Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NC State
Bookmark and Share
zablenoise Online
Heisman

I Root For: William & Mary
NC State
Since the game is only a few days away I figured that it was time to get a game thread put together.

The good news is that NC State graduated three players from last year's squad but the bad news is that they still have (former Crabber) Cat Barber, who is the real deal. The Wolfpack are also very big and have a lot of depth down low which may cause some matchup problems for us. Meanwhile the identical twin Martin brothers will cause some problems for me as I won't be able to figure out who is who. The other intriguing story line will be the reunion of Oliver Tot and Abdul-Malik Abu who were high school teammates. I think this will be an extremely difficult test for the Tribe but should be a good litmus test of where we are this year. Thoughts on where we might exploit an advantage in this one?
11-11-2015 01:44 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

mrjoolius Offline
Hall of Famer

RE: NC State
I think the tribe will look to push the ball and run. If NC State wants to get into that type of game it could limit the effectiveness of their inside players. I'm not sure the Tribe can stop them defensively, but should be able to match their scoring. Bottom line, we need to make shots.
11-11-2015 06:28 AM
NC Tribe Offline
1st String

I Root For: W&M, JMU
(11-11-2015 06:28 AM)mrjoolius Wrote:  I think the tribe will look to push the ball and run. If NC State wants to get into that type of game it could limit the effectiveness of their inside players. I'm not sure the Tribe can stop them defensively, but should be able to match their scoring. Bottom line, we need to make shots.

Lots of 3 point shots.
11-11-2015 08:11 AM
billymac Offline
Heisman

It will be interesting to see how the rules changes affects the flow of the game. The general consensus is that November games will probably suffer through a high number of trips to the foul line as the "freedom of movement" issue is a Point of Emphasis for referees this season, as well as the shortened 30 clock, thus causing longer games.

The underlying problem is that some of a team's key scorers (usually the guards) may get several quick fouls and have to head to the bench, thus changing teams offenses and game plan.

Also, the 30 second clock will cause many teams to institute the 2-2-1 Zone Press to slow down the opposing offense, giving them less time to work a play. I heard that an effective zone press can cut down the actual time for running a play to 15-17 seconds, so scores could actually be lower during the early season, despite rules changes to make them go up. Once players adjust to the new rules, the true freedom of movement (much needed) initiative should do what it was supposed to accomplish.

Hopefully, we get good quality refs on Friday night.
11-11-2015 09:01 AM
Tribeheart Offline
Heisman

State does not have much depth inside. Exhibitions may not be indicative, but their 3 big men (6'8", 6'8", 6'9") got into foul trouble in less than 20 minutes of play last Sunday. Abu, Anya and Freeman will have to show they can guard on the perimeter. Anya is much slimmed down, but went 0-5 from FT line. Expect them at times to play a smaller lineup. Key will be our ability to handle any full court pressure from them which we should be in good shape for. Will learn a lot about this team right out of the gate, since this may be a winnable game if this team is ready to take the next step. State picked to finish 8th in ACC.
(This post was last modified: 11-11-2015 12:35 PM by Tribeheart.)
11-11-2015 12:30 PM
TribePride91 Offline
All American

I Root For: W&M Tribe
(11-11-2015 12:30 PM)Tribeheart Wrote:  State does not have much depth inside. Exhibitions may not be indicative, but their 3 big men got into foul trouble in less than 20 minutes of play last Sunday. Anya is much slimmed down, but went 0-5 from FT line. Expect them at times to play a smaller lineup. Key will be our ability to handle any full court pressure from them which we should be in good shape for. Will learn a lot about this team right out of the gate, since this may be a winnable game if this team is ready to take the next step. State picked to finish 8th in ACC.

I'd love to see that, but I would be surprised. I am not expecting either of our games at ACC foes to be close. I do expect us to beat Liberty Tuesday night though.
11-11-2015 12:33 PM
Advertisement

TribeNiner Offline
1st String

I Root For: Niners/WM/Hoyas
Looks like I'm going to have two extra behind the basket (Section 127, Row X), if anyone is interested in buying them PM me. Will sell the pair fairly cheap to a Tribe fan. Fairly pricey to a Wolfpack fan.
11-11-2015 03:15 PM
Sitting bull Offline
All American

I Root For: W&M
Tribe 11 point underdogs.
11-12-2015 10:12 PM
Tribal Offline

8pm on ESPN3.
11-12-2015 10:18 PM
nj alum Offline
Petulant

I Root For: william & mary
Looking forward to tonight's game, and the rest of the season.

Go Tribe! Beat the Pack!
11-13-2015 07:50 AM
Tribeheart Offline
Heisman

"The Wolfpack will need to contain the Tribe’s numerous scorers and avoid dumb mistakes early to avoid losing to a dangerous opening opponent. With so many new faces rotating in and out of the lineup, an adjustment period is expected for the Wolfpack. NC State head coach Mark Gottfried needs to ensure that the team doesn’t stay in neutral too long, or the season could start in a very bad way." (NC State student newspaper)
http://www.technicianonline.com/sports/a...15ea4.html

Go Dangerous Tribe!
(This post was last modified: 11-13-2015 09:39 AM by Tribeheart.)
11-13-2015 09:39 AM
Advertisement

Mrs. Got Ribe Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Tribe
Looking forward to watching in person tonight. Some nice alum hooked us up with courtside seats!

I hope it won't be too rude to show up in our Tribe gear--kinda like Elaine at the Yankees game.
11-13-2015 10:53 AM
zablenoise Online
Heisman

(11-13-2015 10:53 AM)Mrs. Got Ribe Wrote:  Looking forward to watching in person tonight. Some nice alum hooked us up with courtside seats!

I hope it won't be too rude to show up in our Tribe gear--kinda like Elaine at the Yankees game.
Just don't get thrown out like Elaine
11-13-2015 11:02 AM
NC Tribe Offline
1st String

I Root For: W&M, JMU
(11-13-2015 11:02 AM)zablenoise Wrote:  
(11-13-2015 10:53 AM)Mrs. Got Ribe Wrote:  Looking forward to watching in person tonight. Some nice alum hooked us up with courtside seats!

Roy Williams not coaching NC State, so you should be OK, unlike the Presbyterian fan that Roy got tossed at the Dean Dome.
11-13-2015 11:22 AM
TribeNiner Offline
1st String

I Root For: Niners/WM/Hoyas
(11-13-2015 11:22 AM)NC Tribe Wrote:  
(11-13-2015 11:02 AM)zablenoise Wrote:  

Roy Williams not coaching NC State, so you should be OK, unlike the Presbyterian fan that Roy got tossed at the Dean Dome.

In Roy's defense- that Presby fan was not pulling for the Tarholes!
11-13-2015 01:28 PM
formertribe Offline
Water Engineer

At NC State they toss out their own: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zhHTpzJMpE

Chris Corchiani, incidentally, is calling the game tonight.

Karl Hess is the worst.
11-13-2015 01:56 PM
Advertisement

zablenoise Online
Heisman

(11-13-2015 01:56 PM)formertribe Wrote:  At NC State they toss out their own: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zhHTpzJMpE

Chris Corchiani, incidentally, is calling the game tonight.

Karl Hess is the worst.

I may have to mute the game tonight then
11-13-2015 02:21 PM
Mrs. Got Ribe Offline
1st String

Tot in street clothes
11-13-2015 07:19 PM
billymac Offline
Heisman

Coach said we have some injuries that will be game time decisions.
11-13-2015 07:47 PM
Mrs. Got Ribe Offline
1st String

Everybody else is warming up. Sheldon was on the bench for a little bit.
11-13-2015 07:50 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.