Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

New Precedent - 6 wins
Bookmark and Share
fanofallthatisjmu Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: JMU
New Precedent - 6 wins
I am sure this was touched on (most likely by BDK and I am sure he will link to it in a reply to this post 04-cheers 02-13-banana) but including a 6 win WIU team (not to mention their cupcake pairing) sets a new precedent. This is especially true with a 7 win Towson (ie CAA) team sitting there.

Based on this, there is only one reason we should not play 2 FBS games a year, and that is for 6 home games. At the minimum we should have one FBS, one strong OOC FCS, and one cupcake.

Talk about the committee opening a new can of worms.
11-23-2015 09:09 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JMad03 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison
RE: New Precedent - 6 wins
Am I missing something? Aside from South Dakota State, who did they beat? They got thumped by NDSU and Illinois State.
I really would like to know the rationale behind that decision. I would be ticked off if our team had 7 wins and got beat out by WIU.
11-23-2015 09:24 AM
PurpleStreamers Offline
1st String

I Root For: Dukes
I spent a walk with the dog yesterday puzzling this out a bit because I hate the "participation trophy" nature of this precedent. I'm not "quite" as disturbed as I was at first. First of all, the national consensus is that UND (7-4, 5-3 Big Sky with an FBS win over Wyoming) was a bigger snub than Towson and it's tough to argue with that but the same thing applies to both. Also, this was bound to happen at some point with the two extra at-large spots from the MEAC and SWAC quitting.

UND would have been a fourth team out of a down Big Sky and Towson would have been a fifth team out of a less-than-usual CAA. That also would've given the CAA more than MVFC or the BSC equal to CAA/MVFC had they gone that way. Neither of those options seem fair at a time when the MVFC has pretty clearly separated itself. This was really a bone to the conference more than a judgment about WIU, especially when there were arguably more deserving 6-5 teams (Liberty with an FBS win and wins over Montana and Coastal or Western Carolina who played two FBS games and would've been a third SoCon which would have also been understandable).

As for giving them a virtual bye against Dayton while SDSU got shipped to Grizzly Stadium with the winner going to Fargo (also known as the JMU/YSU made-for-tv section of the bracket), well there's just no excuse for that.
11-23-2015 10:04 AM
Advertisement

NH/JMU Saxkow Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU
(11-23-2015 09:24 AM)JMad03 Wrote:  Am I missing something? Aside from South Dakota State, who did they beat? They got thumped by NDSU and Illinois State.
I really would like to know the rationale behind that decision. I would be ticked off if our team had 7 wins and got beat out by WIU.

They also beat Northern Iowa and Eastern Illinois - both playoff teams. I do think they were one of the (if not the) top 6-win teams...I just think they should have been required to get to 7.
11-23-2015 05:57 PM
formerjmusprinter84 Offline
1st String

I have two words for a 6-5 team getting in: Bad Idea
11-23-2015 10:49 PM
Advertisement

BDKJMU Offline
Heisman

As I said in the other thread agreed bad precedent. I would have left out EIU (resume weaker than ND and TU) and WIU and put in ND and TU..
11-24-2015 07:14 AM
JMU85 Offline
All American

I Root For: The Dukes of JMU
New Precedent - 6 wins
(11-23-2015 10:49 PM)formerjmusprinter84 Wrote:  I have two words for a 6-5 team getting in: Bad Idea

Soon the field will expand to 32 teams and 6 wins will be the requirement to be "playoff eligible". This will be similar to FBS with 6 wins to be "Bowl Eligible". It is all about $ and the everyone gets a trophy mentality. IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
11-24-2015 08:15 AM
Advertisement

JMUdubbya Offline
Water Engineer

SHSU got an at-large in 2013 with only 6 D1 wins. They were 8-4 that year but one win was against Houston Baptist which was creating their program from scratch and only played 7 games that year. The other was against Incarnate Word which was in their first year of transition to FCS but technically not a D1 counter.

Considering that was a year you could schedule 12 teams it seems the precedent might have already been set.
11-24-2015 08:22 AM
NC Tribe Offline
1st String

I Root For: W&M, JMU
6-5 team in the playoffs, sounds like FBS where 6-6 teams that are 2-6 in their conference go to bowls.

Many JMU fans on this board seem t want to go FBS, now they can have a taste of it in FCS!COGS
11-24-2015 08:34 AM
Advertisement

JMU_Degenerate Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU DUUUUKES
(11-24-2015 08:34 AM)NC Tribe Wrote:  6-5 team in the playoffs, sounds like FBS where 6-6 teams that are 2-6 in their conference go to bowls.

Many JMU fans on this board seem t want to go FBS, now they can have a taste of it in FCS!COGS

Except WIU went 5-3 in the toughest conference in FCS not 2-6. Their OOC losses were to an FBS team and a Playoff Team and their OOC win was over a playoff team.

If anything, the naysayers thinking WIU is undeserving of a playoff spot are providing the evidence that our admin will/can use to continue to schedule cupcakes instead of the FBS or difficult FCS opponents that the average fan desires. If WIU had scheduled St Francis/CCSU instead of Illinois/CCU they would be 8-3 instead of 6-5 and people would be wondering why they weren't seeded.
(This post was last modified: 11-24-2015 03:19 PM by JMU_Degenerate.)
11-24-2015 03:18 PM
JMU85 Offline
All American

I Root For: The Dukes of JMU
This is humorous. Groveling to become Bowl eligible. They may get it since there may not be enough 6 win teams to fill all of the Bowl games.

http://www.dailycal.org/2015/11/24/cal-r...from-ncaa/
11-25-2015 12:38 PM
BDKJMU Offline
Heisman

(11-24-2015 03:18 PM)JMU_Degenerate Wrote:  
(11-24-2015 08:34 AM)NC Tribe Wrote:  6-5 team in the playoffs, sounds like FBS where 6-6 teams that are 2-6 in their conference go to bowls.

Except WIU went 5-3 in the toughest conference in FCS not 2-6. Their OOC losses were to an FBS team and a Playoff Team and their OOC win was over a playoff team.

If anything, the naysayers thinking WIU is undeserving of a playoff spot are providing the evidence that our admin will/can use to continue to schedule cupcakes instead of the FBS or difficult FCS opponents that the average fan desires. If WIU had scheduled St Francis/CCSU instead of Illinois/CCU they would be 8-3 instead of 6-5 and people would be wondering why they weren't seeded.

No they wouldn't because that 8-3 wouldn't have played a I-A and they would have 3 I-AA losses. You don't often see a 8-3 seeded (RU is the only 1 this year). And those rare 8-3 that do will always have played 1, if not 2, I-A games. Probably none has ever been seeded with 3 I-AA losses.

SDSU is an 8-3 MVFC with 3 I-AA losses, and no one is wondering why they aren't seeded.
(This post was last modified: 11-25-2015 07:49 PM by BDKJMU.)
11-25-2015 07:48 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.