ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

What to expect from the Refs this season per Bryan Kersey.
paintedblue2 Offline
All American

I Root For: ODU
Bryan Kersey, NCAA men's basketball official, and Patty Broderick, women's basketball officiating coordinator were both part of the ODU Celebrity Night on Tuesday. What Kersey had to say is that this year college basketball referees are going to blow a lot more whistles.

Kersey said to expect the games to average 40-50 free throws each, and that the refs were instructed to keep turning the screws through Dec. and Jan. this year, rather than just in Nov. Both Kersey and Broderick said that the emphasis is to allow players a greater amount of room to maneuver down low without being molested. The arc was extended from three feet out to four fouls will be called on defenders in the post on contact with the ball handler anywhere except on the front of their body. Fouls will be called against defenders for hand checking guards bringing the ball down the court. The charge/block calls will favor the ball handlers, with more blocks being whistled. All of this, as well as the new 30 second clock are designed to create a better offensive flow, and more scoring, but the general consensus was that the result will be exceedingly long games with more bad shots. The women's games will consist of four 10 minute quarters starting this year; expect the men's game to follow suit next year.
(This post was last modified: 10-28-2015 11:05 PM by paintedblue2.)
10-28-2015 10:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MONARCHSWIN Offline
1st String

I Root For: Old Dominion
RE: What to expect from the Refs this season per Bryan Kersey.
(10-28-2015 10:48 PM)paintedblue2 Wrote:  Bryan Kersey, NCAA men's basketball official, and Patty Broderick, women's basketball officiating coordinator were both part of the ODU Celebrity Night on Tuesday. What Kersey had to say is that this year college basketball referees are going to blow a lot more whistles.

Kersey said to expect the games to average 40-50 free throws each, and that the refs were instructed to keep turning the screws through Dec. and Jan. this year, rather than just in Nov. Both Kersey and Broderick said that the emphasis is to allow players a greater amount of room to maneuver down low without being molested. The arc was extended from three feet out to four fouls will be called on defenders in the post on contact with the ball handler anywhere except on the front of their body. Fouls will be called against defenders for hand checking guards bringing the ball down the court. The charge/block calls will favor the ball handlers, with more blocks being whistled. All of this, as well as the new 30 second clock are designed to create a better offensive flow, and more scoring, but the general consensus was that the result will be exceedingly long games with more bad shots. The women's games will consist of four 10 minute quarters starting this year; expect the men's game to follow suit next year.

Could be a long season for the lambs and their "havoc" style!
07-coffee3
10-29-2015 05:55 AM
ODU AGGIE Offline
Heisman

(10-29-2015 05:55 AM)MONARCHSWIN Wrote:  
(10-28-2015 10:48 PM)paintedblue2 Wrote:  Bryan Kersey, NCAA men's basketball official, and Patty Broderick, women's basketball officiating coordinator were both part of the ODU Celebrity Night on Tuesday. What Kersey had to say is that this year college basketball referees are going to blow a lot more whistles.

Could be a long season for the lambs and their "havoc" style!
07-coffee3

Yeah, that was my first thought also.
10-29-2015 06:53 AM
reagan Offline
Water Engineer

More free throws? Why not play HORSE to see who wins? This will slow down the games even more.
10-29-2015 07:43 AM
ODUCoach Offline
Heisman

I didn't like the fact that Kersey reminded me that referees are real people too. In fact, I almost even liked him. And, to the point about the rules, it was enlightening to be reminded that the referees aren't the ones asking for more fouls to be called. It's the coaches. They make the rules. They ask the referees to enforce them.
10-29-2015 07:49 AM
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

Sucks for the game, but could help the Monarchs under Jeff Jones. His style of play has a lot more finesse. If we were playing Blaine ball I'd be worried as that was more about in your face defense and crash the glass rebounding.
10-29-2015 08:35 AM
Advertisement

MonarchManiac Offline
Heisman

Yeah - Kersey had a really nice presentation I thought. Nice things to say about the program. Insights into the profession of officiating. I really liked what he had to say (sans the part about the game slowing to a crawl).
10-29-2015 08:36 AM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I think we have heard this every year for the last 5 years.
10-29-2015 08:39 AM
odu83alumni Offline
All American

I Root For: odu
Im glad, can't stand the havoc all the fouling. Sometimes it has looked like a playground out there.
10-29-2015 08:54 AM
ODUR8R Offline
All American

Re: RE: What to expect from the Refs this season per Bryan Kersey.
(10-29-2015 08:35 AM)monarx Wrote:  Sucks for the game, but could help the Monarchs under Jeff Jones. His style of play has a lot more finesse. If we were playing Blaine ball I'd be worried as that was more about in your face defense and crash the glass rebounding.

I see it the other way. IMO JJ plays the more aggressive, physical style defense. BT played a lot of zone, JJ has them hedging screens out to 35 feet.
10-29-2015 09:03 AM
Fatalisk Offline
All American

(10-29-2015 09:03 AM)ODUR8R Wrote:  
(10-29-2015 08:35 AM)monarx Wrote:  Sucks for the game, but could help the Monarchs under Jeff Jones. His style of play has a lot more finesse. If we were playing Blaine ball I'd be worried as that was more about in your face defense and crash the glass rebounding.

I see it the other way. IMO JJ plays the more aggressive, physical style defense. BT played a lot of zone, JJ has them hedging screens out to 35 feet.

Yeaaa. One of the last words I'd use to describe JJ's defensive philosophy is "finesse."
10-29-2015 09:07 AM
Advertisement

ODUCoach Offline
Heisman

(10-29-2015 08:39 AM)Gilesfan Wrote:  I think we have heard this every year for the last 5 years.

I agree. But, Kersey addressed that. He basically said that each time it has been done in the past, the refs get a call after non-conference telling them to easy up. The message they've been given is that this year, everyone wants them to stay the course throughout the year.
10-29-2015 09:10 AM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

Im on the fence on this. I don't want to watch games with 40 free throws. The beginning of the year when all the refs did was blow whistle was painful to watch and the players never adjusted to the increased foul calls.
10-29-2015 09:57 AM
Razor Ramon Monarch Offline
Heisman

If they call more fouls, with our ability to shoot ft's with Freeman and bacote, we could salt a lot of games away at the end should we be in the double bonus.

Just saying.
10-29-2015 10:00 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ODU DAD Offline
2nd String

Adjusting the R
(10-29-2015 09:10 AM)ODUCoach Wrote:  
(10-29-2015 08:39 AM)Gilesfan Wrote:  I think we have heard this every year for the last 5 years.

I agree. But, Kersey addressed that. He basically said that each time it has been done in the past, the refs get a call after non-conference telling them to easy up. The message they've been given is that this year, everyone wants them to stay the course throughout the year.

Yea, Bryan Kersey was pretty adamant about that. Also, it seemed to me that JJ was not very pleased about the increase in blown whistles precipitated from some of these new rule changes.

Some of these rule changes include:

- 30 second shot clock
- Eliminating the 5 second closely guarded rule while dribbling the ball
- Removing the prohibition on dunking in pregame warmups and at halftime
- Removing the ability for a coach to call timeout when the ball is live
- Making class B tech fouls (hanging on the rim & delaying the resumption of play, for example) one shot fouls. Previously, 2 shots were granted for these types of tech fouls.

Experimental Rule
The panel (NABC) also approved an experimental rule to allow players 6 personal fouls instead of 5 in the 2016 postseason tournaments other than the Div. 1 Men's Basketball Championship.
10-29-2015 10:06 AM
Monarchblue Offline
Heisman

I am all for the increased foul calls if they actually stick to it from now until the end of times. The game has turned into a wrestling match, and in my opinion, that needs to change. The only way to get there is to change the way the game is called, and you have to start somewhere, so I am willing to deal with it for one season until teams and players realize they are committed and change the way they play.

The 30 second shot clock, on the other hand, is a terrible idea. As Jeff said in the panel discussion, it is going to accomplish exactly the opposite of what they claim it will, and will only benefit the Blue Bloods. You are going to see everybody using token pressure to make teams use up 10 seconds to get the ball across half court. It will take another few seconds to get the offense set, and leave teams with no chance to run any kind of offense besides pick and roll or basic dribble drive. Good shots are going to be harder to come by. Shooting percentages are going to go down, and more coaches are going to be compelled to play grinding defense now that they have to grind for 5 fewer seconds, and the biggest problem is that this is just the beginning. Now that they have made a change, we will see a push to move to 24 seconds in the next few years, if not sooner.
(This post was last modified: 10-29-2015 12:30 PM by Monarchblue.)
10-29-2015 12:28 PM
Advertisement

Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

TL;DR version

(10-28-2015 10:48 PM)paintedblue2 Wrote:  What Kersey had to say is that this year college basketball referees are going to blow a lot more.
10-29-2015 12:45 PM
odu83alumni Offline
All American

I Root For: odu
(10-29-2015 12:28 PM)Monarchblue Wrote:  I am all for the increased foul calls if they actually stick to it from now until the end of times. The game has turned into a wrestling match, and in my opinion, that needs to change. The only way to get there is to change the way the game is called, and you have to start somewhere, so I am willing to deal with it for one season until teams and players realize they are committed and change the way they play.

The 30 second shot clock, on the other hand, is a terrible idea. As Jeff said in the panel discussion, it is going to accomplish exactly the opposite of what they claim it will, and will only benefit the Blue Bloods. You are going to see everybody using token pressure to make teams use up 10 seconds to get the ball across half court. It will take another few seconds to get the offense set, and leave teams with no chance to run any kind of offense besides pick and roll or basic dribble drive. Good shots are going to be harder to come by. Shooting percentages are going to go down, and more coaches are going to be compelled to play grinding defense now that they have to grind for 5 fewer seconds, and the biggest problem is that this is just the beginning. Now that they have made a change, we will see a push to move to 24 seconds in the next few years, if not sooner.

I agree with you the game is too much of a wrestling match and foul shooting isn't something to be taken for granted. Foul shooting is an art and important part of the game.
10-29-2015 04:15 PM
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-29-2015 09:07 AM)Fatalisk Wrote:  
(10-29-2015 09:03 AM)ODUR8R Wrote:  

Yeaaa. One of the last words I'd use to describe JJ's defensive philosophy is "finesse."

The finesse part is on the offense, at least compared to BT. I think the defenses between BT and JJ are similar, but BTs teams were a bit more out of control, where as the JJ teams seem very focused and strategic in their "aggressive" defense.
10-29-2015 04:43 PM
devyanks90 Offline
All American

Folding@NCAAbbs
(10-29-2015 10:00 AM)Razor Ramon Monarch Wrote:  If they call more fouls, with our ability to shoot ft's with Freeman and bacote, we could salt a lot of games away at the end should we be in the double bonus.

Just saying.

We were 264th in FT% last year.
10-29-2015 08:54 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.