25...who gets the nod? Can they leave out the G5 all together and take only P5 at larges? Or will they make the best of that group #25 and send them?

It's not that hard to figure out...

Being in the top 25 has nothing to do with it...

If none of the G5 champs are ranked, you simply rank them on their own 1 through 5 and whomever is #1 gets to go to the access bowl. Simple. And throw a bone to the media "explaining" the ranking process (but it's not necessary).

And no, they cannot "leave" the G5 out of it...the whole purpose of the slot is for it to go to the highest ranked G5 champ (not the highest ranked champ in the top 25).

But for kicks, the committee probably would just squeak the highest ranked champ in at #25, as the rankings don't mean much other than the playoff spots.
11-23-2015 12:17 PM
axeme Offline
Sage

I Root For: hoops

Folding@NCAAbbsDonatorsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(11-23-2015 12:10 PM)george14 Wrote:  The highest ranked champion from the G5 gets an automatic bid. So from my understanding, it is what it is. You win your conference then you get a bid if you are the highest ranked.

However, I don't know if highest ranked literally means top 25, or just the highest ranked team in general (i.e. #35).

That would be the question because if the rule is you have to be ranked, then you would have to be in the top 25 because that is all voters vote on. They don't vote on 30 or 35. If you aren't at least #25, you are unranked. Interesting question that someone must know the answer to.
11-23-2015 12:19 PM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

Exactly. They haven't come out with a G5 ranking. The only G5 ranking we have is those in the top25. Last week it was Navy, Houston, Memphis. Now it will change. In a situation where G5 teams are ranked, but none win their conference.... will the CFP committee come out with a different set of rankings of the G5 champs to settle the debate?
11-23-2015 12:22 PM
Advertisement

wleakr Offline
Special Teams

(11-23-2015 12:22 PM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  Exactly. They haven't come out with a G5 ranking. The only G5 ranking we have is those in the top25. Last week it was Navy, Houston, Memphis. Now it will change. In a situation where G5 teams are ranked, but none win their conference.... will the CFP committee come out with a different set of rankings of the G5 champs to settle the debate?

They haven't had to come up with a G5 ranking...

You are asking a hypothetical question (as we are not at the point of having to accept a 3 loss champ for the bid), and the answer will also be hypothetical until it happens.

It's not hard to rank 5 teams...
11-23-2015 12:38 PM
george14 Offline
1st String

(11-23-2015 12:17 PM)wleakr Wrote:  
(11-23-2015 11:51 AM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  If you've got WKU, BGSU/NIU, SDSU, USF, and Arkansas State as G5 champions, and none are in the CFP top 25...who gets the nod? Can they leave out the G5 all together and take only P5 at larges? Or will they make the best of that group #25 and send them?

It's not that hard to figure out...

Being in the top 25 has nothing to do with it...

If none of the G5 champs are ranked, you simply rank them on their own 1 through 5 and whomever is #1 gets to go to the access bowl. Simple. And throw a bone to the media "explaining" the ranking process (but it's not necessary).

And no, they cannot "leave" the G5 out of it...the whole purpose of the slot is for it to go to the highest ranked G5 champ (not the highest ranked champ in the top 25).

But for kicks, the committee probably would just squeak the highest ranked champ in at #25, as the rankings don't mean much other than the playoff spots.

I don't think you are even understanding the question. Stop trying to be arrogant and make it sound simplistic.

The question is; if you aren't in the top 25....where is the ranking system and how are you ranked?

You may very well be correct but this is a valid question. It may not hard to rank teams 1-5 but who does it and what is it based off of?
11-23-2015 12:40 PM
wleakr Offline
Special Teams

...and they have already addressed this.

"4. Number of Teams to Be Ranked. The committee will rank 25 teams. If no champion of a non-contract conference is among that group, then the committee will compare the five conference champions against each other. The highest ranked of those five teams will be the representative."

http://www.collegefootballplayoff.com/se...e-protocol

Even if they didn't address it, it's fairly obvious this is the route they would take (it's really the ONLY route...lol)!
11-23-2015 12:45 PM
george14 Offline
1st String

That's all you had to say. No need to be a know it all.
11-23-2015 12:48 PM
Advertisement

wleakr Offline
Special Teams

(11-23-2015 12:40 PM)george14 Wrote:  I don't think you are even understanding the question. Stop trying to be arrogant and make it sound simplistic.

The question is; if you aren't in the top 25....where is the ranking system and how are you ranked?

You may very well be correct but this is a valid question. It may not hard to rank teams 1-5 but who does it and what is it based off of?

It's not about being arrogant...it IS simple!

The same committee that does the rankings now would still do the G5 rankings using the same criteria they have been using to rank 25 teams...they would just perform it on a smaller scale for the unranked G5 champs.

And once they have that figured out, they can just post it with the final top 25 list and speak to it on ESPN, etc...

I don't see what's difficult to understand about that...

At any rate, it's posted on their website for all to see...
11-23-2015 12:51 PM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-23-2015 12:51 PM)wleakr Wrote:  
(11-23-2015 12:40 PM)george14 Wrote:  I don't think you are even understanding the question. Stop trying to be arrogant and make it sound simplistic.

It's not about being arrogant...it IS simple!

The same committee that does the rankings now would still do the G5 rankings using the same criteria they have been using to rank 25 teams...they would just perform it on a smaller scale for the unranked G5 champs.

And once they have that figured out, they can just post it with the final top 25 list and speak to it on ESPN, etc...

I don't see what's difficult to understand about that...

At any rate, it's posted on their website for all to see...

Should have posted that link in your first response! It obviously wasn't well known/simple or I would not have posed the question. No one has really thought of that scenario...or at least brought it up this season.

It would not be an easy task to perform.... ranking 5 teams with the same round about number of losses. All teams with maybe a decent win or two, with some bad losses ta boot.

3 Loss NIU riding a hot streak, or 4 loss USF riding a hot streak, or 3 loss SDSU riding a hot streak, or 2 loss WKU, or 9-3 Arkansas State riding a hot streak. One with wins over Temple, and presumable Navy/ Houston, but a loss to Maryland. One with wins over Toledo and BG, but losses to Boston College and CMU. One with 3 losses OOC to Penn State, Cal, and South Alabama, but went 9-0 in conference beating Boise State, and Utah State. One with two losses OOC, Indiana being one of those losses, with the only real good win being Marshall? One with 3 losses OOC to Mizzou, USC, and Toledo, then getting their QB back and beating Appy State going 8-0 in conference....
11-23-2015 01:23 PM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

I Root For: any UT opponent

This discussion went out the window when Temple beat a Memphis team last week, a Memphis team that completely quit and laid down for Temple. It made a mockery of the AAC imo. Even so, that game pretty much locked in the AAC to the Access Spot because it bumped USF out of the picture in all likelihood. I honestly think, even a 4 loss USF would have gotten the nod over the MAC champ. The corrupt CFP has been consistently overblowing the AAC this year, and they wont deviate from that in their final G5 representative. It would make them look foolish if they did. Toledo is probably the only team with a slight hope alive, for that to happen UConn has to beat Temple to get USF a shot at the title, and of course Toledo needs to beat WMU and NIU needs to lose to Ohio.

UConn beating Temple is a fantasy though, and the most unlikely outcome of all of the above. For as pathetic as Temple is offensively, I don't think UConn will be able to score more than 10 points against Temple's defense.
(This post was last modified: 11-23-2015 01:38 PM by MaddDawgz02.)
11-23-2015 01:28 PM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-23-2015 01:28 PM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  

This discussion went out the window when Temple beat a Memphis team last week, a Memphis team that completely quit and laid down for Temple. It made a mockery of the AAC imo. Even so, that game pretty much locked in the AAC to the Access Spot because it bumped USF out of the picture in all likelihood. I honestly think, even a 4 loss USF would have gotten the nod over the MAC champ. The corrupt CFP has been consistently overblowing the AAC this year, and they wont deviate from that in their final G5 representative. It would make them look foolish if they did. Toledo is probably the only team with a slight hope alive, for that to happen UConn has to beat Temple to get USF a shot at the title, and of course Toledo needs to beat WMU and NIU needs to lose to Ohio.

UConn beating Temple is a fantasy though, and the most unlikely outcome of all of the above. For as pathetic as Temple is offensively, I don't think UConn will be able to score more than 10 points against Temple's defense.

Uconn beat Houston so to say there isnt a chance USF wins that division is silly. The Memphis game made the chances less likely... Just as NIU beating WMU made it less likely Toledo can get to the MACC. Still not inpossible. Massey has Temple as an 89% win. They were about the same odds to beat USF.
11-23-2015 05:24 PM
Advertisement

HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

I Root For: UCONN
We ain't done playin just yet.

HungryHuskies
11-23-2015 09:01 PM
IceJus10 Offline
All American

I Root For: Sports
even if USF wins the East, they'd still have to beat the West Champ... Houston or Navy... Navy just beat them in the last 4 weeks and has destroyed everyone they played since.
11-23-2015 09:08 PM
huskiebob Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU Huskies

Donators
(11-23-2015 09:08 PM)IceJus10 Wrote:  even if USF wins the East, they'd still have to beat the West Champ... Houston or Navy... Navy just beat them in the last 4 weeks and has destroyed everyone they played since.

True, but USF hung tough in that game. They were up 19-17 late in the 3rd. USF will do better defending the Option Attack the second time around.
11-23-2015 10:33 PM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
(11-23-2015 10:33 PM)huskiebob Wrote:  
(11-23-2015 09:08 PM)IceJus10 Wrote:  even if USF wins the East, they'd still have to beat the West Champ... Houston or Navy... Navy just beat them in the last 4 weeks and has destroyed everyone they played since.

True, but USF hung tough in that game. They were up 19-17 late in the 3rd. USF will do better defending the Option Attack the second time around.
This is exactly the issue. Navy is playing a conference schedule against schools not used to playing a triple option school regularly. Give USF another crack, and they could well reverse the result.

However, since Houston was reportedly banged up pretty bad when they lost to UConn, its still long odds against UConn beating Temple, and if Temple wins, USF's prospects in a second chance against Navy becomes a moot point ... with the win over Memphis, Temple's future is once again in its hands. Win out, and they are the AAC champions.
(This post was last modified: 11-24-2015 08:28 PM by BruceMcF.)
11-24-2015 04:23 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.