Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

AAC #4 Conference??
Mikeyp Offline
2nd String

I Root For: ECU, AAC
AAC #4 Conference??
Came across this site that was posted on the ECU board which has the AAC ranked as the 4th best conference in college football. Not sure that I would totally agree but it's nice to see we can finally get some respect. Also states that if an AAC team goes undefeated they WILL make the college football playoff. Not sure I agree with that either even though I think we should be included.

http://www.examiner.com/article/college-...015-season
10-28-2015 05:26 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

VirginiaPirate Offline
2nd String

I Root For: ECU
RE: AAC #4 Conference??
As compared to the ACC and P12 top to bottom, I would agree with these rankings as of this week. Ideally Temple wins out and Memphis or Houston win out in the West and 2 undefeated teams meet for the AAC Championship game. Could see that winning team getting a playoff spot.
10-28-2015 07:00 AM
Halfcourt Offline
Rec League All-Star

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(10-28-2015 07:00 AM)VirginiaPirate Wrote:  As compared to the ACC and P12 top to bottom, I would agree with these rankings as of this week. Ideally Temple wins out and Memphis or Houston win out in the West and 2 undefeated teams meet for the AAC Championship game. Could see that winning team getting a playoff spot.

Memphis and Temple play each other. They won't both be undefeated in the championship game. Your scenario could happen with UH and Temple though.
10-28-2015 07:06 AM
dave108 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: cincy
(10-28-2015 07:06 AM)Halfcourt Wrote:  
(10-28-2015 07:00 AM)VirginiaPirate Wrote:  As compared to the ACC and P12 top to bottom, I would agree with these rankings as of this week. Ideally Temple wins out and Memphis or Houston win out in the West and 2 undefeated teams meet for the AAC Championship game. Could see that winning team getting a playoff spot.

Memphis and Temple play each other. They won't both be undefeated in the championship game. Your scenario could happen with UH and Temple though.

i'd bet my left nut (at my age, I don't use it that much anyway) that there's no way a 'merican team can / will make the playoff. just too darn political. maybe, in a year or two, but not this year.
10-28-2015 07:08 AM
ECU_Pirate Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: East Carolina
(10-28-2015 07:08 AM)dave108 Wrote:  

i'd bet my left nut (at my age, I don't use it that much anyway) that there's no way a 'merican team can / will make the playoff. just too darn political. maybe, in a year or two, but not this year.

+1

I mean if TCU or Baylor had changed the name on there Jersey to TEXAS, they would have made the playoffs last year... :-)
10-28-2015 08:09 AM
Advertisement

TyBull Offline
1st String

I Root For: USF / GA Tech
#4, Maybe in our hearts but not in our bank accounts
10-28-2015 08:11 AM
Mikeyp Offline
2nd String

I Root For: ECU, AAC
I have no doubt that we are better than or at least as good as the ACC but I don't know about us being better than the PAC 12.
10-28-2015 08:46 AM
dezagcoog Offline
1st String

I Root For: Coogs!

I tend to agree that this year is a bust, even if Memphis pulls an undefeated season(no knock on Memphis, the way things work is usually you have to build on at least a year or two of record before getting any credit with people, as a conference, and as a team). But I truly believe that if the top of the conference does this a cpl more years in a row, and we don't lose to any FCS or G5 teams as a conference, we can relatively easily make it into the playoffs.
(This post was last modified: 10-28-2015 09:38 AM by dezagcoog.)
10-28-2015 09:36 AM
PirateMarv Offline
Hall of Famer

Take it easy man. You still might need that nad. Be advised though, that AAC teams are being discussed even by AAC haters.

http://csnbbs.com/thread-754678.html
(This post was last modified: 10-28-2015 09:48 AM by PirateMarv.)
10-28-2015 09:48 AM
Advertisement

First Mate Offline
1st String

(10-28-2015 05:26 AM)Mikeyp Wrote:  Came across this site that was posted on the ECU board which has the AAC ranked as the 4th best conference in college football. Not sure that I would totally agree but it's nice to see we can finally get some respect. Also states that if an AAC team goes undefeated they WILL make the college football playoff. Not sure I agree with that either even though I think we should be included.

http://www.examiner.com/article/college-...015-season

I want to see Memphis or any of our teams make it through undefeated. They will have to be seriously considered for the playoff if there are multiple 1 loss teams in the top 5-10.
10-28-2015 10:56 AM
bearcatmark Offline

I Root For: the Deliverator
AAC is the 6th best conference, but it's closer to the 5th best this year than the 7th best.
10-28-2015 11:12 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
gulfcoastgal Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
I think so too. I wonder if a good AAC/bad ACC bowl season would be enough close the gap.
10-28-2015 11:20 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
The AAC has been better than the ACC so far.

Have to keep it going, though.
10-28-2015 01:55 PM
Advertisement

GreenWave16 Offline
Banned

I Root For: Tulane
I would have the AAC as the #3 conference right behind the Big Ten and the SEC but I do think we would give them both a run for their money on the field.
10-28-2015 05:14 PM
ECBrad Offline
1st String

(10-28-2015 05:14 PM)GreenWave16 Wrote:  I would have the AAC as the #3 conference right behind the Big Ten and the SEC but I do think we would give them both a run for their money on the field.

I guess that in a weird kind of way the consistency of your stupidity is admirable.
10-28-2015 05:37 PM
GreenWave16 Offline
Banned

I Root For: Tulane
(10-28-2015 05:37 PM)ECBrad Wrote:  
(10-28-2015 05:14 PM)GreenWave16 Wrote:  I would have the AAC as the #3 conference right behind the Big Ten and the SEC but I do think we would give them both a run for their money on the field.

I guess that in a weird kind of way the consistency of your stupidity is admirable.

Sure because when other people get on here and thump their chest on how mighty the AAC is, that is okay but when I say something it is stupidity. I always hear about comparisons to the G4 conferences and that is fine if you think we are on their level but we are not. We are not even in the same universe as those bush league conferences. We are more in line with the power schools, that is where we belong but it seems some of our fan base does not have that kind of confidence. That's fine, you keep thinking small time, I will continue to think big time.
10-28-2015 06:08 PM
dezagcoog Offline
1st String

I Root For: Coogs!
(10-28-2015 06:08 PM)GreenWave16 Wrote:  
(10-28-2015 05:37 PM)ECBrad Wrote:  

Sure because when other people get on here and thump their chest on how mighty the AAC is, that is okay but when I say something it is stupidity. I always hear about comparisons to the G4 conferences and that is fine if you think we are on their level but we are not. We are not even in the same universe as those bush league conferences. We are more in line with the power schools, that is where we belong but it seems some of our fan base does not have that kind of confidence. That's fine, you keep thinking small time, I will continue to think big time.

I think it was a bit more about you easily putting us ahead of the B12 and even the Pac 12 to some extent...
(This post was last modified: 10-28-2015 06:39 PM by dezagcoog.)
10-28-2015 06:38 PM
Advertisement

Thegoldstandard Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Southern Miss

10-28-2015 09:36 PM
BealeStreetTiger Offline
Banned

I Root For: Memphis
(10-28-2015 09:36 PM)Thegoldstandard Wrote:  

After the old BE totally broke up and the Catholic 7 reformed, all of the other conferences thought the AAC was toast. Then UCONN won the NCAA National championship in basketball. Now we have multiple football teams in the top 25 and 3 still undefeated.

As Chad Kelly cautioned before our game (Memphis)….”They’re undefeated for a reason”.

The same can be said for the others.
10-29-2015 01:15 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
Re: RE: AAC #4 Conference??
(10-29-2015 01:15 AM)BealeStreetTiger Wrote:  
(10-28-2015 09:36 PM)Thegoldstandard Wrote:  

After the old BE totally broke up and the Catholic 7 reformed, all of the other conferences thought the AAC was toast. Then UCONN won the NCAA National championship in basketball. Now we have multiple football teams in the top 25 and 3 still undefeated.

As Chad Kelly cautioned before our game (Memphis)….”They’re undefeated for a reason”.

The same can be said for the others.

You forget some key information here, namely that last year, our most recent year, our basketball was lousy in both the regular season and NCAA tournament, and also, last year our football was terrible, we finished as the #3 conference - not amongst the P5 but amongst the G5. So it's unwise to act as if two months of very good football performance right now means that we have permanently established ourselves as a "tweener" or even the equal of P5. That's very premature.

As for our unbeatens, as someone posted last week, the SOS for all three of our unbeaten teams has been extremely soft. Memphis is an exception, because they did handily defeat Ole Miss, a good high-ranked team. But Houston and Temple have, so far, not proven anything against quality teams.

Now, a soft SOS doesn't necessarily mean an unbeaten team is a paper tiger. Heck, if the 1985 Chicago Bears had played Houston's schedule, they would be 7-0 too, and that wouldn't mean they aren't a great team, it just would mean they haven't yet had a chance to show how great they are. The same may prove true for Temple and Houston, with Temple having their chance this weekend. But as of now, we really don't know how good those two teams are.
(This post was last modified: 10-29-2015 06:33 AM by quo vadis.)
10-29-2015 06:27 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.