Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

If, by chance, we are in the market for a head football coach soon...
JustAnotherAustinOwl Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rice Owls
If, by chance, we are in the market for a head football coach soon...
...how does Bailiff's 800k stack up in the market? Would we be looking at paying more or less?

For the purposes of this thread, I'm assuming he's gone (though I realize he might not be). We are already discussing his status in at least 73 other threads.

So, we would be competing with at least 11 (?) other FBS programs, and assuming some of the P5 schools hire G5 HCs, even more. Seems like those arguing for taking a chance on a young up and comer would get their wish - and it might even have to be someone not yet on a lot of people's radar.
11-16-2015 09:16 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

RiceLad15 Offline
Hall of Famer

RE: If, by chance, we are in the market for a head football coach soon...
(11-16-2015 09:16 AM)JustAnotherAustinOwl Wrote:  ...how does Bailiff's 800k stack up in the market? Would we be looking at paying more or less?

For the purposes of this thread, I'm assuming he's gone (though I realize he might not be). We are already discussing his status in at least 73 other threads.

So, we would be competing with at least 11 (?) other FBS programs, and assuming some of the P5 schools hire G5 HCs, even more. Seems like those arguing for taking a chance on a young up and comer would get their wish - and it might even have to be someone not yet on a lot of people's radar.

I read this article that discusses the class of coaches hired when Pinkel was hired at Mizzou. In it, it quotes the pay for the assistant coaches at Mizzou - $675k and $625k for offensive and defensive coordinators.

If we want to bring in a coordinator from a P5 school, we will almost certainly need to pay them more than what Bailiff is receiving now.

If we want to take a gamble on coordinator from a G5, we may be able to reduce the salary a bit, or at least keep it even.

If we do change coaches, I hope that we go with a P5 coordinator and provide a decent salary with some incentives that may help keep the base salary low. I think it is imperative to go out and get someone with name/program recognition following DB.
11-16-2015 09:25 AM
Orange County Owl Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice/Bradley/Iowa

New Orleans Bowl
I'm thinking the price of entry for what we're looking for is roughly $1.2mm and up.
(This post was last modified: 11-16-2015 10:23 AM by Orange County Owl.)
11-16-2015 10:05 AM
Tiki Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesNew Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
I think that would be a range where we could get some good interest. The biggest problem is the number of jobs open and that will become open.
11-16-2015 10:14 AM
loki_the_bubba Offline
Heisman

(11-16-2015 10:14 AM)Tiki Owl Wrote:  I think that would be a range where we could get some good interest. The biggest problem is the number of jobs open and that will become open.

All the more reason we should do it now if we're going to do it.
11-16-2015 10:19 AM
WIowl Offline
All American

I Root For:
New Orleans Bowl
(11-16-2015 10:19 AM)loki_the_bubba Wrote:  
(11-16-2015 10:14 AM)Tiki Owl Wrote:  I think that would be a range where we could get some good interest. The biggest problem is the number of jobs open and that will become open.

All the more reason we should do it now if we're going to do it.

Agree, plus it gives the team a chance to reset, regroup for the last two games. However, it's Monday and a change hasn't been made. I still do not think a change will be made after the season.
11-16-2015 10:25 AM
Advertisement

NolaOwl Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: RU, StL & NOL

New Orleans Bowl
Might be difficult to get a P5 coordinator to jump ship now if his team is in the hunt for a conference title or a top bowl bid. We might need the permission of the school to do so. The same conditions might also apply to good G5 head coaches.
11-16-2015 10:46 AM
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

I Root For: Rice

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlFootball GeniusCrappiesDonatorsDonators
I have thought for some time now that if Bailiff is to be fired this season, the ideal time would be between the 11th and 12th games.

1. Only one game under an interim coach - against Charlotte.
2. A head start on contacting people who may be interested.
3. Getting the news out there that we have an opening.
4. All a week earlier, and so an extra week for the next coach to keep recruits and transfer from leaving and do some recruiting of their own.

So, if it doesn't happen this week, and JK is still mulling it over, I presume a lot of y'all will be rooting (quietly in your hearts} for UTSA to beat us big and finish the job. A Rice win would leave us in the mix for a bowl again, and I know a lot of you don't want to do that. We are probably the only D1 school with a thread about turning down a bowl bid.

Be of good cheer, the end is near. IMO.

Regardless of who the coach is, I will be renewing my season tickets again.
11-16-2015 10:51 AM
waltgreenberg Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
(11-16-2015 10:46 AM)NolaOwl Wrote:  Might be difficult to get a P5 coordinator to jump ship now if his team is in the hunt for a conference title or a top bowl bid. We might need the permission of the school to do so. The same conditions might also apply to good G5 head coaches.

No one suggested hiring a new coach with just two games remaining; rather, get a head start on the search and pursuit of a new HC. However, given who we have as assistants, I think it's much more likely that JK waits until the end of the season, just as he did with Braun. This doesn't mean he hasn't already made the decision regarding DB, or that we'll wait in the identification and search efforts.
(This post was last modified: 11-16-2015 10:54 AM by waltgreenberg.)
11-16-2015 10:52 AM
Frizzy Owl Online
Heisman

OptimisticOwl Wrote:So, if it doesn't happen this week, and JK is still mulling it over, I presume a lot of y'all will be rooting (quietly in your hearts} for UTSA to beat us big and finish the job.

This is a disgusting tactic on your part.
11-16-2015 10:56 AM
waltgreenberg Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
I think "the job" is already finished; it's simply a question of when JK makes it official. As with the Braun situation, I think the most likely scenario is that we quietly start the search now-- and get the word out, but that DB does not get the axe until the season is over. Our assistants are all DB loyalists, and even worse than he is, IMO.
11-16-2015 11:00 AM
Advertisement

RiceLad15 Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-16-2015 11:00 AM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  I think "the job" is already finished; it's simply a question of when JK makes it official. As with the Braun situation, I think the most likely scenario is that we quietly start the search now-- and get the word out, but that DB does not get the axe until the season is over. Our assistants are all DB loyalists, and even worse than he is, IMO.

I hope to God this isn't what happens, as this could only end in disaster, IMO.

You have to hold off doing any sort of a coaching search until after you fire the current HC. So either fire DB now to get a head start, or wait until the season is done. But there would be nothing worse, IMO, than word getting out that Rice was looking for a new head coach, while DB was still gainfully employed and coaching. That would look completely tactless, tarnish our reputation, and give us a legitimate, lame-duck coach.
11-16-2015 11:03 AM
NolaOwl Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: RU, StL & NOL

New Orleans Bowl
(11-16-2015 10:56 AM)Frizzy Owl Wrote:  
OptimisticOwl Wrote:So, if it doesn't happen this week, and JK is still mulling it over, I presume a lot of y'all will be rooting (quietly in your hearts} for UTSA to beat us big and finish the job.

I will be rooting for us to finish at .500 by beating both UTSA and Charlotte. If that means we will get a Podunk Bowl, so be it. It will help the program. But in no way should this change the decision re Bailiff. Beating bottom feeders alone is not enough.
11-16-2015 11:06 AM
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

Tactic? what contest is we engaging in?

IMO, it is disgusting that some will feel that equivocation in their hearts, but realistic. Maybe it will just be a big silver lining to a small dark cloud. But if we win, the spectre of bailiff keeping his job by winning out arises. It's possible that the last two(3?) games are meaningless, the die is cast. But also possible JK is teetering. If so, some will want the push to come in a certain direction.

I am glad you are among those who will be happy if Bailiff finishes 6-6 and keeps his job.

Personally, as I have said for the last 4 or so years here, fire him or keep him, I will support the Rice coach and the Rice team.

Go Rice. Beat UTSA!
11-16-2015 11:08 AM
ESE84 Online
Heisman

I Root For: Rice then UH

New Orleans BowlDonators
(11-16-2015 11:00 AM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  I think "the job" is already finished; it's simply a question of when JK makes it official. As with the Braun situation, I think the most likely scenario is that we quietly start the search now-- and get the word out, but that DB does not get the axe until the season is over. Our assistants are all DB loyalists, and even worse than he is, IMO.

Isn't that what happened with the Rhoades hire? I wonder if JK is doing his homework now on football coaching candidates. Wasn't JK also able to negotiate some of the Braun contract buyout in kind of a soft landing for everyone involved?
11-16-2015 11:09 AM
JustAnotherAustinOwl Offline
1st String

(11-16-2015 11:08 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  

Tactic? what contest is we engaging in?

IMO, it is disgusting that some will feel that equivocation in their hearts, but realistic. Maybe it will just be a big silver lining to a small dark cloud. But if we win, the spectre of bailiff keeping his job by winning out arises. It's possible that the last two(3?) games are meaningless, the die is cast. But also possible JK is teetering. If so, some will want the push to come in a certain direction.

I am glad you are among those who will be happy if Bailiff finishes 6-6 and keeps his job.

Personally, as I have said for the last 4 or so years here, fire him or keep him, I will support the Rice coach and the Rice team.

Go Rice. Beat UTSA!

I hope that we end up 7-6 and Bailiff retires or moves on to his next endeavor on an up note. And equally or more important I want this set of seniors to go out winning. This can't be the way they wanted their final year to go, and they've given a lot to the program and the university.
11-16-2015 11:14 AM
Advertisement

ESE84 Online
Heisman

I Root For: Rice then UH

New Orleans BowlDonators
(11-16-2015 11:06 AM)NolaOwl Wrote:  I will be rooting for us to finish at .500 by beating both UTSA and Charlotte. If that means we will get a Podunk Bowl, so be it. It will help the program. But in no way should this change the decision re Bailiff. Beating bottom feeders alone is not enough.

Same here. And I noted much earlier in this season of our discontent that UH fired Tony Levine after he went 7-5 and won his bowl game, because that just wasn't good enough for where the Cougars wanted to take their football program.

Making a change after a 6-6 season sends a positive message about our commitment to football excellence, in my opinion.
11-16-2015 11:14 AM
Orange County Owl Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice/Bradley/Iowa

New Orleans Bowl

I'm not sure I'd go as far as disgusting but it definitely felt a little bit patronizing and condescending.
11-16-2015 11:19 AM
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

(11-16-2015 11:19 AM)Orange County Owl Wrote:  

I'm not sure I'd go as far as disgusting but it definitely felt a little bit patronizing and condescending.

Nobody yet has said it was inaccurate.
11-16-2015 11:23 AM
waltgreenberg Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
(11-16-2015 11:09 AM)ESE84 Wrote:  

Isn't that what happened with the Rhoades hire? I wonder if JK is doing his homework now on football coaching candidates. Wasn't JK also able to negotiate some of the Braun contract buyout in kind of a soft landing for everyone involved?

Yes, and yes. As for RiceLad's comments-- good grief, do you really think DB is going to be in the dark on this? Or do you honestly believe Braun actually resigned (as was the official, public words) as opposed to being told he was not going to be retained? DB is already a lame duck, whether he coaches out the season or not. The players have certainly quit on him.
11-16-2015 11:24 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.