Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Conference Champs, OOC games, and CFP Selection
quo vadis Online
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
Conference Champs, OOC games, and CFP Selection
Many around here are under the illusion that the CFP will only select conference champions for the CFP.

But, that disregards the fact that the CFP should, and clearly does, value what teams do OOC, while conferences, by their very nature, totally disregard OOC outcomes in determining their champs.

Thus, it shouldn't surprise anyone if the CFP committee ends up picking a team that didn't win its conference. Because the CFP committee values something that conferences ignore: What happens OOC.
(This post was last modified: 11-05-2015 01:48 PM by quo vadis.)
11-05-2015 01:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

allthatyoucantleavebehind Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Penn State
RE: Conference Champs, OOC games, and CFP Selection
Um...you realize that OOC is only 25% (or 33% at most) of most teams' seasons, right? That 25% matters, sure, but it doesn't matter as much as the 75% of their season...and--in some cases--that extra, pressure-packed, elite game they face in a CCG.

Conference championship is one of the biggest factors for CFP selection, if for no other reason that it places more importance on CCGs (which are monetarily controlled individually by conferences). And the conferences created the CFP.
11-05-2015 02:23 PM
quo vadis Online
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(11-05-2015 02:23 PM)allthatyoucantleavebehind Wrote:  Um...you realize that OOC is only 25% (or 33% at most) of most teams' seasons, right? That 25% matters, sure, but it doesn't matter as much as the 75% of their season...and--in some cases--that extra, pressure-packed, elite game they face in a CCG.

Conference championship is one of the biggest factors for CFP selection, if for no other reason that it places more importance on CCGs (which are monetarily controlled individually by conferences). And the conferences created the CFP.

No question, the CFP must value what happens within a conference. As you say, conference games make up the clear majority of the games a team plays.

But nevertheless, while conferences only care about and count conference games, the CFP must and does highly value what happens OOC.
11-05-2015 02:41 PM
Advertisement

jaminandjachin Offline
All American

I Root For: UNC
According to the College Football Playoff site:

The selection committee ranks the teams based on conference championships won, strength of schedule, head-to-head results, comparison of results against common opponents and other factors.

The very first item says conference championships won.

If Ole Miss and Bama both win out, Ole Miss would have the advantage in almost all criteria including having a tougher OOC schedule. Memphis (assuming they stay high) would have been a better team than Wisconsin. Ole Miss should be rewarded on the fact they played Memphis on the road. Bama doesn't even play OOC games on the road anymore. The one issue where Bama has an advantage is Ole Miss has an additional loss. How important will that be...............

I would have a hard time believing the committee for pushing Bama down our throats if they didn't even win their division.
11-05-2015 02:52 PM
RUScarlets Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rutgers
Bama at one loss and ND at one loss is a tough call. I think you go ND. The Stanford/ND game could be a win and in game, because I think ND has the better schedule and the better loss, and Stanford would be a CC assuming they go on to win the Pac 12. No way Bama would get ahead of all that. Lets assume Baylor/TCU win out. You'd be looking at:

1. Clemson 13-0
2. OSU 13-0
3a. Bama 11-1
3b. Baylor 12-0
3c. ND 11-1 or Stanford 12-1

It's a tough call. I think you eliminate Bama in that scenario, and the ND/Stanford winner is in.
11-05-2015 03:02 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.