Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

VA Tech job will open....Beamer to retire
Nebraskafan Offline
Banned

I Root For: Nebreaska
VA Tech job will open....Beamer to retire
Retiring after 29 years.

Made it all the way to a national title game.

Rich Rod's name has been speculated as a major player here for a while already. Might mean the Arizona job could open.
11-01-2015 02:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Nebraskafan Offline
Banned

RE: VA Tech job will open....Beamer to retire
Mike Jurecki
‏@mikejurecki
Source: #VirginiaTech Frank Beamer has told his staff that he's retiring after the season, scheduled to meet with the team this afternoon.
11-01-2015 02:03 PM
Rabbit_in_Red Offline
Banned

I Root For: Louisville, ACC
Not surprising. His time has passed.
11-01-2015 02:43 PM
mufanatehc Offline
Hmm...

I Root For: BSU, EHC, & MU
Seems like this should be Bud Foster's to lose. He's been waiting for this for a decade.
11-01-2015 03:12 PM
rednblackattack Offline
1st String

I Root For: UofL
(11-01-2015 03:12 PM)mufanatehc Wrote:  Seems like this should be Bud Foster's to lose. He's been waiting for this for a decade.

I think that ship has sailed. They should go after Fuente
11-01-2015 03:30 PM
Advertisement

hawghiggs Offline
All American

I Root For: Arkansas
(11-01-2015 03:12 PM)mufanatehc Wrote:  Seems like this should be Bud Foster's to lose. He's been waiting for this for a decade.
This is why you don't wait. He could have had many jobs over the years and now he will get passed up for his dream job.
11-01-2015 04:30 PM
Nebraskafan Offline
Banned

(11-01-2015 04:30 PM)hawghiggs Wrote:  
This is why you don't wait. He could have had many jobs over the years and now he will get passed up for his dream job.

Yep. Not wise to wait. When the opportunity is there, go and get it and keep moving forward with your own career if being a head coach is the desired goal.

Very few coaches ever get the chance to be a head coach at their dream school and even if you are an assistant waiting to try and get the head coaching job when you are an assistant at your dream school doesn't mean you are going to get it.

Easiest way to get your dream job is to dominate as a head coach and when the chance to go to your dream school opens up, then you make the calls.

You see that right now with Bama's defensive coordinator. He should take the South Carolina job if he can get it.
11-01-2015 04:59 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
(11-01-2015 03:30 PM)rednblackattack Wrote:  

Fuente is a Big 12 guy who was under Gary Patterson. He could wait until Memphis becomes a Big 12 member.
11-01-2015 05:03 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pervis_Griffith Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisville
(11-01-2015 05:03 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  

Fuente is a Big 12 guy who was under Gary Patterson. He could wait until Memphis becomes a Big 12 member.

That could be a mighty long time.
11-01-2015 05:08 PM
Advertisement

goofus Offline
All American

I Root For: Iowa
Bob Stoops and Kirk Ferentz are now tied as longest tenured head coaches in FBS with same team. Only 5 started before 2004.

Bob Stoops, Oklahoma, first year 1999
Kirk Ferentz, Iowa, 1999
Gary Patterson, TCU, 2000
Mark Richt, Georgia, 2001
Gary Pinkel, Mizzou, 2001
11-01-2015 05:21 PM
msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
(11-01-2015 04:59 PM)Nebraskafan Wrote:  
(11-01-2015 04:30 PM)hawghiggs Wrote:  

Yep. Not wise to wait. When the opportunity is there, go and get it and keep moving forward with your own career if being a head coach is the desired goal.

Very few coaches ever get the chance to be a head coach at their dream school and even if you are an assistant waiting to try and get the head coaching job when you are an assistant at your dream school doesn't mean you are going to get it.

Easiest way to get your dream job is to dominate as a head coach and when the chance to go to your dream school opens up, then you make the calls.

You see that right now with Bama's defensive coordinator. He should take the South Carolina job if he can get it.

I was wondering that as well. If you keep Carson, does that keeps the entire staff? How many do you keep? Just seems like a no win situation.
11-01-2015 07:21 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
Bud Foster may be the failsafe, but I think the AD will look for someone outside the program first. Of course, given all of the vacancies, competition could be pretty stiff this year.
11-01-2015 07:34 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
(11-01-2015 07:34 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  Bud Foster may be the failsafe, but I think the AD will look for someone outside the program first. Of course, given all of the vacancies, competition could be pretty stiff this year.

I still contend that it will be Rich Rod.
11-01-2015 07:39 PM
Advertisement

Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
Some of these HCs are going to make serious bank this year. Teams will have to overpay to keep their current guy from going elsewhere, and teams with vacancies will have to overpay to get a coach to choose them instead of another team.

Rich Rod is Exhibit A. Even though he's only 5-4 this year, he's either gonna get paid somewhere else or he's gonna get a raise in Tucson.
11-01-2015 07:44 PM
PGEMF Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Ohio State
[/i][/b]
(11-01-2015 05:03 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  

Fuente is a Big 12 guy who was under Gary Patterson. He could wait until Memphis becomes a Big 12 member.[b]

I'm assuming you will pay him that 1.5 million-2 million difference annually until such an event happens?
11-01-2015 08:14 PM
ecuacc4ever Offline
Resident Geek Musician

I Root For: ACC
SkunkworksDonatorsPWNER of Scout/Rivals
Just my $.02, but:

Bud Foster should not get that job. Some coaches are better suited for the coordinator (or position coach) job they have where they don't have to deal with media, boosters, and travel all over the state. Bud seems like that kind of guy.

Or else, he'd have already been a head coach somewhere else.

--

Virginia Tech is in need of a youth movement, like they were when they hired Beamer in '87 to proceed the late Bill Dooley. I realize I just dated myself. But that's what VT needs now, especially that UVA is certain to release Mike London, so they can get a jump on reclaiming the Tidewater area. London may not be much of an FBS head coach, but his recruiting of that area is what I believe led to VT's slide.

Anyway...

a) How attractive is the VT job compared to Maryland and South Carolina?

b) Would Chad Morris come back to the ACC?
11-01-2015 10:47 PM
PGEMF Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Ohio State
(11-01-2015 10:47 PM)ecuacc4ever Wrote:  Just my $.02, but:

Bud Foster should not get that job. Some coaches are better suited for the coordinator (or position coach) job they have where they don't have to deal with media, boosters, and travel all over the state. Bud seems like that kind of guy.

Or else, he'd have already been a head coach somewhere else.

--

Virginia Tech is in need of a youth movement, like they were when they hired Beamer in '87 to proceed the late Bill Dooley. I realize I just dated myself. But that's what VT needs now, especially that UVA is certain to release Mike London, so they can get a jump on reclaiming the Tidewater area. London may not be much of an FBS head coach, but his recruiting of that area is what I believe led to VT's slide.

Anyway...

a) How attractive is the VT job compared to Maryland and South Carolina?

b) Would Chad Morris come back to the ACC?

Way more attractive IMO. Maryland is the 5th best job in it's division. South Carolina is the 4th best in it's division. VT may be the 3rd best in it's conference. Downside is you are following a legend, but you have access to a huge recruiting base.
11-02-2015 06:13 AM
Hokie4Skins Offline
All American

I Root For: Ed O'Bannon
Around Blacksburg Bud Foster is known as a hard-drinking, piss and vinegar throwback kind of guy. Not really head coach material in this day and age. Kind of like the CFB equivalent of Russ Grimm, who used to be mentioned in conjunction with NFL HC jobs years ago.
11-02-2015 08:50 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.