Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

MBB 3 Point Club
91Owl Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Owls
MBB 3 Point Club
First post on this message board, so bear with me. I have been an Owl Club member for 20+ years, season ticket holder in football and baseball for 10+ years, and lurked on this message board for as long as it’s been around and the Owlzone before that. I worked in the athletic department 4 years in college, kept stats, wrote media guides and press releases, and broadcast baseball games on KTRU for 7 seasons. I haven’t posted much, because my passion for Rice sports doesn’t often translate to the written word that well. Like many Rice fans on this board, I’ve felt my passion waning a bit lately – probably for a variety of reasons.

I’ve never joined one of the special interest groups, such as the RBI or Extra Point Club. Tonight I went to a 3 Point Club kickoff meeting at Tudor Fieldhouse. During that meeting, something changed. It’s the first time in a long time I felt I could make a difference in Rice athletics. So I made the commitment to basketball. The reasons were twofold. First, the coach and team. Seeing and feeling coach Rhoades’ enthusiasm, passion and love for his coaches and squad was infectious. Meeting the players made me proud to be a Rice graduate. These guys are truly impressive. They make the Rice ring we wear more valuable by the way they represent our University on AND off the court. And they are getting more talented each year. They play hard. This team WILL win and will big. The second reason I pledged my support is because I believe Rice Athletics is at a tipping point. Basketball, in my opinion, is the sport which can push us to where we want to be. This is a program which not only needs our support, it’s the program where our support can make the biggest difference in terms of Rice’s place in college athletics. Conference affiliation doesn’t hold us down in basketball nearly as much as it does in other sports. We can win, and win quickly, and get to where we want to be. But basketball needs US.

I was at Coach Graham’s first press conference in 1991 when he told the assemblage that we would be in Omaha. I got the same feeling tonight. Coach Rhoades held up a program from the 1970 NCAA tournament. He said he was framing it in his office and leaving room next to it for some new ones. The message was implicit.

We have the facility. We have the coach. We need the support to help this program get there. If you’ve never joined one of these groups – NOW is the time to get in on the ground floor. I truly believe it will make a difference. And if we are at a tipping point – let’s tip this in the right direction.

Paul Agosta, Rice 1991
11-05-2015 11:43 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Rick Gerlach Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
The Parliament AwardsCrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
RE: MBB 3 Point Club
(11-05-2015 11:43 PM)91Owl Wrote:  First post on this message board, so bear with me. I have been an Owl Club member for 20+ years, season ticket holder in football and baseball for 10+ years, and lurked on this message board for as long as it’s been around and the Owlzone before that. I worked in the athletic department 4 years in college, kept stats, wrote media guides and press releases, and broadcast baseball games on KTRU for 7 seasons. I haven’t posted much, because my passion for Rice sports doesn’t often translate to the written word that well. Like many Rice fans on this board, I’ve felt my passion waning a bit lately – probably for a variety of reasons.

I’ve never joined one of the special interest groups, such as the RBI or Extra Point Club. Tonight I went to a 3 Point Club kickoff meeting at Tudor Fieldhouse. During that meeting, something changed. It’s the first time in a long time I felt I could make a difference in Rice athletics. So I made the commitment to basketball. The reasons were twofold. First, the coach and team. Seeing and feeling coach Rhoades’ enthusiasm, passion and love for his coaches and squad was infectious. Meeting the players made me proud to be a Rice graduate. These guys are truly impressive. They make the Rice ring we wear more valuable by the way they represent our University on AND off the court. And they are getting more talented each year. They play hard. This team WILL win and will big. The second reason I pledged my support is because I believe Rice Athletics is at a tipping point. Basketball, in my opinion, is the sport which can push us to where we want to be. This is a program which not only needs our support, it’s the program where our support can make the biggest difference in terms of Rice’s place in college athletics. Conference affiliation doesn’t hold us down in basketball nearly as much as it does in other sports. We can win, and win quickly, and get to where we want to be. But basketball needs US.

I was at Coach Graham’s first press conference in 1991 when he told the assemblage that we would be in Omaha. I got the same feeling tonight. Coach Rhoades held up a program from the 1970 NCAA tournament. He said he was framing it in his office and leaving room next to it for some new ones. The message was implicit.

We have the facility. We have the coach. We need the support to help this program get there. If you’ve never joined one of these groups – NOW is the time to get in on the ground floor. I truly believe it will make a difference. And if we are at a tipping point – let’s tip this in the right direction.

Paul Agosta, Rice 1991

Great stuff. Chris Del Conte's belief about basketball may be finally coming to fruition.
11-06-2015 12:16 AM
waltgreenberg Offline
Legend

I Root For: Rice Owls

The Parliament Awards
04-cheers
(11-05-2015 11:43 PM)91Owl Wrote:  First post on this message board, so bear with me. I have been an Owl Club member for 20+ years, season ticket holder in football and baseball for 10+ years, and lurked on this message board for as long as it’s been around and the Owlzone before that. I worked in the athletic department 4 years in college, kept stats, wrote media guides and press releases, and broadcast baseball games on KTRU for 7 seasons. I haven’t posted much, because my passion for Rice sports doesn’t often translate to the written word that well. Like many Rice fans on this board, I’ve felt my passion waning a bit lately – probably for a variety of reasons.

Paul Agosta, Rice 1991

04-cheers
11-06-2015 01:41 AM
georgewebb Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice!
The Parliament AwardsDonators

Paul Agosta, Rice 1991

Helluva first post!
11-06-2015 07:50 AM
JustAnotherAustinOwl Offline
1st String

Paul Agosta, Rice 1991

Great to hear!

What's the entry fee to join? I'm weighing getting season tickets and donating them, but probably can't do both. Which is more important for supporting the program?
11-06-2015 09:44 AM
bobreinhold1 Offline
1st String

$1000 to join, $500 if you're under 30. Season tickets are $399 for the lower level and I think $199 for upper. Not sure how much end zone are but you can find it on riceowls.com. Mike says the most important thing right now is support by being in the seats. So far we're over $40,000 for the RBI CLub but it will grow. It's a lot better than the RBI Club its first year or the original 3 Point under Scott Thompson.
11-06-2015 10:01 AM
Advertisement

Tiki Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesNew Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
(11-06-2015 10:01 AM)bobreinhold1 Wrote:  $1000 to join, $500 if you're under 30. Season tickets are $399 for the lower level and I think $199 for upper. Not sure how much end zone are but you can find it on riceowls.com. Mike says the most important thing right now is support by being in the seats. So far we're over $40,000 for the RBI CLub but it will grow. It's a lot better than the RBI Club its first year or the original 3 Point under Scott Thompson.

Bob means $40K in the 3PT Club.

One thing Rhoades stresses about the 3PT Club is that the money benefits the student athletes whether it be in better training equipment, better meals on the road, or any number of other things that will make it easier to improve the team. It isn't about climbing walls, waterfalls in the lounge, or charter flights. As he again said last night Rice has a great arena it doesn't need a new 15K building or any fancy extras. There was a list prepared by Grant Bousley, MBB Director of Operations, that shows where the money goes and what things are needed.

It was great to see a number of former MBB'ers in attendance last night. Some like Torey Andrews had been around some but others like Tony Barnett and Jarvis Kelly are being brought back into the program (much through the efforts of Coach Hartman). Rhoades is big on his players meeting and interacting with Rice alumni and supporters and seeing successful former MBB'ers. They are reminded of that every time they go into the player's lounge donated by Kevin Rabbit, Tudor Fieldhouse, Youngkin Learning Center, Trauber Suite, or eating better on the road thanks to Chad Michael.

The parallels to Scott Thompson's building the program on the floor and in the stands was mentioned quite often last night. It was driven home when Adam Peakes was kidded by Rhoades when the Rhoades family had dinner with the Peakes and as Rhoades said "the Adam Peakes highlight reel was on every TV in the house". Adam said while that was true it was to show what a full Autry Court looked like during the Jungle Gym era.

As to the question of where would your money would mean the most, IMHO if you are comfortable contributing to the 3PT Club then do so. Out of town ticket buyers do help and Shu will make sure they get used or you can set up your own ticket give away as we have done with tickets purchased by Walt and Orange County Owl. Anyway you support the program will be greatly appreciated by the staff and players. If you just have a few dollars lying around get in touch with Graham and he will be happy to assist you. Last year our ticket give away produced around $150 in donations that we gave to the program so any amount is helpful.
(This post was last modified: 11-06-2015 11:03 AM by Tiki Owl.)
11-06-2015 10:58 AM
cr11owl Offline
All American

I Root For: Rice
(11-06-2015 10:01 AM)bobreinhold1 Wrote:  $1000 to join, $500 if you're under 30. Season tickets are $399 for the lower level and I think $199 for upper. Not sure how much end zone are but you can find it on riceowls.com. Mike says the most important thing right now is support by being in the seats. So far we're over $40,000 for the RBI CLub but it will grow. It's a lot better than the RBI Club its first year or the original 3 Point under Scott Thompson.

Good to know. This year I went for the renew my season ticket + 1 new one so I can try to bring people to the game that wouldn't normally go. If we keep trending up like I think we will the 3pt club might be my next step.

It's been brought up before that specific sports funds don't count towards owl club benefits but the department was looking into changing it... Where does that stand?
11-06-2015 11:17 AM
bobreinhold1 Offline
1st String

It was a fun night. There was electricity in the air. Everyone was pumped for the season to begin. I talked with every player and coach there, and we really have quality people. I was told awhile back that Mike liked being at Rice because on road trips he could have actual conversations with players on subjects besides basketball. At the scrimmage the other day as well as last night players had to leave because they had classes. I was told that Chad Lott would have been our best freshman recruit and that he will be a great player. He had successful surgery Tuesday. Marcus Evans seems to be the next great one and he's pushing Bishop Mency for a starting spot. We started very slowly in our scrimmage against Nichols State. The freshmen seemed in awe at first and the veterans just hadn't played in so long. But we quickly picked up the pace. (this from a starter last year) Coach said Andrew Drone probably had the most basketball knowledge on the team. Said it was unusual for a post man to know where all 5 players were supposed to be on every play. Apparently Max knows that too. It is really inspiring to hear Mike Rhoades speak. He pumps up every player to get the best out of them (see Seth Gerhardt and Daniel Peera) Mike's philosophy is attack, attack, attack. He doesn't care who we're playing if we can outwork them and play our game we'll be fine. The question keeps coming up about playing UT, etc. We are trying to play any of our old SWC foes. We have to get the RPI up. They'll play us if losing to us won't drag down their RPI. I'm sure some others may have some nuggets to throw in, but I just wanted to try and give a feel to what we experienced last night.
11-06-2015 11:42 AM
Tiki Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

Somehow I don't think Rhoades will be asking for something like this....good grief.

http://www.ncaa.com/news/football/articl...sf14998179
11-06-2015 12:09 PM
owl95 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rice
(11-06-2015 11:42 AM)bobreinhold1 Wrote:  It was a fun night. There was electricity in the air. Everyone was pumped for the season to begin. I talked with every player and coach there, and we really have quality people. I was told awhile back that Mike liked being at Rice because on road trips he could have actual conversations with players on subjects besides basketball. At the scrimmage the other day as well as last night players had to leave because they had classes. I was told that Chad Lott would have been our best freshman recruit and that he will be a great player. He had successful surgery Tuesday. Marcus Evans seems to be the next great one and he's pushing Bishop Mency for a starting spot. We started very slowly in our scrimmage against Nichols State. The freshmen seemed in awe at first and the veterans just hadn't played in so long. But we quickly picked up the pace. (this from a starter last year) Coach said Andrew Drone probably had the most basketball knowledge on the team. Said it was unusual for a post man to know where all 5 players were supposed to be on every play. Apparently Max knows that too. It is really inspiring to hear Mike Rhoades speak. He pumps up every player to get the best out of them (see Seth Gerhardt and Daniel Peera) Mike's philosophy is attack, attack, attack. He doesn't care who we're playing if we can outwork them and play our game we'll be fine. The question keeps coming up about playing UT, etc. We are trying to play any of our old SWC foes. We have to get the RPI up. They'll play us if losing to us won't drag down their RPI. I'm sure some others may have some nuggets to throw in, but I just wanted to try and give a feel to what we experienced last night.

That's a great summary. I was a student at the end of the Scott Thompson era and it was really a great atmosphere in the Jungle Gym in those days. I'll be there Saturday for the exhibition game.
11-06-2015 03:19 PM
Advertisement

JustAnotherAustinOwl Offline
1st String

Thanks for the info. I think I'm on more of a buy and donate season tickets budget. :-) But will hopefully take my daughters to few games (Men and Women) as well...
11-06-2015 03:49 PM
BufflOwl Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Winning
Extra Point Club, 3 Point Club, RBI Club, WAAB trivia and golf, Owl Club, EZF, Badeball Stadium master plan that requires confidentiality agreements, Season Tickets to donate to others...I can't keep all the fundraising messages on this board straight but I'm sure glad everyone is excited for football to be over and any other season to start.
11-07-2015 12:39 AM
Tiki Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-07-2015 12:39 AM)BufflOwl Wrote:  Extra Point Club, 3 Point Club, RBI Club, WAAB trivia and golf, Owl Club, EZF, Badeball Stadium master plan that requires confidentiality agreements, Season Tickets to donate to others...I can't keep all the fundraising messages on this board straight but I'm sure glad everyone is excited for football to be over and any other season to start.

Unfortunately without a big conference media check rolling in each year that is the way it is. But I am glad that the decision to bring back the SIG's was made though I still think any donation related to Rice athletics should count in your priority status...don't need to tie it to just Owl Club donations (call it RAF Rice Athletic Funds status).
11-07-2015 12:43 AM
BufflOwl Offline
Special Teams

I don't see anything about SIGs on any websites. They seem to be only brought up on here by a couple posters tied closely to particular sports and the coaches themselves. Thus my confusion.
11-07-2015 12:50 AM
Tiki Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

11-07-2015 12:55 AM
Advertisement

BufflOwl Offline
Special Teams

(11-07-2015 12:55 AM)Tiki Owl Wrote:  http://www.riceowls.com/sports/owl-club/...erest.html

I'm not sure that qualifies as information about the SIGs...but I'm glad to see they added a tab back that they do exist. I guess that's what you meant by brought them back.
11-07-2015 01:07 AM
Tiki Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-07-2015 01:07 AM)BufflOwl Wrote:  
(11-07-2015 12:55 AM)Tiki Owl Wrote:  http://www.riceowls.com/sports/owl-club/...erest.html

I'm not sure that qualifies as information about the SIGs...but I'm glad to see they added a tab back that they do exist. I guess that's what you meant by brought them back.

Yes...your point though is a good one and I will bring it up at the Wed Fan Committee meeting.
11-07-2015 01:10 AM
BufflOwl Offline
Special Teams

(11-07-2015 01:10 AM)Tiki Owl Wrote:  
(11-07-2015 01:07 AM)BufflOwl Wrote:  

Yes...your point though is a good one and I will bring it up at the Wed Fan Committee meeting.

I appreciate that. Thank you.
11-07-2015 01:16 AM
Da.Owl Offline
Rs.for.Cars@gmail.com

I Root For: The Rice Owls

Folding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbsNew Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
(11-07-2015 12:43 AM)Tiki Owl Wrote:  
(11-07-2015 12:39 AM)BufflOwl Wrote:  Extra Point Club, 3 Point Club, RBI Club, WAAB trivia and golf, Owl Club, EZF, Badeball Stadium master plan that requires confidentiality agreements, Season Tickets to donate to others...I can't keep all the fundraising messages on this board straight but I'm sure glad everyone is excited for football to be over and any other season to start.

Unfortunately without a big conference media check rolling in each year that is the way it is. But I am glad that the decision to bring back the SIG's was made though I still think any donation related to Rice athletics should count in your priority status...don't need to tie it to just Owl Club donations (call it RAF Rice Athletic Funds status).

I'm already seeing a great logo for the RAF.
11-07-2015 04:41 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.