UCF HC George O'Leary resigns

10-25-2015 03:24 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
RE: UCF HC George O'Leary resigns
Interesting. Danny Barrett, UC alum and former QB, named interim coach.

10-25-2015 04:23 PM
OKIcat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
As coaches and fans I think we always worry about a winless opponent wondering if they're next game is the one where they get it all together. Combine that with the favored team thinking they can just show up and you have the makings of an upset. So now, add the UCF coaching situation to that mix.

Seems to me though, the conditions are right for an entertaining...and relaxing day @ Nippert with a Bearcat blowout this Saturday. What more could we ask for? No rain perhaps.

10-25-2015 05:35 PM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Bearcats U
No surprise. It was only a matter of when and not if. How quickly UCF went from diamonds to dumpsters since the 2013/14 Fiesta Bowl win.

10-25-2015 05:59 PM
Racinejake Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC
Hopefully the players and coaches are focused on this game despite the season UCF is having. They can use the Miami (OH) game as evidence of the fact we can't just show up and win regardless of how terrible the opponent is.

10-25-2015 06:33 PM
Advertisement

Dannyboy Offline
All American

I Root For: Bearcats
It's amazing how they imploded. How does that happen?

10-25-2015 10:14 PM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
(10-25-2015 10:14 PM)Dannyboy Wrote:  It's amazing how they imploded. How does that happen?

Lost a bunch of coordinators and asistants before this season, didn't they? Or was that last year? Perhaps those guys were running the show.

(This post was last modified: 10-26-2015 07:43 AM by rath v2.0.)
10-26-2015 07:43 AM
OKIcat Offline
Heisman

Not sure why UCF unraveled, but it just goes to show...people thought O'Leary was god-like with their BCS bowl win over Baylor and UCF was bound for the P5 because of on-field results. My how quickly things can change.

It's an important perspective to have when critiquing any head coach. It takes a quality coaching staff; talent and experience on the field, a favorable schedule and a few good bounces of the ball from time to time. Obviously, much is beyond the control of the head coach and we as fans often lose sight of that in the heat of the battles.

10-26-2015 07:57 AM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

(10-26-2015 07:43 AM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  
(10-25-2015 10:14 PM)Dannyboy Wrote:  It's amazing how they imploded. How does that happen?

Lost a bunch of coordinators and asistants before this season, didn't they? Or was that last year? Perhaps those guys were running the show.

This year and I think you hit the nail on the head. The OC they had previously retired (Charlie Taafee). He was the guy credited as the architect of their offense and was the key recruiter. The defensive coordinator (Tyson Summers) left to go to Colorado State.

After Taafee retired they named their offensive line coach (Brent Key) OC. According to the beat writer at the Orlando Sentinel, this was the fatal mistake. While key was a good OL coach, he apparently knows nothing about running an offense. Interestingly, his coaching contract was set up so where he was to be O'Leary's successor. UCF has announced they will be going in a new direction so there is a $700K buyout. Talk about a mess.

10-26-2015 08:11 AM
Advertisement

KCat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
Didn't O'leary take over the Athletic Director job last summer...
Is he resigning from both football coach and athletic director..

10-26-2015 09:02 AM
KCat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
Sorry,,,,,,, should of read the article,,,, he did resign from both.........

10-26-2015 09:04 AM
Racinejake Offline
Heisman

It'll be interesting to see who they go after. It's an odd year for college football in that its midway through the season and there are already a bunch of HC openings. Competition for quality coaches will be fierce.

10-26-2015 09:22 AM
Crewdogz Offline
I'm Your Huckleberry

I Root For: America
Donators
(10-26-2015 09:22 AM)Racinejake Wrote:  It'll be interesting to see who they go after. It's an odd year for college football in that its midway through the season and there are already a bunch of HC openings. Competition for quality coaches will be fierce.

Here's who the Orlando Sentinel is speculating they'll hire:

Quote:CF coach George O’Leary’s decision to retire means there are now seven college football coaching vacancies (Illinois, Maryland, Miami, North Texas, South Carolina and UCF).

UCF President John Hitt said the Knights' next coach would be someone from outside the program.

Here are some strong coaches who could be considered for the job:

Jeff Brohm

The Buzz: Brohm, 44, is in the middle of his second season as head coach at Western Kentucky, where he’s led the Hilltoppers to a 14-7 record, including a 6-2 mark in 2015. Before that, he spent time as an assistant coach at Louisville (where he played quarterback from 1989-93), Illinois, FAU and UAB. An offensive-minded coach, Brohm has quickly transformed Western Kentucky into an offensive power, with the Hilltoppers averaging 41 points per game and 522 yards per game. He’s credited for helping develop WKU quarterback Brandon Doughty (3,034 passing yards, 27 TDs), who he recruited during his time in South Florida. His current contract pays him $613,920 this season, according to USA Today.

Kirby Smart

The Buzz: The 39-year-old Smart has spent a good portion of his coaching career as an assistant coach under Nick Saban. For the past eight seasons, Smart has been the defensive coordinator at Alabama where he has helped turn the Crimson Tide into a defensive force. This season, the defense ranks among the top 10 in total defense in the country. His name perpetually finds its way into conversations about coaching vacancies, but Smart has chosen to stay put. Saban's coaching disciples have done relatively well, including Jim McElwain at Florida. However, with a salary currently at $1.35 million, Smart may be too costly for UCF.

Geoff Collins

The Buzz: UCF wouldn’t have to go far if interested in Collins, who currently serves as the defensive coordinator with the Florida Gators. Nicknamed the ‘Minister of Mayhem,’ the 44-year-old Collins has been one of the driving forces in remodeling defenses in the SEC. He spent four seasons at Mississippi State, where the Bulldogs never gave up more than 23 points per game and where last season the team recorded 37 sacks. Before that, he spent one season at FIU and one season (2008-09) at UCF as the team’s linebackers coach.

DJ Durkin

The Buzz: As the defensive coordinator at Michigan, Durkin has quickly transformed the Wolverines' defense into the best in the country. The unit has allowed just 210 yards and nine points per game this season. The 37-year-old Durkin has coached at Notre Dame, Bowling Green, Stanford and Florida under Urban Meyer, Jim Harbaugh and Will Muschamp. His last stop was as the Gators' defensive coordinator in 2013, helping to turn the unit into a top-20 defense. After Muschamp announced he was stepping down, Durkin was named the interim coach for the team’s bowl game – a 28-20 win over East Carolina in the Birmingham Bowl.

Mario Cristobal

The Buzz: Cristobal, 45, currently serves as the offensive line coach at Alabama – a job he’s held since 2013. Like Brohm, Cristobal has head coaching experience. He spent six seasons as the coach at FIU, where he led the Panthers to a 27-47 record, including a seven-win season in 2010 and an eight-win season in 2011. More important for UCF – Cristobal is one of the top recruiters in the country – helping Alabama secure top talent across the country. A Miami native, his connections with the South Florida recruiting trail would be a bonus for a program whose last couple of classes ranked near the bottom of the country. That said, Cristobal’s name will come up as a potential replacement for Al Golden at Miami as well.

10-26-2015 09:41 AM
Advertisement

The T-Shirt Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Bearcats
I know its been mentioned that former UC QB Danny Barrett will be their interim HC for our game and the season, but havent seen it mentioned that we have former UCF QB Darin Hinshaw as our QB coach (and possible OC once Gran bolts IMO).

It doesn't mean anything, just a fun fact.

10-27-2015 09:48 AM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

OT: but on the AAC board there are rumors swirling that Virginia Tech has nabbed Chad Morris from SMU after one season.

10-27-2015 09:50 AM
Racinejake Offline
Heisman

(10-27-2015 09:50 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  OT: but on the AAC board there are rumors swirling that Virginia Tech has nabbed Chad Morris from SMU after one season.

That would be hilarious. Must feel like they missed their chance last year. I think Morris will get SMU in the right direction (they are already much improved if you watch them vs how terrible they were last year), however, they are still only 1-6.

10-27-2015 10:03 AM
OKIcat Offline
Heisman

Can't imagine the VT faithful would be happy hiring a first year G5 coach @ SMU with a 1-6 record.

I'm guessing any MAC coach worth his salt will be gone before their respective bowl games? Bowling Green and Toledo coaches must be on many P5 short lists.

10-27-2015 10:09 AM
Advertisement

dossbig Offline
1st String

I Root For: CINCINNATI
(10-27-2015 09:50 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  OT: but on the AAC board there are rumors swirling that Virginia Tech has nabbed Chad Morris from SMU after one season.

Beamer retiring at the end of year.

11-02-2015 12:42 AM
Banter Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC Bearcats
It is a little off topic, and I don't know if he will survive another year, but an 0-8 year and counting for UCF should be a good time for Taggert and USF to finally get back on the right track. They were always a lot of sizzle, but I do miss having "big" games against USF.

11-02-2015 08:18 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.