Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Pitt Wants to Stop Scheduling G5 H/Hs
Bookmark and Share
CatMom Offline
Getting Old Sucks!

I Root For: TXST
http://www.underdogdynasty.com/2015/10/2...t-panthers

On Sunday, the Associated Press placed Pitt in the AP Top 25 Poll. On Thursday, Pitt's Athletic Director, Scott Barnes, announced that the University of Pittsburgh is just too good to play football games at a Group of Five home stadium.

"We will not continue to play home-and-home with Group of Five schools," Barnes said. "We will play them at our place as part of our scheduling plan. We will not play home-and-home.
10-23-2015 03:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State
RE: Pitt Wants to Stop Scheduling G5 H/Hs
(10-23-2015 03:38 PM)CatMom Wrote:  http://www.underdogdynasty.com/2015/10/2...t-panthers

On Sunday, the Associated Press placed Pitt in the AP Top 25 Poll. On Thursday, Pitt's Athletic Director, Scott Barnes, announced that the University of Pittsburgh is just too good to play football games at a Group of Five home stadium.

"We will not continue to play home-and-home with Group of Five schools," Barnes said. "We will play them at our place as part of our scheduling plan. We will not play home-and-home.

G5 leadership needs to find some gonads and not schedule those who go down that path.

If the behavior spreads then you have to start pondering collusion and antitrust and start seeking some relief in court.
10-23-2015 04:06 PM
cleburneslim Offline
1st String

I Root For: jax state
And this is different than not scheduling fcs schools?
Im pretty sure schools are allowed to schedule whomever they like.

This whole story is ripe with irony,

if the g5 is smart they will do what they should have about autonomy and make a stand.
but they wont.
(This post was last modified: 10-23-2015 04:22 PM by cleburneslim.)
10-23-2015 04:13 PM
CatMom Offline
Getting Old Sucks!

(10-23-2015 04:13 PM)cleburneslim Wrote:  And this is different than not scheduling fcs schools?
It is, for now. G5s are still in the same subdivision as the P5s. They're cutting out half of the teams in their own SD. It's ok, though, if G5s don't go for it the P5s will find it harder and harder to avoid scheduling only P5s.

Plus, Pitt ain't Alabama or UT.
10-23-2015 04:21 PM
Louisiana99 Online
All American

I Root For: Louisiana
All G5's get together and we don't take a penny under $3 million per game. Don't want home and home? It's gonna cost you... Don't like it, enjoy your 6-6 at best record against an all P5 schedule
(This post was last modified: 10-23-2015 04:22 PM by Louisiana99.)
10-23-2015 04:21 PM
Advertisement

Godzilla Offline
All American

I agree that G5 schools should shut out P5 teams that wont at least schedule a 2-1 and play at a G5 school once and a while. They start having rough OOC schedules every year they will be back to negotiate.
10-23-2015 04:22 PM
Michael in Raleigh Offline
All American

I Root For: App State
(10-23-2015 03:38 PM)CatMom Wrote:  http://www.underdogdynasty.com/2015/10/2...t-panthers

This seems like a stupid announcement to make. If the AD at Pitt doesn't want H&H's with G5 schools, just stop scheduling them! Making this announcement just makes Pitt look like jerks.
10-23-2015 04:28 PM
HarmonOliphantOberlanderDevine Offline
The Black Knight of The Deplorables

I Root For: Army, SFU
It is self-preservation on Pitt's part. They have had some bloody disasters on G5 fields.
10-23-2015 04:28 PM
WKUApollo Offline

I Root For: WKU Hilltoppers
I brought this up once before and I'm sure others have but the G5 has power, if they'd stick together.

Approximately 75% of P5 schools have .500 or better seasons every year. That's because they play FCS and G5 schools, mostly at home. If the P5 couldn't play G5's, then only 50% of them would have .500 or better seasons every year. That's 25% more losing programs among the P5 and tons of lost money, endless t'd off alumni, etc.
10-23-2015 04:31 PM
Advertisement

ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State
(10-23-2015 04:13 PM)cleburneslim Wrote:  And this is different than not scheduling fcs schools?

This whole story is ripe with irony,

if the g5 is smart they will do what they should have about autonomy and make a stand.
but they wont.

You can schedule whoever you want for your own individual reasons.

When it gets tricky is when you collude with others to establish or maintain a monopoly power and purposefully damage the business of others, supress real competition and free trade, or create barriers to entry to your market.

It is pretty clear that we have the P5 grouping attempting to maintain and extend a monopoly power...to control the market....to restrict entry into their profitable private reserve....

Even though it is pretty clear.....judges are loathe to wade into all that.

But at some point you either have to hang together....or hang together.

As for a boycott against Pitt.....

Any company may, on its own, refuse to do business with another firm, but an agreement among competitors not to do business with targeted individuals or businesses may be an illegal boycott, especially if the group of competitors working together has market power.

So...G5 all boycotting Pitt might actually be illegal.
10-23-2015 04:43 PM
Pounce FTW Offline
All American

I Root For: GSU - MU - AU
Eh, if Pitt can make it work for them, good for them. Will be interesting to see if they're able to. I'm with Michael in Raleigh in wondering if it was really in their best interest to announce this, though.
10-23-2015 04:49 PM
cleburneslim Offline
1st String

It all seems different when the shoes on the other foot.
Theres no real difference in choosing to not schedule one group of div. 1 schools or the other.
Courts will not intervene and the g5 will selfishly maintain there own interests.
Nothing will happen and there will be no agreement to to not schedule pitt or any other school who chooses this path.
Ps the g5 is currently a different level of football whether they realize it or not. They are already allocated that standing with the accepted moniker of g5.
10-23-2015 04:59 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(10-23-2015 04:59 PM)cleburneslim Wrote:  It all seems different when the shoes on the other foot.
Theres no real difference in choosing to not schedule one group of div. 1 schools or the other.
Courts will not intervene and the g5 will selfishly maintain there own interests.
Nothing will happen and there will be no agreement to to not schedule pitt or any other school who chooses this path.
Ps the g5 is currently a different level of football whether they realize it or not. They are already allocated that standing with the accepted moniker of g5.

If I was a G5 ad. I would immediately announce we will no longer schedule weak p5 schools like Pitt for guarantees. See what happens
10-23-2015 05:21 PM
Advertisement

ericsaid Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App. State/ECU
(10-23-2015 04:59 PM)cleburneslim Wrote:  It all seems different when the shoes on the other foot.

Selfishly?
10-23-2015 05:23 PM
SoCalBobcat78 Offline
All American

I Root For: TXST, UCLA, CBU
Kind of funny when you consider that the best FBS football team in Pennsylvania is a G5 school (Temple). Maybe they watched Temple easily beat Penn State at home earlier this season and just don't want to schedule Temple home-and-home.

The Missouri AD made the same statement last year and then a few weeks later announced a home-and home with UConn. Easy to say, much harder to do. If Pittsburgh was Ohio State I might understand, but they are not. They are Pittsburgh.
10-23-2015 05:49 PM
MJG Offline
1st String

I Root For: U I , UMich, SC

They are getting about five million in CFP money like every P5.
All the P5 get about twenty million from conference TV deals.
So even a Washington ST or Wake Forest can afford to buy home games.
Everyone knows these numbers but this huge revenue gap is fairly new.

The G5 is the second level even if some of the teams are better or have better attendance.
Playoff committee will never let a G5 in the CFP even if eight teams are in it.
My guess the playoff goes to six with one P5 at large and possible but improbable G5 access .
The Access bowl spot becomes the unofficial G5 championship.
10-23-2015 06:21 PM
cleburneslim Offline
1st String

(10-23-2015 05:23 PM)ericsaid Wrote:  [quote='cleburneslim' pid='12541296' dateline='1445637546']

Selfishly?
[/qupeopleote]

Meaning rather than band together they will individually attempt to satisfy or advantage themselves above the other g5 teams.

I believe MJG is onto the truth.
10-23-2015 08:56 PM
Advertisement

RoyK Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Georgia
(10-23-2015 08:56 PM)cleburneslim Wrote:  
(10-23-2015 05:23 PM)ericsaid Wrote:  [quote='cleburneslim' pid='12541296' dateline='1445637546']

Selfishly?
[/qupeopleote]

Meaning rather than band together they will individually attempt to satisfy or advantage themselves above the other g5 teams.

Prolly true but I mean it's Pitt. They have a couple decent seasons but they are mediocre at best most years. A couple non winning seasons and he'll be changing his tune or looking for a job.
10-23-2015 09:35 PM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
(10-23-2015 04:28 PM)HarmonOliphantOberlanderDevine Wrote:  It is self-preservation on Pitt's part. They have had some bloody disasters on G5 fields.

Sounds like an English euphemism.
10-24-2015 04:13 AM
MJG Offline
1st String

I Root For: U I , UMich, SC
(10-23-2015 09:35 PM)RoyK Wrote:  
(10-23-2015 08:56 PM)cleburneslim Wrote:  

Selfishly?
[/qupeopleote]

Prolly true but I mean it's Pitt. They have a couple decent seasons but they are mediocre at best most years. A couple non winning seasons and he'll be changing his tune or looking for a job.
They have a better chance of winning home games.
Plenty of guaranteed money to pay G5 and FCS schools struggling with COA.

Their three games out of conference one P5 H&H one away and a G5 home game.
10-24-2015 07:11 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.