11-01-2015 04:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BeliefBlazer Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: UAB

DonatorsDonators
RE: 10th FBS opening....Hawaii this time
Some mediocre coaches are going to get paid this off season.
11-01-2015 04:58 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
Could June Jones come back? He built Hawaii ip as a national power which needs rebuilding.
11-01-2015 05:05 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
(11-01-2015 05:05 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  Could June Jones come back? He built Hawaii ip as a national power which needs rebuilding.

No....they need someone younger.
11-01-2015 06:02 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

PGEMF Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Ohio State
(11-01-2015 06:02 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  
(11-01-2015 05:05 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  Could June Jones come back? He built Hawaii ip as a national power which needs rebuilding.

That's if they continue with football. That's a big if right now.

Outside of living in Hawaii, it's one of the worst jobs in FBS
(This post was last modified: 11-01-2015 06:25 PM by PGEMF.)
11-01-2015 06:24 PM
HawaiiMongoose Offline
All American

I Root For: Hawaii
At long last the nightmare is over. Chow should have been dumped two years ago after his disastrous 1-11 second season led to disintegration of the casual fan base and plummeting ticket sales, but at least the UH administration didn't wait until the end of this season to pull the plug.

Barring an unexpected windfall (e.g. stealing Dino Babers, a UH graduate and former coach, from Bowling Green), I expect and hope Chow will be replaced with a young but experienced head coach with proven ability to successfully lead a program, probably brought up from the top of the FCS ranks. Our last two hires have been career assistants/coordinators and hopefully we don't go down that dead-end path again. I see June Jones as a dark horse who might be brought back on a short term basis with a built-in succession plan.
11-01-2015 06:25 PM
PGEMF Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Ohio State
(11-01-2015 06:25 PM)HawaiiMongoose Wrote:  At long last the nightmare is over. Chow should have been dumped two years ago after his disastrous 1-11 second season led to disintegration of the casual fan base and plummeting ticket sales, but at least the UH administration didn't wait until the end of this season to pull the plug.

Barring an unexpected windfall (e.g. stealing Dino Babers, a UH graduate and former coach, from Bowling Green), I expect and hope Chow will be replaced with a young but experienced head coach with proven ability to successfully lead a program, probably brought up from the top of the FCS ranks. Our last two hires have been career assistants/coordinators and hopefully we don't go down that dead-end path again. I see June Jones as a dark horse who might be brought back on a short term basis with a built-in succession plan.

Do you buy into the speculation they could shut the program down?
11-01-2015 06:27 PM
Advertisement

HawaiiMongoose Offline
All American

(11-01-2015 06:24 PM)PGEMF Wrote:  
(11-01-2015 06:02 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  

That's if they continue with football. That's a big if right now.

Outside of living in Hawaii, it's one of the worst jobs in FBS

It's not a "big if". Even at its current depths, UH football makes money and subsidizes the school's non-revenue sports. It would only be shut down if the entire athletics program was severely downsized.

After four years of terrible coaching it's easy to forget UH had two top-25 finishes in the past ten years (2007 and 2010). The Hawaii high schools are brimming with talent. The local community will put 40,000-plus fans in the seats when the team is playing good football. We're the only G5 school with its own multi-million dollar PPV deal. We have an ESPN-sponsored hometown bowl to play in. All we need is stable competent leadership that knows how to recruit and put a competitive product on the field.
11-01-2015 06:34 PM
HawaiiMongoose Offline
All American

(11-01-2015 06:27 PM)PGEMF Wrote:  
(11-01-2015 06:25 PM)HawaiiMongoose Wrote:  At long last the nightmare is over. Chow should have been dumped two years ago after his disastrous 1-11 second season led to disintegration of the casual fan base and plummeting ticket sales, but at least the UH administration didn't wait until the end of this season to pull the plug.

Do you buy into the speculation they could shut the program down?

Nothing like that is imminent. Hawaii football has been around for over 100 years. Historically the program has been a cash cow when it's winning. People in the Islands are rabid about the sport and the local fan base will resurface if UH makes the right coaching hire and starts playing competitive football again.

On the other hand if we hire another Norm Chow and continue losing miserably... all bets are off.
11-01-2015 06:39 PM
Georgia_Power_Company Offline
All American

I Root For: GA Southern
You guys should give Beau Baldwin from Eastern Washington a look he has done wonders with that program.
11-01-2015 06:46 PM
Advertisement

HawaiiMongoose Offline
All American

(11-01-2015 06:46 PM)Georgia_Power_Company Wrote:  You guys should give Beau Baldwin from Eastern Washington a look he has done wonders with that program.

Agreed, in fact his name is already being discussed on the Hawaii message board.
11-01-2015 06:55 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
Quote:Bruce Feldman
‏@BruceFeldmanCFB

Was tough to see Norm Chow struggling as a HC. His time as Hawaii's head coach was like Red from Shawshank working in that grocery store.

3:17 PM - 1 Nov 2015
11-01-2015 07:39 PM
YNot Offline
All American

I Root For: BYU
One of Norm's first actions as Hawaii's head coach was to cancel the multi-game series with BYU. Mistake.

Hopefully, we see the current 2-game series extended substantially.
11-02-2015 11:44 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.