Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Coach Changes - Trickle Down Effect
Bookmark and Share
Start_Wearing_Purple Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: JMU
Coach Changes - Trickle Down Effect
Should I be nervous? Should Bourne start putting names on that little list in his top left desk drawer.
No, I don't think Withers will be getting an interview at Maryland or USC or Miami, or VPI. But there will be coaching movement that creates vacancies.
He may already be on someone else's list in their top left desk drawer.
10-26-2015 08:57 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JMUrcc06 Offline
1st String

RE: Coach Changes - Trickle Down Effect
A VT alum sent this to me this morning: http://www.gobblercountry.com/2015/10/22...in/9377879

I'm not sure if we should be nervous or not, I know it has been discussed on other threads previously. I can't help but be a little nervous.
10-26-2015 09:01 AM
ShadyP Online
Heisman

NO one knows for sure.....but I am not so sure that anyone is going to pursue an FCS guy as there new HC when he seems to have issues on the defensive side of the ball. Not something I am going to worry about, b/c if it happens it happens.
10-26-2015 09:03 AM
JMU2004 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: DUKES
A strong topic of conversation among our group.

His D was completely exposed Saturday, so thats going to hurt on his resume. Additionally, Withers will have to show that it wasn't just the Vad Lee show over the next 5 weeks.

Don't get me wrong, I love what Withers has done...I'm just looking through an AD's lens. There a few flies in the ointment.
(This post was last modified: 10-26-2015 09:16 AM by JMU2004.)
10-26-2015 09:08 AM
JMUrcc06 Offline
1st String

(10-26-2015 09:03 AM)ShadyP Wrote:  NO one knows for sure.....but I am not so sure that anyone is going to pursue an FCS guy as there new HC when he seems to have issues on the defensive side of the ball. Not something I am going to worry about, b/c if it happens it happens.

Good point ShadyP to not worry about it, because if it happens, it happens. I'm not saying it keeps me up at night, just pointing out that I received a text with that article, mere minutes before this thread was created.

I will say, I think if it does happen, we're in a great position. I think we could approach other Def. Coord, etc from P5 schools like we did with EW and lure them with the HC title. Our giant budget and flashy facilities help us stand out from other FCS, pair that with the promotion/title and we're in a good spot. Especially since that trickle down effect also corresponds to the entire coaching staff when a HC leaves. All of those P5 staff members will most likely be looking for jobs as well and would be honored to land as HC of JMUFB.
10-26-2015 09:09 AM
ShadyP Online
Heisman

(10-26-2015 09:08 AM)JMU2004 Wrote:  A strong topic of conversation among our group.

His D was completely exposed Saturday, so that going to hurt on his resume. Additionally, Withers will have to show that it wasn't just the Vad Lee show over the next 5 weeks.

Don't get me wrong, I love what Withers has done...I'm just looking through an AD's lens. There a few flies in the ointment.

Very true, I agree with that assessment.

I think we really need to look at providing some help to our #2 CB --- that guy really got exposed/used on Saturday. Also, it would have helped a ton has JMU been able to generate some pressure on the QB.
10-26-2015 09:13 AM
Advertisement

Dukester Online

Slight threadjack - but I was looking yesterday.

Our defensive coordinator was the secondary coach for Western Carolina before coming to JMU. Last year he was our outside linebackers coach.

This year he's our defensive coordinator.

That in itself does not mean everything, but with the struggles we had on defense last year, you would of thought we would of had better options. I really think it makes sense to have a proven d-Cordinator at some level in our case.

This gets me back to is JMU giving Witthera enough money for his staff?
10-26-2015 09:16 AM
POTUS#4 Offline
1st String

(10-26-2015 09:16 AM)Dukester Wrote:  ...

Doubtful. I think Withers can attract a lot of good young (cheap) talent with his connections, but you're always going to have some misses when you rely on that.
10-26-2015 02:11 PM
olddawg Online
Hall of Famer

Withers makes more than Mickey did. I'm guessing that the assistant coach pool of money was at least partially dipped into. Perhaps that's why we have so many young assistant coaches.
10-26-2015 02:32 PM
bridgeforthduke Offline
All American

I Root For: James Madison
(10-26-2015 09:16 AM)Dukester Wrote:  This gets me back to is JMU giving Witthera enough money for his staff?

No. I think our co-OC last year that left for Houston was being paid $60,000 at JMU.

I don't see Withers leaving unless it's an AAC or P5 school.
10-26-2015 02:54 PM
Hotrod829 Offline
All American

(10-26-2015 02:54 PM)bridgeforthduke Wrote:  
(10-26-2015 09:16 AM)Dukester Wrote:  This gets me back to is JMU giving Witthera enough money for his staff?

No. I think our co-OC last year that left for Houston was being paid $60,000 at JMU.

I think he leave for any FBS job that opens. Would you have expected the asst. Head coach of Ohio State to take a JMU HC job ? lol
10-26-2015 03:26 PM
Advertisement

JMU1987UVA1998 Online
1st String

(10-26-2015 03:26 PM)Hotrod829 Wrote:  
(10-26-2015 02:54 PM)bridgeforthduke Wrote:  

I think he leave for any FBS job that opens. Would you have expected the asst. Head coach of Ohio State to take a JMU HC job ? lol

If he were going to get fired he would. Ohio State's D was pathetic and now look at ours. I have no complaints about the offense Saturday. In fact felt sorry that Austin Lane and Brandon Ravenel had to come out and talk to the media. Then we had to wait for 15-20 minutes for Dave Thomas to fill time before EW came out and was curt as usual with his responses other than to admit "we got our arses kicked on defense". No joke and on special teams too when everyone in the stands knew Rocco was going to onside kick from the 50 after a roughing call on the Maine two point conversion play.
(This post was last modified: 10-26-2015 03:35 PM by JMU1987UVA1998.)
10-26-2015 03:28 PM
jmu82 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Dukes
Wither's probably lost more HC opportunities then he gained this past Saturday. For this year, i mean.
10-26-2015 03:32 PM
JMU1987UVA1998 Online
1st String

(10-26-2015 03:32 PM)jmu82 Wrote:  Wither's probably lost more HC opportunities then he gained this past Saturday. For this year, i mean.

+1 I agree.
10-26-2015 03:36 PM
Potomac Offline
Hall of Famer

I agree, Withers looked good... until the game went final and he just lost some serious stock. JMU FB program record worst defensive performance isn't something you want on your resume. Losing your starting QB going into three tough games that could keep you out of the playoffs doesn't look good.

Some may have been wondering if he could keep his team at a high level with the ESPN distraction and the answer is no. Now he has to prove that he wasn't just relying on a single, very talented player for the FCS level. EW still has a lot of work to do before her moves up the list on any competent athletic director's candidacy list
One thing that has mainly evaded EW so far is consistent wins against top quality FCS opponents. The playoff loss to Liberty looms big too.
(This post was last modified: 10-26-2015 04:34 PM by Potomac.)
10-26-2015 04:31 PM
91Alum Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU/ND
(10-26-2015 09:03 AM)ShadyP Wrote:  NO one knows for sure.....but I am not so sure that anyone is going to pursue an FCS guy as there new HC when he seems to have issues on the defensive side of the ball. Not something I am going to worry about, b/c if it happens it happens.

I think Babcock would look at the last CAA coach who got an ACC job, and likely not want to follow that mold.

Not that Withers doesn't deserve an FBS gig - I just don't see VT going the FCS direction for a hire. Mike London sealed that deal.
10-26-2015 04:41 PM
Advertisement

nyduke Offline
1st String

I Root For: jmu
Giving up over 700 yards..........enough said
10-26-2015 04:54 PM
Longhorn Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-26-2015 09:16 AM)Dukester Wrote:  Slight threadjack - but I was looking yesterday.

Our defensive coordinator was the secondary coach for Western Carolina before coming to JMU. Last year he was our outside linebackers coach.

That in itself does not mean everything, but with the struggles we had on defense last year, you would of thought we would of had better options. I really think it makes sense to have a proven d-Cordinator at some level in our case.

Honestly, I'd have to think our Defensive Coord. Has to be on the hot seat.
10-26-2015 05:41 PM
White Hall Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Dukes
(10-26-2015 05:41 PM)Longhorn Wrote:  
(10-26-2015 09:16 AM)Dukester Wrote:  Slight threadjack - but I was looking yesterday.

Honestly, I'd have to think our Defensive Coord. Has to be on the hot seat.

According to today's USA Today, EW is a candidate (among several) at Maryland and UVA. I can't see either happening as Maryland needs to make a big splash and UVA is probably leery of hiring from the FCS again. But as others have noted, if it happens, we'll move on and be fine.
10-26-2015 07:38 PM
BDKJMU Offline
Heisman

(10-26-2015 09:13 AM)ShadyP Wrote:  
(10-26-2015 09:08 AM)JMU2004 Wrote:  A strong topic of conversation among our group.

His D was completely exposed Saturday, so that going to hurt on his resume. Additionally, Withers will have to show that it wasn't just the Vad Lee show over the next 5 weeks.

Very true, I agree with that assessment.

I think we really need to look at providing some help to our #2 CB --- that guy really got exposed/used on Saturday. Also, it would have helped a ton has JMU been able to generate some pressure on the QB.

Starting corners are #14 and #44. They all got exposed, but I think the one who did the most was the #3 CB, true Fr, #26..
10-26-2015 07:47 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.