Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Patriot League Looking For An All Sports Football School For Expansion
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
Patriot League Looking For An All Sports Football School For Expansion
http://thebrownandwhite.com/2015/10/29/p...cheduling/

Which schools could they be looking for in their footprint? Could some D2 that fits them for academics and in the footprint could be a target?
10-30-2015 04:11 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
RE: Patriot League Looking For An All Sports Football School For Expansion
04-jawdrop

Where to begin?

Do you hear the call, Richmond, Villanova, and W&M? Davidson, care to tweek your program to resemble at least Georgetown's?

This makes me wonder why they ever bothered with Boston. At least with Loyola, you got to the Beltway area with a solid lax pick up. There's no guarantee Boston keeps theirs. Patsy was a move to further tighten their budgets. Neither added football.

AI makes football membership tough, but the no redshirting thing on top of that is brutal. They may as well look to Pioneer schools for that twofer.
10-30-2015 07:08 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
otis campbell Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Valpo, Miami O
I would look at some Pioneer Football League schools if willing to do a football only:

Dayton
Valpo
Butler
Davidson
Marist
(This post was last modified: 10-30-2015 09:39 AM by otis campbell.)
10-30-2015 07:33 AM
mikeinsec127 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers
Monmouth. It's in a neighboring state, a bus trip away game and can join for just football.
10-30-2015 08:14 AM
NittanyLion Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: PSU, Cincinnati
(10-30-2015 07:08 AM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  04-jawdrop

Where to begin?

Do you hear the call, Richmond, Villanova, and W&M? Davidson, care to tweek your program to resemble at least Georgetown's?

This makes me wonder why they ever bothered with Boston. At least with Loyola, you got to the Beltway area with a solid lax pick up. There's no guarantee Boston keeps theirs. Patsy was a move to further tighten their budgets. Neither added football.

AI makes football membership tough, but the no redshirting thing on top of that is brutal. They may as well look to Pioneer schools for that twofer.

Richmond, Villanova, W&M, Davidson --- I can't imagine any of them want to be an ALL-sports member of the Patriot League.

I'm honestly not sure why the Patriot League needs an ALL-sports member though? Reading the article, it seems it's mostly a football issue. Get a 8th football member, and then it reduces the OOC-scheduling difficulties quite a bit.

(even then, is scheduling OOC games that difficult? There are plenty of Ivy League, NEC and CAA schools around that area)

Anyway, if they are looking for an all-sports member, Monmouth and VMI strike me as the best possible candidates. Maybe Fairfield, but I don't know too much about their academics?

But if they are simply looking for a football-only member, then yes, there are a lot more candidates, including the schools you listed.
(This post was last modified: 10-30-2015 08:21 AM by NittanyLion.)
10-30-2015 08:20 AM
Frank the Tank Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
(10-30-2015 08:20 AM)NittanyLion Wrote:  
(10-30-2015 07:08 AM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  04-jawdrop

Where to begin?

Richmond, Villanova, W&M, Davidson --- I can't imagine any of them want to be an ALL-sports member of the Patriot League.

I'm honestly not sure why the Patriot League needs an ALL-sports member though? Reading the article, it seems it's mostly a football issue. Get a 8th football member, and then it reduces the OOC-scheduling difficulties quite a bit.

(even then, is scheduling OOC games that difficult? There are plenty of Ivy League, NEC and CAA schools around that area)

Anyway, if they are looking for an all-sports member, Monmouth and VMI strike me as the best possible candidates. Maybe Fairfield, but I don't know too much about their academics?

But if they are simply looking for a football-only member, then yes, there are a lot more candidates, including the schools you listed.

I read it the same way: the heading in this thread is very misleading because I don't think the focus is on adding all-sports members. Instead, it's more of a football issue.

Making football-only additions would give the Patriot League a lot more options. I don't think that it would be realistic for current A-10 all-sports members to leave for all-sports invites to the Patriot League (as the A-10 is one of those few non-power conferences that gets a fair amount of NCAA Tournament revenue). Football-only would be a different matter.
(This post was last modified: 10-30-2015 09:23 AM by Frank the Tank.)
10-30-2015 09:06 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

chess Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU & Nebraska
Campbell Fighting Camels.
10-30-2015 09:13 AM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
William & Mary I think should give the Patriot a look because of the academics of the conference.
10-30-2015 09:22 AM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

I Root For: NDSU/Minnesota
What a bogus thread. No surprise, given the poster that started it.

The article is nothing more than some PL football coaches complaining about football scheduling.

That in no way, shape or form is an indication that the conference is actively looking for even football-affiliate expansion, let alone full-member expansion, candidates.

Davidson and Fordham are in the A10 for bball, which is a high-major. The PL is a low-major.

There's no more chance that any A10 school joins the PL as a full-member than there is that Georgetown leaves the Big East to become a full-member of the PL.

Army and Navy will never drop their football down to play in the PL.

That leaves the core-5 (Lehigh, Lafayette, Holy Cross, Bucknell and Colgate) to compete among themselves plus two football-only affiliates in Fordham and Georgetown, neither of which really want to be in the PL. Fordham wants to be a full scholarship, no AI, nationally competitive program. Georgetown wants to be in the Ivy League and puts minimal investment into their football program.

And then three non-football full-members, none of which will likely start football.

Boston U had football in the past, and they still have a reasonable stadium, but I doubt they bring football back.

If JMU and Delaware left the CAA, you might be able to get some of those teams as football-only affiliates. (Richmond, Villanova, Towson, W&M)

Maybe Davidson as a football-only affiliate.
(This post was last modified: 10-30-2015 09:28 AM by MplsBison.)
10-30-2015 09:25 AM
rjglassett Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Rutgers
It could work for Villanova if the cost of scholarships for football is too much to bear, and their program takes a downturn once Talley retires. Otherwise there isn't much of a reason for them to leave the CAA.

As for Viillanova pulling their other sports out of the Big East, well, never would be the appropriate response.
10-30-2015 09:26 AM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
What about Delaware themselves dipping their feet into the Patriot League?

I could see some attraction to playing in an all sport conference with Army & Navy.

It sounds like UD is leaning to stay FCS.
10-30-2015 10:04 AM
Advertisement

solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
Monmouth is the best bet if the Patriot wants a football only school. Once their contract with the Big South expires I would suspect they would be open to change.
10-30-2015 10:16 AM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

(10-30-2015 10:16 AM)solohawks Wrote:  Monmouth is the best bet if the Patriot wants a football only school. Once their contract with the Big South expires I would suspect they would be open to change.

Why would any FCS school that wants to have a full-scholarship, no-AI, nationally competitive football program consider the Patriot League?
10-30-2015 10:39 AM
Frank the Tank Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
(10-30-2015 10:04 AM)Kittonhead Wrote:  What about Delaware themselves dipping their feet into the Patriot League?

I could see some attraction to playing in an all sport conference with Army & Navy.

It sounds like UD is leaning to stay FCS.

I don't think Delaware has a choice. It doesn't matter if a FCS school wants to move to FBS (and there are tons of them) - that isn't relevant. Instead, the only question that matters is which FBS conference wants them? UMass is already a football nomad, which doesn't bode well for any Northeast-based FCS move-up.
10-30-2015 10:41 AM
Heisman

I know Patriot approached UNH for football-only membership along with Villanova, Richmond, and W&M, and they stick out as the academic outlier of that group, but Monmouth is a reach. A very far reach. Monmouth (and Fairfield) are gunning for CAA.

Marist would love it. I've heard they've tried, often.

I think this comes down to reapproaching Richmond, Villanova, and William & Mary, or maybe take a stab at other football-only options from NEC or Pioneer. Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if they could strike something up with Davidson. VMI...I wonder how Army and Navy would feel about that.

Agreed that this is a football issue and not an all-sports thing. I'm still confused by how Patriot handled its business. Had they gotten on this sooner, maybe they could have held Boston or Northeastern to keeping their football if it meant membership. They (Patriot) dragged their feet, and both dropped...and now they're "stuck" with Boston (as some Patriot fans aren't keen on them to begin with, as with American, who is a black-eye for their completion statistics).

My money's on Villanova. Their coach, who pushed like crazy to get to FBS, is gone sometime in the next 2-3 years, maybe sooner. They'll think this gets them closer to Penn on the recruitment and enrollment side. Their program gets a lot more local games out of it. The schools coming in might not upset the NIMBY/snobs of Radnor who don't want the athletic traffic through those parts. I suspect Villanova will go, but only if Richmond or W&M move with them.
10-30-2015 10:52 AM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

(10-30-2015 10:52 AM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  I know Patriot approached UNH for football-only membership along with Villanova, Richmond, and W&M, and they stick out as the academic outlier of that group, but Monmouth is a reach. A very far reach. Monmouth (and Fairfield) are gunning for CAA.

I think this comes down to reapproaching Richmond, Villanova, and William & Mary, or maybe take a stab at other football-only options from NEC or Pioneer. Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if they could strike something up with Davidson. VMI...I wonder how Army and Navy would feel about that.

Agreed that this is a football issue and not an all-sports thing. I'm still confused by how Patriot handled its business. Had they gotten on this sooner, maybe they could have held Boston or Northeastern to keeping their football if it meant membership. They (Patriot) dragged their feet, and both dropped...and now they're "stuck" with Boston (as some Patriot fans aren't keen on them to begin with, as with American, who is a black-eye for their completion statistics).

My money's on Villanova. Their coach, who pushed like crazy to get to FBS, is gone sometime in the next 2-3 years, maybe sooner. They'll think this gets them closer to Penn on the recruitment and enrollment side. Their program gets a lot more local games out of it. The schools coming in might not upset the NIMBY/snobs of Radnor who don't want the athletic traffic through those parts. I suspect Villanova will go, but only if Richmond or W&M move with them.

And if Villanova can disregard the AI, like I believe Fordham is allowed to do.
10-30-2015 12:16 PM
Advertisement

DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
There are a couple of northeast schools are interested in going to D2, but don't know if they fit.

Long Island-Post and Indiana, Pa.

Le Moyne might be something to look at. Not sure about Kutztown.
10-30-2015 12:29 PM
Heisman

(10-30-2015 12:16 PM)MplsBison Wrote:  
(10-30-2015 10:52 AM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  I know Patriot approached UNH for football-only membership along with Villanova, Richmond, and W&M, and they stick out as the academic outlier of that group, but Monmouth is a reach. A very far reach. Monmouth (and Fairfield) are gunning for CAA.

Fordham ran ahead of scholarships, and that cost them shots at conference-recognized merit. It actually helped Patriot out because you could have Fordham whip the rest of Patsy, go as an at-large, and the recognized conference champ would get the AQ. I think this is the first year (or is it next?) where Fordham bouts count in the eyes of Patriot. I suspect a bigger football conference increases the chances of more spots in the FCS bracket.

I don't think Fordham ignores AI. I think *all* members adhere to it for sponsored sports, but some might steer their reporting within a certain, acceptable percentage of the number. As in, an average for the team, not an individual count? I don't know. I do know AI is costing Patriot ALL of those schools it reached out to in that W&M FOIA expose.

I wish Fordham would drop out of A10 and join Patriot full-on.

Villanova will probably not have a problem with AI once Talley leaves. I think Talley recruits a team with guys who are probably close to the mark, anyway, and that Patriot affiliation isn't happening because Patriot football is so much more inferior to CAAF. But, it's only a matter of time.
10-30-2015 12:33 PM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

(10-30-2015 12:33 PM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  
(10-30-2015 12:16 PM)MplsBison Wrote:  

Fordham ran ahead of scholarships, and that cost them shots at conference-recognized merit. It actually helped Patriot out because you could have Fordham whip the rest of Patsy, go as an at-large, and the recognized conference champ would get the AQ. I think this is the first year (or is it next?) where Fordham bouts count in the eyes of Patriot. I suspect a bigger football conference increases the chances of more spots in the FCS bracket.

I don't think Fordham ignores AI. I think *all* members adhere to it for sponsored sports, but some might steer their reporting within a certain, acceptable percentage of the number. As in, an average for the team, not an individual count? I don't know. I do know AI is costing Patriot ALL of those schools it reached out to in that W&M FOIA expose.

I wish Fordham would drop out of A10 and join Patriot full-on.

Villanova will probably not have a problem with AI once Talley leaves. I think Talley recruits a team with guys who are probably close to the mark, anyway, and that Patriot affiliation isn't happening because Patriot football is so much more inferior to CAAF. But, it's only a matter of time.

Thanks for your post.

Fordham and Villanova should force the issue. Kill the AI for Patriot football, or they both walk.

There's no reason it should be a conference wide rule.

Let Lehigh, Lafayette, et al enforce their own strict standards in admissions.
10-30-2015 01:01 PM
Heisman

(10-30-2015 01:01 PM)MplsBison Wrote:  Fordham and Villanova should force the issue. Kill the AI for Patriot football, or they both walk.

There's no reason it should be a conference wide rule.

Remember who anointed that conference, and they use it, too. In fact, I think IL's is even higher than PL's.
(This post was last modified: 10-30-2015 01:42 PM by The Cutter of Bish.)
10-30-2015 01:40 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.