Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Houston coach still West Sider at heart
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
Houston coach still West Sider at heart
Houston Cougars football coach Tom Herman is proud to be a Cincinnati West Side native, even though Herman has not lived in the area since he was 6 years old.

The 40-year-old Herman, whose No. 18 Houston team (8-0, 4-0 American Athletic Conference West) plays host to the University of Cincinnati (5-3, 2-2 AAC East) on Saturday at 3:30 p.m., has been quite the success story in his first year as Cougars head coach. Herman also still retains close ties to Cincinnati.

“I was born at Good Sam,” Herman said, during the weekly American Athletic Conference coaches teleconference. “My parents were in St. William parish there on the West Side. My dad is buried at St. Joseph Cemetery there on West 8th Street. So yeah, we’re all West Siders.”

Herman needed little prompting to discuss his Cincinnati roots, volunteering several details about growing up in the area. He lived in Cincinnati until age 6 before moving to Simi Valley, California.

“My Mom and Dad dad divorced when I was 1 year old,” Herman said. “My Mom remarried when I was 5, and my stepdad’s job took us out to Southern California. But my real dad, my grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, you name it, every single one of my extended family still lived in the Greater Cincinnati area.”

Herman made frequent trips back home.

“Every summer, every Christmas, I would go back and spend time with my dad and hang out with my cousins and grandparents," he said. "I had the luxury of growing up a Reds and Bengals fan in Southern California, which wasn’t too popular.”

Herman eventually played college football at California Lutheran, then began his coaching career. The path took him to Ohio State, where he helped the Buckeyes win the national title last season as offensive coordinator. Herman then was named head coach at Houston, one week after winning the Broyles Award as the nation’s top assistant.

Back in Cincinnati, Herman still has a large rooting section.

“A lot of my cousins and extended family are UC grads and have a very tight affiliation with the university,” Herman said. “I consider Cincinnati my hometown, even though I grew up and went to high school in Simi Valley, California.”

Herman said that his grandmother, Louise Kuhlenberg, still works five days a week as a seamstress at Peppe Ramundo & Son Custom Tailors on Glenway Avenue.

“It’s over there by Western Hills High School, by the Frisch’s there,” Herman said. “My grandma is coming to the game this week, and she’s supposed to bring me a bunch of Montgomery Inn ribs and Skyline chili.”

Yes, the football game. Houston is an 8-point favorite, but Herman is wary of the potent UC offense. UC ranks No. 5 nationally in total offense, but Houston ranks No. 7 in total offense itself.

“With the high-powered offense that Cincinnati has, led by their quarterback and receivers, it’s going to be a big test for our defense,” Herman said.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/c.../75204778/

Bold part is as West Side as it gets.
11-05-2015 12:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BigHouston Offline
STRONG

I Root For: HOUSTON, USC Trojans
RE: Houston coach still West Sider at heart
Read it on the Houston Chronicle... It's why I believe if and when coach Herman decides to leave Houston it would be for the Ohio St. geeg.
11-05-2015 01:11 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
(11-05-2015 01:11 PM)BigHouston Wrote:  Read it on the Houston Chronicle... It's why I believe if and when coach Herman decides to leave Houston it would be for the Ohio St. geeg.

I think Meyer will be there for some time. But yeah I am sure he would be on their short list.
11-05-2015 01:15 PM
tigerjamesc Offline
Heisman

I Root For: more wins
Herman to UC?
11-05-2015 01:57 PM
BigHouston Offline
STRONG

(11-05-2015 01:57 PM)tigerjamesc Wrote:  Herman to UC?

No, but nice try.
11-05-2015 01:59 PM
cotton1991 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis
Are any Houston fans seriously concerned about him leaving this year? He's done as good a job as he possibly could, but he still only has one HC year under his belt which imho would exclude an offer from big name schools at this point. Would he consider some lowly P5 job like Purdue, for example, or would he wait another year or so and build his resume for something bigger down the road?
11-05-2015 02:25 PM
Advertisement

billetingman1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Houston
(11-05-2015 02:25 PM)cotton1991 Wrote:  Are any Houston fans seriously concerned about him leaving this year? He's done as good a job as he possibly could, but he still only has one HC year under his belt which imho would exclude an offer from big name schools at this point. Would he consider some lowly P5 job like Purdue, for example, or would he wait another year or so and build his resume for something bigger down the road?

He only leaves for a top 20 P-5 job, and it would have to be the right fit. Herman has just scratched the surface at UH. 2 to 3 years down the road, yes I think he gets the P-5 He wants, unless UH has moved up the food chain before then.
11-05-2015 02:32 PM
Kronke Offline
Banned

I Root For: Arsenal / StL
(11-05-2015 02:25 PM)cotton1991 Wrote:  Are any Houston fans seriously concerned about him leaving this year? He's done as good a job as he possibly could, but he still only has one HC year under his belt which imho would exclude an offer from big name schools at this point. Would he consider some lowly P5 job like Purdue, for example, or would he wait another year or so and build his resume for something bigger down the road?

Sumlin was linked to over a dozen jobs, but waited for A&M. I think Herman would do the same.

The problem is that USC and perhaps UT will be open this offseason. Those are two, top 5 jobs IMO. If either want him, he's gone.
(This post was last modified: 11-05-2015 02:37 PM by Kronke.)
11-05-2015 02:36 PM
BigHouston Offline
STRONG

He loves the city of Houston and the University Of Houston... I think what we now have in our favor that we didn't for decades before is the new football stadium that and the fact UH is completely surrounded by a rich enormous recruiting area.

Yes, I am a little concern, but not as much.
11-05-2015 02:44 PM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
We are leaving Tubs there after the game this week and taking Herman.
11-05-2015 03:10 PM
cotton1991 Offline
Heisman

(11-05-2015 02:36 PM)Kronke Wrote:  The problem is that USC and perhaps UT will be open this offseason. Those are two, top 5 jobs IMO. If either want him, he's gone.

Do you think USC or UT would offer him after one year?

(11-05-2015 03:10 PM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  We are leaving Tubs there after the game this week and taking Herman.

Stop in Memphis on the way back and drop off Cronin and pick up Josh. It's right on the way.
11-05-2015 03:31 PM
Advertisement

cotton1991 Offline
Heisman

(11-05-2015 02:32 PM)billetingman1 Wrote:  He only leaves for a top 20 P-5 job, and it would have to be the right fit. Herman has just scratched the surface at UH. 2 to 3 years down the road, yes I think he gets the P-5 He wants, unless UH has moved up the food chain before then.

I think that would be the smart thing to do.
11-05-2015 03:36 PM
3rdWardCoog Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UH
More then likely UT will not be open this year.

Very slim chances USCal goes after CTH. He would likely be option 5 or greater.

CTH is a Texas guy recruiting wise. Even at OSU he recruited Texas mainly. IMO, that knocks out all the other opening. Not that UH is better it just fits him better. UH will redo his deal this year bumping him up to a little higher then $2 mill.

Saying that. UT and TAMU will likely be open in a few years. That is his end goal. Taking over the 1 or 2 school in Texas and really owning the state.
(This post was last modified: 11-05-2015 03:52 PM by 3rdWardCoog.)
11-05-2015 03:51 PM
AllPtsBulletin Offline
Banned

I Root For: The Old School
(11-05-2015 02:44 PM)BigHouston Wrote:  He loves the city of Houston and the University Of Houston... I think what we now have in our favor that we didn't for decades before is the new football stadium that and the fact UH is completely surrounded by a rich enormous recruiting area.

Yes, I am a little concern, but not as much.

I chuckle when I see run for him going to Miami on other sites. Miami is literally, (aside from conference affiliation--barely) a step down. Houston has a nice looking IPF (from what I've seen) and that shiny stadium sure does help right smack dab on campus.

Could that happen? I guess. Would be majorly shocked, though.
11-07-2015 04:45 PM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
Might as well get another one lmfao
(This post was last modified: 11-07-2015 05:43 PM by shere khan.)
11-07-2015 05:43 PM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

Herman is gone....you UHer's that think otherwise and listing 10 reasons why he will stay at UH are funny. You remind me of those that thought BK would never leave Cincy....until he did.
11-07-2015 07:57 PM
Advertisement

Kronke Offline
Banned

(11-07-2015 07:57 PM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  Herman is gone....you UHer's that think otherwise and listing 10 reasons why he will stay at UH are funny. You remind me of those that thought BK would never leave Cincy....until he did.

We know he'll leave, but not for trash jobs like Miami, Maryland, etc. South Carolina would even be dumb, when he's got it made here and can wait for a top 5-10 job.
(This post was last modified: 11-07-2015 08:02 PM by Kronke.)
11-07-2015 08:01 PM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

(11-07-2015 08:01 PM)Kronke Wrote:  
(11-07-2015 07:57 PM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  Herman is gone....you UHer's that think otherwise and listing 10 reasons why he will stay at UH are funny. You remind me of those that thought BK would never leave Cincy....until he did.

We know he'll leave, but not for trash jobs like Miami, Maryland, etc. South Carolina would even be dumb, when he's got it made here and can wait for a top 5-10 job.

MiamiFL a trash job? LOL

they are still a big name in a major conference in a fertile recruiting state....

maryland is a different story
11-07-2015 08:02 PM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

now...if you guys were all of a sudden offered a spot in the B12, would he stay? perhaps
11-07-2015 08:04 PM
Kronke Offline
Banned

He's one of the top coaching prospects in the country. You don't leave a sure thing for something that would be a gamble, unless the money difference is just stupid, which it wouldn't be. Sumlin was linked with a dozen jobs, if not more. He waited for A&M. I expect the same from Herman.
11-07-2015 08:10 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.