Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Is withers the worst coach we've had in years?
Bookmark and Share
jmuwyhamhgawd Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Dukes
Is withers the worst coach we've had in years?
And just happened to show up when we've had the most talented team in years? Can anyone prove to me anything he's done that's impressive from a recruiting/coaching perspective?
10-31-2015 07:26 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

GeoJMU Offline
2nd String

I Root For: JMU, CMU
RE: Is withers the worst coach we've had in years?
1. Vad Lee
2. Probably need to give him a year or two with new recruits before we make that call
10-31-2015 07:28 PM
CISDuke2014 Offline
1st String

I Root For: James Madison
(10-31-2015 07:28 PM)GeoJMU Wrote:  1. Vad Lee
2. Probably need to give him a year or two with new recruits before we make that call

+1 It's hard to evaluate a coach after 1.5 seasons. Without Withers we DEFINITELY don't get Vad. I have to say get to give him 1 more season at least before you can make a true call.
10-31-2015 07:31 PM
BleedingPurple Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: JMU
I think the biggest difference is that EW takes the most talented players and sticks them on offense whereas his predecessor took the best and moved them to the other side of the ball.

I believe he watches his players like a hawk and demands their respect, this will pay dividends as we continue to move forward.

The most disappointed thing that I am witnessing is that he preached playing better competition as we move away from the contracts signed prior to his arrival. This is a HUGE disappointment and I will certainly call him out on it the next time I am in his company.
10-31-2015 07:37 PM
JMU_Newbill Offline
All American

I Root For: JMU & Whoever Plays VT
Defensively YES, he's the worst coach we've had in a long *** **** time. But offensively he's made us great. I hate it.
10-31-2015 07:38 PM
DolleyMadison Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU Dukes
I said this in another thread and I'll post it in every thread that makes this statement...

Calling for Withers head after two close losses to ranked teams is the dumbest thing uttered on these boards...dumber than Alger's backwards hat and Bourne's monitoring.

Our defense has lost the game for us the last two weekends. We should be winning these games. We under performed and got beat by teams that were the better team but lacked our potential. We were out played and I'm pissed.

But "FIRE WITHERS"??? Come on...that's emotions speaking and a major over reaction.

People calling for Withers to be fired are the same people that live just to b!tch and complain about everything. Everyone making those statements...see you back on the bandwagon in two weeks when we're in the playoffs.
10-31-2015 07:42 PM
Advertisement

JMU_Newbill Offline
All American

I Root For: JMU & Whoever Plays VT
Dolley I don't see "FIRE WITHERS" any where on this thread.
10-31-2015 07:44 PM
DoubleDDuke Offline
Heisman

(10-31-2015 07:31 PM)CISDuke2014 Wrote:  

+1 It's hard to evaluate a coach after 1.5 seasons. Without Withers we DEFINITELY don't get Vad. I have to say get to give him 1 more season at least before you can make a true call.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, but as far as 1.5 seasons, there's a reason why he's here. He was going to get fired at OSU for the defense getting its teeth kicked in and now it's happening here at JMU. Does this guy know anything about defensive football? I know he's not the DC but Jesus...whenever we play anybody who isn't a cupcake they look like they're running practice drills. I'm tired of it. If anyone thinks we're going to beat Delaware or Villanova playing like that, you're insane.
10-31-2015 07:44 PM
CISDuke2014 Offline
1st String

(10-31-2015 07:44 PM)DoubleDDuke Wrote:  

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, but as far as 1.5 seasons, there's a reason why he's here. He was going to get fired at OSU for the defense getting its teeth kicked in and now it's happening here at JMU. Does this guy know anything about defensive football? I know he's not the DC but Jesus...whenever we play anybody who isn't a cupcake they look like they're running practice drills. I'm tired of it. If anyone thinks we're going to beat Delaware or Villanova playing like that, you're insane.

He absolutely was going to be fired. And yes as the HC it all ends on your shoulders. He is also trying to play a def scheme that doesn't have the players for it (yes that is also on him adapt to the players you have) but allow him to get more of his type of guys in and see how it works.

As far as the Delaware and Nova games, we will win BOTH games. No way these players allow themselves to lose another one.
(This post was last modified: 10-31-2015 07:52 PM by CISDuke2014.)
10-31-2015 07:51 PM
DoubleDDuke Offline
Heisman

(10-31-2015 07:51 PM)CISDuke2014 Wrote:  
(10-31-2015 07:44 PM)DoubleDDuke Wrote:  

He absolutely was going to be fired. And yes as the HC it all ends on your shoulders. He is also trying to play a def scheme that doesn't have the players for it (yes that is also on him adapt to the players you have) but allow him to get more of his type of guys in and see how it works.

As far as the Delaware and Nova games, we will win BOTH games. No way these players allow themselves to lose another one.

First, I paid my bet. Second, I just don't see this team having a bit of pride on defense. There are no leaders. The only guy who looks like he cares is Taylor Reynolds. The rest of them are just going through the motions or are just bad.
10-31-2015 07:55 PM
BDKJMU Offline
Heisman

(10-31-2015 07:42 PM)DolleyMadison Wrote:  I said this in another thread and I'll post it in every thread that makes this statement...

Calling for Withers head after two close losses to ranked teams is the dumbest thing uttered on these boards...dumber than Alger's backwards hat and Bourne's monitoring.

Our defense has lost the game for us the last two weekends. We should be winning these games. We under performed and got beat by teams that were the better team but lacked our potential. We were out played and I'm pissed.

But "FIRE WITHERS"??? Come on...that's emotions speaking and a major over reaction.

People calling for Withers to be fired are the same people that live just to b!tch and complain about everything. Everyone making those statements...see you back on the bandwagon in two weeks when we're in the playoffs.

You left out the part about better coached. Yeah, RU and W&M were better because they were the BETTER COACHED teams.

We were out played AND OUT COACHED.

Who on this thread (or another) called for him to be canned now? That would be plain silly for anyone to do that now. But he ought to make some changes among his staff and on the defensive side of the ball and special teams..
(This post was last modified: 10-31-2015 08:20 PM by BDKJMU.)
10-31-2015 08:15 PM
Advertisement

GeoJMU Offline
2nd String

(10-31-2015 08:15 PM)BDKJMU Wrote:  
(10-31-2015 07:42 PM)DolleyMadison Wrote:  I said this in another thread and I'll post it in every thread that makes this statement...

You left out the part about better coached. Yeah, RU and W&M were better because they were the BETTER COACHED teams.

Who on this thread (or another) called for him to be canned now? That would be plain silly for anyone to do that now. But he out to make some changes among his staff...

Someone on another thread said that they would fire the entire coaching staff- don't recall which thread. Silly but someone wrote it.
10-31-2015 08:20 PM
Mad victory Offline
1st String

(10-31-2015 07:44 PM)JMU_Newbill Wrote:  Dolley I don't see "FIRE WITHERS" any where on this thread.

Mickey was the best coach we ever had and we fired him. her point is calm yourselves. 2 close losses to 2 very good rivals doesn't warrant worst coach ever threads.
10-31-2015 08:29 PM
BDKJMU Offline
Heisman

(10-31-2015 08:20 PM)GeoJMU Wrote:  

Who on this thread (or another) called for him to be canned now? That would be plain silly for anyone to do that now. But he out to make some changes among his staff...

Someone on another thread said that they would fire the entire coaching staff- don't recall which thread. Silly but someone wrote it.

I caught up on that thread. I see it was DoubleDDuke..
10-31-2015 08:30 PM
DoubleDDuke Offline
Heisman

I did. I didn't mean do it now. I meant if the rest of this year plays out like this dumpster fire. We have two games and need to win them both against opponents we always struggle with regardless of the record. You lose games. You can't keep getting embarrassed every week and try to solve it with another helmet.
10-31-2015 08:33 PM
GeoJMU Offline
2nd String

(10-31-2015 08:33 PM)DoubleDDuke Wrote:  

I did. I didn't mean do it now. I meant if the rest of this year plays out like this dumpster fire. We have two games and need to win them both against opponents we always struggle with regardless of the record. You lose games. You can't keep getting embarrassed every week and try to solve it with another helmet.

OK - I really have to wonder how much this goes back to the salaries available for the assistant coaches - we know that they're pretty young and probably don't demand the salary of an experienced assistant coach. Maybe just a little more cash for an experienced defensive coach is the one thing we really need.
10-31-2015 08:36 PM
Advertisement

BleedingPurple Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: JMU
(10-31-2015 08:36 PM)GeoJMU Wrote:  

OK - I really have to wonder how much this goes back to the salaries available for the assistant coaches - we know that they're pretty young and probably don't demand the salary of an experienced assistant coach. Maybe just a little more cash for an experienced defensive coach is the one thing we really need.

We would have to double those salaries to make a difference in the type of hire we could bring to the Dukes. Going from $60K to $85K (which is about all we would do) isn't going to bring in what is needed. Therefore, you may as well not get your hopes up because JMU is not going to hire a DC and pay him $120K - $150K.
(This post was last modified: 10-31-2015 08:51 PM by BleedingPurple.)
10-31-2015 08:49 PM
GeoJMU Offline
2nd String

(10-31-2015 08:49 PM)BleedingPurple Wrote:  
(10-31-2015 08:36 PM)GeoJMU Wrote:  
(10-31-2015 08:15 PM)BDKJMU Wrote:  You left out the part about better coached. Yeah, RU and W&M were better because they were the BETTER COACHED teams.

We would have to double those salaries to make a difference in the type of hire we could bring to the Dukes. Going from $60K to $85K (which is about all we would do) isn't going to bring in what is needed. Therefore, you may as well not get your hopes up because JMU is not going to hire a DC and pay him $120K - $150K.

I had no idea that was the salary range of our Assistant coaches. I get it - not going to cut it for the experience we need. So doesn't make me think replacing anyone is going to do any good if that's all we can afford anyway!?
10-31-2015 09:07 PM
olderduke Offline
1st String

I Root For: Dukes
My complaint isn't about Withers as HC, geez, do some of you not remember Alex Wood? (Caveat - haven't read the rest of this thread)
10-31-2015 09:11 PM
BDKJMU Offline
Heisman

Maybe one of the dumbest things Withers ever did besides going to the 3-4 was not keeping Kyle Gillenwater...
10-31-2015 09:14 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.