Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Should the American expand?
shizzle787 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UConn
Should the American expand?
Here's what I'm thinking (9-game conference schedule, 2 power 5 opponents, 1 non-fcs opponent):
East:
UConn
Cincy
Temple
Tulane
USF
UCF
E. Carolina
Marshall (football-only)
West:
SMU
Houston
Navy
Memphis
Tulsa
BYU
Boise State (football-only)
Air Force (football-only)
16 in football, 12 in basketball
10-24-2015 10:06 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Farmer Jack Offline
Banned

I Root For: Univ of Houston
RE: Should the American expand?
Apparently you don't know how expansion works.
10-24-2015 10:10 AM
shizzle787 Offline
1st String

(10-24-2015 10:10 AM)Farmer Jack Wrote:  Apparently you don't know how expansion works.

This isn't the Big East 2.0 as only 1/4 of the schools would be football-only.
10-24-2015 10:10 AM
pesik Offline
Legend

I Root For: Houston
why would we invite marshall if we can take MWC schools? why would marshall be football only when they are in distance

why is boise football only if we are going to take byu as an all member (boise basketball is better that a few of our bottom feeders)
10-24-2015 10:19 AM
shizzle787 Offline
1st String

(10-24-2015 10:19 AM)pesik Wrote:  why would we invite marshall if we can take MWC schools? why would marshall be football only when they are in distance

why is boise football only if we are going to take byu as an all member (boise basketball is better that a few of our bottom feeders)

Marshall is a brand name, and 12 for basketball is perfect. They are also 6-1 this year and won 13 games last year, but are terrible at basketball.
Boise State is not that good at basketball. If we are going to add in basketball, we should only add schools that add value (BYU does, Marshall and Boise State do not).
10-24-2015 10:24 AM
macgar32 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
(10-24-2015 10:06 AM)shizzle787 Wrote:  Here's what I'm thinking (9-game conference schedule, 2 power 5 opponents, 1 non-fcs opponent):
East:
UConn
Cincy
Temple
Tulane
USF
UCF
E. Carolina
Marshall (football-only)
West:
SMU
Houston
Navy
Memphis
Tulsa
BYU

What does BYU gain by joining the AAC football only...

BYU probably would likely lose money
10-24-2015 10:27 AM
Advertisement

shizzle787 Offline
1st String

(10-24-2015 10:27 AM)macgar32 Wrote:  
(10-24-2015 10:06 AM)shizzle787 Wrote:  Here's what I'm thinking (9-game conference schedule, 2 power 5 opponents, 1 non-fcs opponent):
East:
UConn
Cincy
Temple
Tulane
USF
UCF
E. Carolina
Marshall (football-only)
West:
SMU
Houston
Navy
Memphis
Tulsa
BYU

They would be joining for all sports.
10-24-2015 10:32 AM
pesik Offline
Legend

(10-24-2015 10:24 AM)shizzle787 Wrote:  
(10-24-2015 10:19 AM)pesik Wrote:  why would we invite marshall if we can take MWC schools? why would marshall be football only when they are in distance

Marshall is a brand name, and 12 for basketball is perfect. They are also 6-1 this year and won 13 games last year, but are terrible at basketball.
Boise State is not that good at basketball. If we are going to add in basketball, we should only add schools that add value (BYU does, Marshall and Boise State do not).

brand name? please stop, are you basing this off a movie

you have zero clue how expansion works

and i dont get how you are using marshalls 2 years of "above average" for their justification for a football invite in a dramatically weaken c-usa (prisoner of the moment)

but saying boise is terrible in basketball when they made the tourney 2 of the last 3 years

ill summarize it for you if we can get mwc we arent touching marshall...if we cant get mwc we probably still would pick marshall
10-24-2015 10:39 AM
macgar32 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
(10-24-2015 10:32 AM)shizzle787 Wrote:  
(10-24-2015 10:27 AM)macgar32 Wrote:  
East:
UConn
Cincy
Temple
Tulane
USF
UCF
E. Carolina
Marshall (football-only)
West:
SMU
Houston
Navy
Memphis
Tulsa
BYU

They would be joining for all sports.

Then they would lose even more money
10-24-2015 10:42 AM
shizzle787 Offline
1st String

(10-24-2015 10:39 AM)pesik Wrote:  

and i dont get how you are using marshalls 2 years of "above average" for their justification for a football invite in a dramatically weaken c-usa (prisoner of the moment)

but saying boise is terrible in basketball when they made the tourney 2 of the last 3 years

ill summarize it for you if we can get mwc we arent touching marshall...if we cant get mwc we probably still would pick marshall

You just contradicted yourself. If Marshall's good two years (more than that, but whatever) is not a good justification for them being in the conference, how is Boise State's two NCAAs in not just 3 three years but a long time a justification for their inclusion for basketball.

Anyway, I might agree with you about adding one other MWC instead of Marshall (for basketball) so trade UNLV and San Diego St. for Marshall and Air Force and have 14 in basketball (with the former) and Boise State and Navy are the two football-only schools in a 16-team football conference.
10-24-2015 10:49 AM
PuddlePirate Offline
1st String

I Root For: inorganic groceries
No.
10-24-2015 10:51 AM
Advertisement

pesik Offline
Legend

(10-24-2015 10:49 AM)shizzle787 Wrote:  

You just contradicted yourself. If Marshall's good two years (more than that, but whatever) is not a good justification for them being in the conference, how is Boise State's two NCAAs in not just 3 three years but a long time a justification for their inclusion for basketball.

Anyway, I might agree with you about adding one other MWC instead of Marshall (for basketball) so trade UNLV and San Diego St. for Marshall and Air Force and have 14 in basketball (with the former) and Boise State and Navy are the two football-only schools in a 16-team football conference.

lol i was point out your contradiction...not adding one of my own

you have marshall as a good football despite it only being recent, but dont count boise as a good basketball despite them having alot of success recently
10-24-2015 10:54 AM
BigHouston Offline
STRONG

I Root For: HOUSTON, USC Trojans
Absolutely NOT.. This league isn't broken.
10-24-2015 10:56 AM
shizzle787 Offline
1st String

(10-24-2015 10:54 AM)pesik Wrote:  

you have marshall as a good football despite it only being recent, but dont count boise as a good basketball despite them having alot of success recently
Regardless, I believe we need to expand to add more good football and basketball schools while minimizing adding schools that are bad at one of the sports (E. Carolina in basketball, Tulane in both). Tulane was only adding because UConn wanted to buy an AAU vote to get into the B1G.
The best scenario in my mind is booting Tulane and adding BYU for all sports.
10-24-2015 10:57 AM
PirateMarv Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
(10-24-2015 10:57 AM)shizzle787 Wrote:  
(10-24-2015 10:24 AM)shizzle787 Wrote:  Marshall is a brand name, and 12 for basketball is perfect. They are also 6-1 this year and won 13 games last year, but are terrible at basketball.

Regardless, I believe we need to expand to add more good football and basketball schools while minimizing adding schools that are bad at one of the sports (E. Carolina in basketball, Tulane in both). Tulane was only adding because UConn wanted to buy an AAU vote to get into the B1G.

You are not a UConn fan. You are a Marshall fan using a UConn handle that will not come to grips with the that Marshall can not compete in the AAC in any sport. No way any UConn fan is asking to have Marshall in their conference. UMass as a full memeber would be a much better addition than Marshall as a football only.
(This post was last modified: 10-24-2015 11:05 AM by PirateMarv.)
10-24-2015 11:04 AM
shizzle787 Offline
1st String

(10-24-2015 11:04 AM)PirateMarv Wrote:  
(10-24-2015 10:39 AM)pesik Wrote:  brand name? please stop, are you basing this off a movie

You are not a UConn fan. You are a Marshall fan using a UConn handle. No way any UConn fan is asking to have Marshall in their conference. UMass as a full memeber would be a much better addition than Marshall as a football only.
UMass has only had one or two winning seasons in basketball in the last twenty years, and almost all of the sports programs suck.
10-24-2015 11:06 AM
Advertisement

UofMemphis Away
Official MT.org Ambassador of Smack

I Root For: Univ of Memphis

Donators
Yep...we should add BYU and Army football only...but they don't want to join...so here we are.
10-24-2015 11:07 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PirateMarv Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
(10-24-2015 11:06 AM)shizzle787 Wrote:  
(10-24-2015 10:49 AM)shizzle787 Wrote:  You just contradicted yourself. If Marshall's good two years (more than that, but whatever) is not a good justification for them being in the conference, how is Boise State's two NCAAs in not just 3 three years but a long time a justification for their inclusion for basketball.

You are not a UConn fan. You are a Marshall fan using a UConn handle. No way any UConn fan is asking to have Marshall in their conference. UMass as a full memeber would be a much better addition than Marshall as a football only.
UMass has only had one or two winning seasons in basketball in the last twenty years, and almost all of the sports programs suck.

UMass fits the AAC profile. Large public tier 1 University and a natural rival to UConn and Temple. Basketball is decent and football can grow just like Temple's and Memphis. UMass just needs to build a football stadium or seriously upgrade the one that they have.
10-24-2015 11:09 AM
shizzle787 Offline
1st String

(10-24-2015 11:09 AM)PirateMarv Wrote:  
(10-24-2015 11:06 AM)shizzle787 Wrote:  
(10-24-2015 10:54 AM)pesik Wrote:  lol i was point out your contradiction...not adding one of my own

UMass fits the AAC profile. Large public tier 1 University and a natural rival to UConn and Temple. Basketball is decent and football can grow just like Temple's and Memphis. UMass just needs to build a football stadium or seriously upgrade the one that they have.
Having UMass in the AAC would be a kick in the balls to UConn as after all the CR UMass would be on our level when before they were about three levels below us conference-wise in both sports before.
10-24-2015 11:11 AM
PirateJim Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ECU/Underdogs
I think I have seen this thread about a thousand times and that is no an exaggeration.
10-24-2015 11:16 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.