Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Strategist challenge
Bookmark and Share
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
Strategist challenge
OK all you realignment gurus.

Your exercise is to divide the P5 into 4 conferences using the existing 65 teams (3 x 16 and 1 x 16 +Notre Dame). No additional teams can be used and none of the 65 can be deleted. The only caveat is that all 16 teams have to be in states that are contiguous (the exceptions are: does not apply to Notre Dame or the western most conference).
11-19-2015 03:43 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
RE: Strategist challenge
(11-19-2015 03:43 PM)XLance Wrote:  OK all you realignment gurus.

Your exercise is to divide the P5 into 4 conferences using the existing 65 teams (3 x 16 and 1 x 16 +Notre Dame). No additional teams can be used and none of the 65 can be deleted. The only caveat is that all 16 teams have to be in states that are contiguous (the exceptions are: does not apply to Notre Dame or the western most conference).

Add West Virginia and Vanderbilt to the ACC.

Add Kansas and Iowa State to the Big 10.

Add Oklahoma, Kansas State and Baylor to the SEC.

Add Texas, T.C.U., Oklahoma State, and Texas Tech to the PAC.

Baylor gives the SEC one private school to cover full disclosure issues. Oklahoma gives us a national brand, a state, and a large share of the DFW market. Kansas State is the price.

The PAC gets Texas and Texas gets a 1/2 division of its own.

The Big 10 gets a brand and two AAU programs. Their price is market duplication with Iowa State.

The ACC gets Vanderbilt which is in a contiguous state and a good academic fit. Your price is W.V.U.
11-19-2015 04:39 PM
5thTiger Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Missouri

B1G West (+Missouri and Kansas)
Nebraska, Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, Kansas, Wisconsin, Illinois, Northwestern

B1G East
Purdue, Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Penn State, Maryland, Rutgers, Indiana

ACC North (+KState + Iowa St)...Notre Dame
Syracuse, BC, Louisville, Virginia, Va Tech, Pitt, KState, Iowa St

ACC South
Clemson, Miami, Florida St, GA Tech, UNC, Duke, Wake, NC State

SEC West (+WV, Oklahoma, Ok State)
WV, Oklahoma, Ok State, Texas A&M, Ole Miss, Miss St, LSU, Arkansas

SEC East
Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, SC, Tennessee, Vandy, Kentucky

PAC SE (+TCU, Baylor, Texas Tech, Texas)
TCU, Baylor, TTech, Texas, Colorado, Utah, Arizona, Arizona St

PAC NW
Cal, UCLA, USC, Oregon, Washington, Wash St, Oregon St, Stanford.

Pieces that could be moved and switched: WV, Iowa St, KState, Texas. I know its not perfect, but is pretty realistic. Only the ACC wouldn't have everyone contingent. Texas would be about 15 miles from being contingent with the rest of the PAC.
(This post was last modified: 11-19-2015 04:55 PM by 5thTiger.)
11-19-2015 04:50 PM
YNot Offline
All American

I Root For: BYU
I'll take a different approach.

Texas and Oklahoma decide to grow their own conference from scratch:

Texas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, LSU
Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia, Florida
Stanford, USC, Oregon, Washington
Arizona St., Colorado, Kansas, Missouri

The Big 16 contracts with the Rose and Sugar Bowls.

Meanwhile, Ohio St. and Michigan get a similar idea:

Ohio St., Michigan, Penn St., Maryland
Virginia, UNC, Duke, Kentucky
Clemson, Georgia Tech, Florida St., Vanderbilt
Illinois, Wisconsin, Indiana, Michigan St.

Notre Dame chooses to affiliate with this new conference. It contracts with the Rose and Orange Bowls.

The ACC and B1G leftovers combine and grab South Carolina under the ACC banner.

Virginia Tech, NC State, Wake Forest, South Carolina
Syracuse, Boston College, Rutgers, Miami
West Virginia, Louisville, Pitt, Purdue
Iowa, Minnesota, Northwestern, Iowa St.

The realigned ACC keeps its contract with the Orange bowl.

The Big 12 and SEC leftovers (sans South Carolina) team up with the six left from the PAC.

Washington St., Oregon St., Cal, UCLA
Arizona, Utah, TCU, Texas Tech
Baylor, Oklahoma St., Kansas St., Texas A&M
Arkansas, Ole Miss, Mississippi St., Auburn

This new conference contracts with the Sugar and Fiesta Bowls.
11-19-2015 06:37 PM
Lenvillecards Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Louisville
Strategist challenge
Western Conference
North- Oregon, Oregon St, Washington, Washington State, Utah, Colorado, Iowa St, Minnesota

South- USC, UCLA, Stanford, California, Arizona, Arizona St, Texas Tech, TCU

Midwest Conference
North- Ohio St, Michigan, Michigan State, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Purdue, Northwestern

South- Nebraska, Missouri, Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Iowa

Southern Conference
West- Texas A&M, Arkansas, LSU, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Baylor, Mississippi, Mississippi State

East- Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Kentucky, NC State, Virginia Tech

Eastern Conference +Notre Dame
South- FSU, Clemson, Georgia Tech, Louisville, North Carolina, Duke, Virginia, Miami

North- Penn State, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Boston College, Maryland, Rutgers, West Virginia, Wake Forest
11-20-2015 12:52 PM
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-19-2015 04:39 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

Baylor gives the SEC one private school to cover full disclosure issues. Oklahoma gives us a national brand, a state, and a large share of the DFW market. Kansas State is the price.

The Big 10 gets a brand and two AAU programs. Their price is market duplication with Iowa State.

The ACC gets Vanderbilt which is in a contiguous state and a good academic fit. Your price is W.V.U.

JR, it appears as though you are the only one to follow the format, and I agree with most of your placements.
Baylor, I believe has to go to the SEC. I also agree that Kansas State is a huge price and one that the SEC must pay. I was iffy about Oklahoma vs. Oklahoma State. I think the Cowboys could thrive in the SEC, but I'm not sure they could survive the West Coast, so I moved Oklahoma State into the SEC and Oklahoma to the PAC.
My only other change would be with the ACC. Maybe it's not fair after I moved the Sooners west, but I would go with South Carolina instead of Vandy (but you knew that was coming), although I am completely happy with Vanderbilt if you think that it's just too much burden for the SEC to handle (with having to take Oklahoma State instead of Oklahoma).

PAC
adds Oklahoma, Texas, TCU and Texas Tech

B1G
adds Kansas and Iowa State

SEC
adds
Oklahoma State, Baylor and Kansas State

ACC
adds West Virginia and Vanderbilt (or South Carolina).
Notre Dame continues their partial membership with the ACC.
11-20-2015 01:15 PM
Advertisement

UofLCard94 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Louisville

I have all conferences with contiguous states.

SEC (Adds TCU & Oklahoma State)

East Florida, South Carolina, Georgia, Tennessee
South East Alabama, Auburn, Vandy, UK
South West LSU, Arkansas, Mississippi, Mississippi State
West Texas A&M, TCU, Oklahoma State, Missouri

PAC (Adds Texas, Oklahoma, Baylor, Texas Tech)
North Washington, Washington State, Oregon,Oregon State
Cali Stanford, California, USC, UCLA
South Arizona, Arizona State, Utah, Colorado
Ole South West Texas, Oklahoma , Baylor, Texas Tech

BIG 10 (adds Kansas State, Kansas, Iowa State less Maryland)
Plains Kansas State, Kansas, Nebraska , Iowa State
North West Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Northwestern
East Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, Rutgers
Midwest Michigan State, Indiana, Illinois, Purdue

ACC (adds West Virginia, Maryland and ND as full member)
North BC, Syracuse, Pitt, West Virginia
Tobacco Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia Tech, Duke
Road Virginia Tech, North Carolina State, Maryland, Wake Forest
South Florida State, Miami, Clemson, Louisville

Notre Dame - randomly scheduled for same number of conference games.
(This post was last modified: 11-20-2015 02:08 PM by UofLCard94.)
11-20-2015 02:05 PM
AllTideUp Online
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama

I feel like I'm taking an IQ test here...lol.

PAC 16: (adds ISU, KSU, TT, and TCU)

------------------------------------------

Big Ten: (adds KU and MU)

SEC: (adds Texas, Baylor, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State)

ACC: (adds West Virginia and Vanderbilt)
11-20-2015 02:09 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(11-20-2015 01:15 PM)XLance Wrote:  

JR, it appears as though you are the only one to follow the format, and I agree with most of your placements.
Baylor, I believe has to go to the SEC. I also agree that Kansas State is a huge price and one that the SEC must pay. I was iffy about Oklahoma vs. Oklahoma State. I think the Cowboys could thrive in the SEC, but I'm not sure they could survive the West Coast, so I moved Oklahoma State into the SEC and Oklahoma to the PAC.
My only other change would be with the ACC. Maybe it's not fair after I moved the Sooners west, but I would go with South Carolina instead of Vandy (but you knew that was coming), although I am completely happy with Vanderbilt if you think that it's just too much burden for the SEC to handle (with having to take Oklahoma State instead of Oklahoma).

PAC

B1G

SEC
adds

ACC

XLance, Oklahoma is the only addition that would permit the SEC to take K.State. We aren't getting left out of one brand if we must compromise to get this done. So the Sooners in this arrangement would not be negotiable.
11-20-2015 02:10 PM
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-20-2015 02:10 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

PAC

B1G

SEC
adds

ACC

XLance, Oklahoma is the only addition that would permit the SEC to take K.State. We aren't getting left out of one brand if we must compromise to get this done. So the Sooners in this arrangement would not be negotiable.

Not a problem for me JR, but if the SEC gets Oklahoma, then it's only fair that we take the chickens. Besides, Vanderbilt is an original member, unlike 'lil carolina.
You know that I have always liked Oklahoma going to the SEC with Baylor.
(This post was last modified: 11-20-2015 05:07 PM by XLance.)
11-20-2015 04:38 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(11-20-2015 04:38 PM)XLance Wrote:  

PAC

B1G

SEC
adds

ACC

Not a problem for me JR, but if the SEC gets Oklahoma, then it's only fair that we take the chickens. Besides, Vanderbilt is an original member, unlike 'lil carolina.

Of course they would have to want to go. I actually could see Vanderbilt wanting to do that before South Carolina.

Actually I think All Tide Up may be closer to the SEC format. Missouri & Kansas to the B1G and OU, OSU and Baylor to the SEC. It really all comes down to, as we've both said before, what Texas wants to do.
11-20-2015 09:35 PM
Advertisement

XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-20-2015 09:35 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(11-20-2015 04:38 PM)XLance Wrote:  
(11-19-2015 04:39 PM)JRsec Wrote:  Add West Virginia and Vanderbilt to the ACC.

PAC

B1G

SEC
adds

ACC

Of course they would have to want to go. I actually could see Vanderbilt wanting to do that before South Carolina.

Actually I think All Tide Up may be closer to the SEC format. Missouri & Kansas to the B1G and OU, OSU and Baylor to the SEC. It really all comes down to, as we've both said before, what Texas wants to do.

Build on that for a minute.
The B1G gets Iowa State, Kansas and Missouri.

The PAC gets:
Texas, Texas Tech, TCU, and Oklahoma State.

The SEC Gets
Nebraska, Kansas State, Oklahoma and Baylor

The ACC gets
West Virginia and Kentucky, South Carolina or Vanderbilt.
11-21-2015 12:04 PM
bengltgrs Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Strategist challenge
Texas will not enter any conference it can't control....therefore it goes nowhere.
11-21-2015 01:44 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Transic_nyc Offline
1st String

I Root For: Return To Stability
PAC + Nebraska, Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State

SEC + Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Baylor, TCU

B1G + Missouri, Virginia Tech, Vanderbilt

ACC + Notre Dame, West Virginia, Kentucky

SEC West:

Texsa, TAMU, Okie, Okie State, TCU, Baylor, Arkansas, LSU

SEC East:

Ole Miss, MSU, Bama, Auburn, Georgia, Tennessee, Florida, SoCar

ACC North:

ND, Syracuse, Pitt, Kentucky, Louisville, West Virginia, Boston College, Miami

ACC South:

FSU, Clemson, Virginia, UNC, Duke, State, Wake, Georgia Tech

Big Ten West:

Iowa, Missouri, Northwestern, Vanderbilt, Minnesota, Illinois, Wisconsin, Purdue

Big Ten East:

Indiana, Rutgers, Maryland, Virginia Tech, Michigan, Michigan State, Penn State, Ohio State

Pac Midwest: Nebraska, Kansas, Iowa State, Kansas State

Pac Mountain: Utah, Colorado, Arizona, Arizona State

Pac California: Cal, UCLA, USC, Stanford

Pac Northwest: WSU, Oregon, Oregon State, Washington
11-22-2015 03:58 AM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(11-22-2015 03:58 AM)Transic_nyc Wrote:  PAC + Nebraska, Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State

SEC West:

SEC East:

ACC North:

ACC South:

Big Ten West:

Iowa, Missouri, Northwestern, Vanderbilt, Minnesota, Illinois, Wisconsin, Purdue

Big Ten East:

Indiana, Rutgers, Maryland, Virginia Tech, Michigan, Michigan State, Penn State, Ohio State

We just need 1 more Texas school if we add another at all. Vanderbilt has had ample opportunities to move to the Big 10. They haven't acted on any of them. But at least this was outside the box and somewhat fresh.
11-22-2015 10:33 AM
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-22-2015 10:33 AM)JRsec Wrote:  
(11-22-2015 03:58 AM)Transic_nyc Wrote:  PAC + Nebraska, Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State

SEC West:

SEC East:

ACC North:

ACC South:

Big Ten West:

Big Ten East:

We just need 1 more Texas school if we add another at all. Vanderbilt has had ample opportunities to move to the Big 10. They haven't acted on any of them. But at least this was outside the box and somewhat fresh.

And it has to be Baylor. If the Big 12 is to "go away" and every school has to be accounted for, then Baylor must end up in the SEC. Whether it's Baylor, Oklahoma and Okie State, or Baylor, Oklahoma and Kansas State, or heaven forbid Oklahoma State, Baylor and Kansas State or any other two or three team scenario, Baylor must end up in the SEC.
That is unless Texas does indeed move to the ACC and brings friends with them. Then that really opens up the worm can.
(This post was last modified: 11-22-2015 11:02 AM by XLance.)
11-22-2015 10:58 AM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(11-22-2015 10:58 AM)XLance Wrote:  
(11-22-2015 10:33 AM)JRsec Wrote:  

SEC West:

SEC East:

ACC North:

ACC South:

Big Ten West:

Big Ten East:

And it has to be Baylor. If the Big 12 is to "go away" and every school has to be accounted for, then Baylor must end up in the SEC. Whether it's Baylor, Oklahoma and Okie State, or Baylor, Oklahoma and Kansas State, or heaven forbid Oklahoma State, Baylor and Kansas State or any other two or three team scenario, Baylor must end up in the SEC.
That is unless Texas does indeed move to the ACC and brings friends with them. Then that really opens up the worm can.

Well, if the ACC took Texas and friends you need to add 3 move to 18 and insist the Irish come all in as part of the deal. Texas, Baylor and T.C.U. give you the state in total and really the only compromise for the ACC is Baylor. T.C.U. puts you in DFW and that's worth their ticket for the ACC. You would simply form a Gulf division of six schools to include Miami, Florida State and Georgia Tech and the Texas trio.

Clemson, Louisville, N.C. State, Pittsburgh, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest

Boston College, Duke, North Carolina, Notre Dame, Syracuse, Virginia

That's not a bad set up.
(This post was last modified: 11-22-2015 02:06 PM by JRsec.)
11-22-2015 02:02 PM
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

The chance of Texas to the ACC is very slim at best.
In order to protect the RRR and Bedlam (and leave OOC scheduling flexibility for each of the three schools involved) it would be necessary to have two of the three in the same conference.
So if Oklahoma moves to the SEC then Oklahoma State must come too or follow Texas (and I feel confident in saying that Oklahoma State will not be in the ACC or the B1G).
So there we are, Texas not wanting to go anywhere or make any changes and Oklahoma either wanting to expand or leave.
Of course the fear of ESPN (and the SEC) would be for Texas and Oklahoma to slip off to the PAC together with any other pair from the Big 12.
But thanks to ESPN's quick thinking and big checkbook, they bribed Texas into staying put until.........Oklahoma started getting impatient.
(This post was last modified: 11-23-2015 08:15 AM by XLance.)
11-22-2015 09:36 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(11-22-2015 09:36 PM)XLance Wrote:  The chance of Texas to the ACC is very slim at best.
In order to protect the RRR and Bedlam (and leave OOC scheduling flexibility for each of the three schools involved) it would be necessary to have two of the three in the same conference.
So if Oklahoma moves to the SEC then Oklahoma State must come too or follow Texas (and I feel confident in saying that Oklahoma State will not be in the ACC or the B1G).
So there we are, Texas not wanting to go anywhere or make any changes and Oklahoma either wanting to expand or leave.
Of course the fear of ESPN (and the SEC) would be for Texas and Oklahoma to slip off to the PAC together with any other pair from the Big 12.
But thanks to ESPN's quick thinking and big checkbook, they bribed Texas into staying put until.........Oklahoma started getting impatient.

I spoke with a Texas insider who feels Texas wants to right their ship in football before making a move. He felt that the only acceptable alternative to the Big 12 was the SEC due to geography but that Texas didn't want to play catch up as a member of the SEC's Western division, but that they would consider making that move with Oklahoma, and prefer to do it with two others, once Texas felt that it could compete at a higher level with those schools.

I thought that was an interesting take, and one in which the reasoning had the ring of truth as far as motives go. We'll see.
(This post was last modified: 11-23-2015 08:37 AM by JRsec.)
11-23-2015 08:36 AM
vandiver49 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USNA/UTK
(11-22-2015 10:58 AM)XLance Wrote:  And it has to be Baylor. If the Big 12 is to "go away" and every school has to be accounted for, then Baylor must end up in the SEC. Whether it's Baylor, Oklahoma and Okie State, or Baylor, Oklahoma and Kansas State, or heaven forbid Oklahoma State, Baylor and Kansas State or any other two or three team scenario, Baylor must end up in the SEC.

The bolded is how I imagine Baylor could work with the ACC...

PAC adds ISU, TT, KSU, OU

Texas get ND type deal with ACC

ACC adds Baylor, WVU, TCU

B1G adds KU

SEC adds OKST

Why do you feel the SEC is the only option for Baylor? And if the is the major sticking point for dissolving the B12, then that would give the SEC a major advantage
11-23-2015 09:03 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.