Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

CFP Selection will be delayed to December 13th if Navy is highest-rated G5 Champ ...
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
CFP Selection will be delayed to December 13th if Navy is highest-rated G5 Champ ...
... CFP Director Bill Hancock said today that if Navy wins the AAC title on December 5th, the selection of the G5 Access Bowl representative will be delayed until after the Army-Navy game on December 12th.

This also means that the selection of the 4 playoff participants will also NOT be made until December 13th either. The committee is not going to pick the 4 playoff participants on December 7 and only wait to pick the G5 team on December 13. The selection of the 4 playoff teams will not take place by December 7th as is now planned, the committee will deliberate all the way up until December 13th.

Would set the stage for LOTS of politicking over those 8-9 days between the playing of the P5 titles games and that selection date. ....
(This post was last modified: 11-08-2015 11:43 AM by quo vadis.)
11-08-2015 11:41 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

He1nousOne Offline
The One you Love to Hate.

I Root For: Iowa/ASU
RE: CFP Selection will be delayed to December 13th if Navy is highest-rated G5 Champ ...
Yeah, I'm sure ESPN put them up to this. It is an easy sell to make for Patriotism sake but in reality ESPN is going to drool over having that extra week to talk talk talk about the final selections.
11-08-2015 11:43 AM
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
RE: CFP Selection will be delayed to December 13th if Navy is highest-rated G5 Champ ...
Did he say they wouldn't select until the 13th the playoff participants, or is that your conjecture?
11-08-2015 11:48 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(11-08-2015 11:48 AM)stever20 Wrote:  Did he say they wouldn't select until the 13th the playoff participants, or is that your conjecture?

That's what Heather Dinich said on ESPNU's "College Football Sunday". She said she talked with Bill Hancock today, and she was clear that the playoff participant selection, not just the G5 Access selection, would wait until December 13th.
11-08-2015 11:55 AM
He1nousOne Offline

Not all that worried about it yet. Now, if Navy beats Houston then this will happen but I would bet on Houston in that game. If Navy loses there then this is all just ESPN talk and nothing more.
11-08-2015 11:58 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(11-08-2015 11:58 AM)He1nousOne Wrote:  Not all that worried about it yet. Now, if Navy beats Houston then this will happen but I would bet on Houston in that game. If Navy loses there then this is all just ESPN talk and nothing more.

Of course it all depends on Navy winning the AAC and that may not happen. Have to beat Houston and then also probably Temple in AAC title game.

But at this point there's a decent chance it might, so worth discussing.
11-08-2015 12:01 PM
Advertisement

He1nousOne Offline

(11-08-2015 12:01 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(11-08-2015 11:58 AM)He1nousOne Wrote:  Not all that worried about it yet. Now, if Navy beats Houston then this will happen but I would bet on Houston in that game. If Navy loses there then this is all just ESPN talk and nothing more.

Of course it all depends on Navy winning the AAC and that may not happen. Have to beat Houston and then also probably Temple in AAC title game.

Which is why ESPN broke the news instead of Long himself during one of his interviews. Its worth discussing but not that big of a deal yet.
11-08-2015 12:02 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

well 2 things....
1- pretty good shot that Navy does beat Houston and Temple in the CCG. Really tough to beat the triple option the first time you really have seen it.....
2- I wouldn't say that it's ESPN talk by any stretch of the imagination. Navy winning is a very valid possibility....

Only thing you wonder....
Lets say 3 loss La Tech or Southern Miss win CUSA...
3 Loss W Michigan wins MAC
3 loss San Diego St wins MWC
3 loss Arkansas St wins SBC

and Navy is 11-1 and AAC champs on selection Sunday....

Think VERY possible they could say that Navy is in regardless. I think the committee would at least be polled on that.
11-08-2015 12:04 PM
pirates4lyfe Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Pirates
Hell ESPN would be thrilled if this happened. They'd get more time to discuss and break down who should be in or out.
11-08-2015 12:05 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

(11-08-2015 12:02 PM)He1nousOne Wrote:  

Which is why ESPN broke the news instead of Long himself during one of his interviews. Its worth discussing but not that big of a deal yet.
but Navy became a LOT more of an option this week.
11-08-2015 12:05 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(11-08-2015 12:04 PM)stever20 Wrote:  well 2 things....
1- pretty good shot that Navy does beat Houston and Temple in the CCG. Really tough to beat the triple option the first time you really have seen it.....
2- I wouldn't say that it's ESPN talk by any stretch of the imagination. Navy winning is a very valid possibility....

Only thing you wonder....
Lets say 3 loss La Tech or Southern Miss win CUSA...
3 Loss W Michigan wins MAC
3 loss San Diego St wins MWC
3 loss Arkansas St wins SBC

and Navy is 11-1 and AAC champs on selection Sunday....

Think VERY possible they could say that Navy is in regardless. I think the committee would at least be polled on that.

That's probably true (about Navy being in regardless), but I still think the committee will wait. I mean, what if they go ahead and pick Navy and then Army beats them 63-0? The optics would be very bad.

Safer just to wait until all the games are played.
11-08-2015 12:08 PM
Advertisement

Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse

Here is where it gets interesting for Temple. Normally they be at a disadvantage having to go on the road for a championship game at Houston or Cincinnati but going on the road to Navy is only a 2 hour trip.

AAC Championship game would be a practical home game for Temple whether they host or go on the road to play Navy.
11-08-2015 12:10 PM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
(11-08-2015 12:05 PM)stever20 Wrote:  
(11-08-2015 12:02 PM)He1nousOne Wrote:  

but Navy became a LOT more of an option this week.

Yep.
11-08-2015 12:11 PM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville
04-jawdrop December 13th, 2015 -- a date which will live in infamy -- the P5 was suddenly and deliberately attacked by Navy of the Empire of The G5 and American Conference. 07-coffee3
(This post was last modified: 11-08-2015 12:20 PM by Wilkie01.)
11-08-2015 12:20 PM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

I Root For: NDSU/Minnesota
So why do we allow Navy and Army to play a special game, a week after the regular season has ended?

While I haven't verified it myself, some people on here have commented that playing a week after the end of the regular season is not a long standing tradition, and is actually a recent change.

Are Navy - Air Force and Army - Air Force meaningless games, because they're played during the regular season?
11-08-2015 12:31 PM
BamaScorpio69 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Non-AQs
(11-08-2015 12:08 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  I mean, what if they go ahead and pick Navy and then Army beats them 63-0?

That's like saying what if I bought Precious..........

[Image: Gabourey-Gabby-Sidibe-Pre-001.jpg]

a rotisserie chicken and she said she didn't want it?

NOT GONNA HAPPEN!!!
11-08-2015 12:38 PM
Advertisement

quo vadis Offline
Legend

(11-08-2015 12:38 PM)BamaScorpio69 Wrote:  
(11-08-2015 12:08 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  I mean, what if they go ahead and pick Navy and then Army beats them 63-0?

That's like saying what if I bought Precious..........

NOT GONNA HAPPEN!!!

Just this season, we've seen all kinds of stone-cold miracle endings that had about a 1% chance of happening.

The committee will play it safe and wait. Trust me, LOL. 07-coffee3
11-08-2015 12:58 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(11-08-2015 11:55 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(11-08-2015 11:48 AM)stever20 Wrote:  Did he say they wouldn't select until the 13th the playoff participants, or is that your conjecture?

That's what Heather Dinich said on ESPNU's "College Football Sunday". She said she talked with Bill Hancock today, and she was clear that the playoff participant selection, not just the G5 Access selection, would wait until December 13th.

The way they do their system, it completely disrupts it if one team isn't final. You can't just plug and play. They look at teams in traunches.
11-08-2015 01:01 PM
nickp Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: ohio state
Navy victory at Houston on the day after Thanksgiving could push the bowls' nightmare scenario into play
11-08-2015 01:03 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(11-08-2015 01:03 PM)nickp Wrote:  Navy victory at Houston on the day after Thanksgiving could push the bowls' nightmare scenario into play

Yes, this would really screw with all the bowls, even the big ones. But especially the small ones. Far less time to market themselves.
11-08-2015 01:11 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.