Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

You can forget about Big Ten expansion
Bookmark and Share
Cat's_Claw Offline
All American

I Root For:

The Big Ten has NO interest in a championship game, a 12th is just another mouth to feed unless it's Notre Dame, and the Big Ten definitely doesn't need to expand/improve their market visibility.

<a href='http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review/sports/college/pennstate/s_361134.html' target='_blank'>Big Ten staying put</a>

By Sam Ross Jr.
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, August 7, 2005

A football championship game and a full round-robin schedule are two concepts that seem to be dead on arrival when it comes to the Big Ten Conference.
Let other conferences please the television types with championship games; the Big Ten will have none of it. Similarly, even next year, when teams are allowed to play 12-game schedules, making it possible for this 11-member conference to play a full round-robin schedule and have two openings left to schedule either rivals or pushovers, or one of each, the Big Ten will stay with the status quo.

Argued from the standpoint of attendance, where the Big Ten has three of the top four teams nationally in average home turnout -- Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State -- there's no need to change anything.

But from a competitive standpoint, having two or more teams sharing the conference championship five times in the past 10 seasons, is unsatisfying on some level. Last year, it was Michigan and Iowa. Two times in recent memory, 1998 and 2000, there have been three-way ties for the top spot.

Also, the existing system of having Big Ten teams play just eight conference games, leaving two opponents to be missed each season, creates disparity in schedule strength.

Purdue is being picked to contend for the Big Ten championship and garner national recognition this season partly because of 18 returning starters and partly because the Boilermakers will not play conference heavyweights Michigan and Ohio State.

Joe Tiller, the Purdue head coach, was defensive on the subject.

"Some years the schedule rolls your way, and some years it doesn't," he said. "There are a lot of very good teams in the conference, so I don't think you can make any assumptions about any teams."

Feel free to assume that playing traditional doormat Indiana and recently struggling Illinois instead of Michigan and Ohio State will help Purdue's winning percentage.

Not only does Penn State play both Ohio State and Michigan, the Nittany Lions play them back-to-back. Unfair?

"A little bit. Just a little bit," Lions quarterback Michael Robinson said. "That's just the way things happen. We can't control how the scheduling happens, or the fact that we don't have a conference (championship) game. I wish we did. That would be great for the Big Ten Conference."

Penn State's break this year is avoiding Iowa, but the Lions also don't get to play Indiana one of their four wins last season.

First-year Indiana coach Terry Hoeppner was a notable exception at conference media festivities. While others griped about the prospect of playing 12 games, Hoeppner said. "Let's play 14 games."

Former Steelers assistant and first-year Illinois head coach Ron Zook, is no fan of a conference title game.

"The championship game is a little bit of a double-edged sword for coaches," he said. "You can play extremely well throughout the conference schedule, and then you get to the championship game and if you have an injury or something, you stumble, then you can get thrown out of the mix."

Wisconsin coach Barry Alvarez panned the round-robin concept.

"I wouldn't be in favor of it," he said. "We talked about that years ago and I remember (former Ohio State coach) John Cooper bringing up the fact that the SEC doesn't have a round-robin and all the teams that go to bowls from that league. If you go to a round-robin you'll probably cost at least one team the opportunity to go to a bowl from your conference."

The SEC does, however, have a championship game and still sends a large contingent to bowls each year.

Joe Paterno, who long has supported a national championship playoff, doesn't like the concept of a 12th game, or adding Big Ten opposition in the regular season.

"The level of competition is so deep," he said.

Sam Ross Jr. can be reached at sross@tribweb.com or (724) 838-5144.

08-21-2005 02:24 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bronco_USA
Unregistered

So one coach in the Big Ten doesn't want a championship game and you think that would kill expansion? I would like to see the article get more input from other coaches.
08-21-2005 10:28 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Anonymous
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

KNIGHTTIME Wrote:So one coach in the Big Ten doesn't want a championship game and you think that would kill expansion? I would like to see the article get more input from other coaches.
Sorry but I agree with him. The Big Ten has made it clear on more than one occasion that they will not expand unless Notre Dame agrees to join. The Big Ten is already drowning in money and prestige so they can afford to wait and hold a spot open for when and if Notre Dame finally decides to join. Notre Dame is the only school that would add enough to make Big Ten expansion palatable.
08-22-2005 07:55 AM
EastStang Offline
All American

I Root For:

If I'm the BE, I'm working on Penn State and trying to get them to join. They have old rivalries with Pitt and WVa. They are tired of losing. This would give them an easier road to get Joe Pa a few more victories and safe face in doing it. I agree that no way the Big 10 expands unless its ND.
08-23-2005 03:46 PM
Bronco_USA
Unregistered

Penn State always looked at Pitt like they are better than them. No way will Penn State leave an established league like the Big Ten for a league in flux.
08-23-2005 05:12 PM
Advertisement

South Tampa Knight Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

Why in the hell would Penn State want to jump from the Big Ten to the Big East. Penn State makes five times the money from the Big Ten than it would from the Big East. Also, that would be one huge step backwards.
08-23-2005 07:49 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

EastStang Wrote:If I'm the BE, I'm working on Penn State and trying to get them to join. They have old rivalries with Pitt and WVa. They are tired of losing. This would give them an easier road to get Joe Pa a few more victories and safe face in doing it. I agree that no way the Big 10 expands unless its ND.
Penn State is not going to the Big East. The reason is simple: the Big 10 makes at least 3 times as much money as the Big East and Penn State is not voluntarily going to take such a pay cut.
08-23-2005 10:04 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

South Tampa Knight Wrote:Why in the hell would Penn State want to jump from the Big Ten to the Big East. Penn State makes five times the money from the Big Ten than it would from the Big East. Also, that would be one huge step backwards.
Exactly. People just don't understand that in the world of intercollegiate athletics its all about money and that trumps everything else. I cannot imagine Penn State would willingly give up not only the money the Big 10 offers but the prestige of being aligned with such national powers as Michigan and Ohio State in order to go slumming with Cincinnati, Louisville, Rutgers, Connecticut, South Florida, etc...
08-23-2005 10:08 PM
EastStang Offline
All American

I Root For:

Will PSU win a national championship anytime soon out of the Big Ten? No. Out of the Big East? Its a whole lot easier to go 8-0 in the BE than the Big Ten. I agree that they will keep the $$$, but they will do so being neck and neck with Indiana for the Big Ten doormat.
08-24-2005 10:18 AM
Advertisement

ThisboardisDEAD
Unregistered

EastStang Wrote:Will PSU win a national championship anytime soon out of the Big Ten? No. Out of the Big East? Its a whole lot easier to go 8-0 in the BE than the Big Ten. I agree that they will keep the $$$, but they will do so being neck and neck with Indiana for the Big Ten doormat.
The Penn State teams of late would not win the Big East, not even finish 2nd in the BE.

Now PSU did have some good teams when they first joined the Big Ten. I remember a huge game between them and Michigan when both teams were ranked in the Top 5 in the country. If Penn State goes back to that level they have just as good of a chance of winning the NC as OSU and UM do. And in the Big Ten there is a much better chance of being the 2nd best Big Ten team and still going to a BCS bowl game. That ain't gonna happen in the BE.
08-24-2005 01:46 PM
L0b0bl4st Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

Freddy The Freshman Wrote:Exactly.&nbsp; People just don't understand that in the world of intercollegiate athletics its all about money and that trumps everything else.&nbsp; I cannot imagine Penn State would willingly give up not only the money the Big 10 offers but the prestige of being aligned with such national powers as Michigan and Ohio State in order to go slumming with Cincinnati, Louisville, Rutgers, Connecticut, South Florida, etc...
Great, so now you know why TCU decided to join the MWC!!! 04-rock
08-25-2005 07:11 PM
Bronco_USA
Unregistered

L0b0bl4st Wrote:
Freddy The Freshman Wrote:Exactly.&nbsp; People just don't understand that in the world of intercollegiate athletics its all about money and that trumps everything else.&nbsp; I cannot imagine Penn State would willingly give up not only the money the Big 10 offers but the prestige of being aligned with such national powers as Michigan and Ohio State in order to go slumming with Cincinnati, Louisville, Rutgers, Connecticut, South Florida, etc...
Actually the C-USA makes more $$$, more bowls, more T.V coverage, and more everything than the MWC.

The MWC is a good conference, but your T.V revenue stinks...You better hope CSTV doesn't tank...
08-25-2005 07:32 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

L0b0bl4st Wrote:
Freddy The Freshman Wrote:Exactly.  People just don't understand that in the world of intercollegiate athletics its all about money and that trumps everything else.  I cannot imagine Penn State would willingly give up not only the money the Big 10 offers but the prestige of being aligned with such national powers as Michigan and Ohio State in order to go slumming with Cincinnati, Louisville, Rutgers, Connecticut, South Florida, etc...
We couldn't care less about TCU, the MWC, or why TCU moved there. All you need to know is that UTEP has no interest in your league whatsoever.
08-25-2005 09:50 PM
Advertisement

Anonymous
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

KNIGHTTIME Wrote:
L0b0bl4st Wrote:
Freddy The Freshman Wrote:Exactly.  People just don't understand that in the world of intercollegiate athletics its all about money and that trumps everything else.  I cannot imagine Penn State would willingly give up not only the money the Big 10 offers but the prestige of being aligned with such national powers as Michigan and Ohio State in order to go slumming with Cincinnati, Louisville, Rutgers, Connecticut, South Florida, etc...
Actually the C-USA makes more $$$, more bowls, more T.V coverage, and more everything than the MWC.

The MWC is a good conference, but your T.V revenue stinks...You better hope CSTV doesn't tank...
Bingo. They have 3 bowls, no basketball money, zero teams ranked, and their only tv contract is with CSTV. They have a long ways to go before anyone is going to be envious.
08-25-2005 09:54 PM
L0b0bl4st Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

Quote:Freddy The Freshman,Aug 23 2005, 10:08 PM]

Actually the C-USA makes more $$$, more bowls, more T.V coverage, and more everything than the MWC.&nbsp; &nbsp;

The MWC is a good conference, but your T.V revenue stinks...You better hope CSTV doesn't tank...&nbsp; &nbsp;

Actually you are incorrect. With the new TV contracts that MWC and CUSA signed. MWC teams will get $1.2 MM per year compared to CUSA teams getting a little over 900K (that includes both ESPN and CSTV contracts COMBINED!!!)

As far as bowls are concerned, lets not kid ourselves, both conferences came out losing their highest paying bowl (LB Bowl). I'll be the first one to admit, MWC had a bigger setback since our administration was hoping to land the Insight Bowl, keep Emerald and have a total of 5 bowls.....for a 9 team nonBCS conference, IMO that would have been an excellent mark and very tough to get as it showed!!!
Now we only have 3 bowls, CUSA only has 2 more but your league has 3 more teams so of course you better to have more bowls.

Lastly, YOU better hope CSTV doesn't "tank" either, might i remind you CUSA will now generate exactly 72% of its new TV income from the deal with CSTV?? ESPN is NOT your #1 source of revenue anyomore, they will only be paying CUSA a little over $3 MM per year.
08-26-2005 03:31 AM
Bronco_USA
Unregistered

L0b0bl4st Wrote:
Quote:Freddy The Freshman,Aug 23 2005, 10:08 PM]

Actually the C-USA makes more $$$, more bowls, more T.V coverage, and more everything than the MWC.&nbsp; &nbsp;

The MWC is a good conference, but your T.V revenue stinks...You better hope CSTV doesn't tank...&nbsp; &nbsp;

Actually you are incorrect. With the new TV contracts that MWC and CUSA signed. MWC teams will get $1.2 MM per year compared to CUSA teams getting a little over 900K (that includes both ESPN and CSTV contracts COMBINED!!!)

As far as bowls are concerned, lets not kid ourselves, both conferences came out losing their highest paying bowl (LB Bowl). I'll be the first one to admit, MWC had a bigger setback since our administration was hoping to land the Insight Bowl, keep Emerald and have a total of 5 bowls.....for a 9 team nonBCS conference, IMO that would have been an excellent mark and very tough to get as it showed!!!
Now we only have 3 bowls, CUSA only has 2 more but your league has 3 more teams so of course you better to have more bowls.

Lastly, YOU better hope CSTV doesn't "tank" either, might i remind you CUSA will now generate exactly 72% of its new TV income from the deal with CSTV?? ESPN is NOT your #1 source of revenue anyomore, they will only be paying CUSA a little over $3 MM per year.
No actually we now increased our T.V package to ESPN, PAX, CSTV....We are not holding out for a company that might not be around.

You guys had poor ratings. That doesn't mean the MWC is bad, but the time zone issue is huge.
08-26-2005 03:47 PM
WhatsaGoldenKnight Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

Freddy The Freshman Wrote:
KNIGHTTIME Wrote:So one coach in the Big Ten doesn't want a championship game and you think that would kill expansion?&nbsp; I would like to see the article get more input from other coaches.
Sorry but I agree with him. The Big Ten has made it clear on more than one occasion that they will not expand unless Notre Dame agrees to join. The Big Ten is already drowning in money and prestige so they can afford to wait and hold a spot open for when and if Notre Dame finally decides to join. Notre Dame is the only school that would add enough to make Big Ten expansion palatable.
Well, you know what? My theory is that ND was on the ropes. I think they had a major reality check when Urban Meyer turned them down that they weren't the mythical, storied institution that they once were. They very well could have began tossing around the idea of joining the Big Ten then.

Then NBC came around, stuck their nose up ND's a$$ again, and they're back to square one. :bang:
08-26-2005 04:24 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.