Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

If Hawaii dropped football or all sports...
SMUfan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: SMU
If Hawaii dropped football or all sports, who would the Mountain West look to as an add and why?
(This post was last modified: 11-02-2015 09:40 PM by SMUfan.)
11-02-2015 09:26 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

canewton Offline
All American

I Root For: Houston
RE: If Hawaii dropped football or all sports...
Utsa
11-02-2015 09:34 PM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
NMSU. It is the easiest add. Moves BSU to the West Division. Also gives an even 12 schools for the Olympic sports.
UTEP won't move from CUSA with the Texas ties.

The other team that would be an easy add is Texas St, but they would only be added if say Air Force move to the AAC only to be in the same league as Navy and Army.
(This post was last modified: 11-02-2015 09:54 PM by MWC Tex.)
11-02-2015 09:52 PM
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
(11-02-2015 09:26 PM)SMUfan Wrote:  If Hawaii dropped football or all sports, who would the Mountain West look to as an add?

That'd be an interesting question, because there'd be three ways to go:

* Football-only add to replace football-only Hawaii. Problem with that is there's not really anyone out there available to move in just for that one sport, with the exception of the two schools (New Mexico State and Idaho) that they pointedly rejected in the most recent realignment wave. North Dakota State is out of the footprint and hasn't expressed an interest in FBS, plus their stadium and potential audience are rate-limiters even if they did.

* All-sports add. The more conventional option, which puts the Texas schools in CUSA and possibly Texas State in play. Would scheduling basketball with an odd number of teams be an issue, though?

* All-sports add and Olympics sports add. The most intriguing possibility, though I doubt it's quite as easy as is its to write about. Gonzaga or Wichita State would definitely fit the bill, but Gonzaga seems happy where they are, and Wichita might be a bridge too far. But one of those with UTEP or UTSA is probably the best-case scenario for them, no matter how unlikely it'd be.
11-02-2015 09:52 PM
chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
I wouldn't rule out an FCS upgrade like Portland State, Sacramento State, Cal Poly, or UC Davis. Those schools are located in decent-sized markets.
11-02-2015 11:19 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BruceMcF Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
(11-02-2015 09:52 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  NMSU. It is the easiest add. Moves BSU to the West Division. Also gives an even 12 schools for the Olympic sports.
And NMSU makes more sense as an all-sports add than as a FB-only add.
11-02-2015 11:23 PM
Advertisement

C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
(11-02-2015 09:52 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  
(11-02-2015 09:26 PM)SMUfan Wrote:  If Hawaii dropped football or all sports, who would the Mountain West look to as an add?

That'd be an interesting question, because there'd be three ways to go:

* Football-only add to replace football-only Hawaii. Problem with that is there's not really anyone out there available to move in just for that one sport, with the exception of the two schools (New Mexico State and Idaho) that they pointedly rejected in the most recent realignment wave. North Dakota State is out of the footprint and hasn't expressed an interest in FBS, plus their stadium and potential audience are rate-limiters even if they did.

* All-sports add. The more conventional option, which puts the Texas schools in CUSA and possibly Texas State in play. Would scheduling basketball with an odd number of teams be an issue, though?

* All-sports add and Olympics sports add. The most intriguing possibility, though I doubt it's quite as easy as is its to write about. Gonzaga or Wichita State would definitely fit the bill, but Gonzaga seems happy where they are, and Wichita might be a bridge too far. But one of those with UTEP or UTSA is probably the best-case scenario for them, no matter how unlikely it'd be.

BYU is out there if they ever change their mind.
11-03-2015 12:41 AM
HawaiiMongoose Offline
All American

I Root For: Hawaii
[Image: picard-facepalm-face-palm-590x330.jpg]
11-03-2015 01:52 AM
BruceMcF Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
(11-02-2015 09:26 PM)SMUfan Wrote:  If Hawaii dropped football or all sports, who would the Mountain West look to as an add and why?
Also, note that this is kind of a more than a year-old topic at this point. If Hawaii were to drop football, it would be more than a few years in the future (Relax, football is staying ~ 19 Aug, 2014), and so its quite possible that the western realignment possibilities would have shifted by then.
11-03-2015 04:07 AM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UND
(11-03-2015 01:52 AM)HawaiiMongoose Wrote:  [Image: picard-facepalm-face-palm-590x330.jpg]

Theads like this have to beyond ridiculous for you to see.
11-03-2015 08:18 AM
Wolfman Offline
All American

I Root For: The Cartel
If they did I could see the state of Hawaii sponsoring multiple regular season games.
11-03-2015 08:39 AM
Advertisement

AuzGrams Offline
1st String

I Root For: Utah, UVU, UNC bb
Probably UTEP or UTSA (sorry but I think both are much better options, and C-USA would probably consider inviting NMSU to replace one of them), but why would Hawaii want to do that? Football makes decent revenue even if they are down right now, Hawaii football has been good in the 2000's. They have a good deal going on in the Mountain West/Big West for other sports.
11-03-2015 08:46 AM
Eichorst Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Nebraska
It's possible the MWC wouldn't expand, especially if CCG deregulation comes along. If anything, the MWC still has too many members (Wyoming, Nevada, and San Jose St come to mind), and if the MWC could host a CCG with only 11 or fewer members, I don't see a pressing need for the MWC to expand.
11-03-2015 10:01 AM
YNot Offline
All American

I Root For: BYU
(11-02-2015 09:52 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  That'd be an interesting question, because there'd be three ways to go:

Hawaii plays Olympic sports in the Big West, so there is already an uneven Olympic sports schedule in the MWC for some sports - like basketball (11) and baseball (7) and most women's sports (11, except 9 for softball).

BYU would easily be the best Olympic sports add for the MWC - but it's not a big enough issue to see it happening any time soon.

FWIW, it would be interesting to see what Hawaii could do with independence. I think they could get more PAC opponents in Honolulu and fewer MWC opponents, plus BYU, Army, and Navy, which could help boost home attendance. A home slate of:

-USC, Arizona, Washington, BYU, Navy, San Diego St., FCS
OR
-Oregon, Cal, ASU, Army, UNLV, Fresno St., FCS

would net Hawaii much better gate revenue than the status quo.

But, the built-in 8-game MWC conference schedule definitely helps take away some uncertainty.
11-03-2015 10:09 AM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
(11-02-2015 09:52 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  NMSU. It is the easiest add. Moves BSU to the West Division. Also gives an even 12 schools for the Olympic sports.

The other team that would be an easy add is Texas St, but they would only be added if say Air Force move to the AAC only to be in the same league as Navy and Army.

The problem the MWC has trying to take anyone from CUSA/SBC is the large exit fees. You've really have to want to leave badly to move from those conferences.

New Mexico State because of this has become more attractive to either the MWC or CUSA possibly. In no-mans land they'll have no issue ponying up those fees.

A damaged MWC where they have to replace following a loss of Colorado State or Air Force makes the conference much less attractive for UTEP/UTSA.
11-03-2015 11:19 AM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
(11-03-2015 11:19 AM)Kittonhead Wrote:  

The problem the MWC has trying to take anyone from CUSA/SBC is the large exit fees. You've really have to want to leave badly to move from those conferences.

New Mexico State because of this has become more attractive to either the MWC or CUSA possibly. In no-mans land they'll have no issue ponying up those fees.

A damaged MWC where they have to replace following a loss of Colorado State or Air Force makes the conference much less attractive for UTEP/UTSA.

There isn't an exit fee for NMSU or Idaho because they are football only members which is why NMSU is the easiest. I believe the exit fee only applies to the full members.
11-03-2015 11:39 AM
Advertisement

Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
(11-03-2015 10:09 AM)YNot Wrote:  
(11-02-2015 09:52 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  That'd be an interesting question, because there'd be three ways to go:

Hawaii plays Olympic sports in the Big West, so there is already an uneven Olympic sports schedule in the MWC for some sports - like basketball (11) and baseball (7) and most women's sports (11, except 9 for softball).

BYU would easily be the best Olympic sports add for the MWC - but it's not a big enough issue to see it happening any time soon.

FWIW, it would be interesting to see what Hawaii could do with independence. I think they could get more PAC opponents in Honolulu and fewer MWC opponents, plus BYU, Army, and Navy, which could help boost home attendance. A home slate of:

-USC, Arizona, Washington, BYU, Navy, San Diego St., FCS
OR
-Oregon, Cal, ASU, Army, UNLV, Fresno St., FCS

would net Hawaii much better gate revenue than the status quo.

But, the built-in 8-game MWC conference schedule definitely helps take away some uncertainty.

My bad; I miscounted (in my stupid mind, I had the MWC with a non-football school already aboard). If Hawaii football left, they'd could easily take an all-sports program and be even across the board, at least in most sports.

I think so long as Utah is in a power conference, BYU won't give up their independence to be in a second-tier conference. The optics would be brutal in their eyes.
11-03-2015 02:28 PM
HarmonOliphantOberlanderDevine Offline
The Black Knight of The Deplorables

I Root For: Army, SFU
They would add New Zealand.
11-03-2015 03:32 PM
Aztec Since 88 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: San Diego State
Hawaiians love football so I don't ever see them dropping football. As it was stated earlier I could see HI going Indy in football an leaving their Olympic sports in the Big West where they already are. Going independent gives the advantage of not paying travel subsidies to MW schools when they play on the island, which about is about 175K per game, I think. Teams who play on the Island also get a 13th game exemption, where the can schedule an extra game usually at home for more gate/concession revenue. This why I Think HI can sign a fair amount of home v home with P5 schools. It is nice trip for alumni and get an extra home game the year they travel to HI. Also, if HI does become bowl eligible more often than not they will play in HI bowl, so the don't need a conference for a bowl tie in. I could see many MW schools still playing HI anyway. SDSU, UNLV, Fresno and Boise all would probably continue some sort of scheduling agreement.
(This post was last modified: 11-03-2015 04:55 PM by Aztec Since 88.)
11-03-2015 04:52 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
New Mexico blocks New Mexico State from joining.
Eastern Washington might be a great add.
11-03-2015 07:26 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.