Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Jack Swarbick on independence/realignment
TerryD Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
Jack Swarbick on independence/realignment
"The same can be said about its increasingly rare independent status.

As surrounding conferences have expanded, multiplied, and in some cases, faded away, formed and reformed by television contracts and revenue figures, Notre Dame’s football program has stood alone — an outlier among the crowd.

But for how much longer?

During an online presentation on the future of college athletics on Wednesday, Notre Dame athletics director Jack Swarbrick speculated on the dominos that would have to fall for the Irish football team to ditch its independence in favor of a conference affiliation.

It’s a move Swarbrick neither welcomes nor expects.

“Our goal is to remain independent,” Swarbrick said. “I think it serves the university’s purposes and our educational purposes to maintain our independent model. The things that could change that are ones that I think are generally understood.

One is if our independence proved to be too great an obstacle towards participating for the national championship. That would be a consideration.

“Secondly, if we didn’t have a broadcast partner who wanted to support us and allow us to use football to promote the university as independent, that would be a challenge.

Those are really the only two right now. We don’t have any issues with building our schedule, especially in light of the ACC agreement. We don’t have a problem with access to postseason.

So those are really the two major risks that I see, and I’m glad to say that I don’t think either is imminent.”

Amidst an ever-changing collegiate athletics landscape, Swarbrick also avowed that one thing wouldn’t.

Notre Dame’s football independence.

At least, not imminently.

He also talks about a number of other issues such as paying players, the future of the NCAA, the College Football Playoffs and ND's move to the ACC in most sports.

http://www.ndinsider.com/football/notre-...6873e.html
(This post was last modified: 10-30-2015 06:30 AM by TerryD.)
10-30-2015 06:29 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Gamecock Offline
All American

I Root For: South Carolina
RE: Jack Swarbick on independence/realignment
I think most people realize that this is reality and won't be changing, at least for the foreseeable future
10-30-2015 06:46 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
In other words, Notre Dame's "commitment" to independence has two pretty huge caveats:

1) TV revenue
2) Access to the playoffs

IMO, those are two pretty big caveats, and thus do not reflect a very deep and abiding commitment to independence. It's more like a preference than anything else.

I think we can sum it up as: "Well, as long as we can make roughly the same TV money and have the same CFP access as if we were in a P5 conference, we'll be independent".
(This post was last modified: 10-30-2015 06:57 AM by quo vadis.)
10-30-2015 06:56 AM
TerryD Online
Hall of Famer

(10-30-2015 06:56 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  In other words, Notre Dame's "commitment" to independence has two pretty huge caveats:

1) TV revenue

IMO, those are two pretty big caveats, and thus do not reflect a very deep and abiding commitment to independence. It's more like a preference than anything else.

I think we can sum it up as: "Well, as long as we can make roughly the same TV money and have the same CFP access as if we were in a P5 conference, we'll be independent".

Which may be the case for a very damn long time......
10-30-2015 07:22 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
(10-30-2015 06:56 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  In other words, Notre Dame's "commitment" to independence has two pretty huge caveats:

1) TV revenue

That's the way I read it too.
When all parties terms have been satisfied, it will come to pass. Everybody is still jockeying for position.

And yes Terry, it may be a while.
(This post was last modified: 10-30-2015 07:31 AM by XLance.)
10-30-2015 07:29 AM
Nebraskafan Offline
Banned

I Root For: Nebreaska

1) TV revenue

Yep. That is Notre Dame for you. Conferences have been after Notre Dame for longer than I have been on this planet.
10-30-2015 07:57 AM
Advertisement

Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville
05-nono Access to the playoffs? Well, if the P5 votes out independents from the playoffs, then Notre Dame is relegated to the G5 in football like BYU and Army. Then they will become the 15th ACC football team. It could happen! 07-coffee3
10-30-2015 08:05 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA

1) TV revenue

And 3) continuing the ACC relationship which fixes what was getting to be significant scheduling and bowl issues for football and what, with the collapse of the BE, would have become insoluble issues for non-rev sports. That part is set until at least 2027.
10-30-2015 08:14 AM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
The goal is to remain independent? That means there is some quaking going on with ND moving toward a conference.
Especially after reading about the ACC delay of a network that worries that there will be a P4 and not a P5 should give concern to ND. ND already ditched the BE when it was falling apart and now the ACC is looking weaker which does affect ND because of the scheduling agreement and bowl lineup.
If the ACC is worried about there a P4, they will need to have Notre Dame solidify the conference.

ND already has a big obstacle to the National Playoffs as an Indy. That CCG is a big key factor in the committee's selection. That extra game is a big factor and one the neither ND or the Big 12 will have unless they play Hawaii.

TV contract: Well that is pretty solid for the time being, but will eventually, that will not be enough to keep Notre Dame Indy.

The tectonic plates are moving and something will happen within the next few years when the bowl cycle come up for renewal in 4 years.
(This post was last modified: 10-30-2015 08:25 AM by MWC Tex.)
10-30-2015 08:24 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(10-30-2015 08:24 AM)MWC Tex Wrote:  The goal is to remain independent? That means there is some quaking going on with ND moving toward a conference.
Especially after reading about the ACC delay of a network that worries that there will be a P4 and not a P5 should give concern to ND. ND already ditched the BE when it was falling apart and now the ACC is looking weaker which does affect ND because of the scheduling agreement and bowl lineup.
If the ACC is worried about there a P4, they will need to have Notre Dame solidify the conference.

ND already has a big obstacle to the National Playoffs as an Indy. That CCG is a big key factor in the committee's selection. That extra game is a big factor and one the neither ND or the Big 12 will have unless they play Hawaii.

TV contract: Well that is pretty solid for the time being, but will eventually, that will not be enough to keep Notre Dame Indy.

The tectonic plates are moving and something will happen within the next few years when the bowl cycle come up for renewal in 4 years.

The TV contract is probably the least of their worries. The kings could probably all do a lot better with individual TV contracts than a conference contract. If NBC isn't interested, then somebody else would be.
10-30-2015 08:26 AM
TerryD Online
Hall of Famer

(10-30-2015 08:26 AM)bullet Wrote:  
(10-30-2015 08:24 AM)MWC Tex Wrote:  The goal is to remain independent? That means there is some quaking going on with ND moving toward a conference.

The TV contract is probably the least of their worries. The kings could probably all do a lot better with individual TV contracts than a conference contract. If NBC isn't interested, then somebody else would be.

Agreed. NBC is getting a good deal with the ND contract. It has low ongoing production costs and pretty good ratings.

If NBC decides that it didn't want to renew after 2025 (which I seriously doubt), ESPN, Fox or TBS would probably line up to bid.

As far as playoffs, I don't see this as an insurmountable issue for continued independence. I get the feeling that Swarbrick does not either.

The ACC is not going to kick ND out as a member, even after 2027. That is a message board pipe dream.

If the ACC is raided, then back fill and move on.

Yes, the goal is to remain independent. This is a surprise to anyone, really?????
(This post was last modified: 10-30-2015 08:56 AM by TerryD.)
10-30-2015 08:54 AM
Advertisement

MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
(10-30-2015 08:54 AM)TerryD Wrote:  

Agreed. NBC is getting a good deal with the ND contract. It has low ongoing production costs and pretty good ratings.

If NBC decides that it didn't want to renew after 2025 (which I seriously doubt), ESPN, Fox or TBS would probably line up to bid.

As far as playoffs, I don't see this as an insurmountable issue for continued independence. I get the feeling that Swarbrick does not either.

The ACC is not going to kick ND out as a member, even after 2027. That is a message board pipe dream.

Who would the ACC backfill with? ND didn't like the BE backfills and probably won't like any of the backfills the ACC would make. It would actually make the ACC a G5 type conference which would hurt ND and why ND left the Big East.

The ACC could lose up to 6 members (2 to Big 10, 2 to SEC, 2 to Big 12 maybe even 4 to the Big 12) What would ND do then? It seems like it is in the best interest of Notre Dame to keep the ACC together and make it stronger...there is only one way to do that and that is to become a full member unless they want to be a full member of the Big 12.
(This post was last modified: 10-30-2015 09:03 AM by MWC Tex.)
10-30-2015 09:02 AM
domer1978 Offline
All American

I Root For: Notre Dame/Chaos

Yes, the goal is to remain independent. This is a surprise to anyone, really?????

Problem is with a weakened ACC the bowls would be horrible, Olympic sports would be bad. The ACC deal works for those very reasons and is important for those reasons. The Big East isn't option (Swarbrick said so), so we need a strong ACC not a Group of 5 conference(Not trying to be offensive to G-5 schools).
(This post was last modified: 10-30-2015 09:20 AM by domer1978.)
10-30-2015 09:15 AM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
(10-30-2015 08:05 AM)Wilkie01 Wrote:  05-nono Access to the playoffs? Well, if the P5 votes out independents from the playoffs, then Notre Dame is relegated to the G5 in football like BYU and Army. Then they will become the 15th ACC football team. It could happen! 07-coffee3

The ACC could go to 16 with Cincinnati added to ease ND travel.
10-30-2015 09:24 AM
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
Swarbrick is giving a lawyerly answer (being the lawyer that he is). ND is making a lot of TV money and they're not structurally blocked from the playoff... and neither of those factors are going to change for the foreseeable future.

And when I say "structurally blocked from the playoff", I mean a situation where a team like the 2012 Notre Dame team wouldn't make it to the 4-team (or 8-team or whatever size) playoff. I don't see that occurring at all because the TV people that are paying for the playoff want nothing to do with that type of system. ND essentially being in the same position as the Big 12 champ where it is at an "all things being equal" disadvantage versus a conference champ that has played 13 games isn't anywhere near enough to persuade them to give up independence.
10-30-2015 09:31 AM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

I Root For: NDSU/Minnesota
(10-30-2015 08:05 AM)Wilkie01 Wrote:  05-nono Access to the playoffs? Well, if the P5 votes out independents from the playoffs, then Notre Dame is relegated to the G5 in football like BYU and Army. Then they will become the 15th ACC football team. It could happen! 07-coffee3

The P5 does not control the CFP.

The CFP is owned and controlled by all ten FBS conferences **AND** Notre Dame.

http://www.collegefootballplayoff.com/governance
10-30-2015 09:32 AM
Advertisement

ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
It's amazing. Swarbrick could have said there is a 99.99% chance ND will remain independent, and some people will read that to mean that 0.01% chance means he's acknowledging that the Irish are on the brink of joining a conference.

People will believe what they want to believe. They don't need a good reason, or any reason at all.
10-30-2015 09:33 AM
nole Offline
1st String

I Root For: FSU
(10-30-2015 09:15 AM)domer1978 Wrote:  

Problem is with a weakened ACC the bowls would be horrible, Olympic sports would be bad. The ACC deal works for those very reasons and is important for those reasons. The Big East isn't option (Swarbrick said so), so we need a strong ACC not a Group of 5 conference(Not trying to be offensive to G-5 schools).

Basically, ND is going to have the same thing as the Big East.

My guess is after ACC breaks apart, there will be a true P4 and the weakest one (Big 12 or some form of it) will allow ND another deal like with ACC and Big East.

Or, ND could have an Olympic sport issue, but I doubt they care. They could pair up with a non P4 conference for their Olympic.
10-30-2015 09:36 AM
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
(10-30-2015 09:24 AM)Kittonhead Wrote:  

The ACC could go to 16 with Cincinnati added to ease ND travel.

Are we seriously arguing about ND caring about Cincinnati for travel purposes? ND is a school that is going out of its way to NOT schedule Midwest-based schools.

Everyone needs to get it through their heads: the P5 are *perfectly* fine with ND having playoff access. They'd all rather play ND in the playoff than a school like Baylor (much less a G5 school). Why? Because ND still makes money for the overall system. ESPN (and every other TV network) doesn't want a playoff where ND is automatically not going to be allowed in. They will pay LESS money for that type of system.

At the same time, the Big Ten and SEC have ZERO incentive to push ND to the ACC. NONE. Why on Earth would they want to strengthen the ACC (which is #5 in conference revenue distributions right now) that is competing directly within the Big Ten and SEC footprints? Believe me - they would MUCH rather have ND stay independent. If ND isn't going to actually join the Big Ten or SEC, then it serves their interests for ND to stay independent and keep the ACC down in conference revenue.
10-30-2015 09:37 AM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

I Root For: NDSU/Minnesota
So long as Notre Dame has a seat at the board of directors of the CFP, it will always be able to ensure enough access to the major post-season structure so as to guarantee it won't need to join a conference.

/thread
10-30-2015 09:37 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.