Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

JMU making moves
Centdukesfan Offline
All American

I Root For: Dukes, bud
JMU making moves
OK so who wants us? Beat multiple FBS teams, host ESPN college gameday, generate better attendance than half of you schmos in FBS. Who wants JMU?

Please not all at once.
10-22-2015 01:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UND
RE: JMU making moves
NDSU
10-22-2015 01:33 PM
domer1978 Offline
All American

I Root For: Notre Dame/Chaos
SEC gets first dibs..... Hold out for uneven revenue sharing though.
(This post was last modified: 10-22-2015 01:34 PM by domer1978.)
10-22-2015 01:34 PM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

I Root For: NDSU/Minnesota
Will you go to the Sun Belt?
10-22-2015 01:34 PM
Centdukesfan Offline
All American

I Root For: Dukes, bud
(10-22-2015 01:34 PM)MplsBison Wrote:  Will you go to the Sun Belt?

nahhhhhhhhhh, apparently not
10-22-2015 01:36 PM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

Oh.

Well, that conference is an FBS conference. And the requirement is that you receive an invite to an FBS conference, in order to move to the FBS. And it has Georgia Southern and Appalachian St, two programs that you obviously would say were peers while in FCS.

So.....
10-22-2015 01:58 PM
Advertisement

Stay Cool Offline
The Masked Moderator

I Root For: NIU, tOSU, UC
We can replace akron with you in the MAC, if their rumored move happens. Or if EMU gets kicked out for faking attendance like rumored that might be it too. Since UMASS is leaving, if they swallowed their pride and came back then JMU would seem like a no brainer. Shame, i like JMU. You can take NIU's spot if we go to the AAC when they get raided

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
10-22-2015 02:08 PM
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU
(10-22-2015 01:31 PM)Centdukesfan Wrote:  OK so who wants us? Beat multiple FBS teams, host ESPN college gameday, generate better attendance than half of you schmos in FBS. Who wants JMU?

Please not all at once.

JMU is a lock for the invite to the MAC once a current team leaves.
10-22-2015 02:34 PM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

(10-22-2015 02:34 PM)HuskieJohn Wrote:  
(10-22-2015 01:31 PM)Centdukesfan Wrote:  OK so who wants us? Beat multiple FBS teams, host ESPN college gameday, generate better attendance than half of you schmos in FBS. Who wants JMU?

Please not all at once.

I assume you mean one of the 12 full members.

The last one to leave was NIU, in 1986. They came back in 1997. No other current full member has ever left the MAC, with most having been members since at least the 1970's.
10-22-2015 02:55 PM
chess Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU & Nebraska
Let's see- JMU and... Idaho and... New Mexico State... Massachusetts. Liberty. That's 5.
(This post was last modified: 10-22-2015 04:38 PM by chess.)
10-22-2015 04:36 PM
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU
(10-22-2015 02:55 PM)MplsBison Wrote:  
(10-22-2015 02:34 PM)HuskieJohn Wrote:  

Please not all at once.

I assume you mean one of the 12 full members.

The last one to leave was NIU, in 1986. They came back in 1997. No other current full member has ever left the MAC, with most having been members since at least the 1970's.

Yes.
10-22-2015 04:39 PM
Advertisement

MplsBison Offline
Banned

Ok, so you agree that it's very unlikely for any MAC full member to leave.
10-22-2015 04:44 PM
chess Offline
Heisman

(10-22-2015 04:44 PM)MplsBison Wrote:  Ok, so you agree that it's very unlikely for any MAC full member to leave.

Right now it is- James Madison may have been a good choice if Massachusetts decided to bring their basketball program to the MAC and become a full member.

Conferences could grown to 14 or more and JMU is a great school to consider.
10-22-2015 05:18 PM
chess Offline
Heisman

I just saw that ESPN College Game Day is going to be at James Madison's campus this week. JMU's campus is beautiful.
10-22-2015 06:37 PM
CameramanJ Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ODU
*insert obligatory Springfest joke here*
10-22-2015 06:49 PM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UND
(10-22-2015 02:08 PM)Stay Cool Wrote:  We can replace akron with you in the MAC, if their rumored move happens. Or if EMU gets kicked out for faking attendance like rumored that might be it too. Since UMASS is leaving, if they swallowed their pride and came back then JMU would seem like a no brainer. Shame, i like JMU. You can take NIU's spot if we go to the AAC when they get raided

Don't see JMU moving to the MAC unless there are two openings. JMU wants to take at least Delaware or even Stony Brook with it.

JMU will go CUSA by itself.
10-22-2015 06:55 PM
Advertisement

Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
Here's the problem for JMU.

1) The current setup rewards conferences for having 12 teams and starts to penalize conferences with more than 12
2) The MAC has 12 teams and is reluctant to go to 13 teams. And there's really no one nearby that wants to go all sports with JMU. Unless the MAC is interested in EKU (they aren't). Delaware is not moving anywhere. They're happy in FCS.
3) CUSA isn't interested in JMU. They already have a team in Virginia. And they have 14 teams. If they get raided, its just as likely that they take no one than take anyone. And if they
take a team, it will probably be an existing FBS team.
4) The Sun Belt was turned down by JMU. The Belt has now bid to Coastal Carolina. Its entirely possible that the Belt is no longer interested in JMU, even if they changed their minds.

Short answer is that JMU has gone from controlling its destiny on whether or not it moves to FBS, to now hoping for a whole series of events to occur for them to get a call up.

Basically, the scenarios are:

1) MAC gets raided for 1 team. It would help if that team was in the EAST.
2) CUSA gets raided for 3 teams, of which 2 come from the EAST
3) CUSA gets raided for 1 EASTERN team. Actually that team almost has to be ODU or UNCC for JMU to get considered in a 1 team call up.

The problem for JMU is that realignment has largely stabilized. The only thing that might happen to agitate the scenario involves
to kick off events

1) Expansion in the Big XII-II
2) A raid by the MWC on CUSA.

So even if the Big XII expands, the expansion has to somehow drill down to the MAC or an eastern CUSA member. There's any number of scenarios that get there, but its just as likely that expansion just rolls down like it has in the past hits the AAC first then CUSA then the Belt.

Even if the MWC raids CUSA, its going to be more likely that the raid will focus on the West, not the East. And that will probably mean that CUSA's replacement would be either 'no one' or a team that could plausibly fit in the CUSA West. JMU is not one of those.

Another problem for JMU is that there are now a few independents that can sop up spots in conferences. Remember that Army and or BYU might decide that independance isn't the play anymore.

JMU now needs the equivalent of an inside straight to get a move up, barring some sort of agreement with the Belt that even I no longer think will happen any time soon. Its amazing that they could have been in FBS by now had their administration actually said yes when that's all it would have taken to make the move.

I wish them well and hope they enjoy the spotlight on the team that comes from hosting Game Day...
(This post was last modified: 10-22-2015 07:06 PM by Tom in Lazybrook.)
10-22-2015 06:59 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
(10-22-2015 02:08 PM)Stay Cool Wrote:  We can replace akron with you in the MAC, if their rumored move happens. Or if EMU gets kicked out for faking attendance like rumored that might be it too. Since UMASS is leaving, if they swallowed their pride and came back then JMU would seem like a no brainer. Shame, i like JMU. You can take NIU's spot if we go to the AAC when they get raided

Akron and Eastern Michigan leaves to make room for James Madison, Delaware, Stony Brook, Youngstown State and U. Mass.
10-22-2015 07:04 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
(10-22-2015 07:04 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  

Akron and Eastern Michigan leaves to make room for James Madison, Delaware, Stony Brook, Youngstown State and U. Mass.

I suppose EMU and/or Akron could move down and that could cause a spot to open for JMU. But that's unlikely at this point.
10-22-2015 07:09 PM
DexterDevil Offline
DCTID

I Root For: EMU, DCFC
Re: RE: JMU making moves
(10-22-2015 07:09 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  
(10-22-2015 07:04 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  

I suppose EMU and/or Akron could move down and that could cause a spot to open for JMU. But that's unlikely at this point.

I wouldn't be supportive of EMU moving to FCS, I'd be in full support for D2 in the GLIAC but I doubt that'd ever happen. Its either FBS or D2 for me, no local rivalries in FCS to start with Oakland and Detroit not having varsity football squads. And Eastern Michigan-Wayne State rivalry would be fun considering there's already some hate both ways.
10-22-2015 09:47 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.