Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

College Arena Football
firmbizzle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UF, UCF
College Arena Football
Do you ever think that it could be a thing as a club sport? Seems like a great way for P5 coaches to get a little extra practice time with their second and third string. Arena football is mostly a throwing game so it seems like it would be great for QB's. I don't see big programs having any trouble filling 10-15,000 seat arenas in the spring. Hold your spring training camp in March then let your assistant coaches head up the Arena team after that.
11-17-2015 02:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MplsBison Offline
Banned

I Root For: NDSU/Minnesota
RE: College Arena Football
I don't think coaches would let their players play on the Arena team. Too much risk for injury, when success in Arena wouldn't mean anything in the fall.

They'd rather have them in spring camp, practicing plays and techniques for the full game.
11-17-2015 02:16 PM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

But if you're considering completely separate rosters, then I suppose so. Particularly for the football crazed schools that can't get enough.

Two things:

- just going to skew title IX participation numbers that much further towards males
- only works for arenas that have a "full" floor size (ie, a hockey rink sized floor)
11-17-2015 02:18 PM
CenterSquarEd Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Siena
If it's a club sport, it's by definition non-varsity and non-scholarship. It could be a spring sport. It may end up competing for talent with rugby, which has fall and spring seasons. I don't see it necessarily benefiting the outdoor football programs. A feeder program to find walk-ons? A student-athlete is probably more likely to take an FCS scholarship than a non-scholarship arena football roster spot at a P5 school.
11-17-2015 03:56 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
Would they ever sponsor Women's Tackle Football like the the Pro Lady's Arena Football League? It might help cover the Title 9 issues. I think that is popular right now than several of the women sports.
11-17-2015 04:23 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MplsBison Offline
Banned

(11-17-2015 03:56 PM)CenterSquarEd Wrote:  If it's a club sport, it's by definition non-varsity and non-scholarship. It could be a spring sport. It may end up competing for talent with rugby, which has fall and spring seasons. I don't see it necessarily benefiting the outdoor football programs. A feeder program to find walk-ons? A student-athlete is probably more likely to take an FCS scholarship than a non-scholarship arena football roster spot at a P5 school.

Ah, true - I guess he did say club sport.

But sounds expensive. Not sure that the players would be able to afford it.
11-17-2015 05:25 PM
Advertisement

Rabbit_in_Red Offline
Banned

I Root For: Louisville, ACC
I've always thought the concept could work for college women's football.
11-17-2015 06:30 PM
Wolfman Offline
All American

I Root For: The Cartel
It would require major NCAA rules changes. There are strict limits on the amount of time a coach can spend with players. The NCAA has rules about stashing players in other varsity sports and I would suspect they have rules about stashing players in club sports.
11-17-2015 06:47 PM
adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

I Root For: Louisville
(11-17-2015 02:10 PM)firmbizzle Wrote:  Do you ever think that it could be a thing as a club sport? Seems like a great way for P5 coaches to get a little extra practice time with their second and third string.

There was a thread about this back a few months ago that had some really good ideas in it.

On the flipside, it sounds almost like having college men's softball. Seems more like something for semi-retired players.
11-17-2015 06:50 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cleburneslim Offline
1st String

I Root For: jax state
College Lingerie football
11-17-2015 07:27 PM
firmbizzle Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-17-2015 02:18 PM)MplsBison Wrote:  But if you're considering completely separate rosters, then I suppose so. Particularly for the football crazed schools that can't get enough.

Two things:

- just going to skew title IX participation numbers that much further towards males
- only works for arenas that have a "full" floor size (ie, a hockey rink sized floor)

Totally separate rosters. Mainly trying to get your freshman & 3rd string players ready or try to develop QB depth. At the football crazy schools I could see them packing 15,000/game for 5-10 games per season against other football crazy schools. The ticket revenue could go to support the sport, equipment, turf, goal posts, uniforms, etc. At some schools you could draw 10,000 people just to watch pee wee football in SEC uniforms.
11-17-2015 08:05 PM
Advertisement

georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
Arena CFB would break the bank thanks to Title IX. You'd have to take on an ENORMOUS influx of deeply unprofitable women's sports. There are less than 10 schools nationwide that could swallow the cost of Skye and Mercedes playing women's organized hacky sack and curling with revenue made off Arena CFB.
11-17-2015 11:40 PM
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
(11-17-2015 07:27 PM)cleburneslim Wrote:  College Lingerie football

That won't be counted toward Title IX. Cheerleading is the collegiate sport with the highest odds of catastrophic, career ending, and life altering injury. And it DOES NOT COUNT toward Title IX. That was a carve out specifically demanded by the feminist architects of Title IX. Remember ... feminists are only interested in gender equality in sports if you aren't allowed to look hot doing it.

Penn & Teller did an episode of Bullsh*t on Showtime about it. Recommended viewing.
11-17-2015 11:47 PM
BruceMcF Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
(11-17-2015 11:47 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  
(11-17-2015 07:27 PM)cleburneslim Wrote:  College Lingerie football

That won't be counted toward Title IX. Cheerleading is the collegiate sport with the highest odds of catastrophic, career ending, and life altering injury. And it DOES NOT COUNT toward Title IX. That was a carve out specifically demanded by the feminist architects of Title IX. Remember ... feminists are only interested in gender equality in sports if you aren't allowed to look hot doing it.

Penn & Teller did an episode of Bullsh*t on Showtime about it. Recommended viewing.
Their attention must be distracted or influence slipping, since Beach Volleyball counts as an "emerging" sport.
11-18-2015 04:23 AM
firmbizzle Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-17-2015 11:40 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  Arena CFB would break the bank thanks to Title IX. You'd have to take on an ENORMOUS influx of deeply unprofitable women's sports. There are less than 10 schools nationwide that could swallow the cost of Skye and Mercedes playing women's organized hacky sack and curling with revenue made off Arena CFB.

I'm talking about a club sport like Hockey at some schools in the south.
11-18-2015 09:02 AM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

(11-17-2015 08:05 PM)firmbizzle Wrote:  
(11-17-2015 02:18 PM)MplsBison Wrote:  But if you're considering completely separate rosters, then I suppose so. Particularly for the football crazed schools that can't get enough.

Two things:

Totally separate rosters. Mainly trying to get your freshman & 3rd string players ready or try to develop QB depth. At the football crazy schools I could see them packing 15,000/game for 5-10 games per season against other football crazy schools. The ticket revenue could go to support the sport, equipment, turf, goal posts, uniforms, etc. At some schools you could draw 10,000 people just to watch pee wee football in SEC uniforms.

Then it wouldn't be totally separate rosters.

I don't think any football coach is going to let any of his players play on a varsity or club Arena team.

If it's varsity, you have title IX issues probably. If it's club, fine - but that's an expensive sport.
11-18-2015 10:24 AM
Advertisement

adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

I Root For: Louisville
(11-18-2015 09:02 AM)firmbizzle Wrote:  
(11-17-2015 11:40 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  Arena CFB would break the bank thanks to Title IX. You'd have to take on an ENORMOUS influx of deeply unprofitable women's sports. There are less than 10 schools nationwide that could swallow the cost of Skye and Mercedes playing women's organized hacky sack and curling with revenue made off Arena CFB.

I can't imagine too many players signing up to play arena football at a club level (i.e. no scholarship or insurance), nor do I think schools can charge admission for club sports. I don't know about the second one, that is just a guess, but arena football is not really more dangerous than regular football (in terms of injury rate), but still likely too risky for any athlete with a future to do for free. Which means that the only people involved would be players who were not good enough to be scholarship athletes at an FBS, FCS, and likely Div II school. Even in football crazy cultures, that is a stretch, even if you could charge. Professional arena football doesn't even make that much, and they have bonafied former college and pro players, some former stars.
(This post was last modified: 11-18-2015 10:41 AM by adcorbett.)
11-18-2015 10:39 AM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

(11-18-2015 10:39 AM)adcorbett Wrote:  

I can't imagine too many players signing up to play arena football at a club level (i.e. no scholarship or insurance), nor do I think schools can charge admission for club sports. I don't know about the second one, that is just a guess, but arena football is not really more dangerous than regular football (in terms of injury rate), but still likely too risky for any athlete with a future to do for free. Which means that the only people involved would be players who were not good enough to be scholarship athletes at an FBS, FCS, and likely Div II school. Even in football crazy cultures, that is a stretch, even if you could charge. Professional arena football doesn't even make that much, and they have bonafied former college and pro players, some former stars.

Not even for free. Club athletes have to pay. Gotta pay for a coach, gotta pay for equipment, gotta pay for insurance and in this case they'd have to pay the arena for games. Probably would have to buy an Arena turf and pay for it to be stored at the arena, as well.

Sounds unrealistic.
11-18-2015 10:43 AM
firmbizzle Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-18-2015 10:24 AM)MplsBison Wrote:  
(11-17-2015 08:05 PM)firmbizzle Wrote:  

Two things:

Then it wouldn't be totally separate rosters.

I don't think any football coach is going to let any of his players play on a varsity or club Arena team.

If it's varsity, you have title IX issues probably. If it's club, fine - but that's an expensive sport.

You aren't understanding the concept. You are a football coach that wants to develop a "JV" squad to improve future teams and provide depth. Your players are already on scholarship. This is a way to get them extra practice time under a completely different head coach. As far as the expense, it would be paid from ticket and concession sales.
(This post was last modified: 11-18-2015 11:40 AM by firmbizzle.)
11-18-2015 11:37 AM
firmbizzle Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-18-2015 10:39 AM)adcorbett Wrote:  

The players would be already on scholarship on the football team. Players that don't get a lot of playing time or will be in need in the fall. They aren't doing it for free. Think of it as extra practice.
11-18-2015 11:42 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.